Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr. Squishy posted:

Out of interest can anyone think of an adaptation where reading the book is preferable?

The Running Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Time Machine.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
The Story of Your Life

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

The Great Gatsby

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I am Legend.
I, Robot.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Squishy posted:

Out of interest can anyone think of an adaptation where reading the book is preferable?

Stalker

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Books are inherently inferior to movies, the best medium.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The 21st Century Boys movies aren't as good as the comic

edit: check out this lovely poster. "look, our movie has people and things"

This one's not bad

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 19, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

EmptyVessel posted:

That's a nice burn by Keith, but that photo isn't Mick.

Maybe but it´s still cock and Rolling Stones related so it was relevant to bring up Jagger's allegedly minute dick.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Great Expectations comes to mind.

As does Battlefield Earth

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Isn't it a very common opinion that "the book was better?"
The only movie i can think of where i thought it was better then the book was fight club, and even there it's close.

E: i may be missing a joke here.

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 20, 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Attitude Indicator posted:

The only movie i can think of where i thought it was better then the book was fight club, and even there it's close.

E: i may be missing a joke here.

Jaws and The Godfather are way better than their books.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Jurassic Park is a pretty lousy book.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LesterGroans posted:

Die Hard and Dr. Strangelove too

Blindness, that's a case where the book was way better

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If the film is way better, the book usually just ends up being forgotten. How many people know that Die Hard is based on a novel?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Samuel Clemens posted:

If the film is way better, the book usually just ends up being forgotten. How many people know that Die Hard is based on a novel?

Yeah a giant pile of classic films are based on totally forgotten western, hard boiled, and comedic novels that no one has read in a generation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The Fast and the Furious was originally based on a magazine article (well that and Point Break).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

From what I've heard, Who Censored Roger Rabbit is just utter garbage.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Waffleman_ posted:

From what I've heard, Who Censored Roger Rabbit is just utter garbage.

Literally every other line is a tortured pun, metaphor or analogy. I used to have notes on it, some of them were pretty ridiculous. If I'd read it when I was 11 it would have been the funniest thing ever, like Weird Al or something.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Weird Al is funny no matter what age you are though

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Get Shorty is exactly as good as the novel it's based on, which doesn't happen very often

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, don't use the author of fuckin' "Everything You Know Is Wrong" as the basis for your derision, motherfucker, I'll fight you.

(I won't really fight you.)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Codependent Poster posted:

I just think 11 is the perfect age to be a Weird Al superfan.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I've never read any of his stories but some of Phillip K. Dick's adaptations would probably make it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Forrest Gump too. The book is much more of a slapstick comedy. In the book, Forrest is more of an idiot savante with an extremely dirty mouth, and he and Jenny gently caress all the time.

He also: becomes a professional wrestler in Mexico, is in a rock band with Jenny, is an astronaut for NASA, crash lands his space ship in Papua New Guinea and lives with a tribe of cannibals, his best friend is an orangutan, the chief of the tribe teaches him to play chess and he goes on to become a master chess champion, and he runs a shrimp farm, not boat.

The sequel involves him running a pig farm where he uses manure to fuel a power plant, fixes the New Coke recipe to something that people actually like but can't remember what he did, stars in a movie with Raquel Welch, and accidentally captures Saddam Hussein in The Gulf War, but lets him go.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nihonniboku posted:

Forrest Gump too. The book is much more of a slapstick comedy. In the book, Forrest is more of an idiot savante with an extremely dirty mouth, and he and Jenny gently caress all the time.

He also: becomes a professional wrestler in Mexico, is in a rock band with Jenny, is an astronaut for NASA, crash lands his space ship in Papua New Guinea and lives with a tribe of cannibals, his best friend is an orangutan, the chief of the tribe teaches him to play chess and he goes on to become a master chess champion, and he runs a shrimp farm, not boat.

The sequel involves him running a pig farm where he uses manure to fuel a power plant, fixes the New Coke recipe to something that people actually like but can't remember what he did, stars in a movie with Raquel Welch, and accidentally captures Saddam Hussein in The Gulf War, but lets him go.

Are you adding that to the "movie better" pile or the "book better" pile?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

The Jurassic Park film is far, far better than the book. But. The book isn't bad. It's trash, but it's fantastic trash. No other book has combined engaging pop science with action like that before or since. Or, really, pop science and anything else. I totally get it if that's not your thing, but I love JP for that, and even though The Lost World is a pretty objectively bad book, the pop science stuff really is entertaining.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I loved the book version of Under the Skin but the movie is so different that they aren't really comparable, so I liked that one a lot too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I still think Minority Report is pretty good.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

well hopefully RP1 is gonna be leagues better than MY EIGHTIES VIDEO GAME WISH FULFILLMENT the book

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

well hopefully RP1 is gonna be leagues better than MY EIGHTIES VIDEO GAME WISH FULFILLMENT the book

They're making a movie out of Ready Player One?!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Waffleman_ posted:

They're making a movie out of Ready Player One?!

Not only that, Spielberg is directing it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

In addition, he omitted all references to his own works from the movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Wh-What.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

I'm sorry you didn't appreciate The Godfather's chapters of rich subplot on a woman's mission to tighten her vagina

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Cacator posted:

I loved the book version of Under the Skin but the movie is so different that they aren't really comparable, so I liked that one a lot too.
It really reminded me of Drive in that regard. Drive most definitely falls into the better-than-the-book category, though the book does have it's own merit.

Oh you know what else does? A History of Violence. The comic book is the biggest piece of poo poo I've ever read and I'm genuinely shocked Chronenberg pulled that movie out of that source material.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy... way better book

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Has anyone read Rocky? How's that line up?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rocky was an original story by Stallone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Attitude Indicator posted:

As the only person yet living who has read The Warriors, add that to the list as well.