Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MissKeewi
May 19, 2013

Sundae posted:

Yeah, the newer labs have updated signs with those symbols, but it looks like a lot of the established ones just kept the old stuff up.

On a related note, one of our new hires quit her last job after being hospitalized. Her employer didn't provide any PPE except latex gloves for handling cyanide and (apparently fairly concentrated) sulfuric acid, and she took a nice splash to the face when someone sloshed a solution on a shared benchtop. Note that I didn't say fume hood.

I feel really bad for her, but I have to admit that she takes safety way more seriously than everyone else in my lab now that she's joined us. Now to get everyone else to focus on it before any of them have to learn the hard way.

Holy crap! Now that I think about it, my plant barely made safety glasses required a couple of years ago. I remember seeing a production lead get hot steam and cheese right in the face once before they made that requirement. Kind of amazing how safety isn't taken seriously in this day and age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carnassials
Jan 5, 2013
I'm assuming she was hospitalized for acid burns and not cyanide poisoning from acid mixing with the cyanide salt?

Apparently, my work environment is way more dangerous than the average user in here, but we take the proper precautions. Of course, we had operators hospitalized for several months after a hexane fire because no one ever taught them how flammable it was (as in static could end your life).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

carnassials posted:

I'm assuming she was hospitalized for acid burns and not cyanide poisoning from acid mixing with the cyanide salt?

Oops, yes. Sulfuric acid burns.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So I now have three broken Pipettes because some genius thought you can adjust the volume past the end point and the volume would magically loop back around. I could buy doing it to one but doing it to three in one morning makes me want to scream.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
christ what kind of mongs do you work with?!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Shrieking Muppet posted:

So I now have three broken Pipettes because some genius thought you can adjust the volume past the end point and the volume would magically loop back around. I could buy doing it to one but doing it to three in one morning makes me want to scream.

I made a terrible noise when I read this

Probably the same noise the pipettes did

Jesus

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Someone has a new temp.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Mourne posted:

Someone has a new temp.

No they are a new full time hire who is the same level I am...

:cripes:

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!
I'm considering changing my Psych A.S. track to A.A.S. Medical Lab Technology because I've wanted to "work in a lab" since I was a young lad and I'm beginning to think I don't necessarily need to transfer to a 4-year for a B.S.

How do I become a beaker boy? A pipette prince?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Apply to replace this fucktard:

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Appachai posted:

Sorry guys, the interview is actually next week.

Well, she lied about knowing dynamic light scattering on her resume. I asked her how she could use it to determine which buffer components stabilize a protein and she said "You caught me, I actually haven't ever done DLS"

:byewhore:

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Appachai posted:

Well, she lied about knowing dynamic light scattering on her resume. I asked her how she could use it to determine which buffer components stabilize a protein and she said "You caught me, I actually haven't ever done DLS"

:byewhore:

Jesus loving christ, why would you lie on your resume like that

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bastard Tetris posted:

Jesus loving christ, why would you lie on your resume like that

Appachai posted:

I have to interview someone who has worked in QA QC for theranos for 5 years tomorrow.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

amazing. that level of desperation though...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Our lab and locker/bathroom share the same AC piping so the lab AC has to be always on to prevent the locker room from smelling like rear end during warm weather

This makes the lab really cold :(

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Harveygod posted:

Apply to replace this fucktard:

...or any of the idiots in my lab.

If you can competently embed tissue and not turn the machine off while there's still a rack with 40+ blocks in it off, I will give you a hug.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Duskfiend posted:

I'm considering changing my Psych A.S. track to A.A.S. Medical Lab Technology because I've wanted to "work in a lab" since I was a young lad and I'm beginning to think I don't necessarily need to transfer to a 4-year for a B.S.

How do I become a beaker boy? A pipette prince?

Medical Lab Technology, eh? I've been a MT/MLS (the 4-year variant) for the past 4 years and here's my take (assuming you're in the US, and this will vary by state):

- Make sure your program will qualify you to sit for the ASCP MLT exam. Pass this exam.
- Also, try to get into a program that will help you arrange your clinical rotations or has a number of preexisting partnerships with local hospitals (these are job interviews and a lot of students don't understand that)
- MLTs do pretty much the exact same job as MTs in most hospital labs, but for less money and with less room for advancement. This was not the case with the Boomers of course! You will likely work with Boomers who make over twice what you do due to seniority and have very little formal education. Yay grandfathering!
- Some lab specialties may not hire MLTs, but this varies by the area's labor market

Medical lab technology can be a repetitive field and it's important to understand that up front- we don't drive research or experimental methods. There are challenges and rewards, but the day-to-day is quite rote. I'm currently a blood banker, previously hematology/core, and I best describe my job as 8 hours of Paying Attention. The work is not difficult, per se, but you have to be on constant lookout for abnormalities and be ready to hop to it if something goes sideways. It's a fine field, and pays pretty decently if your certifications are in order. Your work does actually improve patient care, and can directly save lives if that is something that drives you. Also you can see some pretty cool/gross stuff.

MissKeewi
May 19, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Our lab and locker/bathroom share the same AC piping so the lab AC has to be always on to prevent the locker room from smelling like rear end during warm weather

This makes the lab really cold :(

That sucks. Our lab's thermostat is outside the lab near the offices. We have a refrigerator, a table-top convection oven, several pieces of analyzing equipment, 6 computers all running and a whole wall of south-west facing windows. When the thermostat says it's 70 degrees, the lab is more like 80 by 2pm or even higher in the summer. When you need to wear a lab coat over your long sleeved shirt (because it's 50 in the production/warehouse areas so have to dress at least a little warm) and you're running around grabbing samples it gets pretty miserable. Thankfully, most of the time I sit at one of the computers without a lab coat.

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!

BadSamaritan posted:

Medical Lab Technology, eh?

Thanks for the advice. I've emailed my advisor and I'm about to check my school's website for stuff they do in tandem with hospitals and the like. I think I can get behind the monotony as long as I feel like I'm doing something for patients in dire need (or just average need), yeah. I should have mentioned that I'm just a couple credits from completing a phlebotomy certification, but I'm truly interested in actually analyzing biological samples instead of just taking them.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Theranos being a going concern still baffles me

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
So one of our interns today was using gloves because he was handling NaOH and HCl. He then decided to stick his gloved finger in his nose. I've never heard of someone needing to use the eyewash station for their nose before. But I guess theres a first for everything.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I used to work at a nanotech startup whose director of research used to go outside with the operators and smoke right next to the flammable solvent waste tanks. And he has 20 years of lab experience, a lot of which was making experimental munitions for the Israeli army. To say he had little concern for safety is a bit of an understatement. I could tell some awful (amazing) stories I'm glad I don't work in a lab anymore and also am still alive :)

Mr. Pool fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 10, 2017

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

packsmack posted:

So one of our interns today was using gloves because he was handling NaOH and HCl. He then decided to stick his gloved finger in his nose. I've never heard of someone needing to use the eyewash station for their nose before. But I guess theres a first for everything.

I'm laughing so god drat hard at the mental image of all of this right now.

Was talking to our EHS team yesterday, apparently someone set an antistatic gun on fire last week. Washed it with organic solvent and was surprised it caught fire when they went to use it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Pool posted:

I could tell some awful (amazing) stories I'm glad I don't work in a lab anymore and also am still alive :)

Please do!

Edit: Just questioned by our safety department and OSHA dudes about a torso left in a freezer that has been failing repeatedly. Apparently no one knew there was a torso in there, and now no one knows what to do with it! :shrek:

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 11, 2017

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS

Johnny Truant posted:

Please do!

Edit: Just questioned by our safety department and OSHA dudes about a torso left in a freezer that has been failing repeatedly. Apparently no one knew there was a torso in there, and now no one knows what to do with it! :shrek:

I have so many questions and so little context.

So our plant (food production) isn't allowed to have plant life within 2 feet so a while ago we had temps pulling weeds. Someone thought it would be a good idea to use 40% hydrogen peroxide on the weeds to kill them before pulling. So one of our temps had peroxide burns on the entirety of both of his hands which were completely white. Now i mean i've gotten peroxide on me a bunch of times and it hurts, but it goes away. That just looked so bad.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Phosphene posted:

I have so many questions and so little context.

So our plant (food production) isn't allowed to have plant life within 2 feet so a while ago we had temps pulling weeds. Someone thought it would be a good idea to use 40% hydrogen peroxide on the weeds to kill them before pulling. So one of our temps had peroxide burns on the entirety of both of his hands which were completely white. Now i mean i've gotten peroxide on me a bunch of times and it hurts, but it goes away. That just looked so bad.

Why do you have that high concentration of peroxide?

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS

Mustached Demon posted:

We dilute it down to 2% (:downs:) to mist the inside of cartons which then go through UV light. Sterilizes the cartons before they are filled.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mustached Demon posted:

We buy 30% for the lab to use for a couple different things. Toxicity testing etc.

Also, yeah I've accidentally splashed some 30% on my skin once. Once. Never loving again. It hits your skin and nothing then like 5 mins later after it's dissolved into the epidermis and hits the dermis it reacts with the catalase in the underlying vasculature. This releases O2 gas and builds up pressure.

Imagine something boiling under your skin and there's no way to relieve the pressure or the pain because its conveniently trapped underneath your outer skin layers. Felt like someone putting out a cigarette on my arm for about 2-3 minutes until it dissipated.

poo poo hurts.

Edit: This was from a fingernail sized patch of skin on my forearm. I can't even imagine getting it all over ones hand. God that would suck.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

We use it for cleaning and etching at various concentrations. It's real good at gobbling up tungsten. Or your skin whatever.

Has a real nasty side effect of turning common organic solvents into explosives too. So please please please obey drain segregation.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So, random question that might be better answered in the resume/interviews thread, but I wanted some fellow lab workers input.

I'm looking for new lab jobs in Boston, going to be moving there in July. I found two openings through a hospital's website, and when I read the descriptions I realized that the PI who is heading that lab has collaborated with my current lab, and more specifically I've recently shipped this PI slides for one of their ongoing research projects.

So I've got the PI's email address, should I email them with a copy of my resume and basically directly send them a cover letter stating I have interest in those positions? Or should I apply through the normal pipeline and then email the PI directly, mentioning I have already applied? I'm unsure of what to do, I don't want to bug this cat with an intro letter with my resume, have them just tell me to apply through the normal route and then possibly make myself look bad. Do you goons dig?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Hit them up personally imo. The HR people might screen you out before your CV even hits the boss' desk.

Worst case scenario: boss tells you to just apply through the online system in addition

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

100% hit them up personally first to say "hey, job hunting, saw its you, what's the job like? Should I apply?" or whatever. Be chummy.

Also, where in Boston? I'm at Genzyme in Framingham and I used to be at PerkinElmer in the South End.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Awesome, thanks for the quick responses!

The two postings are at MassGen Hospital, so in um... Charleston I think it was? I'm traveling to Boston for the first time ever tonight, I know nothing of the city, haha.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

quote:

We want to be the Canada Goose of lab coats

https://www.utoronto.ca/news/geek-chic-u-t-startup-reimagines-stuffy-white-lab-coats

:psyduck:

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

I'm trying to guess what that could possibly mean before clicking the link.

"There's way too many of us and we crap everywhere and people should probably just shoot us. Order today!"

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Nah, they mean the clothing brand.

Canada Goose is a very douchey winter coat brand that has become a huge fad both in Canada and abroad. They're warm yeah, but very expensive and people wear them in totally inappropriate warm temperatures to look cool (ie. indoors at a club) .

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Development posted:

Nah, they mean the clothing brand.

Canada Goose is a very douchey winter coat brand that has become a huge fad both in Canada and abroad. They're warm yeah, but very expensive and people wear them in totally inappropriate warm temperatures to look cool (ie. indoors at a club) .

Cool let me pay $1000 for a lab coat that I can get for $10

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

RadioPassive posted:

100% hit them up personally first to say "hey, job hunting, saw its you, what's the job like? Should I apply?" or whatever. Be chummy.

Also, where in Boston? I'm at Genzyme in Framingham and I used to be at PerkinElmer in the South End.

I walked by a Genzyme lab in the Somerville area while visiting, ha!

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

I do not understand wearing nice clothes in the lab. So many undergrads crying about their favourite whatever, now permanently stained. God forbid that your actual lab coat is now a fashion statement. I guess that mouse, right before you remove its brain, will get to see you at your absolute best, covered in leaky Sharpie stains.

They are right that they don't fit all that great. That usually comes down to the lab manager being cheap though.

Actually, I could really see this being used by professors and managers. You don't actually do any dirty work, so you will always have it looking nice for your lab tours and weird photo shoots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah why would you buy an expensive lab coat for it to get ruined by whatevers?

I only wear Costco jeans in the lab so I don't feel bad when a hole shows up.