Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
There's an old plantation I went to here in VA that had an outdoor grape trellis "room"- just a square frame with grapes growing on all sides + top and a doorway in one side. Just being in the shade and the respiration from the grapes took the temps inside there down to about 75° F from close to 90° F. It was the best thing and I plan on doing it myself once I find the space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

cakesmith handyman posted:

I call bullshit, I've never seen a grape more than an inch an a half long :colbert:

That description makes me want to build a geodesic dome frame and grow grapes up it. Outdoor seating area underneath in the shade sounds good.
When they are good, they are very, very good

But when they are bad they're terrible!

There was a little boheme restaurant in the town I grew up in with a grape covered outdoor seating area (probably 400-500 sqft, ten feet high) - they spliced in some misters and you've got like, paradise on earth. Even the air tastes cleaner when you're surrounded by that much greenery. :)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 18, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Suspect Bucket posted:

I've seen a fair few people in muscadine country with chicken runs (a chicken-wire dealie off the coop that the chickens scratch and eat in) that plant a vine or two next to the run and let them climb. Then there's shade and treats in the summer, and in the winter it dies back and lets the warm sun in. Clever.
This is loving brilliant because the chickens will clean up the falling berries which would otherwise attract yellowjackets etc, and their nitrogen-rich turds are like whoa.. Also once the grapes are established - gently caress hawks because there's no way to dive-bomb a chicken run covered in grape vines

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
Seems like some people itt have fruit trees. Deer stripped one of my young apple trees early last year and the leader didn't try to grow again. It's not showing any signs that it will this year. Is there a way to get it to bud from the leader? I thought I read somewhere that if you make a cut in the bark it will try to grow from the cut.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

coyo7e posted:

This is loving brilliant because the chickens will clean up the falling berries which would otherwise attract yellowjackets etc, and their nitrogen-rich turds are like whoa.. Also once the grapes are established - gently caress hawks because there's no way to dive-bomb a chicken run covered in grape vines

Well, the tops are wired over too, but yeah, added predator-screening benefit. I've honestly never encountered a problem with hawks at the farm I work at with regards to our free-rangers. We have a few red shoulder hawks in the area, as well as big owl and stuff, but we also have the two best roosters in the world that love and protect their girls, don't fight each other, and also like and don't mess with humans. One's a gorgeous easter egger mix named Phoenix Jr (RIP Phoenix Sr, original Best Rooster), and a big poofy bright orange boy we havn't really decided on a name for yet. We like the hawks because they take care of other less desirable critters like rats and mice.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FingersMaloy posted:

Seems like some people itt have fruit trees. Deer stripped one of my young apple trees early last year and the leader didn't try to grow again. It's not showing any signs that it will this year. Is there a way to get it to bud from the leader? I thought I read somewhere that if you make a cut in the bark it will try to grow from the cut.
I've never heard about trying to scar the bark of trees, but you could try grafting.

You also *need* to install a few iron t-posts and then make a like, 8-10 foot diameter enclosure around your trees because this will happen again and again and again.. Deer are real fuckers and between rubbing the velvet off their antlers and being hungry, your trees are a goldmine

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
Ok. Yeah they're staked and caged now. I planted these trees mid March last year, this one was the first to bud and deer stripped it days later. It went from being the strongest whip to being the runt :(

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

FingersMaloy posted:

Dunno about your specific trees, but I constantly have buds appear randomly from my trunks as well as ground level.

I have an asian pear I dug out last fall that a deer destroyed half of the trunk a while back. It always grew anemic mini pears and the upper bark got black over time. I kept it over winter above ground with a bunch of leftover dirt from pots surrounding the root ball. If it buds in the spring I am going to see about cutting as much black bark branches off and see if I can nurse it to some semblance of health by where I will have a beehive.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

FingersMaloy posted:

Are you sure it's still alive? If it's very young and it went through an entire growing season without getting any energy it might have died.

Based entirely on anecdotal experience and some quick googling for confirmation, most deciduous trees form their buds for the following spring in summer or early fall. The buds then lie dormant over the winter and open in the spring. If your apple tree has no buds again this year, it may be dead.

Then again if it does have buds but it just doesn't have a leader, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It might take it more than a couple of seasons to recover. I know that on several other types of fruit trees cutting the leader is a common tactic used to encourage lateral growth over vertical growth. Eventually the tree will send out another leader, but the time it takes to do so depends on the species and amount of energy and nutrients the tree receives in the interim.

kedo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 20, 2017

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
Yeah it got a second round of buds and did fine last season, and it's budding this year already. I just want to nice tall leader, but I know some pruning styles deviate from that too so it's OK I guess.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hello! I've looked a bit about the thread and I wasn't able to find much info on balcony gardening.

We're on the sixth floor with a small but very sunny (south-facing) balcony that gets a fair amount of wind in Paris, France. Winters are balmy but very rarely freezing (and there's a lot of pollution). Spring starts up quickly in March and the summers can be fairly warm, never really going about 95 F, nor below 80 f. I've grown herbs (rosemary, thyme, cilantro, mint) with success on it before, alongside a small cherry tomato plant and some jasmine, that eventually died due to the wind and winter. On our north facing balcony, which gets very limited sunlight in the summer mornings and evenings we've grown a successful verbena plant, which the winter has now killed. My rosemary has been trucking along for a few years now, and the thyme seems to do fine. Cilantro sprouts fast and lives happily but also dies incredibly quickly even when I remove the flowers prior to bolting.

Anyway, I want to try something grander this year. My partner brought me back some jalapeņo (traveler strain) and habanera seeds. I've picked up a large wicker basket that's 2 ft squared. The thing is the pepper seeds seem to need a lot of space and/or soil, which are both really limited. The packets suggest that I plant the seeds 2 feet apart, which is just not possible. Should I just try to plant as many as I can in the basket and see what takes, while potting individual seeds in as many smaller pots as I can muster?

Also, on more basic level when seeding something that has SO many seeds, what's the general way of going about it? Just one seed more area or are you supposed to cluster them? I've never actually tried to grow anything from a seed (besides that tomato plant which came pretty much prepared), so I'm a bit at a loss. The weather's getting warmer so it seems like it's now or never.

Thanks

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I moved an didn't have a garden last year. This year I asked my landlord if I could install some raised beds. He was all for it so I framed them and the dirt came this morning.

Well. That's a lot.

my neighbors are taking some too

I started working early today so that I would have time to move some in case it blocked my wife's parking spot. I'm glad I did.

The back bed is intentionally shaded for half the day because once summer hits here everything gets burnt up.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hello! I've looked a bit about the thread and I wasn't able to find much info on balcony gardening.

We're on the sixth floor with a small but very sunny (south-facing) balcony that gets a fair amount of wind in Paris, France. Winters are balmy but very rarely freezing (and there's a lot of pollution). Spring starts up quickly in March and the summers can be fairly warm, never really going about 95 F, nor below 80 f. I've grown herbs (rosemary, thyme, cilantro, mint) with success on it before, alongside a small cherry tomato plant and some jasmine, that eventually died due to the wind and winter. On our north facing balcony, which gets very limited sunlight in the summer mornings and evenings we've grown a successful verbena plant, which the winter has now killed. My rosemary has been trucking along for a few years now, and the thyme seems to do fine. Cilantro sprouts fast and lives happily but also dies incredibly quickly even when I remove the flowers prior to bolting.

Anyway, I want to try something grander this year. My partner brought me back some jalapeño (traveler strain) and habanera seeds. I've picked up a large wicker basket that's 2 ft squared. The thing is the pepper seeds seem to need a lot of space and/or soil, which are both really limited. The packets suggest that I plant the seeds 2 feet apart, which is just not possible. Should I just try to plant as many as I can in the basket and see what takes, while potting individual seeds in as many smaller pots as I can muster?

Also, on more basic level when seeding something that has SO many seeds, what's the general way of going about it? Just one seed more area or are you supposed to cluster them? I've never actually tried to grow anything from a seed (besides that tomato plant which came pretty much prepared), so I'm a bit at a loss. The weather's getting warmer so it seems like it's now or never.

Thanks

I grow peppers in pretty cramped spaces on my balcony. They're probably not as productive as they could be but they still produce a good number of pretty hot peppers.

They're probably spaced about a foot apart in a windowsill style planter. To start them I plant a seed or two in a few plastic cups and start them indoors. Then I transplant the best couple of them outside when it warms up a bit.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Anyway, I want to try something grander this year. My partner brought me back some jalapeņo (traveler strain) and habanera seeds. I've picked up a large wicker basket that's 2 ft squared. The thing is the pepper seeds seem to need a lot of space and/or soil, which are both really limited. The packets suggest that I plant the seeds 2 feet apart, which is just not possible. Should I just try to plant as many as I can in the basket and see what takes, while potting individual seeds in as many smaller pots as I can muster?

Thanks

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, but pepper plants do get pretty big (1.5' - 3'+, depending on the variety), and need a good amount of dirt/space. I wouldn't plant one in less than, say, a 2 or 3 gallon pot. You should not try to grow multiple pepper plants in a single pot or a smallish window planter. You can start them in small pots, then transplant the ones that live into larger ones, but there's little point in crowding them. If you anticipate having the weather warm up next month, you should probably start your pepper seeds indoors now. There are tons of instructions for how to do that all over the internet (including in this very thread several years ago, at about this time of year). Note that peppers can take a pretty long time to reach maturity. You should probably plan on 6 - 8 weeks from seeding to being ready to transplant, and then the number of days to harvest listed on the seed packet is counted from that point. If Paris has an early fall/winter, you might not get a great harvest before the plants die off. They can overwinter if you bring them in before the weather cools too much, but look for instructions on how to do that. I've only done it once, and I didn't do it very well. You'll also need to make sure to check the moisture pretty frequently. And note that an ugly plastic pot will lose moisture less quickly than a nice clay pot.

Edit: I defer to the person who posted before me, since they seem to have more experience with this.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

I grow peppers in pretty cramped spaces on my balcony. They're probably not as productive as they could be but they still produce a good number of pretty hot peppers.

They're probably spaced about a foot apart in a windowsill style planter. To start them I plant a seed or two in a few plastic cups and start them indoors. Then I transplant the best couple of them outside when it warms up a bit.

Great advice from the two of you thank you. Looks like my weekends planned out.

Just how warm are we talking? It's been about 41-48 degrees here, maybe even 50 on warm days. It'll only get warmer. The cold weather really hits in November. We still get days in the 60 to mid 70's come October.

Peristalsis posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, but pepper plants do get pretty big (1.5' - 3'+, depending on the variety), and need a good amount of dirt/space. I wouldn't plant one in less than, say, a 2 or 3 gallon pot.

Edit: I defer to the person who posted before me, since they seem to have more experience with this.

Yeah space is really at a premium and I suppose I'm a bit annoyed that those seed packets easily have several dozen seeds in them and there's no way I'll get all of them to take! (Even if I did I have nowhere near the space to grow all that on my little balcony). Still I'll get started with the plastic cups and see what happens. Hopefully the cat is smart enough (she's not) to not eat and or ruin the set-up. I'll try to remember to photograph this little odyssey.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 21, 2017

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah space is really at a premium and I suppose I'm a bit annoyed that those seed packets easily have several dozen seeds in them and there's no way I'll get all of them to take!

Just means you don't have to buy more seeds next year!

I'm starting year old pepper and tomato seeds and i swear they came up faster this year

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

Just means you don't have to buy more seeds next year!

I'm starting year old pepper and tomato seeds and i swear they came up faster this year

! Wait seriously? They don't expire or something? Oh wow ok, that seriously relieves the hell out of me. She had to get those things from LA, since peppers like that are not found around here at all. Is there a good/best way to go about storing seeds or do they pretty much do their own thing?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The germination rate can go down with time. Some seeds keep better than others. Keeping them refrigerated helps to keep them fresh, but you need to be careful of mold. Pepper seeds aren't hard to come by, so you might just want to put them in an envelope somewhere dark and dry.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm gonna repost this picture:

All bell peppers. Pot on the right is a bit shy of 1 gallon. With proper fertilization, that one will still have a lower yield in general (4-6 peppers per season), but will otherwise grow fully and function properly. Go below that and the plant doesn't grow to full size and fruits will malform slightly.

This is three years ago. I've grown thai chilies in the pot on the right since, two plants per pot, and they thrive like mad, giving me several harvests of 30-50 pieces in one season. It helps that these specific plants are fully grown at 1'.

Don't get me wrong, giving them more space is better. But the recommendations on the packet are conservative.

If you're in Paris, I would start trying to get them to germinate right now. Constant temperature over 25°C influences this process positively a lot. I put the seeds well spaced between two wet sheets of kitchen paper in an airtight transparent tupperware box and put them somewhere warm. Once the seeds pop open, I (delicately) put them in small pots, only to transplant them outside when they've outgrown that.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Just how warm are we talking? It's been about 41-48 degrees here, maybe even 50 on warm days. It'll only get warmer. The cold weather really hits in November. We still get days in the 60 to mid 70's come October.

Yeah space is really at a premium and I suppose I'm a bit annoyed that those seed packets easily have several dozen seeds in them and there's no way I'll get all of them to take! (Even if I did I have nowhere near the space to grow all that on my little balcony). Still I'll get started with the plastic cups and see what happens. Hopefully the cat is smart enough (she's not) to not eat and or ruin the set-up. I'll try to remember to photograph this little odyssey.

That's almost warm enough, it's still been dipping into the high 30's on occasion at night here so I haven't put anything outside but last year I had stuff outside on valentine's day. I'm waiting for the lows to be about in the mid 40's with highs in the 60's before I move em out. Now is a good time to start your seedlings if you haven't already though.

I have one of those wire trash baskets turned upside down over my plants so my cat doesn't eat em.

A suggestion for your more shandy balcony is to grow mushrooms. I leave bags full of substrate just sitting outside on my balcony and occasionally mushrooms pop put if i remember to dump water on it every now and then. Not quite veggies and herbs, but it's not that hard and they grow faster than lots of plants.

http://www.namyco.org/docs/grow_oyster_mushrooms_on_kitty_litter_illustrated.pdf

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm gonna repost this picture:

All bell peppers. Pot on the right is a bit shy of 1 gallon. With proper fertilization, that one will still have a lower yield in general (4-6 peppers per season), but will otherwise grow fully and function properly. Go below that and the plant doesn't grow to full size and fruits will malform slightly.

This is three years ago. I've grown thai chilies in the pot on the right since, two plants per pot, and they thrive like mad, giving me several harvests of 30-50 pieces in one season. It helps that these specific plants are fully grown at 1'.

Don't get me wrong, giving them more space is better. But the recommendations on the packet are conservative.

If you're in Paris, I would start trying to get them to germinate right now. Constant temperature over 25°C influences this process positively a lot. I put the seeds well spaced between two wet sheets of kitchen paper in an airtight transparent tupperware box and put them somewhere warm. Once the seeds pop open, I (delicately) put them in small pots, only to transplant them outside when they've outgrown that.

Yeah, the subdued production has been the only problem I've had growing them in about a gallon of soil each. Thai chilies are an excellent choice for limited space though as they produce very well in my experience but I haven't had any pepper just fail me.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Forgot to point out the obvious thing that all plants in the picture are of the same variety and age!

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I read somewhere several years ago that you shouldn't put peppers outside in the ground until you're confident the air temperature won't drop below 50F. And warmer is better for peppers and tomatoes, at least to a point.

Now, for germinating the seeds, you'll want something much warmer than that - I think the place I just bought some superhot seeds from claims they need 80F - 90F to germinate. Other varieties probably aren't so fussy, but you definitely want to keep them warm. Some people put them on top of a warm fridge, or in a sunny window, I guess. If you want to spend a little money, you can get a heating mat for ~$20 here, but I have no idea what that would cost in France. Honestly, unless you have a cold, drafty apartment with no reasonable heat source for the seeds, I'd be more worried about light than heat. It's no good to germinate the seeds if the plants get tall and leggy before you can get them established.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I feel your pain. I finally counted up all my old seed packets, and I have ~150 of them, most with lots of seeds in them. I finally put them in a spreadsheet online and told some friends to put in orders from the spreadsheet, because there's no way I can plant most of them before they shrivel up and die. I'd much rather give them to people who might use them than hoard them and have them go to waste. I mean, I still use the ones I want and can fit in my garden, but there are plenty I'll probably never plant again. And even though I like basil, I don't need hundreds of seeds from 5 different varieties. Of course, I bought some new seeds this year, too. My goal is to start next season with less leftover seed packets than I have this year.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

! Wait seriously? They don't expire or something? Oh wow ok, that seriously relieves the hell out of me. She had to get those things from LA, since peppers like that are not found around here at all. Is there a good/best way to go about storing seeds or do they pretty much do their own thing?

Some species are known for not carrying over well from one year to the next - onions come to mind. That said, you need lots of direct sunlight for onions (i.e. probably not a great plant for a balcony) and I'd recommend just getting onion sets or starts instead anyway.

I think chives do well in containers, though....

Seriously, there are whole books of advice for container gardening - you can probably find some cheap at a used book store, or free at a library (or online). It actually seems like kind of a fun project to try to get the most out of a little space.

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 21, 2017

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Shifty Pony posted:

I moved an didn't have a garden last year. This year I asked my landlord if I could install some raised beds. He was all for it so I framed them and the dirt came this morning.

Well. That's a lot.

my neighbors are taking some too

I started working early today so that I would have time to move some in case it blocked my wife's parking spot. I'm glad I did.

The back bed is intentionally shaded for half the day because once summer hits here everything gets burnt up.

drat nice

I don't think I get a garden this year due to moving either. My containers were all the cheap lovely plastic ones at Home Depot and they have not held up the past 3 years really. I'll def hope the raspberry bush at least attempts to come back but I'm not going to replant because moving them while planted suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. We have the same issue where in the summer everything dies in direct sunlight. Maybe after we move if there's something late season (June-ish) I might put something down. Maybe pre-started herbs.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Flipperwaldt posted:

Somewhere warm... our apartment tends to stay cool, I especially never use the heaters (all electric blah) because I quite like the cold, but I mean it's probably 20 celsius in the flat, and our sunny room (in which the sun moves throughout the whole day... so I'll have to move the plants?) is probably the warmest for sure.

So what I gather the best idea is to moisten them up in paper towels before putting them in plastic dixie cups until it's consistently warm enough to drop them outside? I think I can pull off 6 plants for sure. Maybe 12 if I both buy more equipment and set it up right. Honestly, ignoring the cat, the real menace is going to be the wind. That balcony can get kinda windy, and the wind has been the death of the less hardy plants such as the jasmine.

That mushroom idea looks so gross and amazing at the same time. My partner said under no condition would she do it. I'll keep pushing it though, it seems like a cool idea and I know Champignons de Paris is a thing that is grown and eaten around here (in people's basements) so why not!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Somewhere warm... our apartment tends to stay cool, I especially never use the heaters (all electric blah) because I quite like the cold, but I mean it's probably 20 celsius in the flat, and our sunny room (in which the sun moves throughout the whole day... so I'll have to move the plants?) is probably the warmest for sure.

So what I gather the best idea is to moisten them up in paper towels before putting them in plastic dixie cups until it's consistently warm enough to drop them outside? I think I can pull off 6 plants for sure. Maybe 12 if I both buy more equipment and set it up right. Honestly, ignoring the cat, the real menace is going to be the wind. That balcony can get kinda windy, and the wind has been the death of the less hardy plants such as the jasmine.
You can buy electric germination mats that are like an electric blanket to put under your stuff. Your flat may be 20°C, but the temperature on the window sill might still vary wildly. Just for the start of germination, no light is needed, so putting them close to a radiator might help.

If you put wet paper towel in a dixie cup it will dry out in a matter of hours. When you add water to keep them wet, it'll probably be cold tap water, disturbing the temperature. A sealed tupperware box will not dry out and have its own mini-greenhouse effect when put in sunlight. It'll take a couple of weeks for the seeds to do anything at all in the best of conditions; you really don't want to be topping up the water that often during all that time.

I do it this way, instead of just putting seeds in some dirt in small pots, because, depending on seed quality and conditions maybe a third to 80% of seeds will not germinate at all or in time for a usable season. That's my experience anyway, but I've never bought seed. Rule of thumb this gets worse the spicier the peppers are. I'd hate to think all the space it'd waste to have all these seeds in individual pots before knowing anything is going to come from them.

You can throw a bunch of seeds in dirt in one bigger pot instead with the benefit of having a larger thermal mass, smoothing out temperature differences, but the downside is that you don't see anything happening before they stick out their heads, after which they have more squishy bits you can ruin during transplant. And you'd be watering, which you don't need to do with the tupperware box.

That's my two cents. I've not seen anyone else ever mention doing it this way, but it works for me. Quite a bit of it is focused on making the most of space and a similarly short season as you'll have.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

For peppers doing well in small containers, here's the Shishito I have at work. As long as nothing kills them (cold/lack of light/overwatering/underwatering), tomatoes and peppers seem to generally keep trucking along.

For wind, pepper stems are a bit thin and fragile, so it might be a good idea to keep it tied some support.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Lhet posted:

For peppers doing well in small containers, here's the Shishito I have at work. As long as nothing kills them (cold/lack of light/overwatering/underwatering), tomatoes and peppers seem to generally keep trucking along.

For wind, pepper stems are a bit thin and fragile, so it might be a good idea to keep it tied some support.

Your office-pepper reminds me of how I used to grow beans as a child. I'd take a dried pinto bean from the kitchen and plant it in a decent-sized pot on the windowsill above the sink. They would grow just fine, eventually taking over quite a bit of the windowsill, until I eventually neglected them or (in retrospect) they got too big for the pot. I'm pretty sure I grew at least half a dozen bean plants in succession when I was in 3rd grade or so. No real reason, just because I liked having my bean plant.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've not seen anyone else ever mention doing it this way, but it works for me.

A few years ago, I germinated my pepper and tomato seeds in moist paper towels in ziplock bags. I then stacked the bags on something warm. It worked, but I had 3 problems with it.
1) The seed roots tended to get entwined in the paper towels, and I had to carefully cut some bits of paper out to extract some of the seeds, if I didn't get them out as soon as they first germinated.
2) If I left the bags sealed, the paper towels got moldy.
3) If I left the bags not completely sealed, they dried out very quickly (needed to mist them at least daily, as I recall).

That said, I had a ton of seeds. If you only have 10 or 20, it might work well for you.

You can also get expanding peat pellets and either use a heat pad or just put it in a warm spot. Something like this. I've had pretty good luck with them before, and they certainly won't break the bank. Also, when people talk about heating mats, they mean this. You don't want to use a medical heating pad for your plants.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Peristalsis posted:

A few years ago, I germinated my pepper and tomato seeds in moist paper towels in ziplock bags. I then stacked the bags on something warm. It worked, but I had 3 problems with it.
1) The seed roots tended to get entwined in the paper towels, and I had to carefully cut some bits of paper out to extract some of the seeds, if I didn't get them out as soon as they first germinated.
2) If I left the bags sealed, the paper towels got moldy.
1) Space them out and intervene sooner. I pull them out when they look like this: 9
2) I absolutely saw mold growth when using ziplock bags, only some harmless algae in the tupperware container. I think this has to do with access to oxygen. Too much or not enough or something; I can't tell.

e: Not to mention that having paper towels in a ziplock bag makes it harder to extract individual seeds, because you have to attempt to pull out the whole sheet. It gets messy fast.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 21, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Finally doing 3 sisters planting in my little Hugel this year. I'm experimenting with hybridizing Trucker's Favorite Dent and Rainbow corn (hand-pollinating) for color and variety, Oregon sweet pod peas, and 4 yellow crookneck squash seeds. It's half a month early, but Florida's weather has been crazy warm this year, and I wanna experiment.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ordered some tobacco seeds on a whim. Any of you tried growing tobacco before? I'm probably going to try rolling it into cigars, and if that fails just chopping it up and sticking it in a pipe.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ordered some tobacco seeds on a whim. Any of you tried growing tobacco before? I'm probably going to try rolling it into cigars, and if that fails just chopping it up and sticking it in a pipe.

Well, I know it's a bit more complicated then that. This guy seems to have a good youtube playlist on it:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1727185A3720537B

Mind, at no point does he ever seem to smoke anything. Disappointing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well, I know it's a bit more complicated then that. This guy seems to have a good youtube playlist on it:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1727185A3720537B

Mind, at no point does he ever seem to smoke anything. Disappointing.

Those look quite thorough. I've got a shed in the back yard which is well-ventilated and should be perfect for air-curing the leaves when I harvest.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Make sure to fertilize well and watch out for contagion. Sanitize your gardening tools. Tobacco is prone to some bad diseases.

Man, it's been a real long time since I saw tobacco drying.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Flipperwaldt posted:

1) Space them out and intervene sooner. I pull them out when they look like this: 9
2) I absolutely saw mold growth when using ziplock bags, only some harmless algae in the tupperware container. I think this has to do with access to oxygen. Too much or not enough or something; I can't tell.

e: Not to mention that having paper towels in a ziplock bag makes it harder to extract individual seeds, because you have to attempt to pull out the whole sheet. It gets messy fast.

Yeah, I wasn't advocating my method over yours, just pointing out that I had done something similar. Using a tupperware actually sounds much tidier for reasonable use cases. In my case, I had hundreds of seeds from dozens of varieties and several species. If I had used a different tupperware container for each type of pepper or tomato, I'd have had them stacked to the ceiling, and opening and closing each one each day to check for germination would have been as onerous as using the bags was.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I haven't, but I've wanted to. I have a fantasy that I can sell the seedlings to hipsters who want to stick it to the man by growing and rolling their own, thus avoiding oppressive taxes that are infringing on their right to free expression, man. If they don't know how to grow or cure it once they get it home, that's on them. So anyway, if you do this, please report back! I'm especially interested in knowing where to get tobacco seeds - preferably not from some 90's era web site with a sketchy storefront.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Peristalsis posted:

I haven't, but I've wanted to. I have a fantasy that I can sell the seedlings to hipsters who want to stick it to the man by growing and rolling their own, thus avoiding oppressive taxes that are infringing on their right to free expression, man. If they don't know how to grow or cure it once they get it home, that's on them. So anyway, if you do this, please report back! I'm especially interested in knowing where to get tobacco seeds - preferably not from some 90's era web site with a sketchy storefront.

I ordered from Sustainable Seed. Who cares how sketchy the storefront appears, just use Paypal to divorce the site from your payment info.

More general question, can anyone recommend a drip watering system? Should I get this: https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Bird-GRDNERKIT-Irrigation-Gardeners/dp/B000LO4FFG

or https://www.amazon.com/Koram-IR-D-Distribution-Watering-4-Inches/dp/B013JPIJG4/

or something else? I'm looking for something for my vegetable garden, which I'd say at a guess is around 100 sq ft plus raised beds along two sides.

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.

Peristalsis posted:

I haven't, but I've wanted to. I have a fantasy that I can sell the seedlings to hipsters who want to stick it to the man by growing and rolling their own, thus avoiding oppressive taxes that are infringing on their right to free expression, man.

I think you want to post this in TCC :catdrugs:

Real talk: I remember people in the Cigar Thread posting about growing their own. It's been years since I've looked at that thread but might be worth posting there if you haven't already.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So let's see what will come of this!

This is what I have. The two chili varieties plus some cups and a tuperware. I have enough seeds to try both methods so I'm going to do that.

and so this is what it looks like in the end. That wicker basket will eventually be flipped to house the plants themselves. Hoping that'll work anyway.

I've got some habanero seeds left over for next year so here's hoping.

Someone mentioned that the seed were easy to acquire. Perhaps, but there doesn't seem to be much of a market for it in France. They do not eat spicy here, and if they were to grow chile's they'd be of a north African or south-east Asian variety rather than from the Americas, so I'm hoping these prove fruitful.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Anybody grow herbs or other non fruiting edible plants in their basement? I just got two 6 bulb T8 fluorescent light fixtures for free from my work and I'd like to keep a small rosemary, basil, mint and/or some chives in my basement year round. I was brainstorming how to build an enclosure, but it seems like buying a :420: grow tent is cheaper and easier than all other options. Anybody have experience with this?

Mainly, it seems grow tents are at least 5' tall and for herbs, I would probably just need a 2' distance between my soil and lights. Not sure I need all that space.

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Okay, so I'm somewhat of a moron that is working on laying out/setting up two of these.

Not pictured, the 2nd greenhouse just out of frame to the right of the one shown here.

The 2nd greenhouse will have troughs and a-frames with fence grids to support tomato plants and all of the other plants that do so well with vertical gardening.

Basically, the shelves shown above will each be used to hold some sort of shelf with plants as shown here with the Square Foot Gardening method of doing thing (basically raised beds, but in a greenhouse full time to protect as much as possible from weeds/etc.).

I should note that shelving units in the greenhouses would accommodate one of each of the rectangles in a home made box frame lined with hardware cloth that is then installed on each shelf before layering a thin layer of gravel and the soil/etc. that the first crop will need.

I figure each season I'll have to check each box for PH/etc. and then add whatever is needed to bring things back to good status for the next crop (and rotate plants between different shelves each season, etc. after harvests are done).

Currently have the "auto" vent hinge to mount on the roof window on order (the one that will begin opening the roof window if the interior temperature gets hot enough to cause the piston to extend).

What else should I be looking at getting?