Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pham Nuwen posted:

I ordered from Sustainable Seed. Who cares how sketchy the storefront appears, just use Paypal to divorce the site from your payment info.

More general question, can anyone recommend a drip watering system? Should I get this: https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Bird-GRDNERKIT-Irrigation-Gardeners/dp/B000LO4FFG

or https://www.amazon.com/Koram-IR-D-Distribution-Watering-4-Inches/dp/B013JPIJG4/

or something else? I'm looking for something for my vegetable garden, which I'd say at a guess is around 100 sq ft plus raised beds along two sides.

I purchased the first one and have been happy with it. The tubing with integrated emitters spaced every 18" is decent for rows and some individual plants and there is a good chunk of 1/2" distribution hose included. The only annoying bit is that it only included 5 individual emitters, so I purchased some additional emitters and an additional hose to 1/2" connector. That let me that do multiple zones and more individual plants.

The second one is all 1/4" tubing which is really less than ideal. You want 1/2" (or more for higher length runs) distribution tubing to prevent pressure from dropping too much. The second kit also doesn't include a pressure regulator and that is a pretty serious omission because drip systems need pressures of about 25 psi to work correctly. Most houses will have something like 60psi which can cause the barbed couplings in a drip system to simply pop out spraying water everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

biracial bear for uncut posted:

What else should I be looking at getting?

Are your raspberries already established over there? And are they thornless? I'd just do them as a hedge myself, those bastards can really take over.

Oh god, I just thought about squash taking over a thorny raspberry hedge and shivered. No one gets out alive!

I also have dreams of planting my own 6 foot high thorned raspberry and blackberry hedge and a ditch of nettles one day along a property perimeter to attract birds, and keep out nosy humans and possibly rouge lions.

Are you going to shade your salad bed at all?

Any herbs, like rosemary or basil? Always lovely.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Are your raspberries already established over there? And are they thornless? I'd just do them as a hedge myself, those bastards can really take over.

Oh god, I just thought about squash taking over a thorny raspberry hedge and shivered. No one gets out alive!

I also have dreams of planting my own 6 foot high thorned raspberry and blackberry hedge and a ditch of nettles one day along a property perimeter to attract birds, and keep out nosy humans and possibly rouge lions.

Are you going to shade your salad bed at all?

Any herbs, like rosemary or basil? Always lovely.

No, that graphic is just me loving around with figuring out how large a base frame/area of soil I might need to build for a given set of plants, it's not representative of a floor layout. Refer back to the photo of the greenhouse with shelving units in it. The tricky part is figuring out which plants will do best with the sunlight they'll get at a given height on the shelves with other plants on shelves above them (the greenhouses are in full-sun areas where the peak of the roof is running north/south and the only time they'll be in shadow is on cloudy days).

I plan to have some mint growing in scattered large pots (not actually in the same box as other plants because of how it'll take over) but haven't put much thought into herbs like rosemary or basil.

The salad beds will probably be on the waist-high shelves (for eventual easy harvesting once they mature enough for that), so they'll be partially shaded in the main heat-of-the-day periods where the sun is directly overhead (basically getting sun during the morning and afternoon hours and being shaded during the worst/hottest part of the day).

EDIT:

As for any plant taking over another, most of the boxes on the right will be set up to grow vertically on a frame. So I'll be going out daily as the plants grow and "training" them to stick to a given area on the frame and pinching off growths as they get to the edges of where I want them to grow.

I know it's been done and there are guides on how to control squash/etc. when growing them that way, so my biggest worries are pests and maybe things other people have run into where things turned out to be a bad idea to grow together.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 24, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

biracial bear for uncut posted:

No, that graphic is just me loving around with figuring out how large a base frame/area of soil I might need to build for a given set of plants, it's not representative of a floor layout. Refer back to the photo of the greenhouse with shelving units in it.

Aaah. Then I have no input. Never seen greenhouse raspberries. I have seen sewerpipe strawberries though, want to try that someday. Let us know how everything goes!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

How do you plan to grow potatoes in a greenhouse?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mischief posted:

How do you plan to grow potatoes in a greenhouse?

It's basically Square Foot Gardening/Raised Bed Gardening, but said beds are inside a greenhouse instead of sitting around outside.

The main/only benefit will be keeping local rabbits/deer/etc. out of the plants plus keeping the plants warm in cooler weather. Right now I'm working on putting some kind of system in place to keep the greenhouse ventilated/cooled when summer arrives.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Weed Genocide 2017 has begun:

Used 4 mil black plastic.
I found a drought tolerant low maintenance lawn mix to replace the weeds with:
https://protimelawnseed.com/products/fleur-de-lawn?variant=141703882

Also starting my plants outside here in Northern California on a stainless steel wire rack, covered with a clear plastic tarp at nights and during rainy days:

Black Krim, Big Rainbow, Abe Lincoln tomatoes.

Chives.

Lettuce mix.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 26, 2017

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Anyone do worm farming? Considering it, as I want the fertilizer for my garden.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

When do I need to put these tomato seedlings into bigger pots?

Also, the closest one has something weird going on at the bottom of the stem... seems very thin and weak, which I think is why the plant is leaning over so much.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Planet X posted:

I just started a month ago and it's great so far. We live in an apartment so it's the easiest way to compost indoors. They are fat and happy on all our vegetable scraps and coffee grounds :can:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Pham Nuwen posted:

Also, the closest one has something weird going on at the bottom of the stem... seems very thin and weak, which I think is why the plant is leaning over so much.

That happens sometimes when I sprout tomatoes. However when you transplant them you can bury them under quite a bit of dirt and the stem will root. I would go ahead at that stage you have and pot larger, especially if I have a couple months before last frost.

About to throw money once again at trying seedlings. I purchased a warming pad and thermostat for this time around. Mainly for grape cuttings but seedlings... I can never resist trying every year.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 27, 2017

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Planet X posted:

My little worm-worms:

I love 'em! They eat all my fruit + vegetable scraps and coffee grounds. They're some of my best friends.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Some of my corn's starting to come up, very happy :3:

Went and bought some cherry and julia tomato starts to put in 7gals with marigolds. Sprung for the primo organic potting mix.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Pham Nuwen posted:

My rule of thumb is that once the roots are growing (or trying to grow) outside of the pellet, the plants are ready for more dirt. Check the bottom of the pellets to see how they're doing.

And like Fog Tipper said, when you transplant the leaning one, just bury it pretty deeply in the new pot, and it may perk right back up. Be very gentle when moving and planting it, though - it won't be hard to break that thing off at the weak point.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
I got some superhot pepper seeds recently, and I want to start them asap. The instructions from the vendor say that superhot seeds need a sustained temp of 80 - 90F to germinate*. I bought a thermostat to use with a heating pad, and set it up on a covered test tray with just a bit of water in it, but the mat won't heat the water above about 75F. Is there a brand of mat that works better/hotter? Or is there some other solution I should look at (maybe a heat lamp to supplement the mat)?

* I have had spotty luck with superhots in the past, so this is pretty believable to me.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't think heating pads can do more than 5-10 degrees above the ambient temperature. They don't get very hot. If you're willing to spend money on a heat lamp, maybe you could just buy a grow light instead. They can put out a good bit of heat, and you get the added benefit of extra light.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Peristalsis posted:

I got some superhot pepper seeds recently, and I want to start them asap. The instructions from the vendor say that superhot seeds need a sustained temp of 80 - 90F to germinate*. I bought a thermostat to use with a heating pad, and set it up on a covered test tray with just a bit of water in it, but the mat won't heat the water above about 75F. Is there a brand of mat that works better/hotter? Or is there some other solution I should look at (maybe a heat lamp to supplement the mat)?

* I have had spotty luck with superhots in the past, so this is pretty believable to me.

Now I'm by no means an expert, but I feel that people tend to overstate the importance of high germination temperatures for peppers. I germinated this year's pepper seeds at an ambient temperature of 70F bumped up to ~74 under a fluorescent tube growlight, and ended up with 35 seedlings out of 49 seeds. Most of them are c.chinense which is what most superhots are.

Though higher temperatures would probably have netted me a few more seedlings, I'd say 71% is a pretty good germination rate. This is anecdotal, sure, but I'd say you'll do just fine with your heating pad.

Also a little side rant: I don't think i 'get' superhots - they're a novelty item at best. I'd much rather have a midrange pepper so that i can get both flavour AND heat in my food, and not just pure pain. I had a '7 pot brain strain yellow' last season, the plant turned out to be very prolific and now i have a bigass jar of dried peppers I can't use because they turn everything they touch into a chemical weapon.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Has anybody built something along the lines of the Farmbot project for their home garden?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6626b842adca229e69544ad1/v/f520199e28a453fca9c855ce/e/d2c6c72fede33a22f49f90df

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
French apartment chilli guy, im in the south of England and also live in an apartment with a balcony. I grew two Lemon Ahji chilli plants last year on my balcony, each in a 6 litre pot. Each plant produced around 100 chillis over the year, and the Lemon Ahji is a variety that will last multiple years if you bring it inside december-february. I would highly recommend it.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Catpain Slack posted:

Now I'm by no means an expert, but I feel that people tend to overstate the importance of high germination temperatures for peppers. I germinated this year's pepper seeds at an ambient temperature of 70F bumped up to ~74 under a fluorescent tube growlight, and ended up with 35 seedlings out of 49 seeds. Most of them are c.chinense which is what most superhots are.

Normally, I'd agree. But, none of the ghost peppers I bought from the chili pepper institute germinated last year with my normal setup, so I wanted to go by the book this year, at least with the seeds from there. As much as anything else, I'm curious if it will make a difference.

Catpain Slack posted:

Also a little side rant: I don't think i 'get' superhots - they're a novelty item at best. I'd much rather have a midrange pepper so that i can get both flavour AND heat in my food, and not just pure pain. I had a '7 pot brain strain yellow' last season, the plant turned out to be very prolific and now i have a bigass jar of dried peppers I can't use because they turn everything they touch into a chemical weapon.

I couldn't agree more, but last spring I was able to sell superhot plants for $5 each. I stuck the ones that didn't sell in to my own garden, but gave away the pickled peppers and chili powder I made from them. I also like to grow them near the road, so that if anyone starts stealing from my garden, they're likely to see the superhots as the easiest thing to grab.

I use jalapenos, serranos, and wax peppers to make pickles for sandwiches, but I give away anything hotter than that.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I tried to grow some green beans in a pot last year, and they grew like crazy (overgrowing their little trellis and attempting to eat my roommate's bike) until it hit ~90 degrees, and then immediately dropped dead. Is there anything I can do to stop that second part from happening this year?

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Peristalsis posted:

Normally, I'd agree. But, none of the ghost peppers I bought from the chili pepper institute germinated last year with my normal setup, so I wanted to go by the book this year, at least with the seeds from there. As much as anything else, I'm curious if it will make a difference.

Ok wow, that's weird. Maybe try switching vendors or try some other superhot cultivar? Trinidad scorpions and the various 7-pot strains are up there with ghost peppers when it comes to heat, and I can say from experience that at least the 7 pots are easy to germinate.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ahdinko posted:

French apartment chilli guy, im in the south of England and also live in an apartment with a balcony. I grew two Lemon Ahji chilli plants last year on my balcony, each in a 6 litre pot. Each plant produced around 100 chillis over the year, and the Lemon Ahji is a variety that will last multiple years if you bring it inside december-february. I would highly recommend it.

I'll have to look into that variety. How's the taste? I really love the taste of jalapeņos and habaneros. Looking up its scoville it's in a fine range for me anyway.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Goon Danton posted:

I tried to grow some green beans in a pot last year, and they grew like crazy (overgrowing their little trellis and attempting to eat my roommate's bike) until it hit ~90 degrees, and then immediately dropped dead. Is there anything I can do to stop that second part from happening this year?

How moist was the soil at the time? Was there anything around that might have amplified the heat (like a wall)?

I think they should be able to tolerate 90 degrees, but only if the soil is adequately moist. Potted plants also heat up faster than in-ground ones, especially if the pot is black.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'll have to look into that variety. How's the taste? I really love the taste of jalapeņos and habaneros. Looking up its scoville it's in a fine range for me anyway.

They taste citrusy if you let them fully ripen to yellow colour, its quite a nice taste, they go well in a curry or a dish which has lemon or lime as a part of the recipie. Ive still got so many of them in the freezer i could probably chop a few up for the seeds and send you them if laws allow and youre having trouble sourcing them

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How moist was the soil at the time? Was there anything around that might have amplified the heat (like a wall)?

I think they should be able to tolerate 90 degrees, but only if the soil is adequately moist. Potted plants also heat up faster than in-ground ones, especially if the pot is black.

Letting the soil get too dry sounds like a reasonable culprit. Thanks!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Beat the rain and got everything planted.

Except the tomatillos. I still have figured out where I want to put them because they sprawl so drat much and the best open growing area is shaded by a pecan tree. Maybe I will just shove them into some tomato grow bags next to the back deck.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Dug up part of my backyard. Zone 8 I think. Double digging technique as best as I could 150 sq. ft. 18 or so inches down. Reworked the soil added some compost manure and topsoil.

Going to plant carrot leaf lettuce and onion sets tomorrow, have peppers and tomatoes already started indoors. I will post some pictures of my sickly plot at some time.

I am glad this thread is here though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Shifty Pony posted:

Beat the rain and got everything planted.

Except the tomatillos. I still have figured out where I want to put them because they sprawl so drat much and the best open growing area is shaded by a pecan tree. Maybe I will just shove them into some tomato grow bags next to the back deck.
tomatillos are way hardier than tomatoes imho. if you have to put them in a kinda-shady area they'll still do fine, whereas partially shaded tomatoes are kind of a waste of time unless you really don't like having too many tomatoes.

Tomatillos are scrappy though! They don't gently caress around and they will find a way to thrive despite your efforts.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

coyo7e posted:

tomatillos are way hardier than tomatoes imho. if you have to put them in a kinda-shady area they'll still do fine, whereas partially shaded tomatoes are kind of a waste of time unless you really don't like having too many tomatoes.

Tomatillos are scrappy though! They don't gently caress around and they will find a way to thrive despite your efforts.

Last time I grew them they were like cockroaches. They spread everywhere until I stopped watering them and left them to the Texas heat with no shade. That didn't kill them but it did slow them down a bit.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

One of my tomato seedlings has gone a bit wilty on the leaves, which are turning purple on the underside. The other seedlings are fine. I think I've been watering enough, and they've survived quite a while in the new bigger peat pots... Any ideas what's wrong?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I grew some vegetables last year but due to moving in the middle of summer and not paying enough attention, half of them didn't survive. I'm going to try again this year.

I'm going to have my cousin build me either two 4x8x1 raised garden beds, or a bigger 4x16x1, to fit from the little walk to the edge of the garage. I'm not sure what kind of tree that is but I know it grows leaves and blooms :shrug:. Otherwise, the house faces South and so that part of the yard gets sun pretty much all day. I live in Southern Indiana, where we've had 65 degree days followed by snow the next day so who loving knows what the weather will be like anymore. I also plan on getting some kind of wire or plastic rack to put next to the fence behind where I stood, on concrete, to grow herbs and stuff.

-Are things like Miracle Gro Plant Food OK for vegetables and such? I used it last year and the things that survived grew wildly but I don't know if it would affect taste or anything.
-There are a TON of rabbits and squirrels in the neighborhood, whats the best way to keep them away?
-Is there a good resource for location based growing? Like a list of what grows well in certain areas. I found one for Indiana but its from 1998 and who knows how accurate it still is.
-I should probably plant stuff that is partial shade at the end of the garage where the tree, once it has leaves again, will be casting its shadow, right?
-What kind of dirt should I get to fill the beds?

This is the front of the house; the landlords say that strawberries (actual strawberries, not mock strawberries)grow up every year, and have completely taken over the entire bed. I'm OK with strawberries but would it be a good idea to dig/hoe it all up, put in fresh soil, and plant whatever? It looks real bad in these pics. Would putting mesh over afterwords work to keep animals out, if I plant fruits?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 5, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pham Nuwen posted:

One of my tomato seedlings has gone a bit wilty on the leaves, which are turning purple on the underside. The other seedlings are fine. I think I've been watering enough, and they've survived quite a while in the new bigger peat pots... Any ideas what's wrong?
Probably not one which was bred or grafted to have fungal resistant roots. When did you last grow tomatoes or peppers in that dirt?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

coyo7e posted:

Probably not one which was bred or grafted to have fungal resistant roots. When did you last grow tomatoes or peppers in that dirt?

Never, it's seedling mix from a bag.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm not sure what kind of tree that is but I know it grows leaves and blooms :shrug:.

I think it's a redbud. Those look like its bean pods still hanging from the branches. Are the blooms pink and the leaves heart-shaped?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think it's a redbud. Those look like its bean pods still hanging from the branches. Are the blooms pink and the leaves heart-shaped?

I don't remember and neither does the landlord but it does have beanpods. I figure it'll provide a decent amount of shade in that corner for half the day.

EDIT: Found an old pic.

Looks like a redbud to me! Also looks like there isn't as much shade as I thought but its bigger now so maybe?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 6, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Should I till up the grass where I'm going to install my beds or lay down fabric?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
If you're installing beds it wont matter too much what's under them, unless it's poison. Then your gardening's hosed anyway. Just put down weed blocking fabric.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I would lay down cardboard, or something that will decompose. Your tomato plants' roots (or whatever else you plant) won't be able to go through fabric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

gently caress weed matting forever. Use cardboard or thick newspaper- something that breaks down