Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Old Swerdlow posted:

I usually just use little tiny bits of blue tac/sticky tack to keep the items in the hands stuck there.

You could probably get away with a dab of Plastallina, or one half of an epoxy putty compound (Green Stuff), too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Most plastilina is oil based, sometimes under heat it'll stain whatever surface it touches.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Neurolimal posted:

Do you do any top coating? Future can help a lot with protecting paintjobs and can be brushed on. If you dont care for the semi-gloss sheen Testors sells something called Dullcoat, which basically hardens into a clear grainy surface that mutes that sort of shine.

Yep, definitely sealed.

On the black/gold areas:

vallejo gloss black polyurethane primer
hand painted 4 layers of various colors to get the gold trim right
cleaned up the black areas again with more black gloss primer
coated with future slightly thinned with alcohol

Red:

vallejo grey polyurethane primer
vallejo air ferrari red + other reds
various pigments/lining/etc
testors dullcote matte to seal/finish

It looks great, but the movement of the arms and waist in particular are causing a lot of paint damage. Once I get it in a pose I like I will just leave it more than likely since I would like to stop having to touch it up every 5 minutes ><

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Do you do any top coating? Future can help a lot with protecting paintjobs and can be brushed on. If you dont care for the semi-gloss sheen Testors sells something called Dullcoat, which basically hardens into a clear grainy surface that mutes that sort of shine.

You can also add Tamiya flat base to future to get flat and semigloss coats, though my experience was that it takes a week or two to become durable.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Whats with the weird "gummy" stickers on the MG Sazabi? It caught me by surprised and I almost hosed up applying one last night.

Also I discovered that this will be my first kit with water slide decals. Should i apply those as I assemble the piece or can I wait and apply them when I finish a section (leg, torso, etc) like I normally do?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kuvo posted:

Whats with the weird "gummy" stickers on the MG Sazabi? It caught me by surprised and I almost hosed up applying one last night.

Also I discovered that this will be my first kit with water slide decals. Should i apply those as I assemble the piece or can I wait and apply them when I finish a section (leg, torso, etc) like I normally do?

The red stickers are optional - they're meant to add a third shade of red to Sazabi's color scheme. Nu Gundam ver. ka does the same thing.

As for the waterslides, stick to your normal plan.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Where the gently caress is BlitzBlast? I kind of miss the ornery son of a bitch.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Holy poo poo, he hasn't posted since mid/late January.

I'm scared, I hope he's okay :ohdear:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I am now attempting to paint every individual joint in my pg' strikes fingers and thumbs a silver color, to contrast with the metallic grey I've used.

pg's seem to make me want to do really dumb stuff.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I wonder if his backlog of Gundam X suits fell on him.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

He has to wait four months to post.
The same amount of months as THE NUMBER OF TURNS IT TAKES TO USE THE SATELLITE CANNON IN SUPER ROBOT WARS.

There, the ritual is complete, if he's still alive there's no way he won't be summoned back to be angry about that.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Garrod Ran is a poo poo-tier pilot who pilots poo poo-tier Gundams in a poo poo-tier anime.

Fight me BlitzBlast. :colbert:

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
I've never actually interacted with him but I hope he's OK :(

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My DM PG unicorn arrived today. Its pretty amazing from what I can tell. Is it just a 1/1 recast? It looks too good.

I have the bandai PG unicorn as well so I can compare them directly.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Fauxtool posted:

My DM PG unicorn arrived today. Its pretty amazing from what I can tell. Is it just a 1/1 recast? It looks too good.

I have the bandai PG unicorn as well so I can compare them directly.

I think it's supposed to have extra armor plating details.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Finally finished my first big weathering project with the Bandai ATST, which was a real pleasure to work on. It's got a lot of really nice little detail that looks awesome with a panel wash. For this I did a basic enamel wash with Model Masters Black and lighter fluid followed by a 1:3 Tamiya Flat Base and Future mix for a matte coat. Then Tamiya Weathering Master soot and rust put on with a sponge applicator as well as some pigment mixed with water brushed on. Finally some Vallejo Flat Brown to dabbed on with a brush for the mud on the feet. Finished off with a top coat of the 1:3 Flat Base/Future mix.

Any critique or advice going forward? This is my first attempt at doing weathering so I may have gone a bit overboard in spots but I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Also my first time doing any kind of diorama-type base which was fun to do.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pretty nice, a lot of rust appears where the water pools or runs down. I imagine there would be some heat damage or bluing on the "engine" area.

The paint on the top would probably be bleached from sun. The railings and other common handholds may have the paint worn off completely. It depends on the climate and level of wear you want to portray

Its a great looking model and it looks even better now. Needs more dead ewoks piled at its feet

One thing I have seen some pros do is to spray water on the model before painting to see where it pools and how it runs. Too late now obviously

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 14, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Garrod Ran is a poo poo-tier pilot who pilots poo poo-tier Gundams in a poo poo-tier anime.

Fight me BlitzBlast. :colbert:

It's okay, I got this one;

The Lightning Gundam is a boring and uninspired design compared to the Build Burning Gundam and Winning Gundam :nallears:.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Pretty sweet chickenwalker. There's room for improvement (the wash could look less wash-y) but it's a strong start regardless.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
Anyone living in the Ft Myers area know if anywhere that carries Gunpla? All I've found is B&N, but their stock was poo poo.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Gamestops are sticking gunpla now, if you have any nearby that might be an option.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
None of the ones near me do.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Kingtheninja posted:

Gamestops are sticking gunpla now, if you have any nearby that might be an option.

It's a really limited number of them, and I don't see much logic to where they end up - for example, none of the ones in Atlanta do, but if I drive 40 minutes out there's one.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 367 days!

Beelerzebub posted:

Anyone living in the Ft Myers area know if anywhere that carries Gunpla? All I've found is B&N, but their stock was poo poo.
Do you have a hobby town near you? That's (usually) a good starting point.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tenderjerk posted:

Do you have a hobby town near you? That's (usually) a good starting point.

Comic book stores too.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Bluefin also has a semi-accurate list of authorized dealers on their website.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Relationship status: "it's complicated"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Paint woes aside, that's pretty awesome dude. The matte shine works really well with the black gloss.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Thanks :) it's my favorite MS design and the MG has a really awesome presence. I'll eventually learn to love it as the scars on my psyche fade.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's okay, I got this one;

The Lightning Gundam is a boring and uninspired design compared to the Build Burning Gundam and Winning Gundam :nallears:.

Wait, someone argued against this?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's me, I'm the guy who likes the Lightning.

Also, BlitzBlast! The Gundam X is a worthless piece of poo poo that's a joke of a mobile suit! The Double X is a superior unit in all aspects!

...And right about now he should be hearing the newtype flash sound effect and knowing he has to come check the thread. Hopefully that'll work.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

PaintVagrant posted:

Oh wow, yeah, this looks amazing now that I'm not on my phone. Very nicely done!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I think some time ago this thread was expressing a need for a Woundwort kit. The third-party gods have listened. http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2015/12/aillis-mg-1100-rx-124-gundam-tr-6.html

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I only hope that it's not too expensive; I love the Advance of Zeta designs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MJP posted:

I think some time ago this thread was expressing a need for a Woundwort kit. The third-party gods have listened. http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2015/12/aillis-mg-1100-rx-124-gundam-tr-6.html

gently caress, I knew I sacrificed that goat to the wrong god. Now I gotta go through a full lunar cycle of satanic preparations and farm-robbery just to try again for one that will reward me with a Bandai release.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I saw that on SD this morning, I didn't realize it was the Aillis one. The last news we saw on that was like a year and a half ago now, I just assumed it went bunk.

:toot:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

PaintVagrant posted:

Real nice! Love the matte/gloss together.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I kinda want to see Mechanicore tackling some of the true displays of insanity in AoZ. Like every main gundam gets an insane dendrobium-esque final form.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

I kinda want to see Mechanicore tackling some of the true displays of insanity in AoZ. Like every main gundam gets an insane dendrobium-esque final form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusZXECS0mM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Welp I actually did paint the joints, it was as bad as I'd thought.

Last progress shot since I'm kinda confident I'll be done this thing by the weekend.

... and of course I snapped a piece in half after I tryingto take it off. I noticed some paint had chipped and wanted to repaint that part. This hobby sometimes.