Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
They are, in fact, pretty bad. There's an ok amount of plot movement that continues things going on from better books which is a sort of momentum based goodness....but on their own merits, bad. In context of how long they took to come out they are extremely bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
On a second reread I really liked feast. No dany chapters is quite the treat, she really sucks in dance but kinda sucks all throughout. Jaime's sections are really good, I even liked Brienne that time around. Sansa had cool stuff too. Cersei loving up king's landing was funny even if it introduced a cast of redshirts.

Dance is much worse, with boring tyrion and tons of boring meereen stuff dominating the book. Theon stuff was cool but not cool enough to make up for it.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

violent sex idiot posted:

ok like i understand hyperbole but there is no loving way grrms wet fart of a book could be either the worst edited or longest fantasy novel come on. there is no limit to the amount of worthless garbage someone other than gurm could have written

Among genre authors, Martin is King Turd of poo poo Mountain for sure.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Imagine if JRR Tolkien wrote like GRRM. How long could he have padded LoTR out?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'd rather reread A Dance With Dragons than the Perrin and Faile side-plot in The Wheel of Time.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

On a second reread I really liked feast. No dany chapters is quite the treat, she really sucks in dance but kinda sucks all throughout. Jaime's sections are really good, I even liked Brienne that time around. Sansa had cool stuff too. Cersei loving up king's landing was funny even if it introduced a cast of redshirts.

Dance is much worse, with boring tyrion and tons of boring meereen stuff dominating the book. Theon stuff was cool but not cool enough to make up for it.

Same. Feast is actually my favorite after the second read. The fast earlier fast pace was great for suspense, but now that I've been spoiled I like the detail and the plot lines that come later.

That wanes with dance when you're finally ready for the action to pick up when you're left on the side of a stream making GBS threads yourself.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Wheel of Time is def still more bloated and lovely, followed by Malazan, soon to be followed by Rothfuss's 'epic' if he ever finishes all 6.

God what a mess.

GRRM looks good in comparison. Until, of course, Dance came out. The other books took me a month max to read inbetween having a life. Dance I read a chapter here or there and it took like 4. Ugh.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Rothfuss is hot garbage.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's me, I'm the other weirdo whose favourite book in the series is Feast.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I binge read them all for the first time about two years ago and then again this winter. So they all are blurred together for me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Woodpile posted:

Among genre authors, Martin is King Turd of poo poo Mountain for sure.

At least GRRM wrote a decent book or two in ASOIAF, Rothfuss has written literal self-insert garbage from the start and people fawn all over him and his desire to do anything other than write his next lovely book. Rothfuss also looks like he eats hobos and stores their remains in his basement.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

At least GRRM wrote a decent book or two in ASOIAF, Rothfuss has written literal self-insert garbage from the start and people fawn all over him and his desire to do anything other than write his next lovely book. Rothfuss also looks like he eats hobos and stores their remains in his basement.

Just saw what he looks like. What is his something awful dot com forums account name?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

esperterra posted:

It's me, I'm the other weirdo whose favourite book in the series is Feast.

I'm the one who loved Meereen and was surprised to come online and find that people didn't.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
He has finished Winds of Winter and is almost done with Dream of Spring and will publish them as the last HBO episode is showing. It is known.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ya if u read the last two books "waiting for the action to pick up" maybe reevaluate the entire series

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

SaviourX posted:

Realtalk, is anyone here even interested in reading the next book, much less buying it?

I'm sure all the plebs and lowbies and normies etc will, but truefans, probably not?

I will likely sell my signed first editions of the first three immediately after reading the one that will likely never be released.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

He has finished Winds of Winter and is almost done with Dream of Spring and will publish them as the last HBO episode is showing. It is known.

Is this code for it warming up in New Mexico and he is breaking wind due to some expired burritos?

Hypothetically, is he obligated to end the books that will never be written the same way that he did not actually give to HBO?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Honestly the problem with the Brienne chapters are more of an editing thing. If we didn't know where Sansa was then it probably would've dragged on less. But I'm in agreement about the Tyrion chapters gently caress those really needed an editor there's so much nothing happening at least with Dany she's learning how to run a country kinda.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

ADWD alone is like 150% as long as the entire LOTR trilogy, AFFC is about as long and both are in fact two parts of the same novel which misses at least 150 pages from the end to be called finished, that's roughly 2800 pages. There are probably some longer fantasy novels out there but not many.

And as for poorly edited, It's subjective but the very fact that this single novel had to be released in two parts just because no one could reign in on the gurm or the fact that he uses the phrase 'words are wind' roughly 60 times in the same novel kinda speaks for itself.

Also ADWD was planned to come out one year after AFFC and was only intended to cover those characters not present in AFFC.

SaviourX posted:

followed by Malazan

Lol, no.
Erikson finished a 10 book series in 10 years + side projects, where he managed to keep the story line in the 10 book series a lot tighter than GRRM has ever done.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think we all hated Feast because we didn't know how bad Dance was gonna be. I'd liken it to the battered housewife that thought the belt was bad until she ruined Thanksgiving dinner and had to deal with the bike chain. Or something less depressing. I don't know.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cardiac posted:

Also ADWD was planned to come out one year after AFFC and was only intended to cover those characters not present in AFFC.

Lol, no.
Erikson finished a 10 book series in 10 years + side projects, where he managed to keep the story line in the 10 book series a lot tighter than GRRM has ever done.

100% agree for whatever faults people may have I got to hand it to Erikson, his books were ambitious and he delivered

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

At least with Dany there was a sloppily written (probably intentional) breakdancing sex scene.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I don't think that Feast is all that awful, we do get to see Cersei's Continuous Mistake, after all.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mad Hamish posted:

I don't think that Feast is all that awful, we do get to see Cersei's Continuous Mistake, after all.

Cersei's divorce from reality is the only thing from AFFC/ADWD that's done better in the books than the show.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I can say with complete honesty that it's probably my favourite part of the entire series.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe this season they will finally drive that nail home in the show.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Mad Hamish posted:

I can say with complete honesty that it's probably my favourite part of the entire series.

Yeah, I liked FFC way more because of Cersei's chapters. DWD was a slog comparatively.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Cersei chapters are great. She goes into her head and thinks about how she is owning everyone and is always the smartest person in the room and everyone just exchanges glances like "really? you're not going to say anything? Really? We're really letting this happen? WHoo boy we're just letting her burn it all down, huh? cool cool cool" and she's like men are idiots burn the tower, give this nobody from nowhere all my boats, tell the iron bank to gently caress off, give swords to the goddamn church because I've never read a book, ever. I'm the fuckin' best.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Krinkle posted:

Cersei chapters are great. She goes into her head and thinks about how she is owning everyone and is always the smartest person in the room and everyone just exchanges glances like "really? you're not going to say anything? Really? We're really letting this happen? WHoo boy we're just letting her burn it all down, huh? cool cool cool" and she's like men are idiots burn the tower, give this nobody from nowhere all my boats, tell the iron bank to gently caress off, give swords to the goddamn church because I've never read a book, ever. I'm the fuckin' best.

I'm not sure they could've done it any better than what they did in the show without access to her internal monologue.

If the chapter where she blows up the sept was actually written it would've been amazing.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Besides the internal monologue, the book was able to have all these little subplots about schemes blowing up in her face. You can't have as many digressions in a TV show, so they just did the Sparrow storyline.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i stopped watching the show but im pretty sure they wouldnt be able to do my favourite part of the books which is the manderly/davos plot

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They didn't.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I will say that I'm incredibly disappointed that the show didn't have Fat Lord Manderley. I desperately wanted to see him serving Frey pies at Ramsay Bolton's wedding, dancing, singing the sing about the Rat Cook as he serves the special guests big steaming portions of nice juicy meat pies, while somehow nobody loving connects the dots, it would have been glorious.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Mad Hamish posted:

while somehow nobody loving connects the dots, it would have been glorious.

The actors or the viewers?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

SaviourX posted:

The actors or the viewers?

The guests at the wedding who see Fat Lord Manderley bring in three suspiciously large meat pies after it's noted that three Freys are missing, while he commands the musicians to play the song about the Rat Cook which is explicitly about cannibalism, but just don't make the connection.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Also the rat cook was explicitly about cooking men into pies, and the gods punishing someone for violating guest right, which the freys also did.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
its a super long feast and manderly is supposed to be fall down drunk at this point and its not like he travels a lot so people probably dont know his temperament

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm disappointed the show didn't have the yellow whale and his entourage.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

I wanted Penny to be there because I've secretly hoped the show would go downhill and end as infamously as Lost did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

TequilaJesus posted:

I wanted Penny to be there because I've secretly hoped the show would go downhill and end as infamously as Lost did.

It does but it seems like most people are kind of oblivious.

The show suffers from pretty much the exact opposite syndrome which Lost suffered from, that is there is a cohesive plot and the show advances it but the characters motivations have just become so arbitrarily plot driven that the show is pretty much a nonsensical self parody, but really, people don't notice cause the majority only watch for the tits & dragons.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 13, 2017