Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Did you ever have a dream about a great book you read then realised on waking it doesn't exist :(
And don't say 'well write it then.' I have no talent :( :( :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Write it badly then, and rewrite it until it's good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
John Darnielle's new novel Universal Harvester came out today, and Wolf In White Van is on sale for Kindle for $4. WiWV was good, and I'm excited that Darnielle wrote what sounds like a horror novel.

George Saunders's first novel, Lincoln in the Bardo, comes out on Valentine's Day.

It's a good week for books. I'm excited for both.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i also picked up universal harvester today and might even have enough free time to read it before August or so

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I was writing about painting, and it took me days to notice that when referring to Raphael, I' named him Raphael Buonarroti.

I hadn't even showed it to anyone but I can tell you I was red up to my ears.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
How does everyone feel about the Wordsworth Classics paperbacks?

I'm looking at this edition of Ulysses, since it's only $2, but I don't wanna waste $2 that could go towards a better edition.

Is the binding decent? Font size legible? Room for notation? Paper quality, etc...

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Franchescanado posted:

I'm looking at this edition of Ulysses, since it's only $2, but I don't wanna waste $2 that could go towards a better edition.

Is the binding decent? Font size legible? Room for notation? Paper quality, etc...

Mass trade paperback means the size of a matchbox. Quality is always the same... judge it based on whatever other experience you have with the little things.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bandiet posted:

Mass trade paperback means the size of a matchbox. Quality is always the same... judge it based on whatever other experience you have with the little things.

I looked into it and it has matchbox print. I'll look for a better edition.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Franchescanado posted:

Their translations are often insanely bad. Avoid.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

If you want the 1922 text then oxford do a nice edition of that with plenty of notes etc.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

You can get the Penguin Modern Classics one in a big edition with notes and stuff or a smaller one without, both are perfectly pleasant. The spine on mine is bent a bit but it's not too bad for a paperback that size. It's the 1960 text iirc.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Shouldn't I be looking for the Gabler edition of Ulysses? I heard that's the one to go for, since most of the academic papers and essays on Ulysses use that edition for reference?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The Gabler edition is controversial, because it made a bunch of mistakes, and as I understand it the actual differences from the Bodley Head edition are not very big. I don't think it makes a difference unless you're planning to publish about it though.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

What are good editions of the (Complete) Canterbury tales? The library has ones by Ackroyd, Coghill, Raffel, Wright, Frank Ernest Hill and a few others.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Shouldn't I be looking for the Gabler edition of Ulysses? I heard that's the one to go for, since most of the academic papers and essays on Ulysses use that edition for reference?

Of the commonly available editions that I own:

Gabler is a nice size, labels chapter numbers, has running line numbers, and has enough room on the pages for notes. Very well printed book, good heft, will hold up being knocked about in a bag or backpack. Some font choices I disagree with (boldness of newspaper headlines in Aeolus, separation of catechism style questions in Ithaca), but c'est la vie, that's minor pedantic poo poo. More importantly, it has some odd mistakes throughout the text that Gabler and Kidd have been arguing about for 30+ years. Read about that here: http://www.nybooks.com/articles/1988/06/30/the-scandal-of-ulysses-2/

Even more fun arguments can be read about which text is best can be read here: http://www.antwerpjamesjoycecenter.com/GJS4/GJS4%20Herbert.htm

The Vintage International paperback edition is a good reading copy, and is the one that's in my workbag right now. Good paper quality, sturdy enough to carry around, and easily replaceable so I don't feel bad if something happens to it. Take 5 minutes and pencil in the chapter numbers and titles if it bothers you the way it does me, and you're all set.

The Penguin classics paperback is the same text as the Vintage, but I don't like their paperstock as much, and it feels like their book glue is a bit cheaper. The newer editions with may have corrected this, but the old green or black spine ones always felt cheap. The paper was too thin, and I didn't even need to use a bookmark because I could tell where my finger had left oil on the too thin pages (and I wash my hands far too many times a day, thanks to OCD).

The Modern Library is a nice hardcover, but as with most of their books, I feel like I'm going to mess it up if I'm reading it at work, rather than at home. Nice binding and weight, good paper.

If you don't mind reading on an iPad or whatever, you can also go the electronic route, and use the extensively annotated version put up by Colombia University: http://www.columbia.edu/~fms5/ulys.htm

I'd personally recommend the Vintage as far as reading copies go.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 16, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Of the commonly available editions that I own:

Gabler is a nice size, labels chapter numbers, has running line numbers, and has enough room on the pages for notes. Very well printed book, good heft, will hold up being knocked about in a bag or backpack. Some font choices I disagree with (boldness of newspaper headlines in Aeolus, separation of catechism style questions in Ithaca), but c'est la vie, that's minor pedantic poo poo. More importantly, it has some odd mistakes throughout the text that Gabler and Kidd have been arguing about for 30+ years. Read about that here: http://www.nybooks.com/articles/1988/06/30/the-scandal-of-ulysses-2/

Even more fun arguments can be read about which text is best can be read here: http://www.antwerpjamesjoycecenter.com/GJS4/GJS4%20Herbert.htm

The Vintage International paperback edition is a good reading copy, and is the one that's in my workbag right now. Good paper quality, sturdy enough to carry around, and easily replaceable so I don't feel bad if something happens to it. Take 5 minutes and pencil in the chapter numbers and titles if it bothers you the way it does me, and you're all set.

The Penguin classics paperback is the same text as the Vintage, but I don't like their paperstock as much, and it feels like their book glue is a bit cheaper. The newer editions with may have corrected this, but the old green or black spine ones always felt cheap. The paper was too thin, and I didn't even need to use a bookmark because I could tell where my finger had left oil on the too thin pages (and I wash my hands far too many times a day, thanks to OCD).

The Modern Library is a nice hardcover, but as with most of their books, I feel like I'm going to mess it up if I'm reading it at work, rather than at home. Nice binding and weight, good paper.

If you don't mind reading on an iPad or whatever, you can also go the electronic route, and use the extensively annotated version put up by Colombia University: http://www.columbia.edu/~fms5/ulys.htm

I'd personally recommend the Vintage as far as reading copies go.

This is awesome. Thank you.

I already have a copy on my Kindle (pretty much every version is $1 on kindle), but I wanted to have a physical copy as well for notes, annotations, reference, etc.

I think I'm going to go for the Vintage International, but I'll go to my local used bookshop this weekend and compare them.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I read all of Jack McDevitt's Alex Benedict books, and all the Long Earth books, and now I'm starting on The Expanse. Are they a good addition to my downward spiral of series binges?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I read all of Jack McDevitt's Alex Benedict books, and all the Long Earth books, and now I'm starting on The Expanse. Are they a good addition to my downward spiral of series binges?

They are rather readable and the plot keeps moving forward in every chapter. Some people dislike the genre hopping (book four is pretty much a western in space) and there is no depth, characterization nor elegant prose but if you could handle McDevitt, you'll be fine.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The BBC has released Colson Whitehead's The Underground Railroad as a free streamable audio book for the next 30 days.

It's a good book, though not a light read by any means.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 21, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

They are rather readable and the plot keeps moving forward in every chapter. Some people dislike the genre hopping (book four is pretty much a western in space) and there is no depth, characterization nor elegant prose but if you could handle McDevitt, you'll be fine.

Okay I read the first two and wow, the world building is terrible, everybody talks exactly the same way, and the authors really, really, really hate people in their late teens or early 20's.

I guess I'm invested now, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like the forum should be renamed "The Book Burn" because that's what I've always said in my brain.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
agreed

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Dyubbuk Barn

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Hey guys! Wanted to share a project that some friends and family of mine are working on. A series of children's books talking to kids about difficult subjects. The current ones they're working on deal with sexual abuse, parental disability, and miscarriage. I know these may not be situations you or your children have to deal with currently, but they're still important subjects for children to learn about. This is a project near to my heart, as my brother-in-law had a stroke when his daughter was only one, leaving him mostly disabled. Now that she's 8 she's learned to deal with it really well, but it's hard to explain to other children why her daddy is how he is.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and please check it out. :)
Chasing Rainbow Tales

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I posted this over in the eReader thread in IYG but I might have some better luck here:

quote:

I just bought a Voyage because I broke my paperwhite. Made me think, hey, I should buy a case,* so I did. It's a good case, I like the way it looks, but I don't like the way it feels when I hold it like a paperback. The "hinge" feels loose, if that makes any sense. It's soft to fold around the edge of the kindle but I can't "push" on it the way I'd push toward the spine of a book because the hinge folds back over itself in a Z shape (where the top and bottom of the Z are the front and the back of the cover, and the diagonal is the hinge).

I know this is like the most quibbling poo poo ever, but I like having my thumbs on the edges of the book when I read and my fingers pressed against the spine. I'm not getting that with a soft hinge. Anyone know of a good case that solves this first-est of first-world problems?

*this one, if anybody cares: https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Folio...age%2Bcase&th=1

Asbury fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 9, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you don't want to spend much then go for the Amazon basics 7" fire case if you can remember to keep putting it back in. I splurged and bought the origami case for my voyage and have had no problems with it.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
animorphs

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
http://io9.gizmodo.com/trump-supporters-get-mad-because-they-think-the-man-in-1793159888

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

who gives a poo poo

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A human heart posted:

who gives a poo poo

Me!

Also, philip k dick readers might find it amusing, and that's like 3/4ths of this forum

Or maybe I posted that link to the wrong thread by accident

*Rolls the I Ching*

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 10, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I read PKD.... or did I? :o:

Ridley Scott: He did. He did read Philip K. Dick.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Powaqoatse posted:

I read PKD.... or did I? :o:

You read PKD and then the government erased it.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
in my entire life i have only read one book, gabriel garcia marquez's fatalistic epic one hundred years of solitude. i first read it in kindergarten and have re-read it several hundred times in the decades hence. i know it off by heart in both english and spanish. my life is slowly transforming to fit the book's ideals. i am trapped in a hell of my own devising and i see no way out but i would rather be ensnared in garcia marquez's universe than any of the warhammer bullshit or frilly elf fiascos or japanese light novels about loving expensive designer household appliances with the face of blushing toddlers that the nerds in this sub-forum are into. i will kill each and every one of you

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
same

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
same

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Mods pls namechange to "frilly elf fiasco"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Avshalom posted:

in my entire life i have only read one book, gabriel garcia marquez's fatalistic epic one hundred years of solitude. i first read it in kindergarten and have re-read it several hundred times in the decades hence. i know it off by heart in both english and spanish. my life is slowly transforming to fit the book's ideals. i am trapped in a hell of my own devising and i see no way out but i would rather be ensnared in garcia marquez's universe than any of the warhammer bullshit or frilly elf fiascos or japanese light novels about loving expensive designer household appliances with the face of blushing toddlers that the nerds in this sub-forum are into. i will kill each and every one of you

That sounds like a good book, I should read it

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

That sounds like a good book, I should read it
then we can fight cocks, i'll insult your wife and you can kill me with a spear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

gah wrong thread again