Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I really don't understand all the weird reading order suggestions I see on the Internet. It isn't even just here. I read the MBOTF series in published order, just like god Erikson intended and I can't imagine doing any other order.

MBotF -> ICE (optional) -> Tiste books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I read only the prime-numbered books, and skip every seventh page.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Aranan posted:

I really don't understand all the weird reading order suggestions I see on the Internet. It isn't even just here. I read the MBOTF series in published order, just like god Erikson intended and I can't imagine doing any other order.

MBotF -> ICE (optional) -> Tiste books

I went Gardens of the Moon -> Memories of Ice -> Deadhouse Gates.

I was iffy on GotM and I just couldn't get into Deadhouse changing the characters on me, so I moved on to Memories to see more Bridgeburners. When that hooked me I went back to DHG.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Deadhouse Gates is (arguably) one of the best in the series and while it is a drastic change from GotM, it's what convinced me that I should read all these books. If you get through DG, and you still aren't impressed, Malazan may not be for you.

e: Also, read the books in the order they were written. There is a lot of foreshadowing and there are a lot of callbacks and they don't fit right if you read out of order.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Just wait until you get to Crack'd Pot Trail.

I decided to read Forge of Darkness instead of Crack'd Pot Trail. God drat I love Erikson.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I've forgotten almost everything about Deadhouse Gates, which has proven to be a problem in my nearly-finished reading of House of Chains.

Memories of Ice is my favorite in the series so far. Itkovian is a boss.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

turboraton posted:

I decided to read Forge of Darkness instead of Crack'd Pot Trail. God drat I love Erikson.
Even better, you'll need it as an antidote for all that Tiste angst.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Shab posted:

I've forgotten almost everything about Deadhouse Gates, which has proven to be a problem in my nearly-finished reading of House of Chains.

Memories of Ice is my favorite in the series so far. Itkovian is a boss.

MoI is both my favourite and least favourite - Itkovian is amazing, the wonderfully stoic way the Grey Helms call even rookie's "Sir", the unnamed female marines, the entire Mhybe arc, incredible stuff.

The tensions in alliance never really struck home for me though, which made the disaster at Coral feel a bit forced. But I forgive it that, for how good the aftermath was.

Then you have Lady Envy and it turns into an anime.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Then you have Lady Envy and it turns into an anime.
It does become more interesting when you recall her childhood but I agree that Erikson often doesn't handle the tonal shifts well. Everyone loves Tehol and Bugg and they lift the dark mood of those books alright (as well as show that "ordinary" folk can still keep their sense of humor while Big Events Happen), but a lot of the slapstick humor could be removed without any loss.
Basically get rid of Ublala is what I'm saying.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Stop telling people that.

Eh, no.
Also MoI have Itkovian as the redeeming feature. The more I read about the Bridgeburners, the less I liked them.
Well, except Fiddler. Fiddler is the best thing to come out of the Bridgeburners.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Cardiac posted:

Eh, no.
Also MoI have Itkovian as the redeeming feature. The more I read about the Bridgeburners, the less I liked them.
Well, except Fiddler. Fiddler is the best thing to come out of the Bridgeburners.

Contrasting opinion, Itkovian is boring and bad and entirely too much time is spent on being in awe of his blah blah blah get back to almost any other subplot.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

It does become more interesting when you recall her childhood but I agree that Erikson often doesn't handle the tonal shifts well. Everyone loves Tehol and Bugg and they lift the dark mood of those books alright (as well as show that "ordinary" folk can still keep their sense of humor while Big Events Happen), but a lot of the slapstick humor could be removed without any loss.

There are so many moments where the books being based on RPG campaigns and Erikson's love of Dragonball Z burst through and it's an insanely distracting mess and probably not very good but I love it

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Tehol and Bugg scenes are one of the best things in the series for me. Midnight Tides is my personal favourite. I love the tonal shifts between the Tiste Edur drama and Letheras comedy.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

There are so many moments where the books being based on RPG campaigns and Erikson's love of Dragonball Z burst through and it's an insanely distracting mess and probably not very good but I love it

The Dragonball meme is probably one of the stupider comments regarding Erikson.
If anything, the series is about gods getting taken down by mortals.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Goku is a mortal and is more powerful than most of the Kais so I don't see what you mean

credit where it's due though, "this series is not at all like anime and video games because it's about mortals rising up to the challenge and killing gods" is one of the more book barn things I've read in a while

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 19, 2017

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I don't see how anyone can read Malazan and NOT see traces of anime... especially the ending of Toll The Hounds.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Tehol and Bugg never quite hit home for me, and the constant stuff about them eating literal garbage got really grating.

They did set up one of the best jokes in the whole series though when Bugg appears three times in the Dramatis Personae of Reapers Gale

The Warlock King was pretty great too. Lots of little digs at people.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fenrir posted:

I don't see how anyone can read Malazan and NOT see traces of anime... especially the ending of Toll The Hounds.

*reading about two mighty demigods having an epic sword duel where the great ancient blades zoom and swish faster than mortal eyes can follow and making heroic sacrifices while giving speeches about the fulfillment of their destiny* this isn't anime to me at all

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

*reading about two mighty demigods having an epic sword duel where the great ancient blades zoom and swish faster than mortal eyes can follow and making heroic sacrifices while giving speeches about the fulfillment of their destiny* this isn't anime to me at all

where's the moe

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

StrixNebulosa posted:

where's the moe

Sorry

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Man, leave it to goons to sperg about something cool and good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

turboraton posted:

We sperg out of love. If it were bad we'd ignore it.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

While stuff like Tolkien and Moorcock predates modern anime.
So no and it is still a stupid ahistorical meme.
If you want Eriksons influences look no further than Cook, while Rake is Eriksons version of Elric.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

turboraton posted:

Leave it to goons to take "this thing is kind of goofy but I love it anyway" as a dire insult

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

where's the moe

Thats Trull, T'Amber and the Eres'Al, the non anime time travelling sexy furry whom'st I love to gently caress and suck

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 20, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Contrasting opinion, Itkovian is boring and bad and entirely too much time is spent on being in awe of his blah blah blah get back to almost any other subplot.

Same but Fiddler

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Forge of Darkness report:

Book is cool and good so far. Glad to know more about Jaghut and Kilmandaros (I love her). It's great to see the origins of pretty much everyone and I love Erikson writing as usual. That being said, I don't get Orfantal, I couldn't care less about her.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Reading Bonehunters and is it ever explained how the K'chain possess what seems to be legit a force field out of a sci fi novel? Talking about the part Icarium and Mappo discover a buried Sky Keep.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

turboraton posted:

Book is cool and good so far. Glad to know more about Jaghut and Kilmandaros (I love her). It's great to see the origins of pretty much everyone and I love Erikson writing as usual. That being said, I don't get Orfantal, I couldn't care less about her.

Orfantal's a boy. You mean Sandalath, his mother?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Ulio posted:

Reading Bonehunters and is it ever explained how the K'chain possess what seems to be legit a force field out of a sci fi novel? Talking about the part Icarium and Mappo discover a buried Sky Keep.

The K'chain are basically out of a sci-fi novel. There is more about them later on.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

turboraton posted:

My favourite bit is the (minor) reveal that The Azathanai didn't build the Azath houses, and know just as little about them as everybody else. That's the part where I finally got what he was doing with the fuzzy history - some stuff just happens, nobody quite knows why, and all the meaning and explanations we project onto them says more about us than the object in question.

Also how do you pronounce Tiste Andii? I've mentally vocalising the e and kind of buzzing the s, so it's something like Tiz-tea Andy, but then double vowel makes Tiste Edur really hard to say.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also how do you pronounce Tiste Andii? I've mentally vocalising the e and kind of buzzing the s, so it's something like Tiz-tea Andy, but then double vowel makes Tiste Edur really hard to say.

Per Erikson, it's \ˈtist\ for Tiste.

Erikson posted:

15. The Gunslinger: My question is in regard to the pronunciation of some of the races in your world. I love talking about the books with friends, but I’ve found that nobody pronounces things the same. If you could give phonetic spelling of each (or just words that rhyme), I would be very grateful.

K’Chain Che’Malle (K or kuh, Sheh or Cheh, Mall or Male, as in tamale)

Steven: K, Cheh, and Malle as in Hal.

Tiste (is the “e” silent, have an “eh” sound, or an “e” sound?)

A: silent ‘e’

Edur (is the “e” stressed?)

Steven: yes, and as Eh not Ee

Jaghut (is the “h” pronounced? If so, is hut Hutt as in Jabba, or hoot?)

A: silent ‘h’ and Ja-goot but accent on the Ja: the word should fall off on completion
http://www.tor.com/2011/12/02/steven-erikson-answers-your-house-of-chains-questions-part-2/

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Out of all of those Jaghut is the only one I've got right - I was saying Edur as Ee-dur and K'Chain Che'Malle K'ell hunters as "K-mbmrbmbmmbmrbmbm"

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I have a friend who listens to the audio books and we can't even have a coherent conversation due to our completely different pronunciations. Everything turns into "oh yeah, the undead raptors with blades on their arms?" "Yeah those guys"

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
I will always pronounce it keychain shemale

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I read Dancer's Lament over the long weekend. It was quite good!

I'd say having read most of the main series and definitely Return of the Crimson Guard are prerequisites. The story was fairly straightforward, but the characters were varied and none of the plotlines seemed to drag like I've found in ICEs other works.

I'm looking forward to the next in the trilogy, where dancer and kellanved move from Li Heng to malaz. I'm guessing we'll meet Surly, the Crusts and other characters I'm looking forward to.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

dishwasherlove posted:

The K'chain are basically out of a sci-fi novel. There is more about them later on.

Oh alright that sounds fun. Super intelligent murderous psychopath dinosaurs.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Man. I might have to do this again. I've finally unpacked my books and there those Malazan books are, looking at me. Telling me twice wasn't enough.

I might have to do another re-read. As Erikson himself said... what's a few million words between friends?

It's my favorite series ever, so it doesn't take much to convince me. Tomorrow instead of phone games I might just have Gardens of the Moon to keep me company on the bus. Here we go again.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ulio posted:

Oh alright that sounds fun. Super intelligent murderous psychopath failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Is there any species in Maz-land that isn't a failure? Humans are the only ones that could be described as "thriving" and they're not exactly have a great time of it all.

Finished Night of Knives last night - Like GotM I like the concept of it much more than the execution (and the execution of GotM is far, far better). I really like the idea of following a bunch of normies while all these political backstabbing and world changing magic is going on, but it had the feel of a bunch of players being lead around by the DM while his pet NPCs did all the exciting stuff. I'm not entirely sure I learnt anything more about what happened that night than I did back in Deadhouse Gates.

Temper's reminiscence about Dassem was pretty fun, especially the very videogamey bit about how Champions and Patrons are too vulnerable and expensive compared to a bunch of random dickheads with swords and grenades.