Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

agreed

Moby Dick can suck my rear end

I still prefer Moby-Dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

david crosby posted:

These are all good points that I mostly agree with. I think his style and um artistic method or emotional content or whatever are totally different from Proust's, I just was getting some really big feels in a similar way. People always talk about the neutral and extremely long descriptions of the killings, which are important but easy to get burned out on. There is a lot of other cool stuff happening in part three though, like the detective who falls in love with the older woman and her unreciprocated love, the german guy who gets arrested and basically framed for the murders and his experience in prison, the part where the rich girl gets murdered and the summary action taken against the perpetrators, who are found almost immediately, the story about the politician's childhood friend who probably gets killed by the murderers too, and some other cool poo poo, like the older woman who has visions of the killings, I think that happens in that section, plus the church pisser. The passages which are descriptions of the murders usually end with a short lyrical paragraph or sentence, which imo adds some irony or tragedy or whatever. The political stuff in that section is very raw for sure, but sometimes idk what else you can do, some stuff just makes you mad as hell and you're not going to take it any more.

Cairo Trilogy is cool, I'm reading it super slow though. He has a weird almost childlike style, the family dynamics are really weird, but its good.

yeah, those parts were all cool, and i think that in some months i will have better memories of the chapter and the book in general, but for now i'll put it away for a week or so, before i go back to finish the last part.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hand Knit posted:

I'm devastated.

Try this:

http://www.gnooks.com/faves.php

Whole forum is basically outmoded now

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Who's the goon favorite in regards to translators of Dante?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Rolo posted:

Ernest Hemingway

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Rolo posted:

Toni Morrison

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm at Super Target and they don't have either of those.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
In that case, Visceral Games/EA.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
end irony

I like Mark Musa

resume irony

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

end irony

I like Mark Musa

resume irony

Thanks!

at the date posted:

In that case, Visceral Games/EA.

I really liked their translation of The Godfather and The Godfather: part 2!

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

end irony

I like Mark Musa

resume irony

Not in terza rima gently caress off

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Rolo posted:

Robin Kirkpatrick.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I like Pinsky for Inferno. W.S. Merwin also did a good translation of Purgatorio if you decide to keep going.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Rolo posted:

I did John Ciardi's earlier this year, his notes helped a ton. Learned a lot about literature yo.
Really do recommend it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CestMoi posted:

Not in terza rima gently caress off

Yes lets butcher Dante's language in a futile attempt to recreate the rhyming pattern rather than the content and lyricism

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yes lets butcher Dante's language in a futile attempt to recreate the rhyming pattern rather than the content and lyricism

Let's learn Italian so we can look generations to come in the face without having to turn away due to the deep shame of having read inferior poetry

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

quit being a loving child and learn italian

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I think we can all be reasonably expected to learn at least 5 languages.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Robin Kirkpatrick's translation for Penguin Classics is one of the better ones because his knowledge of the Italian is superb, otherwise Allen Mandelbaum's is also good because iambic pentameter and some kind of preservation of the form

e: also this is probably controversial but i'm something of a fan of Dorothy Sayers' attempt at doing the whole thing in terza rima, she is just generally underrated

Jrbg fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 12, 2017

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I'm reading Peeling the Onion* and now I know Günther Grass once cranked one out to a sheep.

* Technically non-fiction SO WHAT.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

J_RBG posted:

Robin Kirkpatrick's translation for Penguin Classics is one of the better ones because his knowledge of the Italian is superb, otherwise Allen Mandelbaum's is also good because iambic pentameter and some kind of preservation of the form

e: also this is probably controversial but i'm something of a fan of Dorothy Sayers' attempt at doing the whole thing in terza rima, she is just generally underrated

Kirkpatrick's is also iambic pentameter, but with hardly any inversion and it still keeps the narrative really tight.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Shibawanko posted:

this but unironically

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

As someone with a 14th-century manuscript copy of Canto III, lines 1-9, tattooed across his entire back, I feel qualified to recommend Dante translations for goons.

Durling & Martinez are far and away the best volumes because of their ancillary material, essays, annotations, footnotes, etc. However their translation is very direct and makes no attempt to rhyme, although it preserves the terzina structure. It's good as a reference and learning tool also because it has the Italian on facing pages.

Longfellow is underrated, Musa is good, Ciardi is mediocre, and Clive James did a much better job than he could reasonably have been expected to do, given the scope of his project (he attempted to capture tone and language-play while rhyming in couplets, in a looser translation).

I usually recommend people to read Durling & Martinez because their notes force you to consider the original Italian and the translation is very literal, and then move on to James so you can have fun with the parts you like best. Those D&M volumes aren't too expensive since they're finally all available in paperback, but if you're on a budget then Musa is my recommendation.

Edit: eww, iambic pentameter. I'm not familiar with Kirkpatrick or Mandelbaum. But the Sayers sounds worthwhile, I agree that she's generally underrated.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 13, 2017

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

mdemone posted:

As someone with a 14th-century manuscript copy of Canto III, lines 1-9, tattooed across his entire back, I feel qualified to recommend Dante translations for goons.

That must be super distracting for anyone loving you in the rear end.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CestMoi posted:

The gentleman's butt dilemma.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

CestMoi posted:

abandon all hope ye who enter here

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

chernobyl kinsman posted:

this but unironically

It was already unironic. Learning languages is very easy (and it doesn't really count if it's just 5 Germanic ones or something). Education should just be teaching people how to read and speak like in the old days before the Prussian education system.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hahah yeah let's teach high school courses like "societal awareness", "communication", "healthful living" or "home economics" instead of Latin.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
my high school offered a latin class

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
On the human level, an educated society means nothing but tormenting the young: when they should be lazing in the sun, rowing the lakes picking waterlilies, watching the cranes head south over the lingonberry covered hills, hiking the snowy backlands, singing and making love, they are put in schools and colleges to learn things we mostly have no reason to know.

Pentti Linkola, Toisinajattelijan päiväkirja, 1979

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ras Het posted:

On the human level, an educated society means nothing but tormenting the young: when they should be lazing in the sun, rowing the lakes picking waterlilies, watching the cranes head south over the lingonberry covered hills, hiking the snowy backlands, singing and making love, they are put in schools and colleges to learn things we mostly have no reason to know.

Pentti Linkola, Toisinajattelijan päiväkirja, 1979

That's definitely true but education before the 19th century also used to be more voluntary, something you did to better yourself, and was mostly about languages and being able to read, write and speak. Reading and understanding things is supposed to be enjoyable after all.

On a deeper level, I think human intelligence is fundamentally linguistic, and being able to think is a product of being able to use language, and it's not surprising that today's poor readers also make for poor thinkers. Part of the problem is also that we no longer read individuals, we read textbooks made up of sourced ideas that just happen to have currency at a given time. The grammar translation method of learning languages, where you translate whole texts word for word, is not very effective, but it at least forced you to engage with an individual thinker's ideas.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 25, 2022

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Swahili doesn't have clicks (Africa is not a country)

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I'm reading The Peregrine

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
How do you think people should learn languages? Just play Duolingo for hours every day?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

How do you think people should learn languages? Just play Duolingo for hours every day?
sell all your stuff and move to another country duh

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

pleasecallmechrist posted:

Agreed if everyone knew two languages and an instrument the world would be a better place that's why I learned Swahili and Fruity Loops they're a very musical people ya know. I incorporate the clicks and whistles into my jams so I got that whole two birds one stone thing

Started reading Satanic Verses. Neither over- nor underwhelmed but diction is the most impressive thing so far

This man is exactly whelmed.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

I dunno, what language do you wanna learn? Wheelock's Latin is like $25 on amazon, Mitchell & Robinson's Old English is a little more; both are complete courses. There's a basically limitless well of resources for learning French and Spanish, and nearly as much for German. You can pick up Old Norse in ~two weeks without a lot of effort and become a very proficient reader with a vocab of like 300 words.

e: also, i like memrise.com for learning vocab

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 25, 2022