Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Gotta get the fail-spin narratives in place early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Dr. Faustus posted:

This happened at work on Friday:

I go to the restroom and older conservative fundy walks in behind me. He begins, "Hey, Faustus, as the token liberal what do you think of Hillary's latest video?"

I have no idea what he's referring to. My first thought is the picture of leather abuela so I ask if she was wearing a leather jacket. He says, no, she's wearing a blue pantsuit and then likens her to Kim Jong Un. Ok, that was funny.
I asked if it was something she put out herself. He says, "Well, her face was on it." I still have no idea what he's talking about.

He tells me she was giving a speech on how to resist Trump.

Now, I'm in work mode and not thinking about politics. I have no idea what he's talking about except I know there's a lot of discussion about resistance on the left about Trump in particular so ok, whatever. All I can think to say is "Well I don't see any reason to be concerned about that."

His response left me thinking about the exchange all night. It was this:

"If you ask me, it's treason."

Yes. Constitutionally protected speech is treason because it's about "resisting Trump." This was wide-eyed, earnest and sincere condemnation with no irony. Trump is under investigation for collusion with a foreign adversary, an investigation that, according to the ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee, is past circumstantial evidence. Mike Flynn has requested immunity to testify. Experts say this means the investigation goes above National Security Advisor.

But Hillary giving a political speech is actual treason, and this guy is 100% comfortable saying it to me when the guy he voted for is in this position.

This *has* to be RWM in action, because otherwise why would this dude use the T word under the current news cycle?

I was too shocked to say anything and decided not to engage. I left it there with "Hillary's speech is treason."

Right wingers would love to criminalize left wing speech. See how angry they get when left wing students protest against fascist speakers on campus.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Doesn't treason require the country to be in a (declared) war?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

WrenP-Complete posted:

"Traitor" means "literally everybody who disagrees with me in any way."

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BarbarianElephant posted:

Right wingers would love to criminalize left wing speech. See how angry they get when left wing students protest against fascist speakers on campus.

Or how they eagerly want to round up anybody who destroyed property during a political protest (sorry, "riot"), but are perfectly fine with sports fans trashing their own city whenever. Of course, nobody on the right wing would ever cause property damage :jerkbag:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

WrenP-Complete posted:

quote:

The betrayal of one's own country by waging war against it or by consciously or purposely acting to aid its enemies.
It gets into thoughtcrime a bit.
A citizen speaking against the sitting administration is as American as apple pie. I wanted to say that to the guy when he called Clinton a traitor for speaking against Trump. Even he has to remember the uproar over Limbaugh and Bobby Jindal saying they were rooting for Obama to fail. People called that treason, back then. I guess the rationale is that by speaking against the POTUS one is "acting to aid" America's enemies.

What loving kills me is seeing this kind of protected speech as actual treason and NOT seeing collusion with a foreign adversarial power like Russia as far worse. I have to assume RWM is behind this guy's myopia as the press has been reporting something new every loving day about TrumpRussia but he acts like it's not happening at all.
This guy is old enough to remember Nixon, and the Saturday Night Massacre, the Watergate investigation and everything around it (which was before my time).
He has expressed disgust at Democrats for possibly obstructing Gorsuch's appointment. I asked him why he didn't condemn the GOP for obstructing Garland's appointment and his response was that dems were worse for obstructing Bork's appointment (the same guy who did Nixon's dirty work after the Saturday Night Massacre) and when I reminded him that Bork, unlike Garland, actually got a hearing he deflected that it was just so unfair what dems did.

Lookit, I'm not incredulous that one particular guy can be so loving obtuse. What scares the gently caress out of me is that some terrifying % of the population is right there with him.

I'm PRETTY sure that RWM is to blame, but now I have to add that Russia is as effective or more. They propped up both Trump AND Sanders. They're behind Calexit. They're winning because they are exploiting the fissures that RWM and the propagation of lies for corporate greed have wrought.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Yes, this is a symptom of living in a post-9/11 world. The RWM in the Bush days was all about equating speech against the president with treason, and now that a Republican is back in office that idea has returned, with no sense of irony that they themselves violated it constantly during the Obama administration.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They were respectful and reasonable. :confused:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm PRETTY sure that RWM is to blame, but now I have to add that Russia is as effective or more. They propped up both Trump AND Sanders.

aw man don't fall for that correct the record bullshit

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Well I only base that on the news that one of the most prominent pro-Sanders websites is based out of eastern Europe.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound dismissive. It's generally accepted that pro-Sanders trolls were definitely a huge part of Russia's influence campaign. It's not controversial to assert.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 3, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Lol if you think Russia "stole" the election.

I have some beachfront property in Omaha to sell you.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Dr. Faustus posted:

He has expressed disgust at Democrats for possibly obstructing Gorsuch's appointment. I asked him why he didn't condemn the GOP for obstructing Garland's appointment and his response was that dems were worse for obstructing Bork's appointment (the same guy who did Nixon's dirty work after the Saturday Night Massacre) and when I reminded him that Bork, unlike Garland, actually got a hearing he deflected that it was just so unfair what dems did.

Thank you. Bork was a craven toady. The worst kind of person. Anyone not expressing outrage at proposing him to the Supreme Court is morally stunted.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Phone posted:

Lol if you think Russia "stole" the election.

I have some beachfront property in Omaha to sell you.

I think that they spread fake news online plus Wikileaks but I'm sure there were plenty of Fox News uncles and alt-right shitheads doing it already so we can't really know the total impact of the Russian troll campaign.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

Of course, nobody on the right wing would ever cause property damage :jerkbag:

Nor incite violence.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

i am harry posted:

Nor incite violence.

Hey man it isn't inciting violence if you're defending yourself.

Now let me tell you about how literally every Muslim or person who vaguely resembles a Muslim is a terrorist that wants to destroy America.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Dr. Faustus posted:

Well I only base that on the news that one of the most prominent pro-Sanders websites is based out of eastern Europe.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound dismissive. It's generally accepted that pro-Sanders trolls were definitely a huge part of Russia's influence campaign. It's not controversial to assert.

An army of bots tweeting, "eat my rear end in a top hat oval office," is not intended to help anyone.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

WrenP-Complete posted:

It's call the War on Terror.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

WrenP-Complete posted:

It doesn't always have to be a formally declared enemy of war. Aiding an organization trying to destroy America as an American will get you there. I think one guy in the early 2000s was tried for treason for aiding the Taliban or something.

Realistically, if an American did something like give nuke plans/actual nukes to Iran or was giving up state secrets with the intent of destroying America, I don't think any judge or lawyer would think a treason charge was strange.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think that they spread fake news online plus Wikileaks but I'm sure there were plenty of Fox News uncles and alt-right shitheads doing it already so we can't really know the total impact of the Russian troll campaign.

Yeah those darn Ruskies were responsible for 70k votes across three counties in three different states going to Trump over Clinton. You unlocked the conspiracy, pal. Now if there were some sort of silver bullet that could impeach Trump then we can have President Piss Pence and all mutants will have to be on the registry.

And that silver bullet's name... was Aaron Sorkin.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I have no idea how much impact Russia had, let alone how much impact any particular move on their part could have had, but I think it's pretty clear at this point that America doesn't need a foreign power to goad it into voting in a white nationalist kleptocrat sexual predator.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

The impact is being examined and measured. It's not some nebulous un-knowable thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP8AGndWfgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNXIEdS6Sc8

Mr. Watts talks about bots at 2:00 and then talks about Sanders posts at about 3:25`ish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evdGL8PaDuE&t=52s

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 3, 2017

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Vesi posted:

That's Sergei Diaghilev, founder of the russian ballet and a gay man

lol

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Ragnar34 posted:

I have no idea how much impact Russia had, let alone how much impact any particular move on their part could have had, but I think it's pretty clear at this point that America doesn't need a foreign power to goad it into voting in a white nationalist kleptocrat sexual predator.

America has been overthrowing governments around the world like clockwork since the 1950s, and we're suddenly ready to start WW3 over another country quasi-influencing ours with paid twitter trolls. Oh, and guess what, other countries are going to be "influencing" American elections from now until the end of time, beginning in 2018. There's this thing called the internet, and another called globalization. Anyone with an internet connection is capable of swaying public opinion anywhere on the globe.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Alienwarehouse posted:

America has been overthrowing governments around the world like clockwork since the 1950s, and we're suddenly ready to start WW3 over another country quasi-influencing ours with paid twitter trolls. Oh, and guess what, other countries are going to be "influencing" American elections from now until the end of time, beginning in 2018. There's this thing called the internet, and another called globalization. Anyone with an internet connection is capable of swaying public opinion anywhere on the globe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZXsYuJIGTg&t=32s

quote:

Anyone with an internet connection is capable of swaying public opinion anywhere on the globe.
Check out Brexit, Marine Le Pen, Viktor Orbán, Cal-exit, Nigel Farage, Rodrigo Duterte, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, Geert Wilders, etc. The world is becoming more nativist and in every case you will find Russia deploying attacks to real effect. I know it seems silly now. It won't stay that way.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 3, 2017

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Maybe we should be Teaching media literacy. Oh wait never mind we still can't agree on basic understanding of science. Hell yea lets burn this loving planet into dust

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Dr. Faustus posted:

Check out Brexit, Marine Le Pen, Viktor Orbán, Cal-exit, Nigel Farage, Rodrigo Duterte, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, Geert Wilders, etc. The world is becoming more nativist and in every case you will find Russia deploying attacks to real effect. I know it seems silly now. It won't stay that way.

Le Pen is the only one there taking money from Russia. The others are mostly disillusioned with the EU and globalization all on their own.

And Democrats are increasingly starting to blame The Other for their problems just like republicans do. It's surreal to watch.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Whatever marginal influence Russia had was still applied by appealing to America's massive reserves of racism and stupidity so it's still America's fault.

Honestly I wasn't expecting the next remake of the Manchurian Candidate to be an orange tinted farce, but so far it's delivering exactly what it promised.

E: also Clinton and the Dems bring uninspiring neoliberal shills also didn't help.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 3, 2017

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Cal-exit has been a thing amongst dumb poo poo Californians forever. I'm not the most attentive guy but there is no way that this is a national talking point, right?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Target Practice posted:

Cal-exit has been a thing amongst dumb poo poo Californians forever. I'm not the most attentive guy but there is no way that this is a national talking point, right?

I don't know about national, but people definitely talk about it.

Seriously, California has the world's 6th(?) largest economy. They could gently caress the US royally if they somehow weaseled their way out.

They won't

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Zipperelli. posted:

I don't know about national, but people definitely talk about it.

Seriously, California has the world's 6th(?) largest economy. They could gently caress the US royally if they somehow weaseled their way out.

They won't

And much like Texas would collapse into itself with in weeks because the water needed to sustain major population centers of California would than not only becoming from other states that continually threaten to turn the water off now from another State that probably would. You can't build a nation on movies and apps

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

please, tell me more about some dipshit at your work, then, i'd love to hear more about your own personal beliefs
in the loving right wing media thread

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Glenn Beck is pretty upset at the NCAA being a big influence in NC repealing HB2. "How far have we fallen as a country that a sports league can bully the government?" I did have to agree with him on one point, sports teams getting huge amounts of money from the government to build stadiums is pretty bullshit.

Then he told a story a woman blogged about being at Disney World and a man walked into the women's restroom and just stood there staring. A quick search on google didn't turn up anything so I'm not sure if it even happened, of if there's more to it he didn't mention.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Expect to hear more about Texas/California seceding (depending on party of President.) For the same reason as Brexit, some very nasty people want to divide and conquer.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

Then he told a story a woman blogged about being at Disney World and a man walked into the women's restroom and just stood there staring. A quick search on google didn't turn up anything so I'm not sure if it even happened, of if there's more to it he didn't mention.

Thoughts in man's head "Is this the right place? I think I'm in the wrong place. I wonder where the men's restrooms are?"

Women's restrooms are not very sexy places for voyeurs because *stalls* duh. I'm wondering if men who have never been in one are imagining women use urinals? Seriously, there is nothing to see. Unless you have a fetish for handwashing and fart smells.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I think it was one of the NPR programs on Friday that had some woman insisting that bathroom bills are about protecting people's modesty and have nothing to do with your sexual status.

What the gently caress is it about a trans ANY person washing their hands in the sink next to you that would cause such mortification that you need legal protection from it?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Keeshhound posted:

I think it was one of the NPR programs on Friday that had some woman insisting that bathroom bills are about protecting people's modesty and have nothing to do with your sexual status.

What the gently caress is it about a trans ANY person washing their hands in the sink next to you that would cause such mortification that you need legal protection from it?

It's all dogwhistling. They want to say "trans people deserve to be lynched while their birth name is screamed at them so its the last thing they hear as they fall into hell where God will rightly punish them", but know that make them look bad so they say bullshit like that instead and know the true believers know what they really mean.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Thoughts in man's head "Is this the right place? I think I'm in the wrong place. I wonder where the men's restrooms are?"

Women's restrooms are not very sexy places for voyeurs because *stalls* duh. I'm wondering if men who have never been in one are imagining women use urinals? Seriously, there is nothing to see. Unless you have a fetish for handwashing and fart smells.

What are you talking about? The semi-private American stalls are basically designed for voyeurs. You can always get a full view of someone inside the stalls through the massive gaps in the structure.

I mean, they almost have to be designed with sickos in mind.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Shbobdb posted:

What are you talking about? The semi-private American stalls are basically designed for voyeurs. You can always get a full view of someone inside the stalls through the massive gaps in the structure.

Is this a men's toilet thing? Because I've never observed it in the women's toilets. Maybe I'm too short? Puzzling.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Shbobdb posted:

I have never seen someone try to look through the gap and a lot of places put a metal bar over it. I think you're being paranoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Is this a men's toilet thing? Because I've never observed it in the women's toilets. Maybe I'm too short? Puzzling.

It's probably just because you are so used to it you don't notice it.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/i-can-see-you?utm_term=.jqMebmvMoZ#.nw39bmLd7y

https://www.reddit.com/r/answers/comments/2526mc/why_do_bathroom_stalls_in_north_america_and/

http://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/26620/why-do-public-toilets-in-the-us-have-large-gaps-no-privacy