Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tiggum posted:

The Douglas Adams chart is crazy. Ayn Rand? Ann Rice?

it's because those are all children's authors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tiggum posted:

Do it the other way and Ayn Rand is closest to Ray Bradbury, Ken Kesey, and Philip K. Dick.
http://www.literature-map.com/ayn+rand.html

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Mervyn Peake got me a bunch of ancient Greeks and the Berserk manga artist, so the Adams chart is relatively sane.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

Mervyn Peake got me a bunch of ancient Greeks and the Berserk manga artist, so the Adams chart is relatively sane.

Somehow that seems very appropriate for Mervyn Peake though v:shobon:v

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone read The Takers by Jerry Ahern? I've recently had it described to me as a kind of Indiana Jones pulp pastiche, which appeals to me, but I have also heard that Jerry Ahern was a bit of a paranoid survivalist, which doesn't really appeal to me quite so much. Can anyone recommend it?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Megabound posted:

I'm about to finish A Canticle for Leibowitz and the previous book I enjoyed this much was The Name Of The Rose, so apparently my jam is allegory through Catholicism.

What else would fit this bill? Doesn't need to be Catholicism but I'm enjoying strong religious undertones, thoughts and discussions. Preferably fiction.

Pretty much anything Gene Wolfe wrote might do you.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Any recommendations for something similar to the Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone?

Also, anything similar to Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro?

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Any recommendations for something similar to the Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone?

Also, anything similar to Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro?

It depends on what aspect of Never Let Me Go appealed to you most.

If it was the subtle and complex characterization and the novel's demand that you do mental work to fill in the blanks, go for Ishiguro's A Pale View of Hills. Margaret Atwood's The Robber Bride and Cat's Eye also have some of that going on, but neither are as tightly focused, and drag a bit in spots. All three stray significantly from the plot and genre, and are basically realistic fiction.

If you're looking for a match that's sci-fi/speculative with things that are unsettling and morally problematic going on, try Atwood's Handmaid's Tale, Oryx and Crake, or The Heart Goes Last. Carey's The Girl with All the Gifts is another possibility. None of these books are quite as subtle or poignant as Never Let Me Go, but Girl with All the Gifts came closest.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'd like to read about Nixon's impeachment - what's the best book for that?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd like to read about Nixon's impeachment - what's the best book for that?

Nixon wasn't impeached

Also, All the Presidents Men

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Nixon wasn't impeached

Also, All the Presidents Men

Goes to show how much I know about the guy, whoops. Shoulda wikied him first.

Thanks for the rec.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I'm looking for books with protagonists who have alternative world views. Examples are books like Fight Club and American Psycho. People who strongly believe in something different and could be considered inspiring (by some people at least). Preferably people who are successful in whatever their goal is. I'm really fascinated by stuff like that.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

uncle blog posted:

I'm looking for books with protagonists who have alternative world views. Examples are books like Fight Club and American Psycho. People who strongly believe in something different and could be considered inspiring (by some people at least). Preferably people who are successful in whatever their goal is. I'm really fascinated by stuff like that.

Hamsun - Hunger
Camus - The Stranger, The Fall
Céline - Journey to the End of the Night
Dostoyevsky - Notes from the Underground, Crime & Punishment
Hesse - Steppenwolf
Machado de Assis - The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

uncle blog posted:

Runaway Horses by Yukio Mishima
Lolita by Vladmir Nabokov
Everything Ras said

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Lolita is a brave pick

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions. Are there also some that takes place in a fairly modern time? Like the last 30 years?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

The Unabomber Manifesto

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

uncle blog posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. Are there also some that takes place in a fairly modern time? Like the last 30 years?

Goat Mountain by TBBs favorite author David Vann

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

uncle blog posted:

Satantango

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

uncle blog posted:

Invisible Monsters. It has my favorite theme of any of Palahniuk's books. Still stuck reading his prose, though.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

uncle blog posted:

Don Quixote
Confessions of an English Opium Eater

edit

uncle blog posted:

fuckkkkk I got nothin'. A lot of William Gibson.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 21, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

uncle blog posted:

The curious incident of the dog in the night time - Mark Haddon

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I'm looking for good existential dread, but Lovecraft kind of turns me off. I realize we circumvented this subject a little earlier in the thread, but if there is something like the Prometheus movie series that I can really sink my teeth into, I'd like to know.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I'm looking for good existential dread, but Lovecraft kind of turns me off. I realize we circumvented this subject a little earlier in the thread, but if there is something like the Prometheus movie series that I can really sink my teeth into, I'd like to know.

Blindsight by Peter Watts. Dark, nihilistic, hard scifi.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The latest from Stephen King fits this really well. Can't remember the name and I'm on mobile at the moment. It's really, really good. The best thing he's written in a decade+

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Cyclonopedia: Complicity with Anonymous Materials

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

The latest from Stephen King fits this really well. Can't remember the name and I'm on mobile at the moment. It's really, really good. The best thing he's written in a decade+

lol

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

drat bro u edgy af

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

A human heart posted:

Cyclonopedia: Complicity with Anonymous Materials

is this a real recommendation or an ironic recommendation

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Looks like it's a real recommendation. That book's been on my radar for a while for similar reasons.

I find that anytime a human heart posts a specific title it's at least worth looking into.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

is this a real recommendation or an ironic recommendation

It's real baby

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
ok im gonna read it

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Ras Het posted:

Machado de Assis - The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas

Everyone should read Machado de Assis, he's fantastic.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm a scientist with only a passing knowledge of astrophysics, but much interest. Should I read A Brief History of Time? I've heard it's really readable. Or, any other cool, readable cosmology/astronomy books that you would recommend over it?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

alnilam posted:

I'm a scientist with only a passing knowledge of astrophysics, but much interest. Should I read A Brief History of Time? I've heard it's really readable. Or, any other cool, readable cosmology/astronomy books that you would recommend over it?

FWIW, I found Brian Greene's Elegant Universe much more informative, but A Brief History of Time is also good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The king of existential dread is Thomas Ligotti. Not sure if his books ever went into space though.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Carl Sagan's Cosmos and Pale Blue Dot are p deece

okraslayer
May 21, 2017
Anyone familiar with any good lays or narrative poem books? I've read "lays of ancient Rome" & " Lays of the Scottish Cavaliers ".

Just looking for suggestions on further readings.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

okraslayer posted:

Anyone familiar with any good lays or narrative poem books? I've read "lays of ancient Rome" & " Lays of the Scottish Cavaliers ".

Just looking for suggestions on further readings.

The Lais of Marie de France
The Middle English Breton Lays, available free to read on the METS website
Walter Scott's Minstrelsy of the Scottish Border
the Oxford Book of Ballads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

okraslayer
May 21, 2017

chernobyl kinsman posted:

The Lais of Marie de France
The Middle English Breton Lays, available free to read on the METS website
Walter Scott's Minstrelsy of the Scottish Border