Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
im reading invisible cities now and it's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I read Dune a couple of years ago and it was fine. Better than most sci fi but nothing amazing

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Shibawanko posted:

Read Stanislaw Lem if you must read science fiction.

Pynchon

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If you must talk about genre fiction please use the every other thread in this forum.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/834266916466237440

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I should actually read a Rushdie book.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Comforted that now I, the incel Mario-playing shut-in, can be an internationally renowned author too

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The sagas are the most sophisticated works of pre-modern literature:

Grettir's Saga posted:

As they were speaking Thorbjorn struck a violent blow on the door. Atli said:

"He wants to see me; perhaps he has some business with me, for he seems very pressing." It was raining hard, so he did not go outside, but stood holding both the door-posts with his hands and peering round. At that moment Thorbjorn sidled round to the front of the door and thrust his spear with both hands into Atli's middle, so that it pierced him through. Atli said when he received the thrust: "They use broad spear-blades nowadays."

Then he fell forward on the threshold. The women who were inside came out and saw that he was dead.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 22, 2017

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i posted this before but just remembered it again but i once met toa lin at a party and he hit on all of the underage girls and asked me several times if i had xanax

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
he is probably the most famous person i have met lmao

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Leave me alone, mom!

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

fantasy zone posted:

i posted this before but just remembered it again but i once met toa lin at a party and he hit on all of the underage girls and asked me several times if i had xanax

This and the fact he posted on this forum pretending not to be himself talking about how good Tao Lin is are the only things I know about Tao Lin and I'm incredibly happy to keep it thay way

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Everybody writes their own amazon reviews but only true self-publicists make their own TBB posts.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

text posted:

you're dumb

The Great Gatsby is an incredibly obvious book. However, it is bad and boring so at least you got that right.

Rude.

Burning Rain posted:

try Steinbeck - he's straightforward, but good and not boring. also, there's some simple symbolism if you want to go looking for something to cut your teeth on, but it's not really necessary to enjoy the books.

I read Steinbeck in high school and liked him, but I think he's too moralistic and didactic for my taste at this point.

Cloks posted:

Please source your quotes.

That was all me.

Heath posted:

This is like that pony-in-the-holocaust picture, but for books

Rude.

VileLL posted:

i'd recommend not reading ever again, op

Rude.

Good Dumplings posted:

That book's super boring, read Dune. Dune's good.

e: Just the first one, anything called "[whatever] of Dune" will be okay at best and garbage at worst. Don't say I didn't warn you!

I'm not big into science fiction, although I did like the Culture series.

Shibawanko posted:

Solaris is baller.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

who is tao lin. I cba to google

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

apparently all you need to know has already been posted in this thread

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Read this.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The url is HOW READ BOOK which would be a much more hilarious title

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Welcome back, we thought you were dead.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Is Nell Zink any good y/n

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Welcome back, we thought you were dead.

I was dead to the world of literature, been reading nonfiction and political stuff while being much more busy irl.

now I'm back on the Knausgaard train, book 3.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
So is Lincoln in the Bardo truly the book that will save us all from annihilation? Cuz I really didn't like Tenth of December.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Speaking of Lincoln in the Bardo, it's not even a novel. I thought about buying it because Saunders is doing a signing at my bookstore, but I looked through it and there are pages and pages of dialogue written out in the style of a script. Tons and tons of white space. There is no way it is anything more than a novella if you're going by word count. $28 is too much for such a short work.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

blue squares posted:

Speaking of Lincoln in the Bardo, it's not even a novel. I thought about buying it because Saunders is doing a signing at my bookstore, but I looked through it and there are pages and pages of dialogue written out in the style of a script. Tons and tons of white space. There is no way it is anything more than a novella if you're going by word count. $28 is too much for such a short work.

This is why I only buy dictionaries with that really thin bible paper and tiny font.

E:, But also was not impressed by 10th of Dec but Lincoln sounds tempting, on paper.

Jerome Agricola fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 24, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

blue squares posted:

It sounds like you're just mad that he's pushing the boundaries of the novel

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

blue squares posted:

Look at Joyce padding out Ulysses with that Nighttown crap :argh:

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

WatermelonGun posted:

So is Lincoln in the Bardo truly the book that will save us all from annihilation? Cuz I really didn't like Tenth of December.

I'm about half-way through it, and I think it's easily his best since CivilWarLand. It's the combination of funny and sad and technical mumbo-jumbo that made Saunders great to begin with. My one complaint is that it's based (somewhat loosely) around Lincoln and the death of his son Willie, and I think that wringing pathos from Lincoln and also the death of a child is probably one of the more hackneyed tasks in literature. But if you take the leap past that, buckle up.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm reading The Mighty and their Fall Ivy Compton-Burnett. It's the kind of discovery you can only make while absent-mindedly browsing through a library shelf.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

J_RBG posted:

Is Nell Zink any good y/n

i think the wallcrawler is p much exactly what middlebrow people would consider intellectual literature

it's not bad

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

VileLL posted:

i think the wallcrawler is p much exactly what middlebrow people would consider intellectual literature

it's not bad

That is pretty much anything recommended by jonathan franzen though, but i did like the sound of private novelist, so i bought it impulsively. reading it after seamus heaney, who is Very Good

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I should actually read a Rushdie book.

Midnight's Children is very good

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Is this the thread where I can talk about my love for the Bronte sisters

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Only as part of some kind of twisted, erotic fan fiction.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Carlosologist posted:

Is this the thread where I can talk about my love for the Bronte sisters

I've never read any of the Bronte sisters, or any Jane Austen for that matter. I've read Silas Marner by George Eliot, wasn't a fan.

I plan to at least read Pride and Prejudice and Wuthering Heights in the near future.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I've only read Villette, but liked it even though I'm not a huge fan of Victorian stuff.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

We read "Wuthering Heights" as part of my GCE A Level course way back in 1996-1998 and I kinda liked it. Several years after leaving college I remembered liking it and picked up another copy of it and still liked it.

That is my story of quite liking "Wuthering Heights".

My story of reading "A Streetcar Named Desire" is even better - I was always picked to read Mitch.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I read pride and prejudice a few months back. It was okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
wait, I also remember really enjoying The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.

Ive got this cool copy of it with cloth boards: