Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

stevewm posted:

Silverlight (Did anyone actually ever use this?)

Unidesk uses it unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

D34THROW posted:

They're killing Netflix support :psyduck:

...and yes, I do. Quote website for one of my distributors. Silverlight is the reason I have to keep an IE install around because Chrome doesn't support that turd. :eng99:
Uhhh netflix has been running happily in html5 since NPAPIs got banned from chrome, maybe push your rock off your head.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

OSI bean dip posted:

Also why are you using a web browser to watch Netflix? That is what your Chromecast or [insert device here] is for.

Wah? Why do I need to get another device to watch Netflix?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

Also why are you using a web browser to watch Netflix? That is what your Chromecast or [insert device here] is for.
You can't shitpost from a tv while watching netflix though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SinineSiil posted:

Wah? Why do I need to get another device to watch Netflix?

because web browsers are for olds so quiet down grandpa and go back to your retirement home

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

stevewm posted:

If anyone has noticed.. Firefox 52, due for release any time, removes support for NPAPI plugins, the most notable of which is Java, and also Silverlight (Did anyone actually ever use this?)

IE will stand alone as the only browser still supporting Java.
That's good. If you're using Firefox in any sort of business capacity you should be using Firefox ESR, anyway.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SharePoint 2010 uses Silverlight for some of the Office integration features, and I think also the data grid view of lists.
A major loss.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Huh, I thought Chrome had java bundled in. It doesn't support it at all? poo poo, we need to upgrade our SSO appliance ASAP.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Huh, I thought Chrome had java bundled in. It doesn't support it at all? poo poo, we need to upgrade our SSO appliance ASAP.

https://java.com/en/download/faq/chrome.xml

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

If I could count the people here that have their 2nd monitor as just a picture frame

The 65 year old receptionist here has a second monitor, always leaves it turned off, and has actual photographs of her grandkids stuck in it

Once a week we get a call from her how some program isn't doing anything or is frozen up - she's got a window open, on the other monitor, that's waiting for input.

Sounds like the data cable for that monitor is about to mysteriously work loose.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Another major browser cuts the Java cord. Good riddance. My sympathy left ten years ago when I had to install java update number five million.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

D34THROW posted:

They're killing Netflix support :psyduck:

...and yes, I do. Quote website for one of my distributors. Silverlight is the reason I have to keep an IE install around because Chrome doesn't support that turd. :eng99:

The wotc website had a character generator we were using for 4th edition games. It works up until a breaking change in a more recent version of silverlight and the character generator was deprecated because of 5th edition.

I had to maintain two side by side copies of IE with two different builds of silverlight just to be able to use that loving program, because I also had a dependency on the latest version for another program I used constantly. It was like windows-98 all over again.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

sfwarlock posted:

Sounds like the data cable for that monitor is about to mysteriously work loose.

Nah. The person who sits there on Mondays and Fridays uses both screens

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Bob Morales posted:

Nah. The person who sits there on Mondays and Fridays uses both screens

So wait, the photos of her grandkids are still stuck there whenever the other user works? Or does she take them out on Thursday afternoon and put them back up on Tuesday morning?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MiniFoo posted:

So wait, the photos of her grandkids are still stuck there whenever the other user works? Or does she take them out on Thursday afternoon and put them back up on Tuesday morning?

She takes those photos and the photos on her desk home on the weekends. Mostly because of people pranking her and stuff like that (replacing them with photoshopped versions etc)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

She takes those photos and the photos on her desk home on the weekends. Mostly because of people pranking her and stuff like that (replacing them with photoshopped versions etc)

I don't even work there and I hate your workplace.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Paladine_PSoT posted:

The wotc website had a character generator we were using for 4th edition games. It works up until a breaking change in a more recent version of silverlight and the character generator was deprecated because of 5th edition.

I had to maintain two side by side copies of IE with two different builds of silverlight just to be able to use that loving program, because I also had a dependency on the latest version for another program I used constantly. It was like windows-98 all over again.

You definitely shouldn't just download the cracked version of the character generator. It hasn't been updated in years, and you can use it offline. That would be wrong.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Fool posted:

I don't even work there and I hate your workplace.

Photoshopping someone's family pictures sounds pretty funny to me.

Its not screwed up like a faulty sata cable anyway, is even more harmless than the old wireless mouse trick.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

For that stuff context is everything. If she takes it in a good natured way and they are not nasty jokes in the photoshops it may be OK. But given everything else we have heard about the place the entire environment sounds toxic as anything.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

:aaa: I just sent out a bunch of emails and only a few people got them!
:3: I can help you with that, when did you send them?
:aaa: Earlier today. Some people got them, some didn't
:3: Are these people service providers or customers? Are they the service ticket emails?
:aaa: No, they are here at the office
:3: That's weird. Who are some of the people who didn't get the emails? I can check the logs
:aaa: Joe, Tom, Sue
:3: Hrmmm I don't see any messages to them that aren't going through. Did you send them from Outlook, the service program...?
:aaa: CBS Sport's website
:3: Huh?
:aaa: It's for the March Madness basketball pool
:3: Seriously?
:aaa: Yea
:3: *calls rackspace to have them check the incoming logs*

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Do you know my password for the basketball thing? I tried dmsith@ourcompany.com and it didn't work...

No, it's not your username and password here. It's something from CBS Sports. It has nothing to do with your OUR_COMPANY account. Go see Dipshit McGee he's setting all that up.

:greencube:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

Do you know my password for the basketball thing? I tried dmsith@ourcompany.com and it didn't work...

No, it's not your username and password here. It's something from CBS Sports. It has nothing to do with your OUR_COMPANY account. Go see Dipshit McGee he's setting all that up.

Oh man, if somebody filed a ticket about their fantasy league I would start breaking hands.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

I had people doing this with join.me invitations the other week, but christ, at least that was work-related

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

stevewm posted:

If anyone has noticed.. Firefox 52, due for release any time, removes support for NPAPI plugins, the most notable of which is Java, and also Silverlight (Did anyone actually ever use this?)

IE will stand alone as the only browser still supporting Java.

The company I'm leaving Wednesday just installed a new ERP system that's entirely silverlight. And (it's a warehouse) their pick system is java based. Their new ticketing system uses both. I'm kinda glad to be leaving for more reasons than I was initially.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
It's not pissing me off yet...

But today I took it upon myself to label our loaner laptops, bags, and power adapters just so it was easier to figure out which one was missing the adapter that day.

Anyone wanna place bets on how long until the labels are purposefully removed by users? Note, these labels are literally just the number on a 9mm piece of label tape. I'm giving it a week.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ugato posted:

The company I'm leaving Wednesday just installed a new ERP system that's entirely silverlight. And (it's a warehouse) their pick system is java based. Their new ticketing system uses both. I'm kinda glad to be leaving for more reasons than I was initially.

Didn't MS stop supporting Silverlight quite a while back?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
This is some ghetto-rear end poo poo, the big boss and sales director called me in to ask what an IP address is... I already don't like where this is going.

Basically they've got account details for a credit checking service and they don't want the login to be tracked back to our public IP, because we already have an account with them and there's some kind of issue with them. They ask if we can get another public IP to which I say no because I don't want any networking shenanigans, I said there's probably nothing to worry about our public IP showing up on their login logs but if they're that desperate to login to this account with a different public IP I'll just grab a laptop and tether it to a phone cell connection and you can have at it.

Didn't matter because they couldn't get the account information right anyway, nothing like the sweet smell of licensing violations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ugato posted:

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

(I also support a warehouse)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Bob Morales posted:

:aaa: I just sent out a bunch of emails and only a few people got them!
:3: I can help you with that, when did you send them?
:aaa: Earlier today. Some people got them, some didn't
:3: Are these people service providers or customers? Are they the service ticket emails?
:aaa: No, they are here at the office
:3: That's weird. Who are some of the people who didn't get the emails? I can check the logs
:aaa: Joe, Tom, Sue
:3: Hrmmm I don't see any messages to them that aren't going through. Did you send them from Outlook, the service program...?
:aaa: CBS Sport's website
:3: Huh?
:aaa: It's for the March Madness basketball pool
:3: Seriously?
:aaa: Yea
:3: *calls rackspace to have them check the incoming logs*

I had people complain when they simply didn't add people to their recipients. No idea how they expected them to get the email then...

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Thanatosian posted:

You definitely shouldn't just download the cracked version of the character generator. It hasn't been updated in years, and you can use it offline. That would be wrong.

There were like 8 of us sharing the same subscription and updating our character sheets between games. It worked until Phil figured out he could start editing poo poo like his stats and other people's inventories and whatnot. Thanks Phil.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just spent 30 minutes crafting an e-mail to the CFO telling her that she shouldn't have her team migrate their data themselves because they'll gently caress it up in a polite way.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Fool posted:

I just spent 30 minutes crafting an e-mail to the CFO telling her that she shouldn't have her team migrate their data themselves because they'll gently caress it up in a polite way.

Did you write 18 rear end in a top hat drafts first to get it out of your system?

"To CFO: To ensure data integrity, and the speediest conclusion of the migration, the IT team should be the ones to perform the task due to our specialization in the systems involved. I feel your team is better served working with their specializations, and we can ensure they get back to that as quickly as possible."

Bam! Plays to their ego, while underlining your expertise.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Did you write 18 rear end in a top hat drafts first to get it out of your system?

"To CFO: To ensure data integrity, and the speediest conclusion of the migration, the IT team should be the ones to perform the task due to our specialization in the systems involved. I feel your team is better served working with their specializations, and we can ensure they get back to that as quickly as possible."

Bam! Plays to their ego, while underlining your expertise.

Yeah.

My final draft was very similar to your suggestion, with the addition of calling out security concerns (semi-complicated acls) and auditing needs.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Fool posted:

at $AWFUL_JOB when we had that awful manager (that passed out on the toilet and was wedged between the toilet and the wall) we were doing an exchange migration (inhouse from and old exchange to a newer one) the bosses wanted to fire him, so they told me to let him plan the mail migration so it will purposely fail and they can fire him, and then go back after and redo it. Yeah, so I'm going to sit in the office friday night into saturday and let this idiot delete all our mail, and then stay all Sunday and redo it. What a brilliant plan. Just fire the guy, he's proven he's incompetent, so whatever.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

at $AWFUL_JOB when we had that awful manager (that passed out on the toilet and was wedged between the toilet and the wall) we were doing an exchange migration (inhouse from and old exchange to a newer one) the bosses wanted to fire him, so they told me to let him plan the mail migration so it will purposely fail and they can fire him, and then go back after and redo it. Yeah, so I'm going to sit in the office friday night into saturday and let this idiot delete all our mail, and then stay all Sunday and redo it. What a brilliant plan. Just fire the guy, he's proven he's incompetent, so whatever.

Hope you had/have good backups.

EDIT: and that they actually work :v:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rhymenoserous posted:

Hope you had/have good backups.

EDIT: and that they actually work :v:

he stumbled around like a fool for a couple hours and we just did it the right way ourselves.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Fool posted:

Yeah.

My final draft was very similar to your suggestion, with the addition of calling out security concerns (semi-complicated acls) and auditing needs.

Ugh, gently caress auditing. Good luck on convincing them.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I don't want to see or hear anything more about credit cards, ever again...

For the past week, been working on converting our retail stores over to a new credit card platform so we can accept EMV, contactless, etc.. We have been burned several times due to the liability shift, so it was made priority to make the switch ASAP.

Some issues have cropped up at our test store. So I've spent several days running register and ringing customers out so I can see the issues myself that were coming up and figure out how to solve them or report them to the developer. Its been "fun". What has surprised me (though it shouldn't have I guess) is how many times problems are the fault of the customer. A huge amount of people simply don't know how to handle EMV cards yet. I thought our new system was simple... Put the card in, pick debit or credit when asked, enter PIN# or sign when prompted. Remove card when prompted. About every other customer gets a look of dread on their face when you tell them they have to insert their card.

A few seem to have an irrational fear of EMV cards. Had more than one customer pay with cash when they realized they had to use their chip.

People are strange....

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Ugh, gently caress auditing. Good luck on convincing them.

Nobody's really auditing anything. It's just a dog whistle for them to behave.

stevewm posted:

Some issues have cropped up at our test store. So I've spent several days running register and ringing customers out so I can see the issues myself that were coming up and figure out how to solve them or report them to the developer. Its been "fun". What has surprised me (though it shouldn't have I guess) is how many times problems are the fault of the customer. A huge amount of people simply don't know how to handle EMV cards yet. I thought our new system was simple... Put the card in, pick debit or credit when asked, enter PIN# or sign when prompted. Remove card when prompted. About every other customer gets a look of dread on their face when you tell them they have to insert their card.

Roughly two generations were trained to mash on buttans or scribble. People need time to adjust (still, in 2017) tip: make the remove noise as loud and nagging as possible.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

stevewm posted:

I don't want to see or hear anything more about credit cards, ever again...

For the past week, been working on converting our retail stores over to a new credit card platform so we can accept EMV, contactless, etc.. We have been burned several times due to the liability shift, so it was made priority to make the switch ASAP.

A few seem to have an irrational fear of EMV cards. Had more than one customer pay with cash when they realized they had to use their chip.

People are strange....

Sorry, my stolen credit card only works with the magnetic strip :saddowns: