Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think Mari's purpose is to pilot an Evangelion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Maya Sakamoto Wants A Paycheck

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

In Training posted:

Im intrigued by mari's existence but it would be nice for them to finally reveal her big boobs

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Mari is cool and I like her role in the story.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I haven't read any interviews lately about the Remakes but a lot of what Anno did at the tail end of the original series and afterwards was out of spite, but I have the feeling he put in Mari as a means to trash the fans for waifu shipping, then made the gay undertones between Shinji and Kaworu from the original series a little less undertone in the movies and it just backfired on him.

Then at the end of 3.0 he said gently caress everything I'm blowing it all up and going on a long vacation

I like Mari's Japanese voice actress and her indecision on whether Mari is English or Scottish.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I keep forgetting that Anno's still a child

He's suffering from the curse of eva

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
She's such a Mary Sue character. She needs to start kicking puppies or some other character flaw soon. (liking the smell of blood doesn't count, just makes her seem like a worse OC) I know Asuka was presented as the perfect pilot at the start but that on purpose, as it linked well with her backstory.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RealFoxy posted:

I haven't read any interviews lately about the Remakes but a lot of what Anno did at the tail end of the original series and afterwards was out of spite, but I have the feeling he put in Mari as a means to trash the fans for waifu shipping, then made the gay undertones between Shinji and Kaworu from the original series a little less undertone in the movies and it just backfired on him.

Then at the end of 3.0 he said gently caress everything I'm blowing it all up and going on a long vacation

I like Mari's Japanese voice actress and her indecision on whether Mari is English or Scottish.

Idk that all sounds insanely simplistic compared to what's in the actual show. So I don't believe it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Mari is cool and I like her role in the story.

Yeah her role of nothing is very intriguing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

She's such a Mary Sue character. She needs to start kicking puppies or some other character flaw soon. (liking the smell of blood doesn't count, just makes her seem like a worse OC) I know Asuka was presented as the perfect pilot at the start but that on purpose, as it linked well with her backstory.

It's weird, she's a Mary Sue who doesn't DO anything. She just kind of hangs around on the sidelines being implied to have importance but never showing it and never doing anything interesting. She's kind of a berserker, like Shinji! She's knows more about Unit 02 than Asuka! She's vaguely connected to GEHIRN due to that one photo featuring her! and so far she's kind of done gently caress all. Honestly she really does seem like she's put in to mock that kind of character.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Slime posted:

It's weird, she's a Mary Sue who doesn't DO anything. She just kind of hangs around on the sidelines being implied to have importance but never showing it and never doing anything interesting. She's kind of a berserker, like Shinji! She's knows more about Unit 02 than Asuka! She's vaguely connected to GEHIRN due to that one photo featuring her! and so far she's kind of done gently caress all. Honestly she really does seem like she's put in to mock that kind of character.

Is Mary Sue really the right term? Mary Sue specifically means a character that is just the author inserting themselves as the most competent and cool person around. Shinji is pretty clearly Anno's self-insert (and not a Mary Sue). Mari just seems like a weird overly strong character.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is Mary Sue really the right term? Mary Sue specifically means a character that is just the author inserting themselves as the most competent and cool person around. Shinji is pretty clearly Anno's self-insert (and not a Mary Sue). Mari just seems like a weird overly strong character.

People say Mary Sue now to mean a character who doesn't have any depth to them, rather than the more specific idea you're referring to.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone who uses Mary Sue at all can safely be ignored be since it just means 'fictional woman I don't like' now.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, you're a real Mary Sue.:smug:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

I don't even think Shinji is a self-insert, but I do believe that Anno is a bitter old man who hates his fans and is trying to insert as much things as possible to make fun of the fans who were missing the point of his fairly nihilistic and grumpy take on robot anime.

Sakurazuka posted:

Anyone who uses Mary Sue at all can safely be ignored be since it just means 'woman I don't like' now.
You're a mary sue

SHISHKABOB posted:

That's new to me, but I can understand why, given my gender. It's always been such a dumb thing to say. It's the opposite of critical analysis, and just generalizes and smooths over in all the wrong ways.
If you've ever watched Star Trek Wesley Crusher is probably the worst example of this regardless of whatever you want to call it. It's just a writer insert that's perfect in every single way without flaws.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

Anyone who uses Mary Sue at all can safely be ignored be since it just means 'woman I don't like' now.

That's new to me, but I can understand why, given my gender. It's always been such a dumb thing to say. It's the opposite of critical analysis, and just generalizes and smooths over in all the wrong ways.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Anyone who uses Mary Sue at all can safely be ignored be since it just means 'fictional woman I don't like' now.
"Character written as if they were inserted after the fact in a fanfic" doesn't really roll off the tongue all that well.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

"Character written as if they were inserted after the fact in a fanfic" doesn't really roll off the tongue all that well.

That's kind of missing the point of their post, which really wasn't concerned with what you're saying.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm just gonna call her Mari Sue from now on. :v:

[edit] She's like, the Wesley from Star Trek of Eva, only there's no Picard to tell her to shut up. She's a better pilot than anyone and knows all these secret codes for the Eva's yet she hasn't actually had a successful fight yet!

She'll get redeemed in 4.0 though when it turns out she's a gender swapped Shinji from another timeline.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 13, 2017

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

stay in e/n and the posting ghetto forum please

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I was in a book store yesterday and saw the evangelion Manga omnibus which included Mari being Yui's age and also gay for Yui which is some good good stuff.

Also the Manga ending is pretty cop-out.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

stay in e/n and the posting ghetto forum please

blow it out your rear end

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

RealFoxy posted:

I haven't read any interviews lately about the Remakes but a lot of what Anno did at the tail end of the original series and afterwards was out of spite

This isn't really true, though. It's the end result of a long game of telephone starting with "Anno got death threats over Episode 26" and "he put one of those death threats in EoE" which is also true. However, he actually got a ton of positive (and just confused) correspondence over 26, and there's more of that in those parts of EoE than there are death threats.

Also, the original episodes 25 and 26 were very close to what we got in EoE; the movie wasn't radically altered out of spite, it was already meant to be like that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This isn't really true, though. It's the end result of a long game of telephone starting with "Anno got death threats over Episode 26" and "he put one of those death threats in EoE" which is also true. However, he actually got a ton of positive (and just confused) correspondence over 26, and there's more of that in those parts of EoE than there are death threats.

Also, the original episodes 25 and 26 were very close to what we got in EoE; the movie wasn't radically altered out of spite, it was already meant to be like that.

Can you give more information about 25/26? The story I'd always heard was that they just ran out of budget for the last two episodes and rewrote them to work around that, but it sounds like slightly more was going on based on your post.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Can you give more information about 25/26? The story I'd always heard was that they just ran out of budget for the last two episodes and rewrote them to work around that, but it sounds like slightly more was going on based on your post.

They didn't run out of budget (in the sense of money) for the last episodes so much as they ran out of time because they took a kinda dumb gamble and lost. If you look on EvaGeeks you can dig up the original script for 25/26, which was sent to the TV broadcaster who took one look at it and were like "hahaha no, we're not airing this." So they had to scramble to come up with something for 25 and 26 before the deadline and that's where we got the actual TV versions.

(And some of the stuff from the original plan did stay in, it's just that it's mostly just a few frames here and there. Watch 25/26 closely and you'll see a bunch of quick flashes to stuff that's going on in EoE.)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I imagine they saw INT. Hospital. Mid-afternoon. SHINJI begins MASTURBATING and picked up the phone to call Gainax

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

(And some of the stuff from the original plan did stay in, it's just that it's mostly just a few frames here and there. Watch 25/26 closely and you'll see a bunch of quick flashes to stuff that's going on in EoE.)

I really need to rewatch the whole series, it's been a while. Which version does everyone recommend watching? I know the various releases have had some differences.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I really need to rewatch the whole series, it's been a while. Which version does everyone recommend watching? I know the various releases have had some differences.

Watch the Director's Cut, the restored scenes are slightly inconsistent (OR ARE THEY?) but they're still worth seeing for the insight you get into things, and it's just for four episodes towards the end.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

If you can read Japanese:

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:End_of_Evangelion_Screenplays_(Episode_25%27)
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:End_of_Evangelion_Screenplays_(Episode_26%27)

I can't, but some choice highlights from the "list of differences" someone compiled:

quote:

"Shinji masturbates in his room instead of at Asuka's bedside. The presentation is a bit more surreal than the final: Shinji's room in pointilism, unspecified "inserted images," imagery of "breasts becoming dew," Shinji's face as he ejaculates, etc., and his room returning to normal afterward.

So yeah, it was never gonna happen. :v:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:End_of_Evangelion_Screenplays_(Episode_25%27)
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:End_of_Evangelion_Screenplays_(Episode_26%27)

I can't, but some choice highlights from the "list of differences" someone compiled:

And to think I first watched this stuff when I was 10. I was sorely unequipped to understand it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

nice

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

And to think I first watched this stuff when I was 10. I was sorely unequipped to understand it.

Watching poo poo like this as a kid is the best way to do it because we take it all so drat seriously.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

noice

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They didn't run out of budget (in the sense of money) for the last episodes so much as they ran out of time because they took a kinda dumb gamble and lost. If you look on EvaGeeks you can dig up the original script for 25/26, which was sent to the TV broadcaster who took one look at it and were like "hahaha no, we're not airing this." So they had to scramble to come up with something for 25 and 26 before the deadline and that's where we got the actual TV versions.

Weren't they also stretched thin already because they had to redo a bunch of the plot as a result of the Aum Shinrikyo sarin attack?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Weren't they also stretched thin already because they had to redo a bunch of the plot as a result of the Aum Shinrikyo sarin attack?

I don't remember; if you want to dig through the interviews and report back, be my guest.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

blow it out your rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Paracelsus posted:

I remember hearing this too. Eva is such a convoluted mysterious show that it becomes really easy to believe all this crazy borderline-myth around its making. It's like the craziness of the show leaks into your reality. Long live the new flesh.