Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
There wound up being a tie between Remain, Jack, Galuf and Wendy, so Keeshhound cast the tiebreaking vote.

Our next party is Terra, Remain, and Leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

GunnerJ posted:

I guess but they were wiped out specifically right when he does whatever handwavey thing to neutralize espers. So it seemed related somehow to that.

Oh, so you're talking means, not motive.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I always assumed that Kefka had some sort of antimagic blast there, and the armors couldn't exist with the magic turned off. All Kefka was trying to do was kill the espers, and the armors were just amusingly acceptable collateral damage.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's just a plot power, like Superman.

If it's something they explained, they'd then have to explain why he can't just take away all our spells.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Gnoman posted:

I always assumed that Kefka had some sort of antimagic blast there, and the armors couldn't exist with the magic turned off. All Kefka was trying to do was kill the espers, and the armors were just amusingly acceptable collateral damage.

Eh, I figure it's purposeful, not collateral, to act as foreshadowing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, as... everything he did in Doma shows, Kefka values the lives of his allies somewhere between "a random ant on the ground" and nothing.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I just figured none of the espers who attacked him were immune to Vanish/X-Zone.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Forty Two: Top Gun

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, Kefka murdered General Leo, capturing the Espers that came to make friends with the Empire. Today, things are going to absolute poo poo, so let's roll.

Aw, crap.

Double crap.

Triple crap.

Unfortunately, we don't get to venture into the Sealed Cave and tool around Esper World. That would have been really cool, though.

To think you'd be such a dick! :argh:

Well, that's not really a surprise. We knew Gestahl was a dick, and we've known all along. Still, dick! :argh:

"Even the one where I finally own that Easy Bake oven..."

"We'll survive the new world order through tasty mini-cakes!"

I'm sensing some friction between these two.

I can imagine that being this close to taking over the world with the power of magical murder monsters is probably a little stressful, especially when your closest ally is a psychopathic murder clown.

Oh, y'know, fuckin' everything.

Yeah, things are about to go really lovely for these people.

Earth splitting open lovely, at that.

Hey, it's Jidoor! I like their auction house.

Got cloudy quick, though. Must be about to rain.

Or a massive chunk of the planet has ripped free and is now floating in the skies. That's...Well, sufficiently terrifying.

I've gotta say, to establish that you're a prime-time villain and not some B-list recurring gently caress, this tops the list.

And our enemies control them. Fan-loving-tastic.

Wasn't there a Doctor Who episode featuring some crap like this?

I stopped watching the show shortly after the 10th Doctor showed up. The Weeping Angels, or whatever, right?

I probably shouldn't distract from this information, though.

But to summarize; the Warring Triad created all magic, they stoned themselves to keep their power in check, and if their alignment is ever shifted, the world is hosed with a garden rake.

Well, not quite yet. We've gotta arrange our new party and get them kitted out before taking off.

And you fine folks voted for me to take Terra and the Figaro Brothers, which I'm perfectly fine with. This is basically poo poo-Stomping: The Team.

They're no Team :getin: from when I did Chrono Trigger, but they're still pretty good.

In fact, these three are entirely viable endgame party members. I mean, due to the Esper system and alla that, anyone can be, but these three really shine, even with that taken into consideration.

But, never mind that poo poo, here comes the Imperial Air Force!

:ducksiren:You can totally watch the rest of this update in video form, if you'd like!:ducksiren:

Skip to the 5:00 minute mark if you just want to see the boss fight portion of the video. I know some of you already know what's going to happen here.

And engage them we shall!

Their Air Force is made up of these dudes. All encounters here will be some variety of these two enemies.

The Spitfire is the one blasting out the Absolute Zero, which is an ice attack.

That kind of stings, but Cura can patch up any wounds we get.

They're both weak to Wind and Lightning, and we really only have a good source of :science: at the moment.

And the Spitfire only has 1,400 HP to begin with. Yowch. The other attack this guy has is called Propeller, which is basically just a beefed up normal attack.

The Sky Armor has 900, and can attack with Magitek Lasers or Silence your party. Silence is a pain in the rear end, since it'll lock out all of your magic. Blitzes can still be used, however.

For a little while, we're confined to the top area of the ship as we're attacked by Spitfires and Sky Armors.

Eventually, after a short time, we'll get this message. What do the Imperials have up their--

What the gently caress is that.

Well, whatever, it's different than anything we've seen before, so let's kill it.

Oh, God, not this guy again!

How the hell are you doing that!?

He's not lying about this. We're not fighting Ultros again.

He's still weak to Fire.

But Aura Cannons and Chainsaws work pretty well, too. He's got 17,000 HP this go-round.

Magic is loving ridiculous in this game. No doubt about that.

Didn't even get to attack.

Bring him on, I'll gently caress him up, too.

:stonk:

And we're not out of gently caress-yous for Ultros. He's still got some HP to destroy.

Who ordered the extra-crispy octopus? :coal:

Typhon here is named after the Greek monster that, along with Echinda, fathered Ortrhus, Cerberus and the Hydra, as well as the Chimaera.

He's not that scary here, though. For starters, he only has 10,000 HP.

But I forgot he absorbs Fire. :doh:

He's weak to Ice and Water, so I could have hit the damage cap if I'd remembered that nugget during the fight.

But Lightning works, too. Looks cooler, as well.

After depleting his HP, Typhon uses Snort.

When used by a normal enemy, it blows a party member out of battle, locking them out of the rewards, as well as rendering them useless during the fight.

Here, though, it blows us off the airship and into the next fight.

Where we're taking on the big daddy of the IAF.

This is the "real" boss fight of the section, but it's nothing to worry about, assuming you've been keeping up on your magic.

Atomic Rays drop a bunch of lasers on your head, courtesy of the Laser Gun.

Which hurt, as can be expected. Still, if you have Cura available, you'll be just fine.

The Laser Gun has 3,300, while the Missile Bay has 3,000 HP. The centerpiece has 8,000 HP. It's odd, but these three pieces have less HP than Ultros just did.

All three pieces are weak to Lightning and Water.

But Rising Phoenix will soften them up a little bit.

I should have saved the Trance for this section and blown them out of the sky with Thundara, now that I think about it.

The Missile Bay fires missiles, as the name would imply. He can also use Launcher, which fires eight missiles. Each time a target is hit, their HP is cut in half. However, if the target is immune to Death, it has no effect.

Missiles do a fair amount of damage, much like they would in a Metroid game.

Definitely should have Tranced this poo poo up. It wouldn't have killed them all in one shot, but goddamn, it would have been close.

Diffractive Laser deals Lightning damage and is used by the Laser Gun. I believe the main body can use it, but only if both parts are still alive.

A good bit of damage, but nothing to start pooping your pants about.

However, let's show that fucker a real laser blast.

Goddammit, Remain.

The Bit can be a massive rear end in a top hat.

Blitzes don't count as magic, but you can't target those. This thing acts like a Runic, but for the enemy party. However, it only has 420 HP, and does nothing but absorb magic, so it's not a huge deal, but if you had a spell queued up, then that's a :argh: moment.

In the meantime, a countdown has begun. If it hits zero, the Air Force launches the Wave Cannon, which will deal some major damage if it fires off.

Now, I haven't seen it that I can remember, and I don't intend to see it now.

I had that attack ready while the Bit was around.

Which, hey, go Terra. You encountered a flying death machine and hit it with a sword. That's badass.

I mean, any of these was far more effective, but still, credit where credit is due.

The Thundara was the last straw and down he went.

And down we go!

We're not the first ones to arrive here, either.

Though, we certainly look the most alive.

How did you get here, bud? Just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Yeah, he's good.

We're never given an explanation for how Bowser got here. Or how the Empire failed to kill him, but thought he was totes dead.

What are you, fuckin' stupid?

Dear God, they stripped him naked, too!

That's a little better. He's still going to be hanging out in the back row, throwing Shurikens, though.

And with that, we're going to save our game.

Next time, we're going to tackle (most of) the Floating Continent. Stay tuned.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Leavemywife posted:

They're no Team :getin: from when I did Chrono Trigger, but they're still pretty good.

Man, that LP was so great.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Did Ultros just happen to find a fleeing esper who was as weird as he was?

If so, shine on you crazy octopus diamond.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
My first exposure to FF3 was an issue of Nintendo Power that detailed the latter half of the game starting here. So, large chunks of FF3 were spoiled for me, but I still loved it. :v:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Absolute Zero from those flying bastards used to ruin my day when I first played this. It just hit like a ton of bricks.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

: Bah! No swords for me. I'll just stick to things like Star Rods...

Carbon dioxide posted:

Just so you know, I notified the People for the Ethical Treatment of Kidnapped Princesses of that Paper Mario situation, and they said they WILL take action if you don't treat her well.

: Bwa-hahaha! I have the Star Rod! If Mario can't stop me, there's nothing they can do!

Chapter 11: Magitek Monstrosities

"Personal guards to the Emperor. Sometimes attacks with a powerful Blow."
: Hmm... SP Forces are a personal guard, eh? Maybe I should enlist some of them...

"Attacks with Flare Up, and with Exploder when it dies. Kill it in one shot by using Aqua Rake and Ice 2."
: Oooh! A self-destructing trap? I like!

"This creature's defenses are strong, but it is weak vs. Magic. Make sure not to get blown out of the party by its Sneeze."
: A sneeze? Ew! Someone get the Adamchyt some cold medicine!

"Five of these appear at once so use Ice 2 to mop 'em up quickly."
: Looks like some kinda slimy worm... Hmm... Slurm...

"Uses Raid to suck away HP when it attacks and when it is about to die."
: Sounds like a plant version of a Fuzzy... Where can I buy Mandrake seeds?

"The Imperial Airforce flying MagiTek Armor 1. Attacks with Backlash and Tek Laser."

"The Imperial Airforce flying MagiTek Armor 2. Paired in a unit with Sky Armor. Uses the Absolute 0 attack"
: I should salvage some of these to upgrade my Koopa Copter...

"Uses Bomblet to summon four Balloons. Attack it with Aqua Brake and Ice 2, or have Locke attack it with his Blizzard attack."
: Wait... Locke has a Blizzard attack? First Magic, now Attacks! Things are getting out of hand here...

"I lose AGAIN! Well, today I've brought a pal! Mr. Chupon, come on down! Mr. Chupon's taciturn, but terribly powerful! Better not irritate him! He gets hungry when he's irritated... I was drowsing the other day when Mr. Chupon gnawed on my head! He needed something to polish his teeth on!" - Ultros
: Yeah, that's too wierd, even for me...

"When MissileBay or the Laser Gun is destroyed, Air Force sends out Speck. At the same time a countdown begins, ending with a WaveCannon. Watch out for Tek Lasers."

"On Air Force's right side. Primarily uses Laser. Also uses Atomic Ray."

"On Air Force's left side. Primarily uses Missile."

"Speck absorbs magic, so it can become a pain if you don't kill it quick. Use AtmaWeapon to get past its defenses."
: Oh! I should also salvage one of these to upgrade Koopa Castle!

: So, uh... it turns out they can get Mega64 hooked on a drug, causing him to abandon the LP. It's called, uh... *checks notes*

: The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild. Weird name for a drug...

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

quote:

I can imagine that being this close to taking over the world with the power of magical murder monsters is probably a little stressful, especially when your closest ally is a psychopathic murder clown.

If you can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen, you amature!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I bet Kefka doesn't wash his hands after using the bathroom. *Because he's evil*

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Gestahl is easily the second biggest dick Emperor in both the FF series (first is FF2's Emperor- I've never played that game, but I've heard he somehow conquers the world along with both Heaven and Hell, which takes major dick-ness) and all the media I've experienced thus far in life (first biggest dick Emperor in that is Darth Sidious/Palpatine).

Psychopathic murder clowns never make good allies. Bad news- I hear a major employer of clowns recently went out of business, potentially creating a lot more psychopathic murder clowns. This is not good IMO. I sarcastically hope the ASPCA is happy. (If you can guess what I'm talking about, you win a gold star.)

The Floating Continent's creation freaked me out when I first played this game and it still does that today. It's cool and all, but so many people died! Is ruling the world really worth that? I know supervillains say yes, but I don't sympathize.

I've never been able to get into Doctor Who personally. Every time I hear about the plots it does sound cool though. And they've got some acting talent associated with them. Some beautiful women too- always a bonus.

Leave may have skimmed over it, but doing extra stuff in the game world before taking on the Floating Continent is a great idea. Grind levels and magic, buy items and equipment, make sure you get any Dance/Rage/Lore moves you fear might be missable, etc. You'll need a solid party too. I'm glad we picked one.

Every time I play this game I still wonder where the heck the FF6 Empire was hiding all these Air Force Magiteks. Or how they built them so drat fast. Grinding before the Floating Continent helps justify the time it must have took, but if you don't grind... never mind.

Leave grinded, I think, judging by the party's damage output.

Digging the improved dialogue for our encounter with Typhon (how the heck did Woolsey call him Chupon?). This guy is still a cheap game mechanic gimmick boss.

I have seen Air Force's Wave Cannon and had it wipe out my party. Trust me, it sucks.

Bowser is a badass. That's all the explanation we need for how he got on the Floating Continent with no equipment to his name and the Empire thinks he's dead. I'll say it again. Bowser is a badass.

Speaking of Bowser, good to see Kheldarn's Monster Update again. I'll do a Missed Monster once the Floating Continent concludes. The Over-world monsters available up to this point have already been covered in previous updates but I'll have a few dungeons' worth. :) Including Ultros's final form. :)

Thanks to Keeshhound for posting my favorite Lex Luthor line.

DeathChicken- Kefka doesn't just not wash his hands after using the bathroom. He randomly blasts sinks off the wall on his way out.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

I bet Kefka doesn't wash his hands after using the bathroom. *Because he's evil*

You know the only time Kefks washes his hands? When he shits on them. Which happens--tops, tops--two, three times a week.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

achtungnight posted:

The Floating Continent's creation freaked me out when I first played this game and it still does that today. It's cool and all, but so many people died! Is ruling the world really worth that? I know supervillains say yes, but I don't sympathize.

Like, this always confused me as a kid. The landmass of the Floating Continent itself is already separated from the mainland of whatever continent Vector is on by a kind of channel. That channel line is what separates "what stays on the ground" from "what goes up in the air." So where are all these people standing around when the ground splits under them? There shouldn't be an ground like that at all!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Correction on FF2 Emperor: he was so evil that, when the party initially killed him, his soul split in half. The evil one went off to conquer the city of hell, and manifested it in reality (destroying his capital city in the process). The "good" one took control of Heaven, and tried to coerce the party members who died over the course of the story to forgive him for his actions in life.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

You know the only time Kefks washes his hands? When he shits on them. Which happens--tops, tops--two, three times a week.

There's a special encounter on another island somewhere that you can only get to with an airship. Are you going to show that off?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Glazius posted:

Did Ultros just happen to find a fleeing esper who was as weird as he was?

If so, shine on you crazy octopus diamond.
Typhon is used as a summon in some of the other games in the series, so pretty much! Ultros and Typhon also team up together in a piece of FFXIII-2's DLC... and in FFXIV, as part of a very wacky questline (also starring Gilgamesh and Enkidu).

Since I've been playing FFXIV a bunch lately, :ducksiren:I recorded the fight for you folks.:ducksiren: It features very familiar music too... Oh, and pardon the one Steam notification at three minutes in. Something happened that required me to use this take. :ssh:

I was going to commentate this with Leave, but as you all know, he's been busy lately. To summarise what would have likely been said: Eight-person fights are a bit visually cluster-fucky, especially with a low camera angle. Typhon is the real threat as always, but Ultros brings back some familiar moves. The quest that this fight is part of manages to work in just about all of Ultros' memorable lines in one way or another.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

But to summarize; the Warring Triad created all magic, they stoned themselves to keep their power in check, and if their alignment is ever shifted, the world is hosed with a garden rake.
poo poo, where can I get some of that dank? :350:

GunnerJ posted:

My first exposure to FF3 was an issue of Nintendo Power that detailed the latter half of the game starting here. So, large chunks of FF3 were spoiled for me, but I still loved it. :v:
My sister sometimes looked at my Nintendo Power issues that had FF3/6 in them and appreciated the art.

achtungnight posted:

Psychopathic murder clowns never make good allies. Bad news- I hear a major employer of clowns recently went out of business, potentially creating a lot more psychopathic murder clowns. This is not good IMO. I sarcastically hope the ASPCA is happy. (If you can guess what I'm talking about, you win a gold star.)
rip Barnum & Bailey's. But at least the elephants will be OK.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Typhon is used as a summon in some of the other games in the series, so pretty much! Ultros and Typhon also team up together in a piece of FFXIII-2's DLC... and in FFXIV, as part of a very wacky questline (also starring Gilgamesh and Enkidu).

and that Questline is why the English part of the fandom had taken to calling Gilgamesh Greg.

As for Ringlings, well Elephants deserved way better, and it's likely if it's not this, then something else, the Three Ring Traveling Circus format has been a dying art.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Forty Three: A Living Weapon

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI, we kicked the poo poo out of the Imperial Air Force and kicked the poo poo out of Ultros for the last time! Then we landed on the Floating Continent, where we met up with Bowser, who isn't dead! Today, we're going to tear through the Continent, kicking more rear end, so let's roll.

There's a lot of new monsters up here, too, and lots of AP to be gained.

A fair part of the footage I recorded in this dungeon was me switching Espers around my party so that everyone was constantly learning spells.

Our first new monster is the Dragon, a 7,000 HP jackass.

When attacked by anything, they have a 1/3 chance to retaliate with Snort, blasting someone out of the battle.

They've also got access to Snowstorm, which inflicts Ice damage on the party and can use a special attack called Tail, which deals 500% more damage than a regular attack.

If we had brought Nathan along, there's a 1/8 chance to steal Genji Gloves from these guys.

They're weak to Thunder, which I wish I had remembered/looked up prior to recording.

They'll spit out 2,931 EXP a piece, but no cash.

Is it just me, or does the Floating Continent look kind of organic and fleshy?

That blue orb is a chest, by the way.

These guys are kind of neat, in that they have some gimmick attacks.

First off, they can smack someone into Silence, which doesn't really matter for our party, barring Terra. Tools, Blitz, and Throw don't give a poo poo if their user can't speak.

And Silencing Touch doesn't even do any damage.

These guys are weak to Holy and Lightning and have 1,900 HP to their names.

It was this fight that I also discovered I don't have any Echo Herbs with me, which is odd. I usually try and keep a few of every status healing item on hand.

They can also use Lv. 3 Confuse and Lv. 5 Death.

In the case of Lv. 4 Flare, if the targets level is a multiple of 4, then the spell will hit. If not, it's a miss.

It does a fair bit of damage, too, as Flare is wont to do. Lv. 3 Confuse and Lv. 5 Death work the same way, but with levels in the multiples of those numbers.

1,200 EXP a piece and 525 Gil, as well. You can steal Angel Rings from these guys, too.

It weirds me out that these paths are just opening up. It makes me feel like the Continent is kind of alive.

The Murasame is a weapon for Jack, which adds +10 to his Evasion.

There's a fair bit of treasure scattered about here, too, all hidden away in those blue pimples.

Gasp!

This guy is an rear end in a top hat.

He starts the fight with three of these, another skill that does 500% damage.

It also seems fairly inaccurate.

But, when it hits, you know it.

He's got 6,000 HP, and is only weak to Poison.

Someone speculated that I had done some grinding, based on my damage output, and I really haven't. I've just got the magic blasting folks kitted out with Earrings, which help a ton.

Gigantos also has a regular attack, but it only did 65 damage, so it's not very impressive. Throat Jab is the irritant here. It doesn't help that when he's attacked by anything, he immediately counters with two regular attacks and a Throat Jab.

He gives out 7,550 EXP, though, even if there is no money to go along with it.

He also drops a new weapon for Bowser.

Which I'm not going to equip. Bowser isn't casting much magic, but that Speed stat isn't something I like to see go down, nor do I like his Evasion dropping like that. The Sasuke would be better if he were actually Attacking, but he's just throwing Shurikens.

These guys aren't anything special.

Wing is supposed to deal double damage. When they're alone, they can use Cyclonic, which is a wind attack that hits the entire party.

They're weak to nothing, have 2802 HP, and you can steal Dragoon Boots from them.

895 EXP and 1,300 Gil a piece, though, but they're just boring enemies.

These are kind of teleport holes; they take you elsewhere on the Continent.

There's a switch over there, but first

Two for one on new enemies!

The Brainpan is the one with the Shurikens in his face. You can steal loving Earrings from these guys, but be quick about it; they only have 1,300 HP.

They're also weak to Fire, Holy and Lightning, can inflict Stop on your party members, and can use an attack called 1,000 Needles, which deals 1,000 damage to whoever it hits. Galuf can pick that up as a Lore, too, if he's around. They drop 600 Gil and 550 EXP a piece.

The Misfit is currently getting his poo poo lit the gently caress up. They're just like those assholes back in the Sealed Cave, so when you kill them, make sure you're getting it done in one shot; Lifeshaver will drain a ton of health from whoever it hits.

They have 1,750 HP and a weakness to Fire and Holy. They can inflict Darkness on your party and you can steal Alarm Earrings from them. They give out 786 Gil and 750 EXP each.

Hitting the switch allows us to continue forward.

And go into a dead end area.

But, that leads to our last new enemy of this update!

The Behemoth! They're balls of HP, with 5,800 to blow off.

They're weak to Ice, and don't resist anything.

When alone, the Behemoth has a 33% chance of countering with Beatdown, which just hits really hard, about three times as much damage as normal.

And if you summon any Espers when they're around, they counter with loving Meteor, which will do a ton of damage and could possibly end your game. I don't really know, since I didn't even know the Behemoth could do that.

Because, seriously, who the gently caress is summoning Espers in this game?

For the Behemoth, you'll get 2055 EXP for dropping him. If you want, you can steal Hermes Sandals from him, but I'm not sure why you'd want to.

Going down the stairs will lead us nowhere we want to go at the moment, so we'll cross over here.

And before I forget to mention it, there are also Ninjas running around up here. I'm not sure why; maybe there's some sort of magic that draws them here, and is why Bowser happened to be up here.

We drop into the hole and

get farted out over here.

And we repeat the process.

Hey, look, the Blackjack!

However, that's a dead end, why did we go over there

This is where we want to be. Can still see the Blackjack, too.

This switch lowers the path we crossed earlier, giving us another path to continue forward with.

My memory always tells me that this area is so much longer than it really is.

I think it's because, on the Floating Continent, you're constantly fighting and there's a real sense of urgency about the whole thing.

I mean, Gestahl and Kefka have unearthed the goddamned Warring Triad.

That's bad loving news, no matter how you try and spin it.

So we've gotta cross this landmass (seriously, am I the only one that thinks it looks kind of alive?), fighting strong monsters, knowing that two of the most evil cats on the planet have access to a magical nuclear arsenal, and the man who could have been one of our greatest allies has just been murdered by one of said cats.

The Floating Continent has a certain mood attached to it.

And a certain boss fight at the end which helps enhance said mood.

There's also just a lot of ground to cover up here.

Up above is the way forward, by the way.

This is just a nice little rest area if you need one.

I have Osmose, so I don't really need a rest area like that.

Osmose costs 1 MP to cast and will steal MP from an enemy, giving it back to the caster. It's good for a quick recharge in a dungeon, especially since it restores the caster's to full (assuming the enemy has enough MP for that) and there are some enemies that can be killed outright by depleting their MP, through Osmose or Rasp.

In essence, Osmose is the poo poo and you'd be remiss skipping out on it.

Oh, and the Beret is for Wendy, increasing her chance to successfully Sketch an enemy.

No poo poo!

If need be, we can hop off the Floating Continent and onto the Airship, letting us go shopping, pick up Rages/Lores/Dances, or do whatever we want to do.

At this moment, we have no reason to do that.

I know, I know, it looks like some sort of goofy lizard.

But it's our baddest boss yet.

:ducksiren:Check it.:ducksiren:

Let's dance.

Fuma Shurikens are the big brother to the regular Shuriken.

Ultima here has 24,000 HP, 5,000 MP, access to tons of powerful spells, and is generally considered a fucker.

He has no weaknesses or resistances, but can be hit with Sap, Slow, and Darkness.

Dammit, Remain, while that's a kickass image, that does us no good in this fight.

At this point, I'm hammering him with my strongest attacks and throwing out crap I'll never use otherwise.

I honestly forgot he could just up and punch someone in the face.

I mean, it hurts, so that's understandable, but I really forgot he's willing to reach out and slap you like a bitch.

Not a ton of damage, but everyone is now Poisoned, which will drain our health at a constant rate.

Terra used Poisona on herself, while everyone else threw Antidotes.

Graviga is kind of a scary attack.

The Gravity family of spells reduces HP by a certain amount.

Graviga drops the targets HP to 1/4 of the current amount, and when you're facing an enemy that can use Quake (powerful Earth-elemental spell), Blaze, Tornado, and Meteor, that's frightening.

He can also just blast your MP to bits if he feels like it.

62 doesn't sound like a lot, but Terra only has a little over 300 MP at this point. That's actually a fair amount.

Cura, for example, costs 25 MP to cast, to put that 62 MP destroyed into a different context.

And this rear end in a top hat has Flare, the regular version, which just hits no matter what.

Flare goddamned hurts.

However, Ultima has one last pants-making GBS threads attack, called Flare Star.

What does Flare Star do, you ask? It hits the party for damage equal to the lowest level of the character in your party, multiplied by 80. Bowser had the lowest level of this party, at 26, so that's 2,080 damage. Thankfully, it divides that damage among the party, so everyone would take 520 damage. There's a bit of charge up period to it, in which Ultima also gains Haste, Protect and and Shell, so if you're trying to kill him before he launches it, you're dealing with lowered damage output. Your best bet is to just heal up as much as you can, since you have a two-turn window to make yourself survivable. After Flare Star appears, if he has less than 6,144 HP, the Ultima Weapon gains a 33% chance to counter any attack made with loving Flare.

In short, the Ultima Weapon can be a massive rear end in a top hat. He's also one of those enemies that can be killed by draining all of his MP, but I've never done that before. You can steal a Ribbon from him, at a 1/8 chance, otherwise you're just getting an Elixir. Speaking of which, upon death, he drops an Elixir.

Just like that, Bowser is gone, and we're down to three party members.

Next time, we're going to confront the Emperor and his clown.

Stay tuned.

hexedangel
Mar 13, 2005

It's just a game we play... in the dark...
The Floating Continent is the only place I ever summon an esper - first fight out I typically bring out Phantom, to Vanish everyone and give me a bit of an advantage in the first half - particularly against Gigantos.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of my favorite parts of any FF game.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Definitely one of the more underrated awesome FF tracks, it really matches the tone for probably the toughest fight in the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAFLijQcj9Q

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I make a point to always bring the thief and blue mags up here. BlowFish is really cheap, and a pretty good damage source for this point in the game, and stealing Genji Gloves is amazing, particularly given a gimmick later. The level-based Lores have their moments, as well.

Also, the light armor you can buy in Thamasa (was Gaia Gear in the original translation) absorbs Earth-elemental damage, which includes the boss's quake, as well as the misfits' lifeshaver.

Leave, are you deliberately skipping Mog's Dances here? I think there's one you can only get before the next plot beat.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Oberndorf posted:

Leave, are you deliberately skipping Mog's Dances here? I think there's one you can only get before the next plot beat.

I actually have all available Dances at the moment. I did that after we picked up Pog, but off-screen.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
When fighting Gigantos, I always summoned the Phantom Esper and made my party invisible. It's amusing to watch the big guy's attacks and Throat Jabs missing my guys when they can't be seen. :)

Osmose is my second favorite spell in the game. First I can't mention because of spoilers.

There's only one boss I've killed by reducing his MP to 0. I'll point him out when we get to him.

Hope you'll show off Pog's Dances at some point. I enjoy that sort of thing.

I'll start working on Missed Monsters this weekend.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Phantom was the one Esper I used constantly, yeah. He makes some bosses like the guy at the end of the mine cart in Vector really trivial. Nothing can hit you.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Ultima Weapon is also the one point in the game that Runic is actually useful.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Re: the "organic" appearance, they really took me aback when I got to this part of the game. (Well, other than already knowing what it looks like...) You definitely get the impression that the Esper world is actually a lot weirder than some cave village.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Espers always disappointed me in combat. You could only summon them once and typically they didn't do much more damage than you could already do with magic.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Leavemywife posted:

Is it just me, or does the Floating Continent look kind of organic and fleshy?

You're not alone, Leave. It gives an endgame feel to the dungeon.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kevos Setzer posted:

You're not alone, Leave. It gives an endgame feel to the dungeon.

It IS the endgame. We're going to stop the Emperor and Kefka from reviving the Warring Triad and dooming the world. Lots of people have rumbled about the length of this game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Atma...I mean Ultima was enough of a dickhead that I usually didn't even bother trying to fight him the legit way. Rather just throw Reflect up on everyone (Carbuncle is a pretty good Esper too) and Rasp him until he dies of MP hemorrhage.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
I am one of those people who ate a behemoth's meteor after summoning. Also managed to mp kill Ultima weapon just by osmosing (osmosis?) Just trying to keep my health up.

Reinbach fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 31, 2017

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Cats like Kefka, huh?

Kefkats, if you will.

:v:

I'm a little surprised you haven't shown off the extra bits like where to best grind out magic points and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Going by memory, Osmose never seemed to work for me. Maybe I only ever used it in enemies with little or no MP. Rasp was cool though. Did any of the subsequent FFs use those spells?

• Locked thread