Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's in the final battle(s) of the final arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So Jump Gold managa is pretty cliche.

He's amazing at golf! He's a total beginner tho! HOW SO GOOD!?

Oh he's scottish...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like the protagonist's talent in that golf manga is too big. It's okay to have a protagonist have a special talent, but it's shouldn't be so special that they're achieving stuff beyond the top ranked guys during literally their first attempt at the sport.

The guy in Baby Steps is a good example of a sports manga protagonist having a special talent that doesn't also give him a huge advantage over his opponents (who also have their own special talents).

edit: The Haikyuu guy is also a good example; he has a strong talent, but it isn't completely ridiculous and it's also off-set by a number of weaknesses (that he can gradually overcome over the course of the series).

In this golf manga, on the other hand, there isn't a whole lot that comes to mind that the protagonist can improve on other than possibly endurance or strength (though it seemed to imply that he was already capable of hitting the ball further than normal). The guy already seems to be hyper-accurate at all ranges.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 20, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it reminds me of this one lovely soccer manga, where in the first chapter the mc won a match alone against the entire school. it got cancelled pretty fast.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like the protagonist's talent in that golf manga is too big. It's okay to have a protagonist have a special talent, but it's shouldn't be so special that they're achieving stuff beyond the top ranked guys during literally their first attempt at the sport.

The guy in Baby Steps is a good example of a sports manga protagonist having a special talent that doesn't also give him a huge advantage over his opponents (who also have their own special talents).

I feel exactly zero tension or interest in Golf-bot.

Like you said, he's basically starting the series at super sayain.

Would have been better as a gag manga where the protag's friend keeps getting him into situations like getting a hole in one or scoring against the soccer club's ace goalie and he wins in increasing unorthodox and absurd ways. Because he's a robot nerd or whatever.

One Punch Man meets Sports Manga meets The chapter in Eyeshield 21 where all the sports clubs find out who Sena is and want him to join.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I mean Sena started ES21 able to do the lightspeed dash but it still managed to provide interesting challenges for him and he grew meaningfully as a player over the course of the manga

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Crain posted:

So Jump Gold managa is pretty cliche.

He's amazing at golf! He's a total beginner tho! HOW SO GOOD!?

Oh he's scottish...

It is said that scots are champs
Or is it champs are scots?
Nevertheless, the strength found in scots is still a scientific mystery today.
If you wear this kilt,
Your drive will become longer!!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Eyeshield 21 spoiled me on pretty much all other sports comics. :(

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing that bugged me about most of ES21 was how weak Sena was made out to be. Even if he was a 100-120 pounds tops with a 4.2 40 he should be able to knock people twice his body weight cross-eyed as far as tackling goes.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Baby Steps will forever be my favorite sports manga because of how it handled the protagonist's growth. He started with a rather useful skill, but not even an unrealistic one - he's just good at seeing things in motion. In addition, he doesn't have experience or height, both of which matter a hell of a lot more in tennis. This helps him very slightly, but then he decides to practice his playstyle around the few skills he does have to compensate for everything else, in addition to working very hard.

It also really helps that Baby Steps has the protagonist grow by analyzing the opponent's game in fairly realistic ways and explain his reasoning very well, so when his analysis gets him points it feels like "Yeah, fair, he earned that one." And the realism/hard work are good portrayed well enough that when he occasionally just wins through sheer luck, I don't even feel like it's bullshit. Lucky poo poo happens in sports all the time. Plus the manga also makes luck work against him a number of times, so it never feels like the world is cheating to make him win.

But yeah, I agree that the Golf guy was a little too good. I don't know, I tend to be slightly annoyed at sports mangas where a character doesn't "earn" his skill-level because of some absurd talent. To me the fun in sports stories comes from the characters working hard to learn from their mistakes and get to where they want to be. So I don't really like when sports mangas treat getting better at the sport just like going Super Saiyan by yelling a lot. I mean it could be just me, but personally I think the most interesting thing about sports stories is that even when someone wants to win really badly it doesn't mean that they can compensate for their lack of skills. And when mangas break that rule, they become Prince of Tennis.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like the training, characters and relationships in baby steps, but those ridiculous 30 chapter tennis matches just put me to sleep. i think it would go from being pretty good to amazing if that tennis manga had less tennis. of course, that's just my own prejudice in play.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

I mean Sena started ES21 able to do the lightspeed dash but it still managed to provide interesting challenges for him and he grew meaningfully as a player over the course of the manga

Eh, I hear ya. But it's not entirely similar to me. If it were just "Oh wow he can hit it super far" or a single aspect it would be closer to Sena's situation because at the start Sena was just raw speed. Robo dude is pulling off a supposedly complex shot and able to adjust where the ball goes.

Which is just all golf is.

Also it's an individual event unlike football. Sena had to learn not just football but how to play with others.

Maybe it's a difference in familiarity with the sports but I just cannot think of where the writer could go with this.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I also can't tell since Japan is pretty behind on this sort of stuff if Robo is just meant to have a goofy character affect or if the author is trying to portray him as legit OCD or on the autism spectrum.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I also can't tell since Japan is pretty behind on this sort of stuff if Robo is just meant to have a goofy character affect or if the author is trying to portray him as legit OCD or on the autism spectrum.

Nah. The bit where he was like "I'm upset that you're upset" when taking on the bullies challenge makes me think this is run of the mill super student with super aptitude.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Crain posted:

Eh, I hear ya. But it's not entirely similar to me. If it were just "Oh wow he can hit it super far" or a single aspect it would be closer to Sena's situation because at the start Sena was just raw speed. Robo dude is pulling off a supposedly complex shot and able to adjust where the ball goes.

Which is just all golf is.

Also it's an individual event unlike football. Sena had to learn not just football but how to play with others.

Maybe it's a difference in familiarity with the sports but I just cannot think of where the writer could go with this.

He's hitting a straight shot. Hitting a straight shot really well, but still just a straight shot off of a tee in a driving range.

Golf is about conflict with a course.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

There should be a benkei character that collects the clubs of beaten golfers.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm guessing the MC will find challenges in real course conditions; wind, course layout, club selection, putting, etc.

The thing is if the MC has an amazing short game he pretty much has like 80% of what he needs to do extremely well. A player with an exceptional short game can compete with someone who can drive 350+ yards.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Dexo posted:

He's hitting a straight shot. Hitting a straight shot really well, but still just a straight shot off of a tee in a driving range.

Golf is about conflict with a course.

I suppose. But they're wording it in a way that reads "he can just easily make the ball do what he wants it to do. Right now he wants it to go straight, which is secretly the hardest thing to do. And also with the most difficult club to use(?)". So there's really no reason why making it curve or accounting for wind should pose a problem.

I think the issue I have is the individual nature of the event. Sure you have "conflict with the course" but you don't play golf blind.

Although at least once the author could pull a "OH NO THEY HAD TO SWITCH THE COURSE AT THE LAST MINUTE" story.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Crain posted:

I suppose. But they're wording it in a way that reads "he can just easily make the ball do what he wants it to do. Right now he wants it to go straight, which is secretly the hardest thing to do. And also with the most difficult club to use(?)". So there's really no reason why making it curve or accounting for wind should pose a problem.

I think the issue I have is the individual nature of the event. Sure you have "conflict with the course" but you don't play golf blind.

Although at least once the author could pull a "OH NO THEY HAD TO SWITCH THE COURSE AT THE LAST MINUTE" story.

Keep in mind he also only hit a "perfect shot" after like 7 or 8 attempts.

The sound off his club was good but he didn't hit his target like he wanted to after a couple of attempts in a controlled environment.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Dexo posted:

Keep in mind he also only hit a "perfect shot" after like 7 or 8 attempts.

The sound off his club was good but he didn't hit his target like he wanted to after a couple of attempts in a controlled environment.

"Didn't hit his shot" was still less than a few feet from the hole. He was aiming for a 10/10 and kept hitting 9/10s. Then hit the 10/10 in 7 shots.

It's not like he's just Happy Gilmoring it.

Crain fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 21, 2017

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Happy Gilmore would be a good manga.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hopeford posted:

But yeah, I agree that the Golf guy was a little too good. I don't know, I tend to be slightly annoyed at sports mangas where a character doesn't "earn" his skill-level because of some absurd talent.

Maybe this WSJ sports manga is attempting to capitalize upon all the recent Web Novels with protagonists who are just absurdly powerful prodigies who never encounter any real challenges and easily defeat everyone they encounter.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
To be fair, prince of tennis started with a prodigy. I wasn't a fan of prince of tennis, but it was a pretty popular series for a while.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Allarion posted:

To be fair, prince of tennis started with a prodigy. I wasn't a fan of prince of tennis, but it was a pretty popular series for a while.

Everyone in Prince of Tennis is absurdly good though. Echizen being a prodigy just means he can make the team as a first year, really. For most of the series run, the strongest possible singles line-up they could have was Tezuka, Fuji and then Echizen somewhere far behind the two others. It's only like, in the final few matches Echizen plays in PoT that he gets enough bullshit powers to be the best player at Seigaku.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Eh. Ryoma was right there with Fuji for most of the series. Fuji had better and more impactful matches because his counters were cool as gently caress. But Ryoma and Fuji were playing at around Sanada(Pre-Rai) levels for most of the Nationals.

And by the endgame of the series Ryoma is almost assuredly Tezuka/Yukimura level.

But yeah a healthy Tezuka is probably the best tennis player in the series until you get to the U-17.

Man I loving loved how dumb Prince of Tennis got.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dexo posted:

Eh. Ryoma was right there with Fuji for most of the series. Fuji had better and more impactful matches because his counters were cool as gently caress. But Ryoma and Fuji were playing at around Sanada(Pre-Rai) levels for most of the Nationals.

And by the endgame of the series Ryoma is almost assuredly Tezuka/Yukimura level.

But yeah a healthy Tezuka is probably the best tennis player in the series until you get to the U-17.

Man I loving loved how dumb Prince of Tennis got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oNoX5ozDtU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I mean that's just the movie but if you wanna include movies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ali4TQq_X6U

This is the real manga poo poo tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USuLFIfo_Ug

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In Prince of Tennis do they actually use super powers or are there just fancy visual representations of what they're doing?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ytlaya posted:

In Prince of Tennis do they actually use super powers or are there just fancy visual representations of what they're doing?
I'm pretty sure it's just representations of what they're doing, but in New Prince of Tennis people actually blast other players through fences by hitting them with the ball.

And this is okay apparently

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
without magical powers how would they deal with the many roving bands of tennis hooligans?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's in french, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS9Xokt8WHo

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Pierson posted:

Eyeshield 21 spoiled me on pretty much all other sports comics. :(

Same. It has its problems, but it was incredibly enjoyable and probably the only sports manga, hell one of the very few manga in general, that I reread constantly.

Haikyuu and Yowapeda have been the big super popular sports series in the past few years with huge fanbases, but somehow I never got into reading them despite it being more than likely that I'd end up being okay with them.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Haikyuu is really drat good. Watch the anime for really good music too.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Compendium posted:

Same. It has its problems, but it was incredibly enjoyable and probably the only sports manga, hell one of the very few manga in general, that I reread constantly.

Haikyuu and Yowapeda have been the big super popular sports series in the past few years with huge fanbases, but somehow I never got into reading them despite it being more than likely that I'd end up being okay with them.
The only real problems with Eyeshield 21 was the typical Japanese stereotype racism thing that seems to permeate any sports manga with foreigners in it, and the last completely unnecessary arc that was written after the main writer left.

Other than that it was pretty drat good beginning to end. I feel it actually kinda undersold a lot of the Japanese players in the end. Hiruma and the QB from the White Knights would be fine in American college football and probably the NFL.

Like, Hiruma is literally Payton Manning but he can sorta run and his neck isn't broken.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Fabricated posted:

The only real problems with Eyeshield 21 was the typical Japanese stereotype racism thing that seems to permeate any sports manga with foreigners in it, and the last completely unnecessary arc that was written after the main writer left.

Other than that it was pretty drat good beginning to end. I feel it actually kinda undersold a lot of the Japanese players in the end. Hiruma and the QB from the White Knights would be fine in American college football and probably the NFL.

Like, Hiruma is literally Payton Manning but he can sorta run and his neck isn't broken.

Hell. Sena would probably be scouted for the olympics with his speed and running style. Sure a 40 yard dash is way different from a 100 meter sprint. But that's just a ma of training.

Side note: my autocorrect keeps trying to make Sena into Sean and I realized that's probably what a 4kids translation would have made him. Sean. Sean ... kowalski. Yeah.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Crain posted:

Hell. Sena would probably be scouted for the olympics with his speed and running style. Sure a 40 yard dash is way different from a 100 meter sprint. But that's just a ma of training.

Side note: my autocorrect keeps trying to make Sena into Sean and I realized that's probably what a 4kids translation would have made him. Sean. Sean ... kowalski. Yeah.

Rookies (the actual best sports manga ever) did the same thing with Sekikawa, the team's best runner, practicing with the track club to improve his run times.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Crain posted:

a 4.2 40 puts Sena in territory where college scouts would be having knife fights over him if he was in an American high school- even if he was small as hell. Like if they got anything right, it's that a 4.1-4.2 40 is about as goddamn fast as you can get.

When their sprints are measured for the 40 yard dash, Olympians are marked in the 4.1-4.2 range.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Fabricated posted:

a 4.2 40 puts Sena in territory where college scouts would be having knife fights over him if he was in an American high school- even if he was small as hell. Like if they got anything right, it's that a 4.1-4.2 40 is about as goddamn fast as you can get.

When their sprints are measured for the 40 yard dash, Olympians are marked in the 4.1-4.2 range.

Funnily enough I did a quick google before posting that because I wasn't sure what the actual comparison would be between Olympic sprinters in a 100 meter sprint vs 40 yard dash, and it turns out that the sprinters are typically slower in the 40 according to the various articles. The catch is: They're used to a much longer acceleration period. So if you measure their time from start to 40 it's slower. Like Usain Bolt is technically at 4.3-4.4 in the 40.

But that's just people either trying to measure a 100 meter race's first 40 yards or trying to make an educated guess by like condensing the race down to 40 yards and trying to make a comparison.

I don't know if olympic sprinters have any official 40 yard times.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

gently caress Sena. Scouts boosters and everyone would be doing whatever it took to get Shin and Gaou

Shin is a goddamn linebacker who can run a loving 4.2

Shin, Gaou, Agon and Yamato are probably the top prospects out of Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Dexo posted:

gently caress Sena. Scouts boosters and everyone would be doing whatever it took to get Shin and Gaou

Shin is a goddamn linebacker who can run a loving 4.2

Shin, Gaou, Agon and Yamato are probably the top prospects out of Japan

And let's not forget to step out of Japan and remember Mr. "No seriously this is a loving 8ft20", 400ton, 4 second 40 18 year old" Don.

That image of Don in the limo with two models drinking Cognac is my favorite. Of any other image/line in Eyeshield 21 that one cemented how little either the author or artist knew about American high schools.