Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

The_Doctor posted:

I count 6? :shobon:

5 normal size and 2 microfighter size. Im thinking something like this, just stacked up on these knock-off plates. Hoping to find something a little more sturdy and streamline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Spookydonut posted:

I dont have any of those weird side pieces handy but they attach the same way

The weird eye piece I cant identify probably goes on like this

Mouth piece goes on like this and the eye piece goes around it

I tried it using 1x2 through the center but unless you use some really esoteric pieces it can't be done without make it wider (i think)

I don't think this is quite correct. Comparing with the reference image:

It looks to me like you've only got 90% of the width between the 93273 curved slopes. Note what appears to be a 1/5 stud cut-out at the corner between the between the roof peak slope and the curved slopes consistent with them being aligned corner to corner. The posted method cuts this to 1/10 stud.

Instead, I suspect the builder used a combination of 87087 modified 1x1s (to hold the curved slopes) and 52107 modified 1x2s (to hold the 50948 wedge). Based on the height of the 50948 wedge above the tiled surface, the modified 1x2 brick holding it is likely at the bottom of the stack. Since the curved slopes appear to be flush with the tiled surface, the modified 1x1 bricks supporting them are likely at the top of the stack, directly beneath the roof peak slope and separated from the modified 1x2 brick base by four plate thicknesses (5 plates' thickness is equal to 2 studs' width, so the curved slopes' 4-stud width is equal to 10 plates'—2 bricks and 4 plates, or 3 bricks and a plate—height).

The entire yellow section appears to be secured by a single stud-antistud connection to a 87580 2x2 jumper plate, which is likely bordered by a 1x3 tile (background left in reference) and a 1x2 tile (background right in reference) for symmetry. Note that the entirety of the gray column is 3x4, of which 1x3 is on the other section of the castle, and so the yellow section is symmetrically mounted to the 3x3 section in only one axis.

My eyeballing of the distances might be off, but perhaps someone would be good enough to mock it up in either actual or digital parts.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Is this piece new with the SnowSpeeder? I could see this being hot in the MOC Mech world...

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

All legos have little connecter bits that let you turn them into one big castle, that is the entire point of lego

:master:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Feenix posted:

Is this piece new with the SnowSpeeder? I could see this being hot in the MOC Mech world...

Dunno if it's new in that color, but the piece has been around a few years. It's popped up in a couple vehicle sets as a car or engine part.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think the only new part on the Snowspeeder is the front canopy

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

I don't think this is quite correct. Comparing with the reference image:

It looks to me like you've only got 90% of the width between the 93273 curved slopes. Note what appears to be a 1/5 stud cut-out at the corner between the between the roof peak slope and the curved slopes consistent with them being aligned corner to corner. The posted method cuts this to 1/10 stud.

Instead, I suspect the builder used a combination of 87087 modified 1x1s (to hold the curved slopes) and 52107 modified 1x2s (to hold the 50948 wedge). Based on the height of the 50948 wedge above the tiled surface, the modified 1x2 brick holding it is likely at the bottom of the stack. Since the curved slopes appear to be flush with the tiled surface, the modified 1x1 bricks supporting them are likely at the top of the stack, directly beneath the roof peak slope and separated from the modified 1x2 brick base by four plate thicknesses (5 plates' thickness is equal to 2 studs' width, so the curved slopes' 4-stud width is equal to 10 plates'—2 bricks and 4 plates, or 3 bricks and a plate—height).

The entire yellow section appears to be secured by a single stud-antistud connection to a 87580 2x2 jumper plate, which is likely bordered by a 1x3 tile (background left in reference) and a 1x2 tile (background right in reference) for symmetry. Note that the entirety of the gray column is 3x4, of which 1x3 is on the other section of the castle, and so the yellow section is symmetrically mounted to the 3x3 section in only one axis.

My eyeballing of the distances might be off, but perhaps someone would be good enough to mock it up in either actual or digital parts.

I didn't know those pieces existed but I think I covered it with "esoteric pieces". I think you're right.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those 52107 bricks are pricey for their size too. Ask me how I know. :suicide:

The color selection is really poor too, I had to fall back on 1x1's with studs on two sides.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

tomapot posted:

5 normal size and 2 microfighter size. Im thinking something like this, just stacked up on these knock-off plates. Hoping to find something a little more sturdy and streamline.

Where'd you get those plates? How are they? I could use some, but the lepin plate that came with my detective office was concave.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Straight White Shark posted:

All legos have little connecter bits that let you turn them into one big castle, that is the entire point of lego

Heyoo!

Got my R1200GS in the mail Monday but so far not a minute to do anything more then flip through the booklet to figure out what the alternative model is.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

deoju posted:

Where'd you get those plates? How are they? I could use some, but the lepin plate that came with my detective office was concave.

I got them from Amazon, they are knockoff lego so the are kinda flimsy and the uprights don't snap in well so I have to be careful when moving them. They hold up well enough once I have them in place though.

Found the order:
Premium Clear Stackable Base Plates - 4 Pack 6" x 6" Baseplate Bundle with 30 New an... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0145AYKJW/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_43ehzbSXHCGG1

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Join the latest trend!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

I can think of a lot of better ways to build that, especially given there's no added weight to the outside like normal fidget spinners do by putting more bearings around the outside.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn the minecraft mountain set is bonkers:

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/05/18/largest-ever-lego-minecraft-set-announced-21137-mountain-cave-news/

I probably won't buy it but the play features they packed in there are pretty interesting.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, that's loving massive. Not a bad price, either, considering the size and piece count of the drat thing, even if there's a lot of smaller parts and regular bricks.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Captain Invictus posted:

Wow, that's loving massive. Not a bad price, either, considering the size and piece count of the drat thing, even if there's a lot of smaller parts and regular bricks.

I would have been all about that as a kid. Also having the Saturn V on their shop but not being able to pre-order it is the worst tease ever.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I guess I just don't GET Minecraft. Looks like poo poo to my eyes.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm up to finishing one wing 9/13 bags on the SnowSpeeder and it's SO GOOD.

The only thing about the whole build I don't love is placing those tiny rear end ice skate blades.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Scipiotik posted:

I would have been all about that as a kid. Also having the Saturn V on their shop but not being able to pre-order it is the worst tease ever.

I actually came in here to ask about that - will they be doing preorders at some point?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

What's the best method for removing a face from a Lego head without damaging it?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Feenix posted:

The only thing about the whole build I don't love is placing those tiny rear end ice skate blades.
I put mine together yesterday and had a blast.
It's right up there with the B-wing for my favourite UCS set (that I own. One day I'll bricklink the SSD. One day.)

Really impressed with how good the angles on the front are. Bit too many stickers for my taste though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

RodShaft posted:

What's the best method for removing a face from a Lego head without damaging it?

Pencil eraser or brasso. The former takes a little longer but is much less messy.

Any method will remove a little of the glossy shine from the figure but not enough to notice without close inspection.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

RodShaft posted:

I have it on good authority that you need some specialized materials.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc8Futi93Qk&t=21s

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I have been buying "high visibility" Lego sets for my daughter for a couple of years. The types of sets that are big and likely to be sold out and skyrocket in price. She is not old enough for Lego yet but i am hoping she will take an interest in it so we can build together. I don't want to buy the sets later when the prices have doubled so i am buying them now. If she ends up not caring about Lego i will be able to sell them off (since they are high visibilty sets)
So far i have the Disney Castle, the Fairground Mixer, the Ferris Wheel and i just ordered the new carousel.
Are there any other theme park'y sets that i should get? I realize there is an older bigger carousel but i am not interested in that. They would have to be in the same rough size/price range as the ones i have bought so far.

Transferrins
Aug 18, 2014

Soiled Meat
Planning on selling off your child's developmental playthings to make a small profit, cool.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Feenix posted:

Mine is still on the coffee table and my wife is getting tired of it but I just love it. Also, not sure where it's going to go on display yet.

Habibi posted:

I actually came in here to ask about that - will they be doing preorders at some point?

I don't think so. Best bet is to stay up late May 31 or walk into a store June 1.

Transferrins posted:

Planning on selling off your child's developmental playthings to make a small profit, cool.

It sounds like the opposite of that, but sure.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 19, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lego prices don't "skyrocket" anyways. If you look into what people list a retired set for and how much they actually sell for, there is a giant gap.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lego at least holds its value more than other plastic children's garbage :shrug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Transferrins posted:

you're a guilt-tripping idiot

xzzy posted:

Lego prices don't "skyrocket" anyways. If you look into what people list a retired set for and how much they actually sell for, there is a giant gap.
certain ones do, often larger, special types of sets like the merry-go-round or modulars(though those seem to be less common due to extended availability for newer ones). Limited sets, or UCS sets, also tend to rise in value quite fast. That said, the majority of regular sets tend not to, with few exceptions.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Also minifigs hit silly prices

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Certain collectible ones do, but a lot can be had for 2-3 bucks, even from series 1. It's the mascot costume or special gimmick ones (honeybee girl) that skyrocket.

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

Is there a website that tracks minifig prices?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bricklink is probably the best place for that. The site tracks all sales, but doesn't really make it easy to see trends for large numbers of minifigs so it'll take a bit of homework.

You search for any part or set and it'll have a "price guide" tab that gives a bunch of info.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got my Yellow Submarine in the mail just as I'm heading overseas for 12 days. Though I will be hitting Liverpool so I can see some non-minifig Beatles things :D

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Trains seem to go up in value, too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everything goes up in value, the point is about how much. No lego collection will put a kid through college. Even the most rare and exclusive sets take years or decades to double their original sale price.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's true.

The only set I see really accelerating is the Disney Castle, especially if they retire it relatively soon. Disney fans are nuts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

xzzy posted:

Everything goes up in value, the point is about how much. No lego collection will put a kid through college. Even the most rare and exclusive sets take years or decades to double their original sale price.

Not always. Even a few sets I have that are only months or a year out of production have doubled in price. Although I'd never count on it because it seems pretty hard to predict which ones will go up since most only increase by a little bit for years.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
God drat exo-suit. The only set I've ever bought an extra of to sell, and it seems like every AFOL on earth did the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It was very widely available toward the end of its run, and it's not something a lot of people are going to look back on and say "man I wish I had gotten that"