Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Not very high quality, but Walmart is doing a nice discount on some of their WEN bench tools if you choose in-store pickup instead of shipping (price will change at checkout.)

WEN 8" 5-Speed Drill Press - $36.50
WEN 6" Bench Grinder - $20.32
WEN 4" x 36" Belt and 6" Disc Sander with Steel Base - $43.51

More discounts here: https://www.walmart.com/browse/tool...chProductResult
Will acquire a drill press and sander on Monday, I am a little paranoid because those prices are half of Harbor Freight's prices and HF quality scares me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Crotch Fruit posted:

Will acquire a drill press and sander on Monday, I am a little paranoid because those prices are half of Harbor Freight's prices and HF quality scares me.

The Bench Grinder is only 2.1 amps, its basically a child's toy. I wouldn't be too worried.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I already have a Ryobi 6" 2.1 amp bench grinder, it's not the greatest by any means but it hasn't let me down yet. I am honestly kinda expecting that these might need to be returned but I am willing to take the risk for the price.

As for HF tools, is the Chicago Electric rotary good? Or what about the $9 29pc titanium drill bit set? I am mostly interested simply because it has a lot of sizes I don't already have.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Tools and tools don't go together. (mildly NSFW)

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I know it's not their most popular model, but I'm inexplicably drawn to the Leatherman Crunch:

From what I'm reading online, it has somewhat of a cult-following as being a really useful little bugger, and I like vice-grips. Anyone have any last warnings before I buy? Surprisingly, it's only 6.9oz.

I kinda want to get the Bit Kit, the Extenders, etc. but my understanding is they're kinda middling quality, only good for light jobs. Also it's annoying that there's no specific holster made to carry your tools as well, or only is for certain models. Still worth getting or no? Does anyone make *aftermarket* compatible bits that are proper steel?

As an aside, why are people still buying Leathermen with leather cases? Don't those suck in every significant way other than looks, compared to cordura and other such materials? Speaking of which, is there any holster for this that would be better/cooler than the stock nylon one? Though as a TFR goon said "it's not called a Corduraman".

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I know it's not their most popular model, but I'm inexplicably drawn to the Leatherman Crunch:

From what I'm reading online, it has somewhat of a cult-following as being a really useful little bugger, and I like vice-grips. Anyone have any last warnings before I buy? Surprisingly, it's only 6.9oz.

I kinda want to get the Bit Kit, the Extenders, etc. but my understanding is they're kinda middling quality, only good for light jobs. Also it's annoying that there's no specific holster made to carry your tools as well, or only is for certain models. Still worth getting or no? Does anyone make *aftermarket* compatible bits that are proper steel?

As an aside, why are people still buying Leathermen with leather cases? Don't those suck in every significant way other than looks, compared to cordura and other such materials? Speaking of which, is there any holster for this that would be better/cooler than the stock nylon one? Though as a TFR goon said "it's not called a Corduraman".

Leatherman are simple childs toys. Just lol if you EDC does not include a KLAX pocket hatchet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwtiZG3TCb8

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That KLAX is pretty cool, a little too expensive for me to impulse buy though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
KLAX sounds like an Ikea model name.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

There's no time for KLAX these days. Back in the 90s though, woo boy!

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Dunno about the other materials for this purpose, but I can speak to the fact that both my leatherman and its leather holster has held up to hundreds of hours of abuse over the 10 years I've owned it. A+ would buy again.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

After 9 years of 8 hours a day every workday, my leather tool + light holster is faded and not really black anymore but holding up fine structurally.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7kL3BYSvfc

KLAX apparently might not be that great, though that guy did make a pretty lovely handle.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Spookydonut posted:

KLAX apparently might not be that great, though that guy did make a pretty lovely handle.

Of course its not great, its a hipster pocket hatchet. Its purpose is to look cool and tactical to other hipsters, not to actually do anything useful.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

As an aside, why are people still buying Leathermen with leather cases? Don't those suck in every significant way other than looks, compared to cordura and other such materials

people have been using leather for holsters and sheaths and stuff for like, I dunno, fifty thousand years?

when was the last time you had a leather holster that broke?

what is your definition of a holster or case that "sucks?"

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Rutibex posted:

Of course its not great, its a hipster pocket hatchet. Its purpose is to look cool and tactical to other hipsters, not to actually do anything useful.

It's actually pretty hilariously bad though. I watched the video out of curiosity expecting "doesn't work well". Instead the thing broke after chopping through a 1 inch pine branch.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Sagebrush posted:

people have been using leather for holsters and sheaths and stuff for like, I dunno, fifty thousand years?

when was the last time you had a leather holster that broke?

what is your definition of a holster or case that "sucks?"

It's less the leather itself, and more the snap closure. I had a free Leatherman I found lost in a park, and lost it years later when I was low-crawling through the brush in military training and I guess the snap snagged open and spilled it out.

I just bought a used Leatherman Crunch on eBay, which looks awesome, and I got a NiteIze pouch for it since the seller didn't include it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I got my forty‐dollar drill press today. The guy who got it from the back room asked, and I quote, “what the hell did you order?”

It’s better than I expected for forty dollars. It’s certainly preferable to the stand + handheld drill I used to use on the occasions I needed a drill press, for the same price.

The notable problem I have with it right now is that the knob that locks the belt cover closed is non‐functional. I’ll need to fix that. Till then I’m using duck tape.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 13, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's not a twist knob. It's a tab with a bend in it. Don't unscrew it. Bend the inner tab so the top snaps over it. The acorn nut is the part that rides in the latch.

Misleading design. Caught me too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It's not a twist knob. It's a tab with a bend in it. Don't unscrew it. Bend the inner tab so the top snaps over it. The acorn nut is the part that rides in the latch.

Misleading design. Caught me too.

Hmm, I’ll take another look at it. It just fell into pieces when I took it out of the box.

e: Thanks.

Not the most sophisticated mechanism, but it works. I put some glue on the threads so it won’t work its way lose again at an inopportune moment.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 13, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the hype around brushless drills is incredibly real

(posting from my makita xt269m kit)

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
I know this is generally about new tools...

So for better or worse I picked up this old Craftsman table saw. I managed to bust the on/off switch in transport :( I'm guessing isn't that hard to fix, its just a light switch.

I don't have space or I might have also grabbed these

There were a couple others I didn't get pix of.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Dukket posted:

"New to You" is still "New"

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dukket posted:

So for better or worse I picked up this old Craftsman table saw. I managed to bust the on/off switch in transport :( I'm guessing isn't that hard to fix, its just a light switch.

I don't have space or I might have also grabbed these

There were a couple others I didn't get pix of.

You should have grabbed them and made space.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gimmie that lathe!

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

You should have grabbed them and made space.

Unfortunately I don't think it would be possible to both find space AND be able to use them...or get to anything else in the room...or avoid being murdered by my wife.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Rutibex posted:

gimmie that lathe!

Are you in the Chicagoland area?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dukket posted:

Are you in the Chicagoland area?

Please place it on a barge and set it loose in lake Michigan. It will hopefully float its way naturally to Georgian Bay where I will pick it up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rutibex posted:

gimmie that lathe!

I will pay whatever Rutibex offers plus a dollar.

ungghhhhh I love the look of old lathes made out of rounded castings (instead of the square boxy ones we get today)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

ungghhhhh I love the look of old lathes made out of rounded castings (instead of the square boxy ones we get today)

With some greebling it could be a retrofuturistic death ray gun.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dukket posted:

I'd definitely do something like this instead of a normal lightswitch: https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71007-220V-Paddle-Switch/dp/B00KPEEPAW

Table saws terrify me.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dukket posted:

Lol I just notice how he customized his blade insert to accommodate a dado pack.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

devicenull posted:

I'd definitely do something like this instead of a normal lightswitch: https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71007-220V-Paddle-Switch/dp/B00KPEEPAW

Table saws terrify me.

It occurs to me to wonder if it would be feasible to set up a switch so that you had to keep it depressed for the saw to keep operating. One obvious design problem is cuts where you want to move around during the cut (e.g. a long rip cup where you start out behind the piece and move to the side).

Maybe something like, there's a main switch on the saw, and when it's active, the saw looks for signal from a handheld switch (bluetooth or something) which automatically shuts itself off if you don't keep it held open. If you lose the wireless signal then the saw automatically shuts off.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Having to manually keep a switch activated, through any mechanism, sounds like a good way to get distracted and lose a finger.

Like the other poster suggested: just have a big paddle-style emergency off-switch. That's the standard. It's harder to turn on (recessed on switch) and easy to turn off (slap the paddle).

I hard-wired one of these onto my table saw, one onto my jointer, and in-lined one on my router table (they came ready to plug in like an extension cord out of the box, so you don't have to do anything beyond plug it in if you don't want to):

http://www.rockler.com/safety-power-tool-switch

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Make sure it's either perfect knee or toe height so you don't have to take your hands off the piece and risk kickback

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It occurs to me to wonder if it would be feasible to set up a switch so that you had to keep it depressed for the saw to keep operating. One obvious design problem is cuts where you want to move around during the cut (e.g. a long rip cup where you start out behind the piece and move to the side).

Maybe something like, there's a main switch on the saw, and when it's active, the saw looks for signal from a handheld switch (bluetooth or something) which automatically shuts itself off if you don't keep it held open. If you lose the wireless signal then the saw automatically shuts off.

For that you would want a foot pedal not a switch.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Or have it like a pin on a cord on your belt so if you step back from the table saw it pulls the pin and cuts power

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Having to manually keep a switch activated, through any mechanism, sounds like a good way to get distracted and lose a finger.

Like the other poster suggested: just have a big paddle-style emergency off-switch. That's the standard. It's harder to turn on (recessed on switch) and easy to turn off (slap the paddle).

I hard-wired one of these onto my table saw, one onto my jointer, and in-lined one on my router table (they came ready to plug in like an extension cord out of the box, so you don't have to do anything beyond plug it in if you don't want to):

http://www.rockler.com/safety-power-tool-switch

This is a great suggestion. I think someone else suggested the same thing or similar earlier

I'm excited to have it and it was cheap. I've watched a couple vids on calibrating table saws.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Or just TURN OFF THE loving TABLE SAW SIRI

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That paddle pops off really easily so you can put something even bigger on it. I've seen people put a swinging kickplate like 3' wide and 2' tall across the entire front of their saw, down by the floor, hanging such that it depresses the exposed "off" button. Then it's just a matter of kicking forward anywhere in front of your saw to kill power. I've been meaning to do that myself, just haven't gotten around to it

Mr. Mambold posted:

Or just TURN OFF THE loving TABLE SAW SIRI

"Playing songs by Mumford & Sons"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So maybe I'm taking the whole tool min-maxing thing too far but can anyone recommend a good tape measure? Mine disappeared during our move. I figure as much as I use it, it should be a good one, right?