Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

teagone posted:

As per the Plex support forums, double check to make sure the Plex port you're forwarding can be seen outside your network: http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ Something funky could be going on in the router settings, or maybe even with your ISP.

Yeah I'm at a loss... that site says the port isn't accessible, but it also says the VPN ports I have open aren't accessible even though I'm able to connect just fine from outside my network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Dicty Brojangles posted:

Yeah I'm at a loss... that site says the port isn't accessible, but it also says the VPN ports I have open aren't accessible even though I'm able to connect just fine from outside my network.

You've tried it with the VPN disabled, I assume?
Also try it with the VPN uninstalled.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Khablam posted:

You've tried it with the VPN disabled, I assume?
Also try it with the VPN uninstalled.

Yes, I've tried with VPN disabled, although not with uninstalled. I'm using MacOS Server.app for VPN and Time Machine services, but turning everything off doesn't seem to make a difference.

BRBPR
Jul 20, 2001

I'm running both Plex and Emby servers in my house. My wife has been using Emby for ages and I switched over to Plex a couple years ago. She won't switch because of her watched status' on her shows. I did mine manually and she refuses. It's there any way to export the watched status without using trakt? I installed the plugin on Emby and it fails every time I try to run it. Would this be better posted on the Emby thread? I could do it manually, it's just a lot of time.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

BRBPR posted:

I'm running both Plex and Emby servers in my house. My wife has been using Emby for ages and I switched over to Plex a couple years ago. She won't switch because of her watched status' on her shows. I did mine manually and she refuses. It's there any way to export the watched status without using trakt? I installed the plugin on Emby and it fails every time I try to run it. Would this be better posted on the Emby thread? I could do it manually, it's just a lot of time.

When I switched from Plex to Emby and then a couple years later from Emby to Plex (Plex, ultimately, won the day with better remote streaming and remote clients - though I like Emby overall from an admin point of view and paid "lifetime" passes for both) Trakt was the solution. What issues are you having with it? It's not 100% accurate but if you follow the 80% rule (i.e. good enough) you can generally fix what's left with little trouble. You can always wipe your account when done if that is a concern.

Other than Trakt I am not sure if there is an easy way to do this though perhaps someone else knows.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I know that Plex Server run off a Shield Pro is still early stages and a bit crap, but what gives when I do a MakeMKV of a simple DVD like Get Hard, keep all the audio tracks and throw it on the NAS. Every time I play it from either the NAS or the Shield TV, it ends up having trouble playing it because it has to transcode something and it's doing it too slowly to keep up.

Also when it is synced from the Shield TV (which seems to show it doing it at 2.3X~ or so) it is a 50/50 chance it will be a compressed jumbled mess (like its syncing in 140P or something stupid), or a normal quality Sync.

I know sometimes audio tracks seem to cause issues, but MakeMKV is pretty close to a raw dump and being a DVD, I just don't get why Plex is having so much trouble either leaving the stupid file alone as everything can play that MKV just fine in its natural format, or how it can do it's magic just fine with BluRay MKV's but not DVD ones. (Though I guess it can depend since the BluRay's are encoded through RipBot vs the DVD's being direct rips because handbreak was pissing me off with the last few batches of videos, either breaking audio/video sync, or some other random glitch that just eats more time then it would be to just rip and nas it.

Guess I might need to just run the MakeMKV files through RipBot or Handbreak now that they are no longer on the disk/image and should convert properly. Ugh

It's just the process of getting everything to convert correctly. There is always that one Disk that wan't to be different and throws a huge wrench in the process that makes me question the quality of the rest of a batch or something.

Also, were HDDVD's known to "Rot" Like BluRay's were in the early days? My Matrix Trilogy HDDVD's I got when HDDVD was doing its final death sell off, can't seem to be read normally by anything and you can sort of see some wonkyness going on at certain light angles. Might have been why I never got those converted as I think I had trouble in the past with them as well. :(

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

EdEddnEddy posted:

I know that Plex Server run off a Shield Pro is still early stages and a bit crap, but what gives when I do a MakeMKV of a simple DVD like Get Hard, keep all the audio tracks and throw it on the NAS. Every time I play it from either the NAS or the Shield TV, it ends up having trouble playing it because it has to transcode something and it's doing it too slowly to keep up.

Also when it is synced from the Shield TV (which seems to show it doing it at 2.3X~ or so) it is a 50/50 chance it will be a compressed jumbled mess (like its syncing in 140P or something stupid), or a normal quality Sync.

I know sometimes audio tracks seem to cause issues, but MakeMKV is pretty close to a raw dump and being a DVD, I just don't get why Plex is having so much trouble either leaving the stupid file alone as everything can play that MKV just fine in its natural format, or how it can do it's magic just fine with BluRay MKV's but not DVD ones. (Though I guess it can depend since the BluRay's are encoded through RipBot vs the DVD's being direct rips because handbreak was pissing me off with the last few batches of videos, either breaking audio/video sync, or some other random glitch that just eats more time then it would be to just rip and nas it.

Guess I might need to just run the MakeMKV files through RipBot or Handbreak now that they are no longer on the disk/image and should convert properly. Ugh

It's just the process of getting everything to convert correctly. There is always that one Disk that wan't to be different and throws a huge wrench in the process that makes me question the quality of the rest of a batch or something.

Also, were HDDVD's known to "Rot" Like BluRay's were in the early days? My Matrix Trilogy HDDVD's I got when HDDVD was doing its final death sell off, can't seem to be read normally by anything and you can sort of see some wonkyness going on at certain light angles. Might have been why I never got those converted as I think I had trouble in the past with them as well. :(

It probably has more to do with your client, the transcoding profiles for it, and how Plex Server interacts with same than the server itself.

The easiest way to avoid transcoding issues is to use a client (Kodi, or it's offshoot SPMC, the latter if you are using a Shield TV as the client) that handles transcoding locally and has the power to do so. If properly set up a Shield TV (Client) running Kodi or SPMC should "direct play" anything PMS sends it. If it isn't, something is off in your setup or your source files are totally jacked.

MakeMKV rips should be fine, I have about 200 BD's ripped with that and they play direct on my Shield Clients. Meaning, on TVs that don't support, say, the full audio track, it will transcode just that, accurately, and in my media room which has an AVR will full audio support up to Atmos it'll just pass everything through. Something sounds off.

Now when it comes to using a Shield as both the server AND the playback client, I couldn't say. I don't use any of my Shields for that. My FreeNAS box hosts my media and the PMS server.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Can you make a "section" of 4K movies come up on your Plex movie page?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

89 posted:

No. At least not to my knowledge. My suggestion would be to make a separate "4K" library that points to a directory containing all your 4K movies.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 3, 2017

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

89 posted:

You can filter by resolution and save it as a "smart playlist."

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Suggested device to replace streaming off my PS4? 1080, has to be wired instead of wireless only.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

BlackMK4 posted:

Suggested device to replace streaming off my PS4? 1080, has to be wired instead of wireless only.

The Chromecast has an ethernet adapter. Alternatively don't some of the Rokus have ethernet jacks? Probably a better option than the chromecast since it'll still have amazon prime instant video.

I guess you can also always spend $200 on a shield tv or something.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
$70 seems reasonable to stop pumping heat into my room. Thanks :)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

havenwaters posted:

Alternatively don't some of the Rokus have ethernet jacks?

Yes.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

If you're in the eco-system at all AppleTV 4th gen was the best plex device I've used of a Fire Stick, PlexPi, PS3, 360.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Hughlander posted:

If you're in the eco-system at all AppleTV 4th gen was the best plex device I've used of a Fire Stick, PlexPi, PS3, 360.

And they can be found at a decent discount on Craigslist or eBay depending on where you live. Hell, even Facebook Market has some decent ones near me.

But I'm pretty happy with my Roku 3 in the bedroom.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

The Shield TV client is easily the best of the many I've tried, but that is probably a bit above and beyond what most people need.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Downside to AppleTV is it can't passthrough DTS, DTS-HD, and Dolby TrueHD audio which I why I don't recommend it in the OP unless you're using it to stream remotely (since HTTP streaming doesn't support DTS audio anyways) or have a simple audio setup at home.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Luckily, Plex can transcode to Dolby Digital+ now which is supposedly a a lot better in quality than regular Dolby Digital. It also supports 7.1 channel audio. It's not as good as true DTS-HD passthrough but it's enough to get me to stop looking for other solutions.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Right yeah. Ideally, in a home/local setup you don't want the Plex server transcoding at all (or as little possible) as a result of the primary client device in your home theater. But if you don't mind having your server transcode incompatible audio streams to a client device like the AppleTV, then yeah it's a good solution :) The AppleTV Plex app has a wonderful interface that I could see that being enough of an excuse to use it, haha. Just wish it had Siri voice search results integration.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
ATV is great these days if you are bought in to Apple's iTunes ecosystem. Which to be fair lots of people still are.

Otherwise, it is pointless and far behind the times. Yes, some apps which have taken full advantage of TVOS look pretty slick, but behind the gradients is the same app. Sometimes less so.

If you can afford it, buy a Shield. Otherwise the FTV is probably the next best, cheaper choice. Roku needs to get their poo poo together worse than Apple does and...well that is about it. Unless you are talking some custom HTPC thing like it was still 2005 in which case you are on a whole different track these days and probably need a decent streaming box anyway.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I use Plex on a whole bunch of things and don't find ATV "behind the times."

If the web interface re-do is any indicator, ATV was actually ahead of the curve in put a big frosted blur filter over the background art. :mad:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Outside of a Shield TV the Chromecast and a phone as a remote seem to work really well more often than not.

Hell if you wanna get really crazy, you could get a HDMI Compute Stick and use that with a remote with some buttons to just launch Plex or something too.

But I have like 7 devices that are plugged into my TV that can all do Plex (except the darn TV itself) so I may not be the best advice outside of Streaming Experience. :D

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ixian posted:

ATV is great these days if you are bought in to Apple's iTunes ecosystem. Which to be fair lots of people still are.

Otherwise, it is pointless and far behind the times. Yes, some apps which have taken full advantage of TVOS look pretty slick, but behind the gradients is the same app. Sometimes less so.

If you can afford it, buy a Shield. Otherwise the FTV is probably the next best, cheaper choice. Roku needs to get their poo poo together worse than Apple does and...well that is about it. Unless you are talking some custom HTPC thing like it was still 2005 in which case you are on a whole different track these days and probably need a decent streaming box anyway.

I've read about a lot of issues with the FireTV and 5.1+ audio streams. If we're strictly talking about Plex client devices, how is the AppleTV far behind the times? And all Roku boxes can passthrough DTS audio. To my knowledge, the current gen FireTV, like the AppleTV, cannot passthrough DTS. The UI might be uglier, but Roku boxes are perfectly capable frontend devices for Plex and are very wife/kid/grandma friendly. In a local home setup, I'd easily recommend a Roku Streaming Stick, Roku Premiere or Premiere+ over a FireTV. But yes, other than a custom-built HTPC (which is what I use since I stream games in Steam Big Picture mode) the best choice among streaming boxes for Plex is hands down the Nvidia Shield.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Am I the only weirdo using an Xbox One as a Plex client?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've got an Xbox One, 360, PS4 and PS3, and my TV has it available as an app as well, I believe. I still use my Chromecast because it's less steps to just turn on the TV.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

I used a PS Vita, I'm probably in a club of 5 people.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Ixian posted:

Other than Trakt I am not sure if there is an easy way to do this though perhaps someone else knows.

Have you run into an issue where remote users (ex: friends) using plex will mark stuff watched in your trait if the channel is installed?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

TheScott2K posted:

I do sometimes, the performance for me browsing media is trash.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Khablam posted:

I used a PS Vita, I'm probably in a club of 5 people.

The vita has a Plex app? Or are you using the web app or dlna?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

The vita has a Plex app? Or are you using the web app or dlna?

Past tense - I sold that lovely thing whilst it was still worth money.
It only worked on the web client.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, it looks like both the Plex apps on PS4 and smart TVs can't push more than 30MBps 4k movies? 🙄

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

For anyone in the market, there's a $150 refurbished Dell Optiplex on eBay right now that'd make a solid Plex Server. Specs are Core i7-2600 CPU (8224 PassMark score), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 250GB HDD, and Windows 10. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optipl...jUAAOSwfpVZFGA0

Those sold out fast, lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 12, 2017

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Is there any way for a lifetime plex pass customer to get support from them other than be ignored on the official forums?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

xarph posted:

Is there any way for a lifetime plex pass customer to get support from them other than be ignored on the official forums?

I've posted on the official forum (in the Plex Pass area) and received a response from a dev so :shrug:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

xarph posted:

What's the issue? I've always had a Plex Employee or Plex Ninja respond my my threads on the forums.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
Here's a question that's a little different from the usual "what's the best Plex TV stick": what's the best Plex tablet? I have an older iPad (3rd gen?) that I pretty much only use for Plex, but it's kind of a buggy pain in the rear end a lot of the time. Is there a tablet that has a better Plex client and supports more media types without transcoding? A tablet that has a Plex sync feature that isn't super-buggy? Or should I just upgrade to a new iPad or iPad Pro? Looking around it seems like the Android client might be kind of stuttery or inconsistent on different devices. Ideal features also include a good way to stand the tablet up for watching things, because the iPad smart cover completely sucks for that and constantly falls over or comes off.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Could always throw money at a surface pro 4 but at that point you're using Windows and don't really need Plex anymore.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

But a Surface 4 Pro running Plex Media Player (not the app from the Windows App Store) would likely require zero transcoding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I had a Surface Pro 4 briefly and I didn't like using it for Plex. Windows 10, while perfectly serviceable as a touch interface, is still built around the stylus/precision input. I'd tap things in the Windows Plex app and miss the "target" by just a bit even though it was within the ui button.

it's perfectly serviceable though if the SP4 meets your other needs. I just find the iOS version superior as a tablet interface.