Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I also like that MHA didn't get BONES'd with an anime original ending like quirks being from aliens or time travelers from the future or something

Whoever was in charge of the first FMA anime must've been working through a rough time in his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I still can't get over how refreshing it is that anime has begun to embrace the concept of seasons. The need to run continuously was such a drain on quality. You can probably make the same argument with manga, actually.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I still can't get over how refreshing it is that anime has begun to embrace the concept of seasons. The need to run continuously was such a drain on quality. You can probably make the same argument with manga, actually.
yeah but on the other hand it leads to lots of stuff that gets an adaptation of like, the first third or first half and then falls off a cliff, and that's when you're dealing with a medium-length light novel series

imagine if mha had never gotten a season 2 for whatever reason, the anime would barely even cover the prologue of the story.

Xarbala posted:

Whoever was in charge of the first FMA anime must've been working through a rough time in his life.
pretty much everything seiji mizushima does is like that. un-go and concrevo are pretty good, though.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Endorph posted:

yeah but on the other hand it leads to lots of stuff that gets an adaptation of like, the first third or first half and then falls off a cliff, and that's when you're dealing with a medium-length light novel series

imagine if mha had never gotten a season 2 for whatever reason, the anime would barely even cover the prologue of the story.

I don't know, I think I'd rather have an incomplete adaptation of (something like) MHA than something that veers off and tries (and usually fails) to do its own thing. At least then the thing has the option of being picked back up without having to basically redo what has already been covered.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fabricated posted:

I also like that MHA didn't get BONES'd with an anime original ending like quirks being from aliens or time travelers from the future or something

But it might have a courage punch.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kild posted:

nah you just said they had ADD, because they said stretching a chapter to a whole episode wasn't good, instead.

And I fully believe that.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Hey that's not cool, charles. Cut it out please, if you wouldn't mind.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

And I fully believe that.

I don't think Cinema Sins is commenting in this thread, personally.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
eh.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I think they look pretty good! But the best MHA cosplay I've seen so far is still these two I met at Winter Comiket.

And have a bonus duo who were also great.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Part of me is really hoping Horikoshi doesn't go and watch Logan and get any ideas.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fabricated posted:

Part of me is really hoping Horikoshi doesn't go and watch Logan and get any ideas.

To be fair, MHA seems to be a love letter to silver age comics, which is the exact opposite of Logan.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

And then you have stuff that takes literally four years for the source material to get to a point where you can fill up a second season and by then, nobody really cares about the property anymore.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fabricated posted:

Spoiler for someone that doesn't plan to see it?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
((Wolverine + The Wrestler) x Children of Men) ^ The Last Of Us = Logan.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Electric Phantasm posted:

It is a good movie that you should see.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

You should go see Logan. It is exceptionally good with perhaps one or two hokey/awkward bits at the end.

It is not to be compared to the likes of the previous X-Men movies, or any superhero movies really. It's definitely more of a The Last Of Us movie than a TLOU movie probably would've wound up being. Maybe the people who were looking to make the TLOU movie saw Logan and just gave up because they couldn't top it. :v:

edit: it's got a 93% on RT, but I wouldn't consider that to similar scores other superhero movies get. It is so much better for its drama, storytelling, actually pretty fantastic humor, self-awareness that doesn't take away from the gravity of things one bit, and acting. Patrick Stewart works his acting magic, Hugh Jackman nails the "busted old man" air Logan has around him, and EllieLaura is one of the best child actors I've seen in years for a variety of reasons I won't spoil.

It does, it should be said, ramp up the brutality you might have seen in The Last Of Us by a factor of ten. I never cringe at violence in movies normally, but some of the deaths and injuries in Logan are horrific. They never yank the camera away, which helps.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I think they look pretty good! But the best MHA cosplay I've seen so far is still these two I met at Winter Comiket.

this is the loving best.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 6, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Logan was good and I enjoyed it very much despite being a massive wuss who doesn't like seeing people being brutally murdered in live action shows.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Yeah by all rights the way Logan dispatches people should gross me the gently caress out but the movie doesn't really dwell on it, so it was fine.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hate-Senpai posted:

Logan was good and I enjoyed it very much despite being a massive wuss who doesn't like seeing people being brutally murdered in live action shows.

Listen to Laura's wisdom, they were all bad guys.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, I have no qualms with bad guys dying, I just don't like gore.

It's easier to deal with it in manga or anime, where it's 2D.

It's why I refuse to watch horror movies.

LOGAN SPOILERS.
Also that nice family died and they were not bad at all. I just felt really sad for them and wanted to yell at Charles for suggesting they spend the night.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Hate-Senpai posted:

LOGAN SPOILERS.
Also that nice family died and they were not bad at all. I just felt really sad for them and wanted to yell at Charles for suggesting they spend the night.

MORE LOGAN SPOILERS.
It's just like holy gently caress can you not see where this is going? You're on the goddamn run and they already mysteriously found you once. Fake Logan reveal was priceless though, I have to say. That movie was not kind to Charles.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr Subterfuge posted:

MORE LOGAN SPOILERS.
It's just like holy gently caress can you not see where this is going? You're on the goddamn run and they already mysteriously found you once. Fake Logan reveal was priceless though, I have to say. That movie was not kind to Charles.

EVEN MORE LOGAN SPOILERS.

The movie was not kind to anyone, to be fair. It's sorta sad that even after going through all that trouble of changing the past, the original mutants end up being wiped out and the X-Men are killed off so suddenly.

Then again, better going out like that than living in a hellscape where everyone is enslaved by Sentinels.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hate-Senpai posted:

EVEN MORE LOGAN SPOILERS.

The movie was not kind to anyone, to be fair. It's sorta sad that even after going through all that trouble of changing the past, the original mutants end up being wiped out and the X-Men are killed off so suddenly.

Then again, better going out like that than living in a hellscape where everyone is enslaved by Sentinels.

Looks like you went and thought them comics were real. Maybe a quarter of it happened, and not like that. Which is the best in universe explanation ever given for why all X-Men universes, whether cinematic, animated, or comic, are convoluted messes that never actually fit together logically.

Admittedly, YET EVEN MORE LOGAN SPOILERS, the kids did go and make part of the made up comic stuff real.

Edit: Please don't use Toga and Ochako to create the next installation of the X-Men's who is the real Jean Grey, Horikoshi.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 6, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gyges posted:

Looks like you went and thought them comics were real. Maybe a quarter of it happened, and not like that. Which is the best in universe explanation ever given for why all X-Men universes, whether cinematic, animated, or comic, are convoluted messes that never actually fit together logically.

Admittedly, YET EVEN MORE LOGAN SPOILERS, the kids did go and make part of the made up comic stuff real.

Edit: Please don't use Toga and Ochako to create the next installation of the X-Men's who is the real Jean Grey, Horikoshi.

I sorta assumed that since it was Hugh Jackman's final movie, Logan would sort of be detatched from the rest of the continuity of the new timeline, in that it takes place post Days of Future Past but isn't necessarily the conclusion to the new timeline.

Since Logan remembers the Statue of Liberty events from the very 1st movie, which was retconned out of existence after Days of Future Past.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair, MHA seems to be a love letter to silver age comics, which is the exact opposite of Logan.
Someone here posited that Horikoshi is kinda tracing the timeline of American comics in tone/format as the series goes on.

Basically without spoiling the specifics- imagine a relatively bad end to the whole X-men/Mutants saga but it being a very down-to-earth, pathetic/mundane end like how real life tends to work instead of it ending in some glorious universe/space-and-time shattering battle with god-like figures.

The equivalent of LOGAN happening in MHA would be basically:

-All Might doesn't die in some fight or dramatically at the hands of Shigaraki, but rather his health takes a turn for the worse and he dies pretty pathetically in a hospital bed.

-The Hero System is ended not by some cataclysm that destroys society, but rather it just dies a death of a million cuts. Continued attacks by psychotic murderers on school children (some maybe successful finally), heroes causing more crime than they solve because villains inspired by the VA take their grudges with society out on them, general public dissatisfaction with the system without their Superman holding it all up, etc. The governments finally just decide it's antiquated, doesn't work, and they end costumed heroism as a job- just rolling heroes into the police and letting the police and military use their quirks.

-Some random megarich rear end in a top hat isolates the quirk gene and manages to get a nominally harmless new additive into all packaged drinks and foodstuffs that basically inoculates the populace against the expression of the quirk gene, ending the era of quirks in the most quiet pathetic way as possible.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 6, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
This MHA final chapter would also be moved from Shonen Jump to a Seinen magazine.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Man Logan sounds like a ride, but yeah I'll go see it.

Am I good going in not remembering much from the other movies?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

It has precisely fuckall to do with the rest of the movies other than the X-men having existed.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Basically just remember that Wolverine went back to the past, mucked around with it, and changed the future to a ... hopefully better one than mega sentinel death.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Basically just remember that Wolverine went back to the past, mucked around with it, and changed the future to a ... hopefully better one than mega sentinel death.
You should watch Days of Future Past anyway though, it's good

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Wolverines dick flops out of his jeans

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Work Friend Keven posted:

Wolverines dick flops out of his jeans

I'd watch it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Oh hey new chapter

jesus christ

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Blockhouse posted:

Oh hey new chapter

jesus christ
Yeah this went in a direction I didn't quite expect

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Tortured little girl who is instrumental to the villain's plan is a tried plot device already, though.

That said I have faith Horikoshi can write it well.

Also, the link: http://mangastream.com/r/my_hero_academia/129/4085/1

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

blizzardvizard posted:

Tortured little girl who is instrumental to the villain's plan is a tried plot device already, though.

That said I have faith Horikoshi can write it well.

Also, the link: http://mangastream.com/r/my_hero_academia/129/4085/1

Honestly badguy that kills off his own guys without a second thought while they still remain loyal is a more tired trope I feel.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'll take your word for it about the band name, Pipboy.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm really enjoying the dynamic between Midoriya and Tintin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think the difference in their outlook: pragmatism versus heroism regardless of risk is the reason that All Might passed on Tintin while his sidekick favors him. That's not saying one is better or not since it's pretty clear they would possibly both be dead in a fight against Overhaul at this stage.