Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I killed a favorite t-shirt the other day by accident so I'm taking rashguard suggestions. The thought of me wearing something skintight is terrifying but I don't want to rip up t-shirts.

I'm the definition of "stout" (I could lose ten or fifteen pounds but I'm tree trunk shaped) so if anyone has a comfortable suggestion I'll be all over it.

Also holy hell, one match for one hundred bucks?! I don't care if someone is loaded, that hurts my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I killed a favorite t-shirt the other day by accident so I'm taking rashguard suggestions. The thought of me wearing something skintight is terrifying but I don't want to rip up t-shirts.

I'm the definition of "stout" (I could lose ten or fifteen pounds but I'm tree trunk shaped) so if anyone has a comfortable suggestion I'll be all over it.

Also holy hell, one match for one hundred bucks?! I don't care if someone is loaded, that hurts my brain.

I have 2 of these and they are far and away my favorite rash guards I own

http://www.ringside.com/hayabusa-me...rYt8aAsK-8P8HAQ

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I've never done very well at competitions, did four comps at white belt, first one I got hosed up really quickly, second one I didn't get subbed but lost both rounds on points, third one I beat one guy but hosed up next round and didn't medal, fourth one didn't medal but beat one opponent.

Did one comp at blue belt with only one opponent who I beat really easily and then hated that because it felt too easy.

Just did my first purple belt competition and lost by 24 points (!) and that was me out. Bronze medal. Yay. I understand where it went wrong wrong though, which is of value, it just dents my pride a little. There really is no lying to yourself when you grapple, I wasn't good enough, and I made a lot of mistakes that were capitalised upon.

I am going to compete again because I think I've got it sorted in my head now where I'm less nervous, I just resent spending an evening's worth of beer money on what is likely to be one to two fights. Interestingly (for me anyway), I'd thought to myself beforehand that if I didn't do well I'd probably not compete again, but I actually want to do some more.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

manyak posted:

If i could guarantee i was gonna get destroyed 8 times every time i went to a grappling tournament i'd compete a lot more tbh. Im over paying $100 to sit at a high school gymnasium all day then get like 1 match badly judged and badly refereed against someone of wildly varying skill level

Yeah I definitely appreciate GI's format and plan on doing their event next time they're back in town. Probably another one or two competitions before then as well, but probably not til I get enough class time in to patch up some newly discovered holes.

One question I've been mulling over lately is, as a blue belt who intends on grappling for a long time to come, whether I'm better served by focusing on my strengths or weaknesses. I'm a long skinny and non-explosive guy who's probably built to pull guard, but my school is MMA flavored and even in gi classes we're highly encouraged to work takedowns, with guard pulling being pretty much banned. It's a nice way to force myself to get decent at wrestling, but I'm still pretty lame all in all. I'm willing to eat losses now if it makes me a well rounded purple or brown belt, I just hope that that's actually what's happening and that I'm not wasting time trying to force a style fundamentally incompatible with my build and temperament.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Are there non $100 tournaments that are also run decently?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Captain Log posted:

https://www.justsaiyan.co/

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Decades posted:

Yeah I definitely appreciate GI's format and plan on doing their event next time they're back in town. Probably another one or two competitions before then as well, but probably not til I get enough class time in to patch up some newly discovered holes.

One question I've been mulling over lately is, as a blue belt who intends on grappling for a long time to come, whether I'm better served by focusing on my strengths or weaknesses. I'm a long skinny and non-explosive guy who's probably built to pull guard, but my school is MMA flavored and even in gi classes we're highly encouraged to work takedowns, with guard pulling being pretty much banned. It's a nice way to force myself to get decent at wrestling, but I'm still pretty lame all in all. I'm willing to eat losses now if it makes me a well rounded purple or brown belt, I just hope that that's actually what's happening and that I'm not wasting time trying to force a style fundamentally incompatible with my build and temperament.

What are your goals? If youre trying to be the best grappler/fighter possible then you should work on your weak spots to the point where they arent easily exploitable and dont get in the way of your A-game. If youre doing it more to have fun & stimulation probably just focus on what comes naturally or you find more enjoyable

If you arent built for it and didnt start young and dont really have fun doing it, you arent gonna become a good wrestler. Even pro fighters you rarely see go from having bad wrestling to good wrestling mid career (im assuming you arent really young). If youre at a really takedown heavy school thats fine because youll learn to work your game around theirs and find lots of counters that work with your body type. imo

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Don't forget about rashguards for your legs :getin:
https://www.scramblestuff.us/collections/spats-tights

These ones in particular never go out of style:

(Treasure trail not included.)

I've had the rainbow spats for about 6-7 years (Christ, I feel old now), and aside from some wear on the knees, and a small seam starting to come undone they have held up spectacularly well. I have a rotation of 4 spats now, and all of the scramble stuff...stuff has held up pretty dang well. I have a pair of black 1.0's (linked are the 2.0's so mine are older and not as good), and they have some wear on the knees.

Spats>rashguards. Get on it. They instantly make your foot lock game 100% more dangerous!

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 17, 2017

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Jesus I think I remember the post where you bought those...

Re competitions: killing a day waiting is what sinks it for me. It's just not OK to lose that much time for me

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Jesus I think I remember the post where you bought those...

Re competitions: killing a day waiting is what sinks it for me. It's just not OK to lose that much time for me

Goddammit, now we're both old, but at least we're in good company. :gbsmith:

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Oh yeah one other thing about that grappling industries tournament is we were all out of there and eating burritos by like 4 pm which is freaking amazing.

manyak posted:

If you arent built for it and didnt start young and dont really have fun doing it, you arent gonna become a good wrestler.

Lol, yeah 0/3 over here. One bit of good news is graduating to masters this year where I'll hopefully feel a bit less slow at least. I think I'm pretty realistic about my potential and know I won't be a great wrestler. Ultimately I am a hobbyist and in this for fun. That said I'm also a planner, and having a competent single would be fun long term. I'll stop worrying and train.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Thanks for all the suggestions, my leg got pretty hosed and I didn't notice until waaaay later. I probably wouldn't have thought of magic grapple underpants until I lost a kneecap.

Have a disgusting picture I took when asking a friend if ice would help! I've never had a welt like I got below my knee.

It's fun being the "big guy" that gets paired with all the loving monsters in the gym. I'm used to gyms with at least a few people that look like they are there for physical fitness. Everyone at the gym that looks bigger than two bills is beastly.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions, my leg got pretty hosed and I didn't notice until waaaay later. I probably wouldn't have thought of magic grapple underpants until I lost a kneecap.

Have a disgusting picture I took when asking a friend if ice would help! I've never had a welt like I got below my knee.

It's fun being the "big guy" that gets paired with all the loving monsters in the gym. I'm used to gyms with at least a few people that look like they are there for physical fitness. Everyone at the gym that looks bigger than two bills is beastly.

Jesus, that bruising. Just remember, you ran into a door if anyone asks.

EDIT: the funniest thing about the grapple underpants is that I can unironically say that I was using them before they got cool (at least around my parts). It's me, I'm the grapple hipster.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

manyak posted:

If i could guarantee i was gonna get destroyed 8 times every time i went to a grappling tournament i'd compete a lot more tbh. Im over paying $100 to sit at a high school gymnasium all day then get like 1 match badly judged and badly refereed against someone of wildly varying skill level

Yep. I agree completely with this.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Drewjitsu posted:

Jesus, that bruising. Just remember, you ran into a door if anyone asks.

EDIT: the funniest thing about the grapple underpants is that I can unironically say that I was using them before they got cool (at least around my parts). It's me, I'm the grapple hipster.

I completely thought the near kevlar feel of the gi pants would prevent leg mangling. I need grapple pants.

My dad, who did martial arts in the seventies, was gobsmacked when he saw my jacket for the first time. He said it felt like wood and was nothing like when he was in San Francisco learning God knows what.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The problem with gi pants are that they are loose so you can get the equivalent of mat burn pretty easily. I wear spats and a rash guard every time I train.

I forgot to mention, I got a bunch of Sub Sports spats and a couple rash guards off Amazon because they're cheap and they seem to hold up pretty well. Nothing like my Hayabusa and Shoyoroll stuff but they're 1/3 the price.

JaySB fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 18, 2017

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I completely thought the near kevlar feel of the gi pants would prevent leg mangling. I need grapple pants.

My dad, who did martial arts in the seventies, was gobsmacked when he saw my jacket for the first time. He said it felt like wood and was nothing like when he was in San Francisco learning God knows what.

He was probably doing kung fu or karate, and those gi's are very thin. (if you ever get a chance to gi choke an idiot who has a thin gi on day one, do it, that poo poo is like piano wire.)

Also wear spats underneath a gi, top and bottom. I find that gi pants chew up my knees real bad.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
If you live in Canada, MEC sell very nice rashguards for around 20$ CAN and i'm actually happy I checked them out before shelling out another 50-60$ US for a rashguard or two online.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Odddzy posted:

If you live in Canada, MEC sell very nice rashguards for around 20$ CAN and i'm actually happy I checked them out before shelling out another 50-60$ US for a rashguard or two online.

Can you link the ones you mean from their website?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

CommonShore posted:

Can you link the ones you mean from their website?

I checked online but I can't see them well on their website, the pics are kinda small, I just took some MEC branded Tshirts in black that are super light and some other long sleeved rashguard they have in black off the racks in their St Denis Location. To be fair though they were having a sale so I don't know if the price is worth it usually. Online though the ones that were plain colors and seemed to match what i've got had a reasonable price and i'd buy them again if I was in need of a new pair or two.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

JaySB posted:

The problem with gi pants are that they are loose so you can get the equivalent of mat burn pretty easily. I wear spats and a rash guard every time I train.

I forgot to mention, I got a bunch of Sub Sports spats and a couple rash guards off Amazon because they're cheap and they seem to hold up pretty well. Nothing like my Hayabusa and Shoyoroll stuff but they're 1/3 the price.

I'd PM you but I think this information is useful to the thread. What particular line of the rashguards from your recommendation do you wear?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Captain Log posted:

I have a question and it isn't a dig at anyone. Why would you dislike competing? It doesn't really seem different than rolling and I personally haven't seen big audiences at any tourneys I've attended.

I do understand not wanting to financially put yourself out for the experience, though.
It's the paying $80 to sit around for 8+ hours to roll for a total of 5 to 25 minutes.

EDIT: Oops, didn't mean to reply to a 2 day old question. I've been away for a couple of days and was just catching up.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 18, 2017

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'd PM you but I think this information is useful to the thread. What particular line of the rashguards from your recommendation do you wear?

The Hayabusa Metaru 47 is the one I linked earlier and is definitely my favorite.

These are the Sub Sports ones I have
https://www.amazon.com/Sports-DUAL-...Brashguard&th=1

And Shoyoroll and Albino & Preto is basically whatever they release if I feel like being fancy.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I bought some Hayabusa shorts a year ago or so. They felt great while wearing, but they did not last very long. My Amazon $20 shorts, though, have lasted years now. Kind of want to just switch to spats with no shorts, though :getin:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Neon Belly posted:

just switch to spats with no shorts, though :getin:

:getin:

If you get cheaper spats you might also want to get some spandex booty shorts to wear on top like a super hero, as the cheaper spats are a bit transparent when they stretch.

Check Winners for the spandex booty shorts.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

CommonShore posted:

get some spandex booty shorts to wear on top like a super hero
:eyepop: Ingenious!

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

A couple cool details in this sequence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldNiJAkknmY

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I wear cheap Chinese-made Adventure Time ladies tights sometimes instead of spats. :getin:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

JaySB posted:

A couple cool details in this sequence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldNiJAkknmY
Yeah, good stuff, thanks.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

looks like the PSU vs OkState dual killed flo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That video is wonderful. That's the best technique vid for my top game that I've seen in a month. Thanks, Jay!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I watched that video this morning (well, some of it, anyway), and then literally hit the first bit of it today in sparring. :stare:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Do people routinely give up side control for half guard? What is the benefit?

I saw it twice tonight on the ufc card, guys stepping what looks like intentionally into half guard when they had side control

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I saw it twice tonight on the ufc card, guys stepping what looks like intentionally into half guard when they had side control

Go watch that video I just posted. In MMA it's a lot easier to posture up and strike from half guard because you can still control the hips and legs while striking

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

willie_dee posted:

I do it to spin for knee bars and calf slicers, but I suck at grappling and probably wouldn't get away with it against better people than me.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Under unified rules where can you really go from side control? Work for mount, far arm submissions, darce, etc all things that could very well lose you top position if they fail. If positional wrestling and ground and pound are your long suit rather than submissions then being in half guard offers you a leg turk to maintain a top position.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Pocket Billiards posted:

Under unified rules where can you really go from side control? Work for mount, far arm submissions, darce, etc all things that could very well lose you top position if they fail. If positional wrestling and ground and pound are your long suit rather than submissions then being in half guard offers you a leg turk to maintain a top position.

Even if you are a submission guy the strikes and control from half guard can open them up.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
This all makes a lot of sense. I find it easier to retain top control from side control by spreading out like superman than having one of my legs hooked up, but if you know what you are doing then I totally get it.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Who was it in Pride that had devastating knees to the head from north south? GSP had some really nasty knees to the body from top side control as well - imagine if those were allowed to go to the head. It seems that it's the unified rules neutering knees from side control that makes it a less desirable position that top half since all you're left with from a GnP standpoint is short elbows and hammerfists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Randleman maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BL4pgndH2M