Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Mercury Ballistic posted:

China has the empty buildings. Everywhere. They are building to keep the economy afloat and people employed, but it is all slowly falling apart and anyone who could sent their money to Vancouver or other such places.

Empty, but selling because to a retail Chinese investor who can't get money offshore, it looks better than the Chinese stock market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

FCKGW posted:

Did y'all miss the part where the coax is plugged into something shaped like an electrical outlet?

I run an owner-occupied building so I'm responsible for a few things like this because when they want something like that, they get something like that. For me it's not about stock, but they want a "uniform look" in a particular space, so we use the same wall-plates for silly things. They wanted some WAPs installed throughout and we ended up drilling blank wall-plates that we use everywhere and pushed cat6 through for the IT guys to terminate. I think it looks silly compared to a wall-jack but they don't make wall-jack plates that match what we use for electrical.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Also, the people who buy are in a completely different income demographic than the ones in the current homes. Rich vs middle class, and they attract rich people shops and prices, furthering the cost of living climb.

Honestly this is a good thing, our country is getting more and more segregated as people move to where there are people like themselves. Neighborhoods that have a good mix of incomes and backgrounds are good for moderating opinions and creating an inclusive society.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I admit you may be correct, bit I don't have to like it. :colbert:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah this idea that developers are so stupid that they just keep sinking money into empty houses, condos, or apartments is just so ludicrous.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170223-chinas-zombie-factories-and-unborn-cities

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah this idea that developers are so stupid that they just keep sinking money into empty houses, condos, or apartments is just so ludicrous.

Well they keep lobbying to be allowed to build on floodplains so let's not have too high an opiniojn of them.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tunicate posted:

Well they keep lobbying to be allowed to build on floodplains so let's not have too high an opiniojn of them.

There's a lot of "IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME" which results in completely empty luxury apartments in regions starving for affordable ones.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Tunicate posted:

I never said they were smart, just that they were smart enough to not build apartments and condos in places with no demand for them.

endlessmonotony posted:

There's a lot of "IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME" which results in completely empty luxury apartments in regions starving for affordable ones.

Prove it. This is the neverending siren call of the NIMBY, "why are they building all this luxury stuff when it's all empty anyway." It's simply not true

To be clear, I'm talking about new construction in metro areas with growing economies and low unemployment. I don't know what people are doing 60 miles outside of Phoenix, but in successful metro areas, there is demand for new construction, even luxury, and people are living there.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

FISHMANPET posted:

I never said they were smart, just that they were smart enough to not build apartments and condos in places with no demand for them.

Prove it. This is the neverending siren call of the NIMBY, "why are they building all this luxury stuff when it's all empty anyway." It's simply not true

To be clear, I'm talking about new construction in metro areas with growing economies and low unemployment. I don't know what people are doing 60 miles outside of Phoenix, but in successful metro areas, there is demand for new construction, even luxury, and people are living there.

I'm in Europe and can't really bother to translate, maybe it's different there.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
OK I have no idea what's going on in Europe, so I'll be clear that I'm talking about the USA.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't know if it is a widespread problem, but there is some whining out of Vancouver about people buying investment properties and leaving them empty during a dire housing shortage. I guess the property value is rising fast enough that they can leave the place empty most of the year and still theoretically come out in the black after paying taxes, insurance, utilities and strata fees on the empty units.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/city-of-vancouver-approves-empty-homes-tax-1.3853542

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And from the perspective of the developer, even if nobody is living there, somebody is buying it, which is all they care about.

I follow local development in my city (and it's opposition) pretty closely, and I hear this trotted out all the time. Developer X is building a new apartment building even though the one they finished 6 months ago is completely empty. You can go stand in front of it and see people going in and out like they live there, but to these nimby's it's all one massive conspiracy where developers bribe the city to get approvals, build these buildings, let them sit empty, then do it all over again. It's ludicrous.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Facebook Aunt posted:

I don't know if it is a widespread problem, but there is some whining out of Vancouver about people buying investment properties and leaving them empty during a dire housing shortage. I guess the property value is rising fast enough that they can leave the place empty most of the year and still theoretically come out in the black after paying taxes, insurance, utilities and strata fees on the empty units.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/city-of-vancouver-approves-empty-homes-tax-1.3853542

And the problem in Finland is people expecting that to happen any moment now and thus building the apartments for the investors and rich people sure to come... ignoring the fact that so much of Finland is undeveloped by comparison that you can pretty much have a mansion within a fifteen minute taxi ride from the center of most cities, combined with the fact that the profit margin for lovely apartments is much higher when there's a severe housing crisis ongoing (and thus people with capital to build things play blackjack where supplying over demand is a disaster).

The end result is luxury apartments in regions too noisy for their market, going massively underutilized, while their owners double down on the "any day now" and a severe shortage of cheap housing.

EDIT: Obviously they immediately get rented out once the people responsible for funding them finally admit their master plan was stupid, but never underestimate the ability of people to remain irrational.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 6, 2017

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
There's been a huge influx of luxury development in my city, but it seems to be occupied and the reported occupancy rate for the city is like 96%

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Build a wall to keep economic migrants out of Silicon Valley.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

peanut posted:

Build a wall to keep economic migrants out of Silicon Valley.

You mean in Silicon Valley? People moving out of there generally have ludicrously large stacks of money with which to gently caress up the real estate market of any municipality they chose to move to.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

endlessmonotony posted:

And the problem in Finland is people expecting that to happen any moment now and thus building the apartments for the investors and rich people sure to come... ignoring the fact that so much of Finland is undeveloped by comparison that you can pretty much have a mansion within a fifteen minute taxi ride from the center of most cities, combined with the fact that the profit margin for lovely apartments is much higher when there's a severe housing crisis ongoing (and thus people with capital to build things play blackjack where supplying over demand is a disaster).

The end result is luxury apartments in regions too noisy for their market, going massively underutilized, while their owners double down on the "any day now" and a severe shortage of cheap housing.

EDIT: Obviously they immediately get rented out once the people responsible for funding them finally admit their master plan was stupid, but never underestimate the ability of people to remain irrational.

Yeah, if you build/buy property and you're somehow losing money every month on it, eventually the glorious invisible hand of the free market will step in and slap you. Nobody can afford to hold a losing asset forever (unless it's part of a tax dodge or something weird is going on).

In the case of poorly placed luxury condos, it may take a few years but eventually the market value will drop. So you'll get middle class people living in dingy, hastily built and poorly maintained properties with marble countertops and huge windows.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, if you build/buy property and you're somehow losing money every month on it, eventually the glorious invisible hand of the free market will step in and slap you. Nobody can afford to hold a losing asset forever (unless it's part of a tax dodge or something weird is going on).

The company that owns the buildings sells the units at a loss, pays out salaries (and bonuses!) to the company executives, then goes bankrupt, leaving the banks/investors that financed said buildings holding the bag. Sure the execs would rather have sold the units to rich people and kept the company around, but they can always reincorporate under a different name.

Just because the market punished a loser doesn't mean there wasn't collateral damage. You can argue that the company's backers ought to have researched what they were financing more carefully, and you wouldn't be wrong, but that doesn't change the individual incentives at play here. There's plenty of people that will happily trample anyone and everyone in pursuit of personal enrichment, and they'll lie through their teeth to the investors if that's what it takes.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FISHMANPET posted:

And from the perspective of the developer, even if nobody is living there, somebody is buying it, which is all they care about.

I follow local development in my city (and it's opposition) pretty closely, and I hear this trotted out all the time. Developer X is building a new apartment building even though the one they finished 6 months ago is completely empty. You can go stand in front of it and see people going in and out like they live there, but to these nimby's it's all one massive conspiracy where developers bribe the city to get approvals, build these buildings, let them sit empty, then do it all over again. It's ludicrous.

One of the things that happens with luxury property (esp condo's) is they become a way to launder money, either to clean it up from criminal enterprise or to move it from one country to another. The people doing this don't actually care much if they make any money (or even lose a bit), as long as that money is quickly available to them on short notice.

You can see this type of thing if you look at Vancouver's recent history. As soon as there was a tax on foreign (chinese) property buying, buying effectively stopped, and the money went elsewhere (Toronto). That doesn't mean the property went empty, though they often did, just that the people living there weren't likely to be the owners.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MrYenko posted:

You mean in Silicon Valley? People moving out of there generally have ludicrously large stacks of money with which to gently caress up the real estate market of any municipality they chose to move to.

I live in Berkeley and the developers up here are completely into the cargo cult build it and they will come logic. Nobody who works in Palo Alto or San Jose wants to live here considering the commute.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
/r/DIY delivers again. Check out the S trap: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/F8auH

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Here's a good article on the BBC about effort housing and the various reasons some buildings remain partially empty

Why are so many British homes empty? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34930602

Tl:dr super wealthy investors don't care about lost rent, selling a pristine never-been-sullied apartment is worth more than lost rent.

Note that for the UK it mentions 600k empty homes including old stock, we have a population of 65 million.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://betterdwelling.com/vacant-homes-global-epidemic-paris-fighting-60-tax/#_

Paris is trying by pushing up vacant property tax to 60% of rent.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

FCKGW posted:

Sounds like they're adding housing stock by replacing houses on inefficient lots.

...comrade, please

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hope ya'll like mold.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GreenNight posted:

I hope ya'll like mold.

Still better than carpet.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Week 1: Oh these fake plants make the bathroom look so natural, so beautiful!
Week 21: THESE loving VINES KEEP POKING MY rear end

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

kid sinister posted:

The S-trap is a holdover from the original plumbing. He didn't comment on the trap but did state the plumbing was in bad shape and will need to be replaced down the road.

I love the comments that thought the second photo was "after". I did too, at first.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Old countertop was better. More counter space and who cares how large a bathroom sink is?

Old mirror was better

New tile wins by default

New cabinets/drawers have pulls, so they win

I would have replaced the toilet and tiles and left it at that.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

kid sinister posted:

apart from the plumbing being in dire need of replacement, did he actually do anything incorrectly?

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Week 1: Oh these fake plants make the bathroom look so natural, so beautiful!
Week 21: THESE loving VINES KEEP POKING MY rear end

Fake? No no no. Gotta have LIVE plants.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

GreenNight posted:

I hope ya'll like mold.

My friends in Germany have a very large number of plants and ferns in their master bathroom, but they are in professional greenhouse style planters, and of course they meticulously clean the bathroom and prune the plants. Most importantly they didn't plop a giant pile of rocks in the corner of the shower which I'm assuming is a giant un-cleanable biohazard by now.

I don't hate this idea. Even having hanging plants / potted plants around the shower isn't inherently stupid assuming very regular cleaning of the shower but that pile of rocks really is something else. That big one probably weighs 400 lbs or so...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Those bigger rocks on the floor seem like they’d get mighty slippery.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Avenging_Mikon posted:

apart from the plumbing being in dire need of replacement, did he actually do anything incorrectly?

I'm no plumber, but I suspect the way they hooked up the sink drain to the sewer line would be prone to leaking; the only thing stopping water from leaking out is a hose clamp.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm no plumber, but I suspect the way they hooked up the sink drain to the sewer line would be prone to leaking; the only thing stopping water from leaking out is a hose clamp.

It's a legit thing

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pipes-Fittings/Fernco/N-5yc1vZbqpfZ4hs

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Platystemon posted:

Old countertop was better. More counter space and who cares how large a bathroom sink is?

Old mirror was better

New tile wins by default

New cabinets/drawers have pulls, so they win

I would have replaced the toilet and tiles and left it at that.

Old countertop was ugly as hell and it looks like the new one still has plenty of space?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I hope ya'll like mold.

Having a giant open shower is pretty great, although I don't know how much I'd like only having a rainfall shower head.

Everything else is terrible.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

GreenNight posted:

I hope ya'll like mold.

Building issues aside, I don't believe soap and shampoo and conditioner are great for plants.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kid sinister posted:

Building issues aside, I don't believe soap and shampoo and conditioner are great for plants.

That's why you should only shower with Brawndo.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

I grew up in California during a drought. My dad installed a greywater reclamation system that he used to water the lawn and various ornamental plants, and they did fine. I don't know that I'd use it for food crops, and it's possible that plants physically located in the shower would get a less dilute dose of the nasty stuff. But in principle I think they'd probably be more at risk of a) getting overwatered, and b) not getting enough light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Good lord, I need to find the previous owner of my home and smack him.

He did almost nothing right with any of his projects. The bathroom is the worse thing...one of these days I'll take pictures of everything in there to post here (I think I've done a few, but almost every inch has something wrong, I swear.)

But today, it's the half set of stairs leading from our entrance to the basement. My GF is home today and we talked about ripping up a crummy rug that was on them and then just re-painting them, since some paint is chipping/peeling off the edges of the stairs.

Here's what it looks like post rug (and also post-caulk, since there were some LARGE gaps, according to her, which probably also contributed to the massive drafts/coldness we always felt.):

Like...holy poo poo, how loving lazy are you that you avoid what is probably a whopping 2 extra minutes of painting because you're going to put a rug down? A rug that, I might add, was not properly installed, either. It was just a regular hallways running rug that almost, sort-of, fit on those stairs. You see how the top riser is painted white? That's because the rug stopped short by like 6 inches. It was also just lazily stapled in a few times on each step and riser..no tackless strips, no padding, nothing.