Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

If you push on that wall, it should slide back and reveal a key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slurry_curry posted:

And this is in a couple year old hotel/restaurant that is pretty nice.

This could flip back around to reasonably awesome if the cut out piece of the door was affixed to the door frame so that it slotted back in when the door was closed.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darchangel posted:

This could flip back around to reasonably awesome if the cut out piece of the door was affixed to the door frame so that it slotted back in when the door was closed.

I too like being hip-checked as I enter the bathroom.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

If you push on that wall, it should slide back and reveal a key.

Or a nailgun :fap:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

baquerd posted:

Maybe it's on a spring hinge as well, so it's like having weird saloon doors.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Wow and apparently that was the better solution going by whatever retarded logic they were using. I don't know why you wouldn't just move the sink over and take a scoop out of the counter.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"gently caress it, this is faster and we're not being paid enough to care. :effort:"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm amazed they didn't just let it hit, or fix the floor stop closer it so it didn't.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Motronic posted:

Is it wrong that the first thing registered was that the exit sign wasn't lit?

(stupid code enforcement training)

i freelanced at this one theatre who got jacked up because their exit signs were burnt out.

their exit signs were tritium.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

SoundMonkey posted:

i freelanced at this one theatre who got jacked up because their exit signs were burnt out.

their exit signs were tritium.

Tritium has an effective half-life (at least as far as luminescence) of about 12 years, yeah? So, probably a pretty old theatre. Also that's a heck of a lot of tritium - that's gotta be pretty expensive.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
You guys don't recognize a potentially oddly shaped gloryhole when you see one? For shame!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Any hole can be a glory hole if you're brave enough... and don't mind a few splinters.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

shortspecialbus posted:

Tritium has an effective half-life (at least as far as luminescence) of about 12 years, yeah? So, probably a pretty old theatre. Also that's a heck of a lot of tritium

Nah. It's like a fluorescent lamp, in that it's not the direct glow of the compound you're seeing, it's the phosphoresence of the material coating the tube containing a small amount of tritium gas which glows when it's struck by what the tritium's emitting. The signs are only good for one or two half-lives, it's not a lot of material. One sign contains about 2.5 milligrams in total.

quote:

- that's gotta be pretty expensive.

They cost a lot more then battery-powered ones, but at least you never have to change the batteries.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

shortspecialbus posted:

Tritium has an effective half-life (at least as far as luminescence) of about 12 years, yeah? So, probably a pretty old theatre. Also that's a heck of a lot of tritium - that's gotta be pretty expensive.

to the best of my knowledge it was 3 years old

i think burnt out exit signs are something fire inspectors write down just because. the facilities guy at the place i'm at now was finishing up a fire inspection and saw that was on there, and after like ten minutes of arguing, demanded the inspector point one out to him. there weren't any.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Phanatic posted:

Nah. It's like a fluorescent lamp, in that it's not the direct glow of the compound you're seeing, it's the phosphoresence of the material coating the tube containing a small amount of tritium gas which glows when it's struck by what the tritium's emitting. The signs are only good for one or two half-lives, it's not a lot of material. One sign contains about 2.5 milligrams in total.

They cost a lot more then battery-powered ones, but at least you never have to change the batteries.

At an old job I did some pricing on exit sign lighting. The tritium ones are real expensive, so they only make sense to install in places where there isn't already power and maintenance would be extraordinarily expensive. Think, oil platform in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Cut scene from Maximum Overdrive?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

canyoneer posted:

At an old job I did some pricing on exit sign lighting. The tritium ones are real expensive, so they only make sense to install in places where there isn't already power and maintenance would be extraordinarily expensive. Think, oil platform in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.

The nice thing about designing/speccing theatres, I'm told, is that nobody knows what any of the words mean and all the numbers are enormous so you can just do whatever.

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009

canyoneer posted:

The are also used in places where the entire circuit and hardware would have to be explosion proof and on a shunt/trip circuit. I think the ones I bought were $200. Each

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

morethanjake32 posted:

The are also used in places where the entire circuit and hardware would have to be explosion proof and on a shunt/trip circuit. I think the ones I bought were $200. Each

I've had to spec them when the contractor doesn't follow their own shop drawings and there's no junction boxes in a cast concrete wall and running conduit on the surface is unacceptable to the client.

Not ideal but it also doesn't need to be tested every few months.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Friend of mine is in a vacation rental right now.

This is the only hallway between the downstairs living area and the upstairs bedroom.

It is also the shower.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's the cleverest dumb dual use of space I've ever seen. I'm legitimately impressed. Is there a way you could engineer and justify this to remove the dumb part?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Holy foot fungus Batman. Is this some kind of tiny house and every space has to do double duty? Why is it this way?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Imagine being trapped on the second story by running water and a naked person. It's so silly it's kind of awesome.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Imagine being trapped on the second story by running water and a naked person. It's so silly it's kind of awesome.

As a Puritan vampire this is the most terrifying thing I've ever heard.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

It's the dance that does it for me. I'm sure that flex tube was pretty hot.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Brute Squad posted:

It's the dance that does it for me. I'm sure that flex tube was pretty hot.

Startle response tends to look silly yes

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

NancyPants posted:

Holy foot fungus Batman. Is this some kind of tiny house and every space has to do double duty? Why is it this way?

Cheapass vacation shack in a national park, I believe.

It gets better. Here's a shot from the kitchen.

See that sliding door? That's the door to the shower. Or to the toilet. But notably, not to both at the same time.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Phanatic posted:

See that sliding door? That's the door to the shower. Or to the toilet. But notably, not to both at the same time.
My dream of surprising someone who is making dinner with a view of someone taking a dump can finally be realized!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Clearly somebody's never eaten pancakes while making GBS threads before. :jerkbag:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Phanatic posted:

I don't care what anyone else says, XORDOOR is loving brilliant.

e: DXOR?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You do not just march into XORDOR

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Leperflesh posted:

You do not just march into XORDOR

Hold the XORDOR! Or don't!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Where did you get this gif of me taking my pants off

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009

xwing posted:

I've had to spec them when the contractor doesn't follow their own shop drawings and there's no junction boxes in a cast concrete wall and running conduit on the surface is unacceptable to the client.

Not ideal but it also doesn't need to be tested every few months.

I like you, let's be friends.
Did you let them sweat for a bit, or did you come right out with your time and money saving idea?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Phanatic posted:

Pebbly textured floors, just what you want to clean food/grease spills off of.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

baquerd posted:

gently caress, didn't think of that.

Safety Dance posted:

Maybe it's on a spring hinge as well, so it's like having weird saloon doors.

There you go. Problem solved!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
goddamn it now im thinking of just installing saloon doors in the master bath.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Phanatic posted:

Schrodinger's Crapper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
my grandpa had a little woodworking shop in the basement of their house. It had a bathroom just off to the side. It had:

-Baby Blue Saloon doors
-Baby Blue paint on all cinderblock walls
-A pretty sizable shower (blue shower curtain)
-one of these to tie it all together: