Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Khablam posted:

On par with:
Screen quality

lol

Maybe if you let the Air drag down the average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I've been tasked with finding a refurb MacBook Pro for my girlfriend for work/grad school and I really don't know much about mac laptops at all. The specs I was given are simply has to be a 15" screen, and will be used for heavy MS Office/Law School research and needs to be able to run light Photoshop/Vectorworks (Vectorworks in an emergency, so not daily but just in case something goes very wrong at work) "without turning into a shiny brick". No gaming. How low can I go on the specs to keep costs down (ideally sub $1k but I don't know anything about macs) but still be able to work as intended? It seems like price on the refurbs is mostly tied to the CPU? Should I be looking at sites like macofalltrades for refurbs?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

No, refurbs you want to buy directly from Apple. Google 'refurb tracker' it will let you know when certain models are in stock. $1k is pushing it, though. Not sure Apple will sell one that cheap. A base 15 inch rMBP will be fine for that workload, more than fine really, it's a great machine, the cost in the 15 inch comes from adding a dGPU and lots of storage. Without a dGPU and minimal storage, it's still a very capable machine, but it's not a < $1k machine.

If you want to get a used Macbook you can find decent ones on eBay if you shop carefully (post the link in this thread I guess and we can help you judge) but since it's going to be for work/school I think it'd probably be better to get a refurb direct from Apple so you have the warranty.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

tuyop posted:

That is an extremely expensive 1-2TB external drive, though I covet those speeds for sure. What do you use it for?

$100 less than the Samsung T3, which isn't a mini-RAID array.. use it for VMs and deploying system upgrades, boots really fast on most modern Macs, also for quickly backing up machines with dying hard drives where time is essential..

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

No, refurbs you want to buy directly from Apple. Google 'refurb tracker' it will let you know when certain models are in stock. $1k is pushing it, though. Not sure Apple will sell one that cheap. A base 15 inch rMBP will be fine for that workload, more than fine really, it's a great machine, the cost in the 15 inch comes from adding a dGPU and lots of storage. Without a dGPU and minimal storage, it's still a very capable machine, but it's not a < $1k machine.

If you want to get a used Macbook you can find decent ones on eBay if you shop carefully (post the link in this thread I guess and we can help you judge) but since it's going to be for work/school I think it'd probably be better to get a refurb direct from Apple so you have the warranty.

This is all great to know. Would an Air be able to do these things as well, assuming I could find a 15" refurb on that as well? Good to know about the <$1k thing. I could go a bit higher if it's necessary, I was just ballparking given what we were looking at the other day.

Edit: I mean, going down to a 13" there is an Air refurb listed as
Originally released March 2015
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors
8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel HD Graphics 6000

Versus a 13" MBP refurb listed as
Originally released October 2016
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display; 2560-by-1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch
8GB of 1866MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
256GB PCIe-based onboard SSD
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel Iris Graphics 540

So what, better graphics card (and slightly better RAM speed/storage) but that should be of little/no importance given the work requirements, right?

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 16, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

$100 less than the Samsung T3, which isn't a mini-RAID array.. use it for VMs and deploying system upgrades, boots really fast on most modern Macs, also for quickly backing up machines with dying hard drives where time is essential..

Yeah, I use a T3 for the same. It was wicked fast on the low-end model of the 2016 rMBP. It's also plenty fast on my 2014 rMBP as well (albeit USB3.0 speeds instead of USB3.1).

I did have to move back to my 2014 rMBP, because apparently a quad-core i7 and 16 GB of memory is much better with VMs than a dual-core i5 with 8GB of memory. I mean, I knew there would be an impact, I just didn't think it would be as big as the one I got.

I should have purchased a 15", but I wanted to see if I could get away with a lower end and no touch-bar (I could not). I do totally love the keyboard and trackpad on the new ones, and the screen looks great. I'll probably gift the 13" to my niece and look for a refurb when they hit the stores.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Fhqwhgads posted:

This is all great to know. Would an Air be able to do these things as well, assuming I could find a 15" refurb on that as well? Good to know about the <$1k thing. I could go a bit higher if it's necessary, I was just ballparking given what we were looking at the other day.

No such thing as a 15" air. If she's dead set on a 15" screen it's going to have to be a MPB.

For what it's worth, if she's doing a lot of text editing the 15" screen is worth it. I used a 15" MBP all through grad school in history for just that reason. In my case I would frequently work with multiple documents at once, and 15" was just about the perfect size for getting two word docs or a .doc plus a .pdf side by side at a useful size.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

No such thing as a 15" air. If she's dead set on a 15" screen it's going to have to be a MPB.

For what it's worth, if she's doing a lot of text editing the 15" screen is worth it. I used a 15" MBP all through grad school in history for just that reason. In my case I would frequently work with multiple documents at once, and 15" was just about the perfect size for getting two word docs or a .doc plus a .pdf side by side at a useful size.

(Didn't realize 15" Airs did not exist) I edited my post to note the 13" refurbs (there are no 15" refurbs on Apple's site right now) but this is really helpful actually. (I'm also not a laptop person at all, never had one, always desktops so I don't think of these things). Yes, there will be a LOT of text editing going on.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Fhqwhgads posted:

(Didn't realize 15" Airs did not exist) I edited my post to note the 13" refurbs (there are no 15" refurbs on Apple's site right now) but this is really helpful actually. (I'm also not a laptop person at all, never had one, always desktops so I don't think of these things). Yes, there will be a LOT of text editing going on.

YEah, 15" all the way then. You CAN text edit on a 13" screen, but personally it drives me nuts. Those extra two inches are a pretty big quality of life boost ( :quagmire: ).

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/03/13/apple-inc-building-graphics-chip-team-in-the-uk.aspx

It's not unreasonable to think that this, combined with Tim's Pro comments, might give us some dividends in the Mac desktop/laptop arena someday?

The only "dividends" I could see based on that article would be Apple putting their own processors and graphics cards in laptops and basically turning them into iPad Pros with permanently attached keyboards. I just don't see a comment like "the pro area is very important to us" actually having any meaning behind it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There's been talk of Apple using their own processors in MBPs for years now and it just never happens

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Fhqwhgads posted:

Edit: I mean, going down to a 13" there is an Air refurb listed as
Originally released March 2015
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors
8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel HD Graphics 6000

Versus a 13" MBP refurb listed as
Originally released October 2016
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display; 2560-by-1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch
8GB of 1866MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
256GB PCIe-based onboard SSD
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel Iris Graphics 540

So what, better graphics card (and slightly better RAM speed/storage) but that should be of little/no importance given the work requirements, right?

If there's going to be a lot of time spent staring at the screen. the rMBP is much, much easier on the eyes than the Air's screen.
Less strain = ability to spend more time staring = slightly better productivity?

rMBP will be better for Vectorworks; see if you can get a 512 GB SSD, 256 GB might be a little tight if you're editing a lot of poo poo. Remember that Photoshop always opens a VM file 3X the size of your original documents.

MacBook Air will have longer battery life at cost of speed; both 13-inch rMBP and Air are equal in weight (3.02 lbs vs. 2.96 lbs)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you're primarily using the machine for document editing and Photoshop, 100% buy a 15"
Pay the extra price, they'll last you for years and you won't regret buying the smaller model to save a few hundred dollars

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There's been talk of Apple using their own processors in MBPs for years now and it just never happens

Does the touch bar & Touch ID module count? ;)

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

FCKGW posted:

I get ads for OneDrive in explorer now and cannot defer updates and Windows will forcefully reboot my machine if it's idle for any period of time.
It loving sucks.

Both of those are very easily fixed.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

If you're primarily using the machine for document editing and Photoshop, 100% buy a 15"
Pay the extra price, they'll last you for years and you won't regret buying the smaller model to save a few hundred dollars

This is the direction we're going in, especially the idea of paying a bit more for something that will last. Her current laptop is going on 7 years old and still does what she needs it to do.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Prescription Combs posted:

Both of those are very easily fixed.

Maybe don't put ads in the first place and Microsoft helpfully removed deferred updates in the creators update so you can't fix that one.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Windows is just so odd sometimes. It gets the major things right, but the little stuff - like activation are hosed up. I was unable to activate my last two legally purchased copies of Windows. The first time Microsoft just threw up their hands and said, "oh well" forcing me to pirate a key to get full functionality. The second time they at least gave me another serial that did work. But there shouldn't have been a first time.

I haven't seen ads yet in Windows 10. I think they gave me a higher trim version of 10. Maybe it's just the basic edition folks who get intrusive advertising.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

I am enjoying my new refurb 13 inch MBPNTB. The lack of ports hasn't annoyed me yet.

The keyboard was absolutely horrible for about 15 minutes and then it suddenly became wonderful. It's surprisingly loud, but types beautifully.

Battery life was terrible for the first two days and then suddenly doubled.

With the exception of the fact that I have a lot of encrypted USB storage at work, I absolutely love my 13 MBPTB. Got it kitted out with 16GB RAM and a fat SSD and now I hate my 2013 rMBP at home. Really starting to wish I could justify upgrading it.

I thought I would hate the keyboard but I love it. I thought I would hate the touchbar (I use vi all the time) but I love it. I thought I'd hate battery life but it's great. I thought I'd miss my full size USB ports but.. oh.. well, still mostly a hit!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So I stopped by the Fruit Stand and wow I really like the current iMac models. Those screens are incredible. How well do they run with the scaling turned off? (so resolution pushed to max) Running a bunch of stuff side by side would be pretty great I think.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Arivia posted:

So I stopped by the Fruit Stand and wow I really like the current iMac models. Those screens are incredible. How well do they run with the scaling turned off? (so resolution pushed to max) Running a bunch of stuff side by side would be pretty great I think.

Scaling doesn't mean it's running at a lower resolution. Text still renders at the native res, at least for compliant apps. It just means 10 pixels are 20 physical pixels or what have you. With scaling off you won't be able to see anything because for example 12 point font will be 12 literal pixels tall and that's loving tiny on a 5k 27 inch panel.

Don't try running games at the native res tho.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
What is the most likely cause of frequent kernel panics in a 2013 rMBP 15"? The log files do not indicate any consistent pattern to which application causes the panic so I'm guessing bad RAM... Anyone had experience like this and how much did it cost to fix at the fruit stand?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Smashing Link posted:

What is the most likely cause of frequent kernel panics in a 2013 rMBP 15"? The log files do not indicate any consistent pattern to which application causes the panic so I'm guessing bad RAM... Anyone had experience like this and how much did it cost to fix at the fruit stand?

Bad ram or video - it'll be a motherboard replacement either way

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I'm thinking about fixing up a 2010 MacBook (A1342) I've got lying around. Any recommendations for a battery?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anker or Nupower

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Arivia posted:

Just in case you're not aware, the iMacs haven't been updated in almost a year and a half. If you can wait, you'll be able to get a much better machine when Apple (hopefully) updates them (though I wouldn't be surprised if any new iMacs also lose all their ports).

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have to imagine that the Buyer's Guide is going to show all but one Mac model as "DON'T BUY" at any given time until Apple shuts down for good.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

fleshweasel posted:

I have to imagine that the Buyer's Guide is going to show all but one Mac model as "DON'T BUY" at any given time until Apple shuts down for good.

RIP Fruit Company. Thought of actually creating good hardware and died.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fleshweasel posted:

Eventually Apple will drag the average up so far that it encompasses multiple models.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Smashing Link posted:

Could also be a lovely kernel extension driver for something. Logitech's causes a MBP of to hang a bunch.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TACD posted:

Just in case you're not aware, the iMacs haven't been updated in almost a year and a half. If you can wait, you'll be able to get a much better machine when Apple (hopefully) updates them (though I wouldn't be surprised if any new iMacs also lose all their ports).

Yep, I'm waiting until the refresh. I just went to the Fruit Stand because I'm not very familiar with the iMac form factor - though a couple minutes spent definitely sold me on getting one when it comes out.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Arivia posted:

Yep, I'm waiting until the refresh. I just went to the Fruit Stand because I'm not very familiar with the iMac form factor - though a couple minutes spent definitely sold me on getting one when it comes out.

At this point I'd wait as well, but this fall when I was looking to get a new machine I had to grab one. I did, and it's literally the best computer I've ever opened. I can't recommend one enough, especially for photo editing and any text heavy use. (I'm a publisher).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The haptic engine in the new touchpad is really incredible except it sounds like a touchpad that's worn out and is about to fail.

Which is remarkable since nothing is actually moving, but if my old MBP sounded like this I'd be concerned. I wish we had a more satisfying click.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
lol if you ever actually have to physically click stuff with an mbp touchpad

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tap to click for life

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Tap to click for life

:yeah:

my best tip for everyone with an apple touchpad: go to accessibility -> mouse & trackpad -> trackpad options -> enable dragging with three fingers

Bulgogi Hoagie fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 19, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

lol if you ever actually have to physically click stuff with an mbp touchpad

When I went to the Fruit Stand every trackpad had tap to click turned off. It was horrifying.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
It's off by default, I think.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Biodome posted:

It's off by default, I think.

It is, and thank god for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
seriously tho the tap to click + double click with two fingers + three finger drag makes using the trackpad incredibly fast and i now prefer it to a mouse