Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Alder posted:

I started reading this out of curiosity and this is the very 1st asexual MC? I hope they do go back and fix some of the errors since being called non-sexual is weird. Art is kinda rough and MC goes on rants way too often even for a manga. I was hoping this would be a better version of Bakuman but I will wait and see.

She is right as it's more common in BL for older guy x younger guy pairings. Also, who wouldn't ship their BFs?

I don't know if she's confirmed asexual since in that recent chapter she says so herself that she's still questioning. And yeah, she's really ranty, but at least she acknowledges it in text and is aware of how it affects discussion.

I think what I like about this manga is how it makes me think about how our fictional entertainment whether it's movies, TV shows, books, anime etc. really can twist our perception of romance and relationships and heterosexual expectations. I understand where Kiryu comes from where it doesn't feel like one is actually attracted to anyone of any gender, but we also don't have the experience to really confirm where our wants lie. Because in the end, there's nothing wrong with being in a close relationship. Just sometimes it just feels like there's no real need and it gets tiring when the people around you just assume and try to push you in a certain direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Compendium posted:

I don't know if she's confirmed asexual since in that recent chapter she says so herself that she's still questioning. And yeah, she's really ranty, but at least she acknowledges it in text and is aware of how it affects discussion.

I think what I like about this manga is how it makes me think about how our fictional entertainment whether it's movies, TV shows, books, anime etc. really can twist our perception of romance and relationships and heterosexual expectations. I understand where Kiryu comes from where it doesn't feel like one is actually attracted to anyone of any gender, but we also don't have the experience to really confirm where our wants lie. Because in the end, there's nothing wrong with being in a close relationship. Just sometimes it just feels like there's no real need and it gets tiring when the people around you just assume and try to push you in a certain direction.

I like it but so far it's only 3 chapters out but I'm not a fan of pushy love interests or workplace romance :sigh:

Also, it's nice to have an older FeMC who is not defined by her relationships which is uncommon in manga/anime.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm interested to see what direction they take with the asexual thing because the protagonist may well be such, but most likely her fans are the sort who fancy themselves the cool loner type out of fear of rejection. Plus asexuality is a pretty difficult thing to convincingly sell, what with having to prove a negative and all.

And yeah, older protagonist is something that keeps me interested as well, and her life does not appear to be mostly a train wreck, which is a plus.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, this can either go into a very generic direction (which I'm afraid it might, but I'll go along with it anyways) or it can truck along and hopefully be a decent read.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Given that the thing started off by making GBS threads on dumb romcoms, it would be a shame if it itself became a dumb romcom.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

chumbler posted:

I'm interested to see what direction they take with the asexual thing because the protagonist may well be such, but most likely her fans are the sort who fancy themselves the cool loner type out of fear of rejection. Plus asexuality is a pretty difficult thing to convincingly sell, what with having to prove a negative and all.

And yeah, older protagonist is something that keeps me interested as well, and her life does not appear to be mostly a train wreck, which is a plus.

Agreed, I feel like even an attempt at portraying an asexual protagonist would be better than a Loners who are scared of rejection which has endless series already stuck there. But there's the weird love triangle part where I'm just confused as MC on why the guys like her so much. Assassin is more of super fan who admires her work and no idea about the older man.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Who knows how those darn heterosexuals think :argh:

Gotta say, the artist is good at drawing hot older guys.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Alder posted:

I started reading this out of curiosity and this is the very 1st asexual MC? I hope they do go back and fix some of the errors since being called non-sexual is weird. Art is kinda rough and MC goes on rants way too often even for a manga. I was hoping this would be a better version of Bakuman but I will wait and see.

She is right as it's more common in BL for older guy x younger guy pairings. Also, who wouldn't ship their BFs?

VibrantPareidolia posted:

:yeah:

Why do they have to argue which one is better tho. Isn't it more interesting to switch it up sometimes and see the different dynamics?

I'll get you next time, Gadget!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I have a very strong suspicion that she's just going to end up dating and falling in love and start talking about how wrong she was and so on, but that might just be my cynicism talking.

Alder posted:

Also, who wouldn't ship their BFs?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Unless it just goes on forever like Kiss Him Not Me I think the female lead of the romance manga will end up with someone in the end.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Switching from yaoichat to yurichat, new Tamen De Gushi.

:3:

e. Annnnnd a new Now Loading. :3:

Mikl fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 19, 2017

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

Unless it just goes on forever like Kiss Him Not Me I think the female lead of the romance manga will end up with someone in the end.

Considering the cast of characters introduced thus far, I am sure that everyone is going to get a turn at bat though.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm extremely into this basketball arc

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Mikl posted:

e. Annnnnd a new Now Loading. :3:

Wait, that is actually it? The whole thing?! :stonk:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hypha posted:

Wait, that is actually it? The whole thing?! :stonk:

Yeah, it was a oneshot.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Yet another romance manga that ends just as the couple officially gets together. Why can't we have some chapters that actually show them being a couple is a question for the ages.

(Incidentally, I like Collectors very much.)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I've bounced off it multiple times

I wish Tonari no Robot would update

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I got curious so I looked it up and Miss Kiryu Doesn't Know What Love Is already ended in Japan. Ending spoilers: it basically ends the way it is now—she's still single and doesn't have any romantic interest in either of them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

jellycat posted:

I got curious so I looked it up and Miss Kiryu Doesn't Know What Love Is already ended in Japan. Ending spoilers: it basically ends the way it is now—she's still single and doesn't have any romantic interest in either of them.

That's cool.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mikl posted:

Yet another romance manga that ends just as the couple officially gets together. Why can't we have some chapters that actually show them being a couple is a question for the ages.

(Incidentally, I like Collectors very much.)

It's about the journey, not the destination and some people really love writing the narrative equivalent of standing around & waiting for the bus to arrive, ending it just as the bus opens the doors.

But yeah I agree and Collectors is great, I assume there are more stories about adults in relationships but for some reason they don't seem to appeal to the people translating.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
*whispers from the shadows*
BL is full of stories about adult couples who are in relationships from the very beginning

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

jellycat posted:

Heheh, I guess but does she finally decide if she's a asexual or not?!

Everything Burrito posted:

BL is full of stories about adult couples who are in relationships from the very beginning

It's no use to post about BL if you're not a fan already :shrug:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

And I read those too :ssh: but I'd like some more GL stories like that. Instead it seems that GL manga is about the journey to the relationship (furious blushing, "wait does this mean I'm gay?", awkward first dates, etc.), while BL manga is about the destination, i.e. the relationship itself, with all it entails.

Put it another way: GL is subtext, BL is buttsex.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't remember what the last chapter posted was (I actually had missed the one before), but Koisuru Yankee Girl updated and its pretty, pretty good. Beware the perils of trying to be too cool for your strong yankee girlfriend.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Link the super cute and fluffy BL stories about adults who are in a relationship from the very beginning, tia.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 19, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

What Did You Eat Yesterday is p.good.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Basically you should just read Honto Yajuu already

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

New chapter of Wotakoi. Shipping boyfriends. :allears:

Can confirm this happens in real life

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Lemon-Lime posted:

Link the super cute and fluffy BL stories about adults who are in a relationship from the very beginning, tia.

Itoshi no Nekokke

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mikl posted:

The Misc. Shoujo, Josei, & Romance Thread: GL is subtext, BL is buttsex.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lemon-Lime posted:

reminder to myself to make a new BL effortpost when I'm not sick and overworked

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

I can't remember what the last chapter posted was (I actually had missed the one before), but Koisuru Yankee Girl updated and its pretty, pretty good. Beware the perils of trying to be too cool for your strong yankee girlfriend.

Yep its very cute and heartwarming

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Give me the BL equivalent of Wife and Wife.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Schubalts posted:

Give me the BL equivalent of Wife and Wife.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

More Useless Me, where I guess we start going places? I dunno, you decide.

http://bato.to/reader#dc17055accf77d8c

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hypha posted:

More Useless Me, where I guess we start going places? I dunno, you decide.

http://bato.to/reader#dc17055accf77d8c

:allears:

Good author's note too!

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

a kitten posted:

:allears:

Good author's note too!

To be completely honest, if she was able to move the relationship forward at all before 7 volumes, she wouldn't be useless anymore.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Dame Koi is technically? over at 10 volumes. Although now there's some kind of sequel called Dame Koi R(eturns).

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

darkgray posted:

Dame Koi is technically? over at 10 volumes. Although now there's some kind of sequel called Dame Koi R(eturns).

It is R for :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

baka ch 1 @ mangago