Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Going to replace the decking on my deck. Existing structure looks sound, and I'm not positive the deck will be in its current configuration in 4-7 years, so I'm going to do PT lumber again rather than composite just to keep cost down.

It's going to be 1x5.5" (true) PT lumber with a fair amount of angles to cut around a bay-window type bump out, and some odd angles to match up a main section to a pool deck, all at or under 45 degrees though.

1. Is this a reasonable saw to buy for the project? Currently priced OK, and way less than the 12" sliding one, which seems to just be heavier and a pain in the rear end for what I'd be doing. Probably also going to spring for the long rear end stand since I'll be using 12' boards.

2. Anyone ever used Camo brand fasteners? Seems like a reasonable system, and would let me rent a floor sander down the road if I wanted to resurface.

3. I'm probably going to get a dumpster or something delivered for the removed material. I calculated the volume of just wood (2.5 yards) but I'm wondering if someone has advice on how much over to estimate (nails exist and it's not like I'm going to be stacking the boards perfectly). Should I like double it?

Second two questions may not belong here but you guys seem pretty on the ball for this type of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

uwaeve posted:

1. Is this a reasonable saw to buy for the project? Currently priced OK, and way less than the 12" sliding one, which seems to just be heavier and a pain in the rear end for what I'd be doing. Probably also going to spring for the long rear end stand since I'll be using 12' boards.

I used this saw to build my workshop, and it works great. The only difficulty I've had with it is that it can be kind of hard to get the blade guard out of the way when I need to replace the blade, but that's frankly really minor.

You don't necessarily need to buy a saw stand. I used a sheet of plywood on some sawhorses, with a couple of 4x4 cutoffs as workpiece supports. But I'm sure the stand will work fine as well.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, the table is made to be at just the right height that a 2x4 on edge is flush with the table. With that in mind, I did this at my last place, sinking the thing in my workbench at exactly a 2x4's depth:

I highly recommend it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

uwaeve posted:

Going to replace the decking on my deck. Existing structure looks sound, and I'm not positive the deck will be in its current configuration in 4-7 years, so I'm going to do PT lumber again rather than composite just to keep cost down.

It's going to be 1x5.5" (true) PT lumber with a fair amount of angles to cut around a bay-window type bump out, and some odd angles to match up a main section to a pool deck, all at or under 45 degrees though.

a circular saw and speedsquare is perfectly acceptable for decks, unless you've got a compelling reason to have a miter saw. The compelling reason to have a miter saw is they're great and super accurate. Also, the circular saw is more portable to use and set up and about 1/3rd the cost.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

That was kinda my point, that the 18" probably won't work for you anyhow. Not only is it just not a big enough trencher, but you lose a few inches off the claimed maximum depth, usually. Call it backfill, scree, or one for the pan. Either way, 18" doesn't mean 18", even if that was deep enough. Hop on google maps and search for "equipment rental" or "machinery rental" or call a local landscaping place and ask about rentals. Home Depot and Lowe's do not count as landscaping places. You shouldn't have any trouble tracking down a 24" or even 36" trencher. Don't be intimidated by renting from a "real" equipment rental place: they rent to weekend warriors all the time just as much as the box stores.

Not with that kind of trencher, no way on earth. The way it works is the stinger goes in, and the machine crawls backwards, its wheels straddling where the trench will be. In order to do what you're describing, you'd need to make a trench at least as wide as the wheelbase. Which would mean multiple passes to widen it out, which this sort of trencher can't do, for a couple reasons: 1) on subsequent passes, the dirt wouldn't exist for the wheels to stand on, and 2) the stinger relies on the walls of the trench to hold the dirt on the chain as it gets pulled up.

You just need a properly-sized trencher is all.

Yeah I did some more searching and came up with exactly what you said. There's a place called SunBelt Rentals that has the size trencher I need for not much more. Now to find someone with a truck that can tow it for me...

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, the table is made to be at just the right height that a 2x4 on edge is flush with the table. With that in mind, I did this at my last place, sinking the thing in my workbench at exactly a 2x4's depth:

I highly recommend it.

This is awesome and I'm totally stealing that idea for my future workshop.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I've used sunbelt before, they're all right. At least in Des Moines, IA they are. And yeah, it will (or should) come with a trailer, but as you said, you need to be able to tow. They probably have a delivery option? But for a small piece of equipment like that, it may well double your cost.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Make sure you leave enough room to swing the saw through the angles you'll want to cut. It's hard to tell in that photo but I'm not sure there's enough room to do a 45-degree cut.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There is, it's far enough forward. Just barely. :D

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

I've used sunbelt before, they're all right. At least in Des Moines, IA they are. And yeah, it will (or should) come with a trailer, but as you said, you need to be able to tow. They probably have a delivery option? But for a small piece of equipment like that, it may well double your cost.

Right on all counts. They provide a trailer free of charge, or they can deliver it. To rent it for the day is $225. To have it delivered would be $145 each way.

Finding a truck wouldn't be so bad, except Sunbelt isn't open on weekends(!). So I have to find someone that can pick it up on Friday and drop it off on Monday again. That sucks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

$145! Ha! I was expecting more like 60-80 each way at most. Are you way the heck out there or something? In any event, keep googling, I promise there are places open on the weekend. From the sound of your job, a half-day should do, unless your ground is heavy in clay (ugh) or just straight up hardpan (lol good luck every digging your trench with anything short of an excavator, a jackhammer, and/or explosives.) You'll still have to figure out transportation, either for cash or beer depending on who does it, but there are other options besides sunbelt.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
What about a local non-chain rental company? And where are you located?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, same, I prefer the local places. I think they tend to have better hours, a wider selection of gear, and it's generally in better shape. None of that applies to the tiny corner shop that has a sad little 1000 sq ft yard full of equipment dating back to the 80s, of course. :v:

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Are you way the heck out there or something?

sharkytm posted:

What about a local non-chain rental company? And where are you located?

I'm about 40 miles NW of Boston. I'll keep looking around for rental places.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

South Shore, eh? :v: I'm on the Cape, and would help out if you were close.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

South Shore, eh? :v: I'm on the Cape, and would help out if you were close.

haha yeah. I actually lived in Brockton for a while, but the nick predates that. It was from a drunken night when we were making fun of Quincy, if I recall.

Anyway I found this: http://www.mackayhardwareandrental.com/SiteSearch/tabid/100748/keyword/trench/Default.aspx

I'll call tomorrow and see if it's actually available. Fingers crossed!

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Depending how north or west you are, Taylor Rentalbususlly has reasonable rates.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Same here, I've used Taylor, Home Depot in Tewksbury/Leominster, and Rip It Up rental (Leominster, I think attached to Powell Stone?) for smaller stuff, not sure if those leads help.

Mr. Mambold posted:

a circular saw and speedsquare is perfectly acceptable for decks, unless you've got a compelling reason to have a miter saw. The compelling reason to have a miter saw is they're great and super accurate. Also, the circular saw is more portable to use and set up and about 1/3rd the cost.

I agree that it's not needed, it's a nice to have. I think I have talked myself into grabbing a miter saw regardless of this project, but this is probably the most demanding thing I'll be doing with it. It's more "am I missing something out there for similar money that has some can't-live-without features," and a sanity check that I'll be able to do up to 1x5.5" and 4x4" at 45 degrees and under. I have fondled some in stores that have the capacity of a slider but it's on a 4-bar linkage or something, it may be Makita or Bosch. I've compared the manuals and it seems like DeWalt just does what is expected, I think it's the Makita 12" non-slider that you have to start removing subfences for routine poo poo or you risk interfering with the blade... no thanks. I'm sure they'll all work, but I've also read good things about the LED light guide as opposed to a laser. I have a lovely old no-name miter saw with a bent 1-piece cast fence.

Same with the stand: a nice-to-have thing. I don't currently plan on setting this up in a workshop as shown in Bad Munki's post, that's for down the road. Mainly I just want something for dimensional lumber up to 2x6 at 45 at this point.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

uwaeve posted:

and a sanity check that I'll be able to do up to 1x5.5" and 4x4" at 45 degrees and under.

You can. I'm pretty sure you can do 2x8s at a slight angle, though I'm not sure about 45; 2x6s you definitely can do at 45.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

haha yeah. I actually lived in Brockton for a while, but the nick predates that. It was from a drunken night when we were making fun of Quincy, if I recall.

Anyway I found this: http://www.mackayhardwareandrental.com/SiteSearch/tabid/100748/keyword/trench/Default.aspx

I'll call tomorrow and see if it's actually available. Fingers crossed!

That's just an attachment for another piece of equipment, not a full-blown trencher itself. That goes on one of those little walk-behind (or stand-behind) bucket loader type deals, so you'd need to rent the loader as well. Sorry :(

Looks like the dingo itself is $165/8 hours.

e: But hey, get the dingo and have some fun with it over the weekend...they're not as fun as a full-on skid loader, but they're not awful :v:

ee: You're just laying some cable or something, right? Have you considered skipping the trench and just using a vibro plow?

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 31, 2017

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
It's electrical from the pole. I have to lay the conduit, not just wire.

Mass is apparently one of the few states where the power company only goes to the pole. Otherwise they may have done it for a cheap price.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Taylor rental is decent, depending on the location. Sunbelt is nicer great, but pricier in my experience.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Lifted up the floorboards downstairs and in what is becoming a pattern for this house found something underneath:

The original owner also built it (in 1908) so I'm guessing this is some "tool that built the house" voodoo.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

What prompted you to remove the floorboards, a mysterious hammering sound? :ohdear:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peepsalot posted:

What prompted you to remove the floorboards, a mysterious hammering sound? :ohdear:

Don't be superstitious, it was the wails of petrified children.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

(used child's shoe found in the ceiling of the same room)

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
That hammer would live on my coffee table for eternity.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Arachnamus posted:

Lifted up the floorboards downstairs and in what is becoming a pattern for this house found something underneath:

The original owner also built it (in 1908) so I'm guessing this is some "tool that built the house" voodoo.

1908 AD?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arachnamus posted:

That looks like a hammer from ancient Rome.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Arachnamus posted:

Fantastic joiners mallet. Hang it on the wall.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Breaking up mallet chat for a quick belt sander chat:

I need a belt sander for occasional furniture refinishing because I don't feel like messing around with a palm sander to, for example, get 50 years of stain, stickers, stains, and other bullshit off a pair of kid's beds that I want to refurb.

I've only ever used a POS craftsman from the 70s, so my bar is not set very high, but am I going to be happy with the $50 offerings from Skil, Ryobi, or B&D, or should I bite the bullet and spend more like $125-50 for something yellow, red, or blue?

I don't want a piece of crap, but I'm also not going to be using this on fine hand-joined hardwood pieces that I've spent all winter working on, so it doesn't need to be great. Just something solid for occasional use.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Handheld belt sander?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

stealie72 posted:

Breaking up mallet chat for a quick belt sander chat:

I need a belt sander for occasional furniture refinishing because I don't feel like messing around with a palm sander to, for example, get 50 years of stain, stickers, stains, and other bullshit off a pair of kid's beds that I want to refurb.

I've only ever used a POS craftsman from the 70s, so my bar is not set very high, but am I going to be happy with the $50 offerings from Skil, Ryobi, or B&D, or should I bite the bullet and spend more like $125-50 for something yellow, red, or blue?

I don't want a piece of crap, but I'm also not going to be using this on fine hand-joined hardwood pieces that I've spent all winter working on, so it doesn't need to be great. Just something solid for occasional use.

I've been jonesing for one of the Ridgid combination belt/spindle sanders. For what I do it would be perfect, but I'm not sure if that is the type of tool that you are looking for. I think it would be easier than something handheld though.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, sorry, handheld belt sander, not a bench one.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I've done ok with my 15 year old ryobi 3x18. But then again I've never used a nice one.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I like my Ridgid? I don't think it was expensive.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

Taylor rental is decent, depending on the location. Sunbelt is nicer great, but pricier in my experience.

Called them today. Rental is $220 for the day, delivery would be $22 each way. That's looking like the winner. Now if I can manage to avoid hitting the existing conduit...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It's not really a tool, but as new homeowners my wife and I are quickly finding we need more space to store all of the tools and landscaping stuff we're accumulating. We don't have a garage and our crawlspace is a pain in the rear end to access.

We're looking for about an 8'x12' shed with a door or double doors that open on the wider 12' side. What I want to know is what everyone recommends in terms of material recommendations: metal (don't really want it), wood, or plastic/resin? Also, any suggestions for manufacturers or brands? We're not completely rigid on the idea of a 8x12 and would entertain other sizes as well, but at least 8' in one dimension.

It will be located against a ~6' wooden privacy fence in a heavily shaded area.

If there's a better thread for this sort of thing, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I did that for my dad's workbench. I actually cut the shelf about 1/16" below where the saw deck would be flush on purpose. I put in carriage bolts for the saw feet to rest on, then bought a handful of washers to go around the bolts. I bought a handful of varying widths too. That way, leveling the saw is as easy as swapping out washers.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Called them today. Rental is $220 for the day, delivery would be $22 each way. That's looking like the winner. Now if I can manage to avoid hitting the existing conduit...

You called 811, right? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Yep. Called them yesterday.

I'm still terrified of hitting a line that they didn't mark right. I had planned on digging the trench like 2 feet away from the existing line. Is that enough, do you think?