Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I don't know where or when but I think I remember Misato saying that each Angel was a singular lifeform, each one being that one's entire race, and how lonely they must be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

So who is the chillest and least lonely Angel?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The one made out of a billion nanomachines

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I bet that one just gives rise to one consciousness, like each nanomachine is like a neuron that creates one coherent mind, which is obviously constantly suffering.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

The giant pyramid for sure. Always felt like that invasion was practically accidental, like it just got grabbed by earth gravity on the way to somewhere else and just started drilling

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The angels are amazing. They do such an incredible job of conveying alienation, utter confusion, and everything that goes along with trying to understand another person.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Arael and Rei II was a fantastic encounter.

"These are... tears? Am I the one... crying?"

:smith:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Guys....guys....it's Sahaquiel. It's always Sahaquiel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSEyayuGv5o

I love the dopey "ooOoooh" sounds it makes, it's the only one that feels like a straight up antagonist, and it's appearance is so loving alien, but still has an angel looking thing at it's center. And all the little demon spikey things that turn red and stand up on end like hairs, but with linked arms like theyre rows of cultists praying or soemthing, it really comes off as demonic in a way the others don't. The wide shots of it doing whatever its doing look like the entire world is ending right there.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Sahaquiel is my favorite but for very different reasons.

I think the imagery is present but less much pronounced in in the TV series as well, but in either case, the Rebuild version has one of the coolest details of any of the Angels -- the little rows of humanoid figures along Sahaquiel's wings. The Angels are not just singular monsters; they represent, and might even literally be, the possibility of an entire species, a potential order of life unrealized. Destroying each of them is an act of extinction, done in self-defense, but still an impossible weight to carry.

I don't find the figure that emerges from it demonic -- I find it desperate. There's a reason it has so much symmetry with Shinji -- a reason why its act of (still unmistakeable) hostility is to clasp hands. You're looking at an encounter between two minds driven by external forces to destroy each other, both terrified, and both terrifying.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The little wavy humanoids to me always seemed really worried and desperate when they popped out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

The little wavy humanoids to me always seemed really worried and desperate when they popped out.

It's also very similar to the way the Anti-Spiral King is depicted in TTGL -- there's a shot where he's shown to be full of / made of tiny little people in stasis pods.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Imagine if he was the Angel that was the start of a whole new species. Just a bunch of chill pretty boys hanging out and playing pianos as far as the eye can see.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's also very similar to the way the Anti-Spiral King is depicted in TTGL -- there's a shot where he's shown to be full of / made of tiny little people in stasis pods.

That was the anti-spiral homeworld I thought, the entire surface was covered with featureless white silhouettes linked atop one another like, woven together or something

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

HoneyBoy posted:

That was the anti-spiral homeworld I thought, the entire surface was covered with featureless white silhouettes linked atop one another like, woven together or something

You're probably right, it's been years for me.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ak Gara posted:

I don't know where or when but I think I remember Misato saying that each Angel was a singular lifeform, each one being that one's entire race, and how lonely they must be.

I think that's tied to the idea of them being immortal from the fruit of life. They don't need to propagate a species so there's only ever one of each. Sex = useless and all that.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Now I'm picturing Speedwagon in the NERV command center and it rules.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
One thing I still don't understand is whether each Angel is coming from space or whether they were all waiting in hiding / fetal form on Earth until it was their turn to attack.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Lord Krangdar posted:

One thing I still don't understand is whether each Angel is coming from space or whether they were all waiting in hiding / fetal form on Earth until it was their turn to attack.

Eva is a character drama first and foremost. They spent an adequate time developing the antagonists, but once you realize the real villains are all human, you're like 2 of 5 brain stages on the way to understanding this weird-rear end show.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Eva is a character drama first and foremost. They spent an adequate time developing the antagonists, but once you realize the real villains are all human, you're like 2 of 5 brain stages on the way to understanding this weird-rear end show.

Yeah I know its not really important overall, but I was curious what other viewers had concluded.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Bit of both. Sandalphon was born on earth, Sahaquiel obvs came from space

Earth: Gaghiel, Iruel?, Leilei
Space: Armisael, Arael

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I thought Adam released the 14 embryos when the White Moon exploded?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ak Gara posted:

I thought Adam released the 14 embryos when the White Moon exploded?

Uhhhhhhhhhh

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Second Impact released the embryos. Some went into space, some lodged into volcanoes. After 15 years incubation they appear.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Alex Jones explains Evangelion to Joe Rogan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X9RUOEOoNQ

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Mythical Moderate posted:

Alex Jones explains Evangelion to Joe Rogan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X9RUOEOoNQ

This needs a little something... :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voe1Oipf39U

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

I am literally crying watching this. I don't even know what the hell it is. It's good.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Just rewatched NGE and found out about the rebuild movies after getting EoE on dvd when I was like 13.
NGE is much better than I remember and now I'm struggling to find anything to fill the hole.

FWIW I thought EoE was a great ending to the series, although the very final moments don't make a huge amount of sense. I especially like the people turning into goop as they open their hearts/AT fields and basically all the chickens from the series coming home to roost at once.

It was fun to watch with my girlfriend who is a Gundam fan as the wrongness slowly began to sink in , "I don't really like the EVAs" she said after 00 goes berserk and tries to kill Rei and it only goes crazier from there. Shinji jizzing over his comatose friend kinda noped her out of Shinji as a character though.

Unit 01 going berserk is probably my favourite moment in the series because you're set up to think Shinji is going to go super saiyan and actually the eva just regresses into a sort of wounded primate, the animation on its really great the way it hunkers down and looks around like a confused animal. Its a perfect "okay, that thing is NOT a loving robot" moment.
That same scene in rebuild is basically the opposite where 01 turns into a god, but I quite liked it since it actually makes some sense that super-saiyan-synchronising with an EVA like that would basically be an impact event. (I suppose instead of a "thats an animal, not a robot!" its a "thats a god, not a robot!" moment but you lose the sense of regression.)

I also quite liked 3.3 where everything is just totally hosed but maybe I wouldn't have if I'd been waiting 8 years for it.
I just really like the scale of NGE, both in that the robottes are huge and require an insane amount of planning and then only run for 5 minutes at a time but the consequences involved are also huge.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

The End of Carboys, Episode:38': Blob is destructive.

nopantsjack posted:

NGE is much better than I remember and now I'm struggling to find anything to fill the hole.

I followed up my latest Eva rewatch with an Utena rewatch and I very much recommend the combo. Like Eva, it's very character driven and makes heavy use of symbolism and metaphor. Unsurprisingly, action scenes are where it compares least favorably.

It also benefits a lot from a rewatch, though it's a bit less binge-friendly due to how most episodes are structured (and getting some use out of that 2-minute transformation scene).

Also it's got sweet tunes :sax:

e: I should also mention it's available (legally and for free) on Youtube (in some regions).

grancheater fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 21, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I honestly like Revolutionary Girl Utena better than Evangelion, people just seem to have less of an urge to talk about it. Some day I should make a thread.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I honestly like Revolutionary Girl Utena better than Evangelion, people just seem to have less of an urge to talk about it. Some day I should make a thread.

There was a simulwatch a few years ago. I never could get into it but it seems to have staying power.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's funny when I recognize an anime solely from remembering a clip of it out of one of those AMV hell things from ten years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIFjXYfcoD4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujxYf9irQ60

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Utena is pretty much Eva's sister series. The films even compliment each other.

I love that show but it's got its head so far up it's own rear end. It's pretentious in the best way, but it can be a LITTLE MUCH at times. Though that's part of its charm.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've heard good things about Utena from people who's opinion I generally respect. One day I'll sit and watch it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
as the maker of your av, I command you to watch Utena

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
If you're a fan of Anno and you haven't seen all his films, maybe you should? Ritual is a beautiful film.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love love and pop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is Utena where that gif where a person is like "actually I'm a car" is from?