Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

I think you hold the ENTER button for a second to start setting the temperature and that holding the other button fucks everything up, but I’m going by muscle memory here. I have a hard time remembering myself if I haven’t used that model in a while.

Students don’t stand a chance.

Yeah, it is. I know that because it's completely counterintuitive UI design -- because 90% of the time the reason you change the temperature is to give it a little boost for some big heat-sinky part, so what do you want to do? Raise it UP. Obviously you do that by pressing UP, right?

And it doesn't even like, blink "CAL" for a second before you start to adjust the temperature setpoint, either. You just get the exact same blinking 3-digit readout as when you adjust the temperature for real, but with a dot in the bottom this time! Obviously who could confuse those modes??

I've taken to just telling the students DO NOT ADJUST THE IRONS, YOUR SOLDERING ISN'T WORKING BECAUSE OF SOME REASON OTHER THAN TEMPERATURE and that works for most people, but there's always some smartass who thinks they know better and that's why I always zero the irons out before I use one.

Also since I'm ranting I'm gonna rant about the people I find using the 888s to burn holes through plastic when not only do we have the proper tools (drill presses, punches, loving CNC mills, etc) but there are also lovely burnt-up Radio Shack irons RIGHT THERE for any garbage woodburning you need to do. Jesus loving Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

I've taken to just telling the students DO NOT ADJUST THE IRONS, YOUR SOLDERING ISN'T WORKING BECAUSE OF SOME REASON OTHER THAN TEMPERATURE and that works for most people, but there's always some smartass who thinks they know better and that's why I always zero the irons out before I use one.

There’s a way to set a password on the FX‐888D so that it’s impossible to enter adjust mode without entering the password.

I recommend that.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

taqueso posted:

Anyone got tips on using solder braid more effectively? I seem to have a hard time heating through the braid and getting solder to flow. Sometimes I end up soldering the braid to the pins. This is with lead-free solder and some (I think/hope) quality techspray braid with fairly active flux.

I use some generic braid and a flux pen. Soak down the braid and the joint, lay the braid over the joint and apply the iron to the braid. If there is a lot of solder, I slide the braid as it is soaking up the solder. For cleaning through hole joints you're probably better off with one of those spring loaded solder suckers.

Acid Reflux posted:

dab the tip into your Hakko tip cleaner (if you don't have one of these, you're missing out on some goddamn magic)

Agreed 100%. After using one, there is no way I'd go back to using a wet sponge.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 16, 2017

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Here is my first big arduino project in progress that I've been working on as a side project at work. It is basically a battery tester that goes through four states: drain the battery to 6.7V, charge it for 4 hours, drain it to 6.7V and record the time it takes to drain, charge it again. I built it on a breadboard and got it working, then tried build a hardwired prototype and everything went to hell. A relay that is supposed to click on start wasn't clicking and I was getting garbage on the LCD. I had a few wires in the wrong place and thought I fried the arduino, so I spent a couple hours swapping that out (using jumper wires where I could - screw hardwiring everything). It still didn't work, so I swapped out the LCD next and it kind of worked, but the contrast bias wasn't working very well. I went to measure the bias voltage to see if it swept from 0-5V and realized I had soldered the bias wire to the ground side of the pot instead of the wiper :doh: I finally got it all calibrated and working correctly last night, but there were a couple times I just wanted to give up. If it was a personal project, I probably would have given up, but the company had a couple hundred invested in this so far and the boss wouldn't have been to happy with me if I just said fuckitall.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress you for getting paid for doing this is all I have to say about that

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That tip cleaner's just a brass sponge right?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
yup.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

That tip cleaner's just a brass sponge right?
A magic brass sponge!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'd like to build my own jumper wires. The male ones are easy enough (solder a header pin to a wire and put heat shrink on) but I'd also like to make the square insulated female pins. I have a crimper, but have no idea what the part numbers are for the female crimp pins or insulating collars. Does anybody know where I can get them, or even better, a link to them on Digikey?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Good, because it's 30 quid over here but generic ones are 5.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

SkunkDuster posted:

I'd like to build my own jumper wires. The male ones are easy enough (solder a header pin to a wire and put heat shrink on) but I'd also like to make the square insulated female pins. I have a crimper, but have no idea what the part numbers are for the female crimp pins or insulating collars. Does anybody know where I can get them, or even better, a link to them on Digikey?

I couldn't find the singles on Digikey, but what you're looking for is called a Dupont connector. I did find some generic stuff on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/SUNKEE-100pcs-Dupont-Connector-Housing/dp/B00CGXNFBK (housings)
https://www.amazon.com/SUNKEE-Dupont-Jumper-Female-Connector/dp/B00CGWVFWW (contacts)

I've been tempted to make these myself in the past, but I've found that unless you need some super custom length, it's easier to buy a pre-made ribbon cable and just peel off individual ones as needed. I'll admit to not really wanting to assemble fiddly little crimp connectors at home though, because that's kind of what I do for a living. :)

Good, because it's 30 quid over here but generic ones are 5.
The generic ones should be perfectly fine too. I've used Velleman and Aoyue replacement guts in mine and they've always worked just as well. Probably all from the same factory anyway.

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 19, 2017

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Acid Reflux posted:

I couldn't find the singles on Digikey, but what you're looking for is called a Dupont connector. I did find some generic stuff on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/SUNKEE-100pcs-Dupont-Connector-Housing/dp/B00CGXNFBK (housings)
https://www.amazon.com/SUNKEE-Dupont-Jumper-Female-Connector/dp/B00CGWVFWW (contacts)

I've been tempted to make these myself in the past, but I've found that unless you need some super custom length, it's easier to buy a pre-made ribbon cable and just peel off individual ones as needed. I'll admit to not really wanting to assemble fiddly little crimp connectors at home though, because that's kind of what I do for a living. :)

The generic ones should be perfectly fine too. I've used Velleman and Aoyue replacement guts in mine and they've always worked just as well. Probably all from the same factory anyway.

Perfect thanks! I also hate crimping little fiddly connectors, but I'm doing it for work so I can't complain too much. There is no way in hell these can be worse than the tiny two part Amp coax pins I occasionally have to crimp at work. Those are the worst.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

You're very welcome, hope they're not complete garbage. :)

The worst thing I've had to deal with in recent months was Quadrax connectors, as part of an in-flight WiFi system installation. Thankfully one of the newer and slightly less jaded guys volunteered to do most of them. I don't know who designed them, but I'd like to kick him in the groin repeatedly until he apologizes. And then maybe some more after that.

They were the size 19 style ones in this data sheet. Absolute chaos in a tidy little package.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

coyo7e posted:

find someone who can create housings and stuff for you, etc.

Radio Shack still has enclosures in the US, if you care to pay for them.

You can find a ton of enclosures on AliExpress that you can drill out to fit whatever buttons you want. Often enough those sellers will also cut out what you want, if you're talking about putting a small LCD screen, or something in your project.

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

Here is my first big arduino project in progress that I've been working on as a side project at work. ,,, I had a few wires in the wrong place and thought I fried the arduino, so I spent a couple hours swapping that out (using jumper wires where I could - screw hardwiring everything). ...
For a while I was soldering female headers on all the little PCB-parts of stuff I was building, and then just sticking solid 22ga wires into them. It usually holds okay and its way more convenient than buying or making real male jumper wires.
(I like to color-code the wiring, which is difficult if you are buying the rainbow-flat-cable jumpers)
I thought it was a really great idea until after a couple of incidents where I accidentally pulled out wires I didn't mean to, and then I stopped using this method totally.

What I do now for the hobby stuff I build is I put .1" screw terminals on all the boards and then just use regular stranded or solid wire to join them.
If you tin the wire tips you can leave a little blob of solder on the end, which helps the screw terminal hold on even better.
They cost a bit (the .1" terminals cost more than the .2" ones) but the overall cost difference is still not huge, and the screw terminals work much better overall.

I buy most of my electronics parts on Aliexpress.
A lot of the sellers on Amazon are China-based now (so you get the same shipping times) and Amazon doesn't warn you about that.
And Aliexpress has lower seller fees and a better buyer's refund policy.

Also your multimeter is not a $500 Fluke. Now you must strip naked and go live in a cave for a year. :>|

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'm thinking about making an arduino-controlled glockenspiel, but I know next to nothing about midi.

And while I know what an optoisolator does and how it works, I'm not sure why they're needed instead of say, a diode, beyond isolating from ground hum (which won't matter because the output is a relay to hit notes, not a speaker?)

Basically I want:
SD card with.mid -> arduino -> relays and stepper motor (position) and solenoid (strike a note)

The ability to control a drum and cymbals or just generally other instruments would be great too, I assume there are standard channels for instrument assignment (even if they aren't 100% adhered to by midi makers)

Are there any good resources you can suggest for getting started with arduino processing midi in into controlled output?
There is of course a sea of information online but the fact that there's so much is why I'm asking if anyone's got any recommendations of where to start

I don't mind if this is a "solved problem" and the answer is "this library, this code" or equally if "yeah arduino does midi but nothing like this, try taking some of this and some of that and seeing if you can mash it together"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ok, well, in order:

- I don't know why optoisolators have come up immediately, but they're usually used when you need to transfer a signal and absolutely cannot have an electrical connection for some reason (generally safety, extremely incompatible electrical systems, or both -- for instance if you want to do solid-state control of wall power). It's a totally different functionality from a diode, which is usually used to prevent the flow of current in one direction or to "drop" a little bit of voltage for various reasons. I can't think of a really critical reason your project might need optoisolators -- I think they're part of the MIDI hardware spec, but you're not going to be messing with that unless you plan to connect a MIDI keyboard directly to the Arduino.

- the most difficult part of your project is (IMO) going to be building the MIDI parser, the bit of code that reads the file in order and sends the correct events at the correct times to the rest of your code. The bits that trigger the actuators are going to be relatively simple.

- playing different instruments is just a matter of choosing the right actuator and connecting it appropriately to the Arduino. Solenoids will give you a much more powerful impact and they can operate faster than servos, but servos are easier to wire up.

- I'd google "arduino MIDI library" and see what comes up, cause no, there's no native functionality for that but I'm sure someone has done a project exactly like yours before.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I started with optoisolators because every midi control circuit with arduino seems to have them, and as you say I can't think of a reason why they're on every design, even the ones that aren't getting the arduino to send midi rather than receive it. I was just saying, if it was to make sure signals only went one way, then surely a diode would suffice. It's the first question because that was originally going to be my only question, but figured what the hell and asked the rest.

The midi parser is definitely the bit I'll struggle with, and where I'm really looking for help. I can do elecronics but I had never coded really, which is why I bought the arduino

Playing different instruments as you say is a matter of geting the right actuator to hit the right thing, but that brings us back to parsing midi. I don't know how midi sends multiple instruments along the same cable (I'm guessing 8-bit headers or whatever they're called since midi has I think 127 channels that are used for different instruments)

It's probably worth saying too that I am not concerned with volume other musical dynamics, beyond >play note and >stop playing note. Even the latter isn't important for percussion, which is why that's what I'm starting with.

There are midi libraries, or at least one, that I'm going to look into, but at first glance it seems to be for turning button presses into midi input through the serial connection to a PC, when I want the other way round. (Sidenote: from searching it seems the vast majority of midi arduino stuff seems to be geared towards getting midi into your PC)

It's the turning midi input into output signals that I don't know how to do. And yeah, I am googling about it too, not just expecting the thread to figure out my project for me, just if anyone knew off the top of their head and could steer me clear of dead-ends.

Edits for typos, phoneposting on public transport is always fun

Edit 2: I'm not very far into it, but the youtube channel Notes and Volts has a playlist called Midi for the Arduino that seems to be exactly what I was looking for, if anyone else is interested in this type of thing

simplefish fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 24, 2017

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

The optoisolator electrically separates the transmitter and receiver, and is part of the MIDI spec as a measure to prevent ground loops (audible noise) in the circuit. It may be less critical in these Moderne Tymes where things are generally more digital than analog, but I couldn't say for sure. I know I've seen Arduino circuits that use a transistor instead.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It can't hurt to have a few kV isolation when hotplugging things into your midi controller. The 'modern tymes' equivalent is a digital isolator. Instead of an LED and photo-transistor, it modulates a signal passed between the coils of a transformer. http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/technical-articles/MS-2234.pdf

taqueso fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 24, 2017

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm seeing these USB-C noise cancelling headphones and the electronics look itty bitty, their solution probably has some fancy custom DSP, but it can't be that hard to read a waveform, then inject the inverse waveform into the audio stream? I don't get how these guys are getting $200 for what should be pretty simple technology.

The Arduino is probably woefully underpowered for this task, but Ti probably has some off the shelf DSP that's up to the task that you can program via i2c?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Hadlock posted:

I'm seeing these USB-C noise cancelling headphones and the electronics look itty bitty, their solution probably has some fancy custom DSP, but it can't be that hard to read a waveform, then inject the inverse waveform into the audio stream? I don't get how these guys are getting $200 for what should be pretty simple technology.

The Arduino is probably woefully underpowered for this task, but Ti probably has some off the shelf DSP that's up to the task that you can program via i2c?

If you find something please report back. There is a lot of bullshit pricing in audio tech, so you might be on to something.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Is the Humble Book Bundle wrt Arduino any good? Worth getting?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Splode posted:

If you find something please report back. There is a lot of bullshit pricing in audio tech, so you might be on to something.

AMS have a range of active noise cancellation chips in the couple of dollar per unit range, but I can't speak to their effectiveness.

When a friend of mine received an evaluation board for a casual prototype, the board was missing some components and AMS did not respond to queries about what was missing. Didn't leave the best impression.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
I'm very, very new to this and would like some more info on how best to learn coding for arduino. Should I learn c++ or something first?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Buy an Arduino starter kit and follow the free tutorials.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Buy an Arduino starter kit and follow the free tutorials.

I have, but it doesn't seem like I can learn to write from scratch from this

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

a7m2 posted:

Is the Humble Book Bundle wrt Arduino any good? Worth getting?
I never heard of this bundle, don't know how to get included in chances for upcoming bundles, and everyone is excepted to just know that poo poo off the top of their fedora

I mean if you can't be asked to even link to the bundle then

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Steal code from tutorials and slowly try and work out what each line does and why. Learning C may be more helpful than C++ depending on your educational background and how your brain works.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

What do you want to achieve? How have you historically learnt a new skill best? Personally I learn best practically so a starter kit and tutorials works best for me. I setup the board and compile the tutorial code, reading through and trying to understand what it's trying to achieve. I then edit the code to make it do something slightly different, sometimes it works, sometimes not, but every time I fix it I learn something. As I progress I can make bigger changes and eventually I want to make a set of simple robot controllers for my kids lego, a word clock etc and I'm relearning all the electronics I sort of learnt 15 years ago then never used.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

coyo7e posted:

I never heard of this bundle, don't know how to get included in chances for upcoming bundles, and everyone is excepted to just know that poo poo off the top of their fedora

I mean if you can't be asked to even link to the bundle then

Sorry I don't really understand what you're saying. Are you asking me to link the bundle? https://www.humblebundle.com/books/make-arduino-and-raspberry-pi

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ITT: people using a browser without highlight→context menu→Google function

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Which starter kit did you buy? I teach Arduino stuff to artists and designers (i.e. not computer science people or math people) and I find that nearly anyone can pick up the basics of blinking LEDs and making squealy noises with a light sensor within a couple of classes. If you have a good starter book, like the one that comes with the official kit or the Sparkfun kit, following those exercises should get you going.

Also, get the Humble Bundle linked above

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/make-arduino-and-raspberry-pi

As noted I'm a pro at this and I still bought all 21 of those books because they look great and I'm sure there's something to learn in all of them.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks Sagebrush, you've convinced me to get all of them too.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Find a canned project that you're interested in, and follow the code.

Stepping a motor is logically equivalent to blinking an LED fast, usually.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
What are some examples of arduino projects that have well structured, well written code, ideally making use of different libraries and interfacing with different hardware components (i.e. sensors, 7 segment displays, relays)?

I'm embarking on project and would like some good examples to emulate/reference. Articles/books on the best practices for this sort of thing would be appreciated, too.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

rawrr posted:

What are some examples of arduino projects that have well structured, well written code, ideally making use of different libraries and interfacing with different hardware components (i.e. sensors, 7 segment displays, relays)?

I'm embarking on project and would like some good examples to emulate/reference. Articles/books on the best practices for this sort of thing would be appreciated, too.

Depending on how much code you want to go through, the Marlin firmware for the RepRap is a pretty good example of using sensors, moving motors, and printing stuff to LCD screens.

If that's not something you want to read, Adafruit has a ton of projects in their learn system that are structured well, commented well, and are useful examples of how libraries work.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'd start with the Adafruit stuff 100%.

Marlin is full of hacks and macros and non-Arduino C code and overall it's tens of thousands of lines of spaghetti logic wrapped up in a gigantic switch/case statement. I wouldn't wish that on any beginner.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Sagebrush posted:

spaghetti logic wrapped up in a gigantic switch/case statement.

This is the best summary of that code I have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I'd start with the Adafruit stuff 100%.

Marlin is full of hacks and macros and non-Arduino C code and overall it's tens of thousands of lines of spaghetti logic wrapped up in a gigantic switch/case statement. I wouldn't wish that on any beginner.
100% agreed.