Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's why you also show them BelleStarrmon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Gundramon is missing belt, tho.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

an important thing to note

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Anyone with the Daimon blood is a badass. The little girl who partners with the manliest pink bird is no exception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NCcDDFxhok

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Evolves her partner to Perfect without a digivice and then they fly off together to confront a Royal Knight

Chika will one day be more powerful than her brother

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My favorite Digimon design is Flamedramon, but I think the stuff he evolves into is very goofy horseshit. Magnemon was a good idea executed badly, and the rest aren't even worth talking about.

Angemon fans know how this feels.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
MagnaAngemon is Angemon but more and i'm fine with that

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

My favorite Digimon design is Flamedramon, but I think the stuff he evolves into is very goofy horseshit. Magnemon was a good idea executed badly, and the rest aren't even worth talking about.

Angemon fans know how this feels.

Fladramon doesn't evolve into anything.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

Fladramon doesn't evolve into anything.

I think he meant Veemon

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If there's one thing I've learned from the Digimon games, everything evolves into everything else, and not even Armor Digivolution is safe from that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh.

well I like all of V-mon's evolutions personally, even if his personality is just kind of there.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't care as much for Imperialdramon because he's a bit too Action Figure for my taste.

One fun thing of the early Digimon characters, due to entirely how they were designed, they weren't made with action figures in mind. They were just weird monsters. Some of them wouldn't be out of place fighting Ultraman or Gamera.

That's also a reason why I like War Greymon. I could reasonably see War Greymon pop up in some other anime and not stick out too much. Same with Angemon and his line.

They did MAKE toys of the designs of course, but they were clearly not very well suited for them. Dear God some of those figures.

Imperialdramon is this big dumb robot dragon transformer- though I fully and completely admit, most of my ire goes to his head design. His head design is the ugliest thing. I could get behind the body but man, no bueno on his face.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... if ya don't think the early digimon designs weren't designed with merchandise in mind you're kind off the mark. They were just designed when the market Bandai was trying to enter was just electronics, not anything else. The success of the first anime just meant they opened the door to it becoming a core part of their marketing strategy instead of just a secondary one.

That doesn't make them "pure" or "better", it means they had different goals at the time.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
A lot of the early ones felt like they were designed more for cards and artwork than outright figures. They'd sure as poo poo do it anyway, but do think a few are less toyetic than others. Except Lego Agumon, that motherfucker was a toy that became an anime and he's a hero for it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

... if ya don't think the early digimon designs weren't designed with merchandise in mind you're kind off the mark. They were just designed when the market Bandai was trying to enter was just electronics, not anything else. The success of the first anime just meant they opened the door to it becoming a core part of their marketing strategy instead of just a secondary one.

That doesn't make them "pure" or "better", it means they had different goals at the time.

Slow your roll there chum.

Point out anywhere I said that they were more pure or better.

Also point out at any point that I said they weren't designed with merchandise in mind.

What I said was that the early designs were not made with action figures in mind. As in, the designs did not need to conform to certain realities that an action figure would need. EX Veemon VS Greymon- Greymon has a more detailed design that is atypical for an action figure due to being a pot bellied T-rex. EX Veemon has a much more simple design that's also intentionally a lot cooler, with sharper edges and a more toy friendly build. The only time it bugs me slightly is when the toy aspect is VERY clearly part of the design, and that doesn't just apply to Digimon but to all genre shows. I really dislike the current trend Kamen Rider has been on since after Double, for instance.

And that's just personal preference.

Of course they were made with merch in mind, they were literally video game things. That's just silly. Like, nowadays we could get a really good Greymon figure pot belly and all, but that's because toy design has evolved way past where it used to be. Also it'd cost 50 bucks if you were lucky.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

Slow your roll there chum.

Point out anywhere I said that they were more pure or better.

Also point out at any point that I said they weren't designed with merchandise in mind.

What I said was that the early designs were not made with action figures in mind. As in, the designs did not need to conform to certain realities that an action figure would need. EX Veemon VS Greymon- Greymon has a more detailed design that is atypical for an action figure due to being a pot bellied T-rex. EX Veemon has a much more simple design that's also intentionally a lot cooler, with sharper edges and a more toy friendly build. The only time it bugs me slightly is when the toy aspect is VERY clearly part of the design, and that doesn't just apply to Digimon but to all genre shows. I really dislike the current trend Kamen Rider has been on since after Double, for instance.

And that's just personal preference.

Of course they were made with merch in mind, they were literally video game things. That's just silly. Like, nowadays we could get a really good Greymon figure pot belly and all, but that's because toy design has evolved way past where it used to be. Also it'd cost 50 bucks if you were lucky.

Okay then, I misunderstood you.

But like, what you said about XV-mon: this happened with the older designs too. Look at WarGreymon's anime design and compare him to his original bandai art. His design is a lot more svelt and less gangly and awkward-looking. Likewise, this happened for Agumon's entire evolution line, becoming slimmer and less muscley and sinewy. Their silhouettes became more distinct too.

I dunno, I'm not disagreeing with you here but it's something to keep in mind.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Blaze Dragon posted:

Gundramon is the most Digimon Digimon ever. If anyone asks me what Digimon is, I show them Gundramon.

It only lacks boobs to be the absolute personification of Digimon as a franchise.

I don't see a single stitch, belt, vein, or stange asymmetrical element on that pile of guns.

Also, I second the idea of making Cybet Slueth an anime. It lends itself to one so well that I don't see why they didn't try.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I've always heard the rumour that WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon are like that because they were designed specifically for the transforming toys. And owning those, yeah, I can see it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I've always heard the rumour that WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon are like that because they were designed specifically for the transforming toys. And owning those, yeah, I can see it.

That actually makes a ton of sense. WarGreymon has big disproportionate feet that look just like Agumon's, the brave shield pieces can easily be repurposed for the shell of Agumon's head, and MetalGarurumon otherwise inexplicably has Gabumon's stomach markings on his chest.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure that's just because they're meant to be the ultimate forms of Agumon and Gabumon. So they reflect their designs in them.

Those designs predate any of the action figures or statues after all.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just because they're meant to be the ultimate forms of Agumon and Gabumon. So they reflect their designs in them.

Those designs predate any of the action figures or statues after all.

The Pendulum WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon were a part of, Version 5.5 Metal Empire, was released in June of 2000, as the show was airing. It's very possible that they were designed for the anime. Whereas other Ultimates like Hououmon and HerakleKabuterimon predate even the introduction of the Ultimate level, first appearing as Perfects in Digimon World. Likewise, Holydramon predates the anime, first showing in Digital Monster ver. S on the Saturn. WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon meanwhile appear mainly in the time frame the focus was on Adventure.

Recall that the origjnal concept for Omegamon was a WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon combined centaur, which is a very merchandise focused idea and something that'd be very easy to realize as a combining toy. This was a priority for them well before 02.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

I think he meant Veemon

I just meant the version of him where he's a tall lizard man with a knife sticking out his helmet and Type-R fire paint.

I agree with you on the other forms though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TFRazorsaw posted:

Okay then, I misunderstood you.

But like, what you said about XV-mon: this happened with the older designs too. Look at WarGreymon's anime design and compare him to his original bandai art. His design is a lot more svelt and less gangly and awkward-looking. Likewise, this happened for Agumon's entire evolution line, becoming slimmer and less muscley and sinewy. Their silhouettes became more distinct too.

I dunno, I'm not disagreeing with you here but it's something to keep in mind.

I think that was more them streamlining designs for Animation rather than for merchandise

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, yeah, I know.

That's why I related to what he was saying about XV-mon.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I think Agumon will be added to Applimonsters?

And here's Zubamon Champion and Ultimate forms

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

For anyone wondering they're called Zubaigermon and Duramon (as in Durandal)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Agumon's just in the cardass game. He's not gonna be in the show or anything.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

New Tri. later today.

I'm hoping it's passable at least.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh, I thought it was coming out next month for some reason.

Neat.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I've been greatly enjoying Tri and I'm sure this will be great as well.

While we wait, the ending was already uploaded https://soundcloud.com/digimusik/keep-on-triversion

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/835144798122225664

I like this new WarGreymon design.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is Tri 4 hitting Crunchyroll immediately? Or on some manner of delay?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

jivjov posted:

Is Tri 4 hitting Crunchyroll immediately? Or on some manner of delay?

People is reporting is live now on their site.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just the first two episodes are up so far

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Seems is complete now

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/835167321471643648

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I watched it. It was hit or miss. Better than Part 3 at least.

The opening sequence with Daigo, Maki, and the other original 5 becoming the Holy Beasts was the best part.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

This didn't answer anything! I only have more questions!!!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well I mean, aside from the longest standing mystery in the history of any digimon anime.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Well that was a heap of crap. very unsatisfying Digimon.
Did we really need 3 1/2 episodes of Biyomon being a bitch to Sora? No. FFS this should have been fun, rediscovering the Digimon World, but it was bland, lifeless and boring.

Also, is Gatomon now the only one without a Mega?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Andrew_1985 posted:

Well that was a heap of crap. very unsatisfying Digimon.
Did we really need 3 1/2 episodes of Biyomon being a bitch to Sora? No. FFS this should have been fun, rediscovering the Digimon World, but it was bland, lifeless and boring.

Also, is Gatomon now the only one without a Mega?

Re: Gatomon; I mean, you could count the one from the movie.