Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Not good enough unless it's electrified, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How do y'all deal with squirrels? They've never been an issue for me before, but this year they're digging up everything. Repellents seem to have mixed reviews. I don't think I can throw chicken wire over everything. I wish I could just shoot the things, but there are houses behind ours, so...

From the gardening is awesome and hot thread in old gbs:

Luvcow posted:

squirrel trap that my neighbor uses:

fill a barrel halfway with water and cover the surface with apples then put several boards/ramps leading up to it, wait for the squirrels to jump in and drown

i do not do this because they never really wreck my stuff but my neighbor is hardcore and salt of the earth so its always interesting to talk with him about his gardening strategies

The Groper posted:

Definitive proof that squirrels are vermin that can be induced to kill themselves, much like ants and fruit flies.

Come to think of it, you could probably do this with deer if you had a pit conveniently laying around... :unsmigghh:

e; context for this awful snype:

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody else feel the warm days on the East Coast US could end soon with a dip down? It says in the almanac lookup thing the 50% frost possibility was March 29 for my area, just past. I'm just not fulling buying it yet for warm weather herbs and vegetables.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Where on the East Coast..? Looking at the 10-day forecast, the lowest I'm seeing in GA 8a is 40.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Got 4 of my tomato plants into their buckets:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Neon Noodle posted:

Got 4 of my tomato plants into their buckets:

why are there pipes? are they submarine tomatoes?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

awesmoe posted:

why are there pipes? are they submarine tomatoes?

Fill-tubes for a watering system--note that there are double buckets, the bottom one holds water.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

How does that watering thing work

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

Fill-tubes for a watering system--note that there are double buckets, the bottom one holds water.

Thats pretty dope

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

PokeJoe posted:

I can't vouch for this site, but they seem to cover SIPs well.

http://albopepper.com/sips.php

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

vonnegutt posted:

What zone are you in? If it's zone 6 (USA) or more north, the middle of May is exactly when you're supposed to plant tomatoes. They tend to like warmer weather and while you can start them earlier, they don't really do much til the soil is consistently 50 deg F or so 24/7. If you're worried, buy transplants - I always do for tomatoes. You should have plenty of time for summer vegetables.

For balconies I have had luck with cherry tomatoes and herbs the most. Salad greens, carrots, and radishes are good container veg as well.
Looks like i'm in luck then! Chicago is a 5b.

kedo posted:

As a fellow balcony grower I'd suggest keeping track of the number of hours of sun your balcony gets. I've tried tomatoes several times, but my south-facing balcony only gets a maximum of 4-5 hours of direct sunlight per day due to the way my building is shaped and thus my tomatoes have done poorly every year. I'd get maybe one or two tomatoes per plant, and the plants themselves were extremely leggy, unstable and sickly looking.

In terms of food plants, peppers have done great. I'm sure they're not quite as productive as they could be, but the lower light also means they don't become quite as massive as they otherwise could and thus they're a bit easier to manage on a small balcony.

Also if you're concerned about having enough space, consider going vertical instead of putting pots behind other pots. I constructed a small bench out of some old pipes and cast off wooden bed slats from Ikea. I put anything short (herbs, strawberries, onions, etc) on the bottom and taller plants on top. It doubles the amount of space I have. The picture below is terrible as I haven't started doing any growing outside yet this season.

The balcony gets a full day of southern exposure - it's fifth floor above some train tracks, so there's nothing obstructing it. That's why I figured I'd use some large tomato plants to create shade for the rest of the stuff.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

PokeJoe posted:

Planzzzzzzzz:

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 4, 2017

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So my pepper plants, jalapeņos and habaneros, germinated both via paper towels and just plastic cups have actually nearly all grown. I had planted so many expecting more than half of them to die. Either it's remarkably simple or perhaps I, too, have the fabled green thumb.

Still, there's no way they'll live for long in those cups so:

I'm going to take it all outside probably in May, or until my partner gets sick and tired of me keeping them in the guest bedroom.
A detail on the wicker basket:

There's at least 20 liters of dirt in the basket, definitely more. I actually ran out of dirt so I used dirt from previous years. I do not know if that was a wise idea or not, but I was neither going to not finish transplanting those 6 plants, nor was I going to walk back up the 7 floors it requires to get to my flat with another 10 liters of dirt. I like how it looks and apparently lining it with newspaper helps it drain pretty well. We will see.

This is the rest of plants plus our rosemary, lavender, thyme, and grass for the cat who decided to get into the photo. They all have ceramic balls in the bottom, I've heard that helps.

I've left about 6 plants outside. It's really not warm enough outside, but I don't think it's so cold they'll die. I'm actually kind of curious to see how they'll manage. I didn't really have much room in the apartment, or the right to litter them about around there.

I still have about 24 plants left, of which 10 seem viable. I'm going to try to give them away. The above photo contains the plants in the rest of the pots and planters I have in the apartment. As I'm sure you notice not many of them are all that professional let alone good, but I'm doing what I can with what I have. Also my partner has placed a moratorium on pots since she still wants to be able to use and have access to our sunny balcony.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

My question is how often do these things need to be watered? The seed packets don't specify.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
if you stick a digit in the dirt a knuckle or two deep and it's dry - add some water. Letting the plants dry out a bit isn't bad, it promotes a deep root system and helps fight off damaging diseases that like damp environments.

It looks like your plants are pretty happy so far, so just keep up what you're doing. Also plants will grow a surprisingly large amount in cups like that.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
I just got a couple of blueberry bushes in what look like 2 gal pots. they're already flowering, should i strip those off or just let them go? they're about 2.5 feet tall and have decent leaf coverage for being box store bushes

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Im officially a veg grower. :D

I've got two little blueberry bushes in and a bit of rhubarb. Onion sets, cauliflower, beetroot, carrot and leek seeds have been ordered and I'm picking up potatoes tomorrow. Half of that plot will be veg and half a nursery bed. I've dug out more of it after taking that picture because the shame of having the grassed over plot next to someone who has constructed impressive poo poo all over his double plot is driving me on.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

learnincurve posted:

I've got two little blueberry bushes in and a bit of rhubarb. Onion sets, cauliflower, beetroot, carrot and leek seeds have been ordered and I'm picking up potatoes tomorrow. Half of that plot will be veg and half a nursery bed. I've dug out more of it after taking that picture because the shame of having the grassed over plot next to someone who has constructed impressive poo poo all over his double plot is driving me on.

That's awesome!

If you know what you're doing, then just ignore me. But, if this is your first time gardening, I have some unsolicited advice for you: It's better to do too little, and wish you had done more, than to do too much, and end up hating gardening forever. Next year, you can always make the plot a little bigger, or squeeze in one more plant, or try one more variety. If you overwhelm yourself now, the whole thing will get away from you, and it'll likely just turn into a weedy eyesore and a bad memory.

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 7, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm hoping to grow strawberries for the first time this year, but so far Walmart is the only place in town with any and all of theirs have brown leaves. Any idea what's wrong with them? I don't want to import some horrible leaf rot disease into my garden.

learnincurve posted:

Nice. Its a lot of work to dig out even that much. I bet you're feeling it today. I dug out two plots about that size earlier this week and I'm still a little sore.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 7, 2017

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
The brown on the leaves might be frostbite. It's hard to tell from that picture but there don't appear to be any insect track marks or holes, and this time of year it wouldn't surprise me if they got nipped by some cold weather between the greenhouse and the store. The trucks that transport the plants aren't heated and condensation + a cold night in a truck could cause that kind of leaf damage. As long as it's only the older, lower leaves that are like that and any new growth is bright and healthy I'd rip the brown ones out before I bought the plant and take my chances.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I've had strawberries for a few years and they continuously grow new leaves while shedding old ones. Those leaves look like they're on the way out, but the plant itself looks perfectly healthy.

To be honest, as long as you keep them watered, strawberries are like weeds and are nearly impossible to kill. Then in the late summer they send out runners and make even more strawberry plants and eventually you're like me with six or eight active plants plus another five that I've given away. This year I'll probably have sixteen unless I prevent the runners from rooting.

And this is in pots on a balcony.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Peristalsis posted:

That's awesome!

If you know what you're doing, then just ignore me. But, if this is your first time gardening, I have some unsolicited advice for you: It's better to do too little, and wish you had done more, than to do too much, and end up hating gardening forever. Next year, you can always make the plot a little bigger, or squeeze in one more plant, or try one more variety. If you overwhelm yourself now, the whole thing will get away from you, and it'll likely just turn into a weedy eyesore and a bad memory.

It's my first time doing veg :) I have a plan and it's a good plan so of course it's going to go tits up, but it's to do one row of one thing and to time them so I'm planting that one thing per week and then harvesting them at different times. I'm not going to attempt anything that will involve a cane this year. My grandad was one of those who would roll up with four sacks of onions and have a look of blissful satisfaction as he unloaded them from the car and presented them to my secretly horrified mother. She mentioned that she liked gooseberry pie once which led to 20 years of gooseberries that were more sour than grapefruit bless him.

LLSix posted:

Nice. Its a lot of work to dig out even that much. I bet you're feeling it today. I dug out two plots about that size earlier this week and I'm still a little sore.

I just dug out and replaced the earth in 7 borders which were once grass and builders rubble :( I'm at the stage where I don't want to stop digging till everything is dug. Saying that I just made a year's wages selling my house, so I decided that as I really don't like my job, I'm simply not going back there. I'm taking on the community garden attached to the allotments and am going to see where this all leads, if no opportunity arises in horticulture then I'm hilariously overqualified for the agency work I was doing before so I can always go back. But I'd rather be digging for a living than working in a hospital.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

learnincurve posted:

I'm at the stage where I don't want to stop digging till everything is dug.

IMO work smarter, not harder. If you don't NEED the entire plot of grass to grow veg this year then just sheet mulch it (cover with cardboard and straw/leaves/woodchips). Next year you'll have beautiful soil under there without any digging because the worms did it for you.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Problem is I do and within two weeks, :( so I want to get it done asap or we get a timing house of cards. I got 138 plug plants in my little grow house and windowsills, with nearly 200 at various stages of germination and smol in my house for the community garden, and the amazing mental health charity which has it's home here. They use veg growing as a form of therapy for people with conditions like depression and alcoholism, and what does not go into the garden will be sold as nice big adult plants on the market to get them more equipment.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I tried starting my seeds for the first time this year, and most of the paper towels in my ziploc baggies have either brown or reddish spots in them. Is that fungus? Do I need to start over?

The discoloration has spread to some of the seeds in this bag and in the lower left corner what looks like a white smudge next to a seed is actually rootlet covered in fuzz.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Shifty Pony posted:

Let me just say

gently caress you squirrels.

I applaud the effort but what an eyesore.

literally a hog posted:

From the gardening is awesome and hot thread in old gbs:

Jesus christ.

Content:
Seedling heat mats are amazingly good. Almost too good. My wife decided to plant watermelon and squash in a couple pods alongside peppers and such. Within like 3 days of planting they were pushing the lid off of the tray. I asked her why she jammed direct sow seeds into an indoor seedling tray and she told me the seeds were from 2 years ago and just wanted to see if they'd still be good.

Since we have such an abbreviated growing season, I may do a repeat of that with larger pots so I can get them huge before putting in the ground.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 9, 2017

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

I need advice on how to fix a drainage problem, although probably not the usual kind of drainage problem.

Last year I decided to put a garden in an area of my yard that is covered with river rock instead of grass. After moving some rock, I discovered there was two feet of gravel underneath. So I dug out a patch of the gravel, but gave up after a bit and had a small garden. I noticed that the edges of the garden, where the dirt met gravel, were really dry -- the water was leaching into the gravel, I assume.

So this year I would like to expand a bit, and do something to improve the water leaching. What could I use to edge it? Actual edging is not nearly deep enough. I was thinking I could just bury poly sheeting, but I don't know if that's a dumb idea or not. Landscape fabric is probably too porous to help. Removing all the gravel is probably the best but goddamn there is a shitload of gravel back there, I'd have to get it hauled away.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Trillian posted:

I need advice on how to fix a drainage problem, although probably not the usual kind of drainage problem.

Last year I decided to put a garden in an area of my yard that is covered with river rock instead of grass. After moving some rock, I discovered there was two feet of gravel underneath. So I dug out a patch of the gravel, but gave up after a bit and had a small garden. I noticed that the edges of the garden, where the dirt met gravel, were really dry -- the water was leaching into the gravel, I assume.

So this year I would like to expand a bit, and do something to improve the water leaching. What could I use to edge it? Actual edging is not nearly deep enough. I was thinking I could just bury poly sheeting, but I don't know if that's a dumb idea or not. Landscape fabric is probably too porous to help. Removing all the gravel is probably the best but goddamn there is a shitload of gravel back there, I'd have to get it hauled away.

Dunno, if your soil above it has enough loamy goodness it shouldn't be subject to leaching. I would rather have good drainage like that then bad swampy non-drainage. How deep is the soil?

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

Dunno, if your soil above it has enough loamy goodness it shouldn't be subject to leaching. I would rather have good drainage like that then bad swampy non-drainage. How deep is the soil?

There's no gravel in the garden area, just around it. I am afraid my hare-brained plastic plan could make for swampy non-drainage, but I really have no idea.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

LLSix posted:

I tried starting my seeds for the first time this year, and most of the paper towels in my ziploc baggies have either brown or reddish spots in them. Is that fungus? Do I need to start over?

The discoloration has spread to some of the seeds in this bag and in the lower left corner what looks like a white smudge next to a seed is actually rootlet covered in fuzz.

I have grown things from moldy seeds like this before. Mold and germination often go hand in hand.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Trillian posted:

There's no gravel in the garden area, just around it. I am afraid my hare-brained plastic plan could make for swampy non-drainage, but I really have no idea.

I think you're just gonna want to mix more water retaining soil stuff in to your bed. Compost, soaked wood chips, horse stall scrapings, stuff like that.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have grown things from moldy seeds like this before. Mold and germination often go hand in hand.

Thanks! I'll give it a try then.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Just spoke with a local ranch who is going to dump a few small dumptruck loads of composted horsie manure at our place. Yay poop!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yaaaasss tomatoes

Already over a dozen of the black krim with the black cherry getting ready to catch up in a hurry.

I probably need to prune them a bit but last time I did that I got poo poo yield and the shade will help keep the fruit from getting bleached so I'm gonna let them do their thing for now.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I got the cheapest plastic containers at HD three seasons ago for gardening and they are now extremely brittle and feel useless. What's a second best, inexpensive option for containers that work the best?

Also I have a feeling two things probably hosed up last year

* Where I am in Maryland was straight sun in incredibly hot weather so it basically burnt up things like cilantro quickly. I'm going to get shade cloth to try to counter that

* My drainage probably was done completely incorrectly

I am not going to be able to plant until after we move in May but do those sound like easy rookie mistakes?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I got the cheapest plastic containers at HD three seasons ago for gardening and they are now extremely brittle and feel useless. What's a second best, inexpensive option for containers that work the best?

If you can keep it from getting filled with water and freezing terracotta is cheap and works. But if you leave it uncovered in the winter the soil gets soaked and freezes and then you have broken pots.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

* My drainage probably was done completely incorrectly

Buy a big bag of gravel or lava rock or whatever and put a good inch to two inches at the bottom of all of your pots (more if you have big pots, like more than a gallon or two big). Put a large broken pottery shard (or wire mesh, if you are fancy) over the holes in the bottom of your pots so you don't lose rocks when you move 'em around.

Presto! Easy drainage. As long as you aren't growing succulents or something, you can absolutely soak the soil and all the excess will drain out the bottom through the rocks.

Let me know if you figure out cilantro in this climate, I certainly have no luck with it. :\

kedo fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 13, 2017

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Motronic posted:

If you can keep it from getting filled with water and freezing terracotta is cheap and works. But if you leave it uncovered in the winter the soil gets soaked and freezes and then you have broken pots.

I live in an area with a pretty big buffer before freezing temperatures happen so the only excuse would me being lazy for weeks, but thanks, I'll see if I can't get some cheap ones somehow. Maybe a yard sale when someone's throwing some out.

kedo posted:

Buy a big bag of gravel or lava rock or whatever and put a good inch to two inches at the bottom of all of your pots (more if you have big pots, like more than a gallon or two big). Put a large broken pottery shard (or wire mesh, if you are fancy) over the holes in the bottom of your pots so you don't lose rocks when you move 'em around.

Presto! Easy drainage. As long as you aren't growing succulents or something, you can absolutely soak the soil and all the excess will drain out the bottom through the rocks.

Let me know if you figure out cilantro in this climate, I certainly have no luck with it. :\

Yeh, I didn't do that though, so next time for sure

Honestly the most successful cilantro was last winter. I had a ton and brought a big bundle to my parents...on Christmas. I think keeping it out of direct sunlight will be the way to go even though IIRC it's bolting is temperature dependent

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I live in an area with a pretty big buffer before freezing temperatures happen so the only excuse would me being lazy for weeks

Me too. Want to see my broken pot collection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Motronic posted:

Me too. Want to see my broken pot collection?

It's just another kind of rock mulch now.