Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok can a senior grappler explain for me the advantage of the S-grip in his two-arm finish? When I go palm to palm, I typically go, well... palm to palm, gable grip style - my non-choking arm opens up as if I'm holding a tray like a waiter, little finger to my opponent's back, and then the fingers of the choking arm's hand over the thumb.

Is there any reason that S-grip would be better?

Good video by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CommonShore posted:

False attack is mostly a non-committed attack executed to create a stop in action or a transition to ne waza - think a lazy sacrifice throw which had no chance of working. They'll also call false attack on someone who is doing nothing but feinting for a period of time without following those feints up.

This is why I never refed or participated in saber or foil fencing. Jesus Christ I feel for you if you ref this sport.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

As a foilist, you missed out. The power to tell someone "nope, you ain't getting a point for that" feels so good :unsmigghh:

Honestly, reffing BJJ with all the points for positions sounds a fair bit more daunting.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Siivola posted:

As a foilist, you missed out. The power to tell someone "nope, you ain't getting a point for that" feels so good :unsmigghh:

Honestly, reffing BJJ with all the points for positions sounds a fair bit more daunting.

nah... just chat with your buddies and glance over from time to time to see if anyone died.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

This is why I never refed or participated in saber or foil fencing. Jesus Christ I feel for you if you ref this sport.

False attack isn't too hard to call. It's basically the judo equivalent of shooting worthless doubles and rolling to your back and hoping that someone falls into your guard (or doesn't so you can catch your breath while you wait for the ref to stay stand). If you've done any moderate amount of judo it's easy to tell the difference between a failed real attack and a false one.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Ok can a senior grappler explain for me the advantage of the S-grip in his two-arm finish? When I go palm to palm, I typically go, well... palm to palm, gable grip style - my non-choking arm opens up as if I'm holding a tray like a waiter, little finger to my opponent's back, and then the fingers of the choking arm's hand over the thumb.

Is there any reason that S-grip would be better?

Good video by the way.

I'm confused by that grip too. Never seen it taught like that. Maybe it has something to do with his wrist flexibility?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Captain Log posted:

It's kind of similar to the 'slip throw' in wrestling, which results in the wrestlers immediately being stood up with no points awarded. The referee is supposed to be able to judge on the spot that someone is legitimately slipping off when attempting a throw with no meaningful defense from their opponent. As opposed to the defending wrestler countering a throw attempt or a legitimate takedown with the defending wrestler simulating a failed throw attempt while its happening.

Few parents understand this poo poo and go crazy about it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Pocket Billiards posted:

It's kind of similar to the 'slip throw' in wrestling, which results in the wrestlers immediately being stood up with no points awarded. The referee is supposed to be able to judge on the spot that someone is legitimately slipping off when attempting a throw with no meaningful defense from their opponent. As opposed to the defending wrestler countering a throw attempt or a legitimate takedown with the defending wrestler simulating a failed throw attempt while its happening.

Few parents understand this poo poo and go crazy about it.

Good God. I've never reffed anything with parents involved. That's another layer of hell.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I stood next to the epitome of a redneck family watching their son/brother at the last NAGA. The son eye poked his opponent and his mother yelled "There's no crying in the UFC" and then was berating the ref and the kid for crying. Her son then got DQed for dunking his opponent on his head and she lost her poo poo. I never want kids because if it was my son on the other end I'd be beating that entire family.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Is there a large parent presence at bigger events? I know it's a few pages old discussion, but that would make me less enthusiastic about competing.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Well yeah if there are kids competing there tends to be a lot of parents there.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Not understanding tournament format and thinking its some grand conspiracy against their kid is the another big source of grief.

The format changes depending on size of the division and is different to other sports.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

JaySB posted:

"There's no crying in the UFC"

rofl I really love this and am gonna start saying it every time anyone gets hurt or taps

hell even outside of the gym

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Or just if you see anyone crying.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
If seeing kids crying is your thing, grappling competitions are the place to be. Usually the parents and the kids clear up around noon as they are the divisions that bring the bucks in at the local level and the parents don't want to stick around all day if they don't do BJJ.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

JaySB posted:

Well yeah if there are kids competing there tends to be a lot of parents there.

I'm 29 and my parents still come to watch me compete :3:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

There's tons of crying in the UFC. Has that woman ever watched it?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

There's tons of crying in the UFC. Has that woman ever watched it?

The only UFC she'd seen is some "Ultimate Fried Chicken"

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Best UFC crying

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Wangsbig posted:

rofl I really love this and am gonna start saying it every time anyone gets hurt or taps

hell even outside of the gym

Yeah, my brain is infected with that now too.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Sneak preview of the World's Best T-Shirt design, which I'm about 90% finished. I'm too excited to not post it

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Sneak preview of the World's Best T-Shirt design, which I'm about 90% finished. I'm too excited to not post it

Looks great, is this going on a rash guard? Can I buy one :) ?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Holy poo poo, so down.

Off topic competition story ahead, skip it if you hate me.

-

This isn't a speedy thread so I'm going to tell a story about competition, but in fencing. Also, my name is Logan. This is important.

As a Logan in my age bracket, my name has always been really rare. Normally I see Logan's that are ten or younger because their Daddy got to pop out a kid and name them after loving Wolverine. Nobody from Logan's Run?! God drat. Anyways...

I was in a ranked tourney that was going to be followed by the Junior Olympic qualifiers the next day. If I wanted to do ANYTHING in fencing, I needed to do well in the second tourney and my coach told me to sit out the ranked event. Me, being my stupid self, said gently caress that noise and jumped at a chance to be in a tournament with all the local coaches and some ex-Russian olympians. But it was more about vanity than anything else.

I sailed through the pools and my first two matches. My coach, irked that I hadn't decided to sit out, decided to compete. This meant I wasn't going to have anyone in my "corner." He just told me, "Don't get in any wars, dumbass."

I reached my third match and it was against one of Baylor's team. We loving hated them. They were religious, weird, cheered aggressively, seemed to always have a team coaching them, and had red loving tie dyed socks. I was a senior in high school.

When I saw my opponent, I chuckled. He was a tiny guy who looked fourteen. Well, he was a defensive mind gently caress who was older than me. He was so small, I couldn't get on the right level to engage him. My plan to toast him in the first three minute period failed horrifically. (fencing matches are three minutes rounds with one minute breaks. Three total rounds. First to fifteen wins. Ties went to overtime with the winner needing a margin of two, so you could see a 16-18 final score) This guy absolutely frustrated everything I attempted and wore me out in a way I'd never been worn before. At the first break, I was sweating through the neck protector on my mask. At the second break, he was winning while I was dying.

The whole time, his entourage was chanting, "Go Logan! Go Logan!" and every time he scored they yelled, "Yay Logan! Good for you!" I thought, to my core, they found out my name and were cheering when I was losing. I kept looking at the ref, the crowd, and the end of my epee just thinking, "What the gently caress universe are the assholes from CHEERING WHEN I LOSE POINTS!"

Well, it turns out the tiny man was named Logan. I didn't figure this out until later. But this match was going BADLY and I needed to finish it. We were in the last three minute period with fifty seconds left before I could score the winning point, as we were 14-15 adv. Me. (The Real Logan.) The initiated my Beast Mode and I decided, "gently caress these red socked wearing motherfuckers. I'm about to die. This needs to end or I might collapse." So at the start of the point, I did a move called a Fleche. This is the only time in fencing your feet cross because you basically sprint across the strip to the opponent and hit them. It's a sort of kitchen sink thing if you aren't great. I'm not great.

But this wasn't my sneaky move - I literally yelled/screamed at the top of my lungs as I fleched. He completely froze and dropped his epee, letting me score the winning point. His crowd didn't cheer my name. I was pumped up enough to raise my fist a little and start coughing like I was going to puke.

I lost my next match 12-15 AND was so physically hosed from exertion I got eliminated from the Junior Qualifiers the next day by a lovely fencer from my own team, effectively ending my "career."

Moral of the Story - Listen to your coach, even if he is a weird autistic rear end in a top hat with a heart of very particularly organized gold.

I'd love to hear funny comp stories. The first time we told them in a group we found out about people getting slammed onto concrete and it was extremely informative.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'd love to hear funny comp stories. The first time we told them in a group we found out about people getting slammed onto concrete and it was extremely informative.

One time I went up against an amputee in a sambo tournament -- the guy was missing one of his hands at the wrist. He actually had a really cool game that revolved around pulling guard and working a jacket choke, and had won two matches to get to me. So I grabbed the empty end of his sleeve and did the biggest throws I could, winning by 12-0 technical victory. I was very proud of myself.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Mechafunkzilla posted:

One time I went up against an amputee in a sambo tournament -- the guy was missing one of his hands at the wrist. He actually had a really cool game that revolved around pulling guard and working a jacket choke, and had won two matches to get to me. So I grabbed the empty end of his sleeve and did the biggest throws I could, winning by 12-0 technical victory. I was very proud of myself.

Did you at least offer him a hand up?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Did you at least offer him a hand up?

I got loving murdered by a 17-year-old in the gold medal match of that tourney so karma did, in fact, catch up with me right quick.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I don't play De La Riva much but this sweep is pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3bw29I_9UU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/jiu-jitsu-cancelled-1.4002070

:canada:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

What the hell? What's the impetus here?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Don't gently caress with the IOC. They own Canada.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

What the hell? What's the impetus here?

It's really just aggressive letter of the law enforcement. From my POV it seems like there's something private happening that we'll never hear about publicly, like a personal grudge somewhere.

The comments are kinda worth reading if you're into IOSM.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

CommonShore posted:

It's really just aggressive letter of the law enforcement. From my POV it seems like there's something private happening that we'll never hear about publicly, like a personal grudge somewhere.

The comments are kinda worth reading if you're into IOSM.

II know a bit about what's going on.

fightsports in Québec must be federated. professional MMA and judo are federated but amateur MMA and bjj tournaments aren't under a regional federation and the IBJJF isn't a federation so events were illegal in the province. The police knew the events were taking place but wouldn't do anything as they understood a bunch of assholes want a piece of the pie and become ''THE'' federation so they would tolerate the events taking place and not shut anything down.

Two promoters that did amateur MMA events and subonly BJJ stuff would always call the cops on the other and the police got fed up with their poo poo and just flat out decided to enforce the law. So it's not the cops' fault, just a bunch of assholes that want their garbage tier league to get the star treatment.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I feel like you're not a very good sword fighter, even pretend, if yelling makes you drop the weapon.

Regardless of other skill.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 9, 2022

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
After two impetigo infections since December and a nasty black eye last week I have now majorly hosed up my left middle finger. Not quite an avulsion fracture but rather the tendon popping clean off the bone. Wasn't even in a gi, just a no gi judo round. No idea what did it in particular, I didn't notice til a few minutes later while my coach was explaining to me why my o soto sucks. Should be two months in a splint.

Grappling: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Odddzy posted:

II know a bit about what's going on.

fightsports in Québec must be federated. professional MMA and judo are federated but amateur MMA and bjj tournaments aren't under a regional federation and the IBJJF isn't a federation so events were illegal in the province. The police knew the events were taking place but wouldn't do anything as they understood a bunch of assholes want a piece of the pie and become ''THE'' federation so they would tolerate the events taking place and not shut anything down.

Two promoters that did amateur MMA events and subonly BJJ stuff would always call the cops on the other and the police got fed up with their poo poo and just flat out decided to enforce the law. So it's not the cops' fault, just a bunch of assholes that want their garbage tier league to get the star treatment.

That's exactly the kind of personal grudge I suspected. Thanks!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
If this were kickboxing someone would have been stabbed or defenstrated.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Nice!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

If this were kickboxing someone would have been stabbed or defenstrated.

Yet another reason why BJJ stinks compare to real, mobster-run sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 30, 2018