Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Guys I did a thing and it works! Why are moving platforms so drat hard???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The only trouble I had with moving platforms was just working out the mapping convention for easily defining where they move to without having to insert tons of manual distance values. The actual logic was pretty easy, if you've already got a simple 2d physics system going on.

I also did falling blocks first as like a subset of moving platforms, and then built up to back-forth moving platforms from there.

drat your art is so pretty :allears:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kinnas posted:

Godspeed and never give up!

Not to say that any of what I said should be considered advice. It's as much incredible luck as anything else that we've managed any of this and there's many opportunities for luck to still run out, fingers loving crossed.

Anyhoo - DISCO!

Looking so pretty!

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Some more progress footage on western game. Got some very obviously placeholder SFX going
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3solw3OpMbU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dewgy posted:

Nice! I'm working in Love2D and doing a lot of the engine type stuff by hand, since I want to go for more of a 32-bit PSX-ish aesthetic, so it'll be a while before mine looks anywhere near to what you've got going so far.

I'm running into some more uh, shall we say, fundamental issues. Like rotation. :v:

Awww yiss, I fixed it. :neckbeard:

e: And added real-time lighting kind of, with Z variation. I should probably go to bed.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 30, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you guys know of any >decent< greeble generator for textures?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Decided to take a break from developing the combat system for my own mental health. Figured would be a good chance to work on the UI, but as I have no real artistic talents would any of you be kind enough to let me know if I'm doing something incredibly wrong here design wise?

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

Omi no Kami posted:

I really like the direction you're going with this, it looks lonely and oppressive as heck, the sprite style kind of reminds me of side-scrolling Don't Starve. This may not gel with your art style, but something we had a lot of good results with when we experimented with parallax was projecting the "active" layer that contained all the NPCs and interactive content orthographically, then capturing the foreground/background with a second perspective camera. We ended up discarding that because we wanted pixel-perfect sprites, which was much easier to achieve with an orthographic camera, but the perspective idea gave us a lot of bang for minimal effort.

Also, purely due to my own weird sense of humor, when I look at your screenshots I expect him to approach a turtle stuck on its back at any moment and fail the Voight-Kampff test.

Thanks! Oppressive is definitely the tone I'm aiming for! Incidentally, that orthographic/perspective thing is actually something I gave a shot as well, though I wound up going with a single perspective cam just because it was easier to manage with a similar parallax effect for the background layers. :v:

Incidentally my nerd cred took a hit today when I had to google what the Voight-Kampff test was - :P Sounds like I'm gonna have to inject some more personality in my little survivor over time to avoid him looking like a replicant, eh?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Bert of the Forest posted:

Thanks! Oppressive is definitely the tone I'm aiming for! Incidentally, that orthographic/perspective thing is actually something I gave a shot as well, though I wound up going with a single perspective cam just because it was easier to manage with a similar parallax effect for the background layers. :v:

Incidentally my nerd cred took a hit today when I had to google what the Voight-Kampff test was - :P Sounds like I'm gonna have to inject some more personality in my little survivor over time to avoid him looking like a replicant, eh?

Yeah, I think there's a lot of potential return in the orthograhic/perspective thing, but at least in our case we ultimately decided to build our entire art pipeline around micromanaging the assets down to the pixel level, so we could do as much work as possible on the fabrication side and minimize time spent fiddling with it in-engine.

And I think he actually looks just fine as far as human vs. synth goes... I was only reminded of blade runner because of the setting. :) In the very beginning they're testing a guy to see if he's capable of feeling emotions (and thus human), and basically ask him "You're walking in a desert, and you see a turtle on its back. It's hot, and the turtle is dying, but you don't flip him over. Why aren't you helping, Leon?"

So when I see hot desert with hopeless wanderers, my brain jumps right back to the poor turtle. XD

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009
I should really post in this thread more often, all these positive comment are really motivating :3:

Dewgy posted:

Nice! I'm working in Love2D and doing a lot of the engine type stuff by hand, since I want to go for more of a 32-bit PSX-ish aesthetic, so it'll be a while before mine looks anywhere near to what you've got going so far.

I'm running into some more uh, shall we say, fundamental issues. Like rotation. :v:

Haha, I can't imagine the potential for loving up if i had to deal with engine level stuff too. My bugs don't tend to look quite as entertaining though.

hit button posted:

That looks really nice, but the static cloud background makes it feel like the terrain is rotating rather than the player's viewpoint moving. Having the clouds scroll horizontally to match the rotation would make a world of difference imo.
That's definitely on the list, but now that this thing is progressing a bit beyond the "mucking around" phase that list is ballooning up distressingly quickly. Stuff get's complex surprisingly quick!

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Came up with a temp/possibly final name for my little Desert Survival side project:

A little generic maybe, but it does seem to get across the tone/setting pretty well in one word. I dunno, definitely want a title that will later be clickable for those scrolling through their inboxes, but for the meantime this is what I've been calling it for the sake of easy reference to others. Made the title card too because I wanted to try out the cool "sun exposure" treatment for the "O" that was in my head. Did I mention I can be really bad at prioritizing?

Just implemented some new assets as well today after finishin' up my Deeper work. Giant rocks for shade, cacti for scavengable resources, and some UI!

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

retro sexual posted:

20 people?! How does this work for you? That's like having a band with 20 people in it

i'm guessing they mostly have real well-defined roles? I mean, look at those cool textures, i tend to think that someone who took the time and care and craft to make those wasn't also devoting a ton of headspace to thinking about the one god drat bug no one can figure out how to fix in the conversation system, or whatever. Might be projecting here haha

FuzzySlippers posted:

These kind of posts are great. My sister helps out on some of this and she has a BFA so even if I'm a little dodgy on some of it she is able to translate.

OK cool! Take the other person's advice on implementation, i don't know poo poo from shaders. Simulating CMYK in a shader will be a lot better for getting a coherent look than just trying to pick colors that "look" CMYK, though obviously it's gonna cause times when the output isn't what you expected and you're not sure whehter you hosed up or in what part of the process. But if you're making games you have definitely gained the ability to cope with that.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Hello there. I'm working on this pseudo surreal adventure game and just threw together this comparison picture of an old and revamped version of the title screen:

still not quite done yet, though. that castle needs a new coat of paint, too.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

New Dungeon Left, Old Dungeon Right

I'm trying to convert as many voxel things as I can into flat probuilder polies. The images won't look the same, but I am hoping to make it look cleaner and run faster. I can't get more than 1 shadowed light without slowing down, so functional sparseness is totally my goal.

anothergod fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 31, 2017

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

anothergod posted:

New Dungeon Left, Old Dungeon Right

I'm trying to convert as many voxel things as I can into flat probuilder polies. The images won't look the same, but I am hoping to make it look cleaner and run faster. I can't get more than 1 shadowed light without slowing down, so functional sparseness is totally my goal.

Just wanted to mention that the Left Dungeon is a lot more clear in both color and mood, I really like it :). I think making it less busy also made it more clear.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Anyone know a good hands on package or something for picking up blender? I'm just going to be working with simple shapes and models, nothing too complex, and porting to Unity.

Only thing I've really found is CGCookie.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

InevitableCheese posted:

Anyone know a good hands on package or something for picking up blender? I'm just going to be working with simple shapes and models, nothing too complex, and porting to Unity.

Blender Guru's beginner tutorial series on Youtube (the donut and coffee cup one) is really great and got me to be good enough with Blender that I can go into any Intermediate-level tutorial and not be lost with what's going on. I did it last January and posted about itt iirc.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
https://cloud.blender.org/p/game-asset-creation/

or on steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/373020/Blender_Game_Asset_Creation/

10 bucks either way I think. Blender cloud gets you whatever else is up there as well and goes towards keeping blender chugging I think. Not sure, not a subscriber myself.

It's the best overall introduction to game asset creation for blender I've seen out there. In a nice steady pace it starts our from the basic concepts of the blender interface and goes over modeling, UVs, baking maps, texturing and so on. From doing hands on 3d to musing over general best practices a bit. The TF2 hat being a simple yet complex enough asset to cover most everything. High rec :coffee:

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

InevitableCheese posted:

I had some success following http://www.gamefromscratch.com/page/Complete-Blender-Game-Art-Tutorial-From-zero-experience-to-2D-or-3D-game-ready-asset.aspx

You may have to troubleshoot some broken links but I did manage to find all the pages at some point.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So I've hit another fun bug but this time I have no idea how to fix it. Tried the Löve forums, but no luck just yet, maybe someone here will have a better idea.

Link to the L2D forums post for more info: https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=83996

Short version is Z sorting of my sets of triangles seems to be working just fine, EXCEPT when I actually have a matching depth conflict. If two (or more) triangles are at the same depth, they get jumbled up when going out to the render mesh, and I have no idea why apart from the fact that I know that's a special handling case. (The two triangles get lumped together in a table and then pushed back in an arbitrary order, which shouldn't matter for how Love handles mesh rendering in "triangles" mode. Plus that's pretty much how I handled all the other triangles in the set.)

Offsetting my rotation by .001 degrees kind of works, but it's a flaky enough solution that I don't trust it, and I know it'll just cause the issue to crop back up once my maps get more complicated.

Screenshots and a gif:

Borked:

Working:

Greyscale version:

(Notice that somehow there's values being set for G and B, but not R for affected triangles???)

Gif: https://gfycat.com/QualifiedShrillBunny

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Gettin' my Gif on again while puttin together a reel. Turns out taking video footage and then converting it into a gif format gets you waaay better framerates for gifs if you have a bad machine like mine that has a hard time using GoonCam and playing a game at the same time. Look, you can actually see my little sand particles now!

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Dewgy posted:

So I've hit another fun bug but this time I have no idea how to fix it. Tried the Löve forums, but no luck just yet, maybe someone here will have a better idea.

Link to the L2D forums post for more info: https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=83996

Short version is Z sorting of my sets of triangles seems to be working just fine, EXCEPT when I actually have a matching depth conflict. If two (or more) triangles are at the same depth, they get jumbled up when going out to the render mesh, and I have no idea why apart from the fact that I know that's a special handling case. (The two triangles get lumped together in a table and then pushed back in an arbitrary order, which shouldn't matter for how Love handles mesh rendering in "triangles" mode. Plus that's pretty much how I handled all the other triangles in the set.)

Offsetting my rotation by .001 degrees kind of works, but it's a flaky enough solution that I don't trust it, and I know it'll just cause the issue to crop back up once my maps get more complicated.

Screenshots and a gif:

Borked:

Working:

Greyscale version:

(Notice that somehow there's values being set for G and B, but not R for affected triangles???)

Gif: https://gfycat.com/QualifiedShrillBunny

I don't have any particular Love2d/Lua experience, but I've done low-level OpenGL stuff and my guess is the triangles aren't rendering because they're being put into the list in the opposite order, effectively reversing their winding order.
See https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/Face_Culling for why this might be a problem.

e: woops, I missed that you were doing tris and not vertices. Silly me. Still, check your assumption that the order doesn't matter - just because one arbitrary order always works doesn't mean another arbitrary order won't always not work.

Lowen fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 1, 2017

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lowen posted:

I don't have any particular Love2d/Lua experience, but I've done low-level OpenGL stuff and my guess is the triangles aren't rendering because they're being put into the list in the opposite order, effectively reversing their winding order.
See https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/Face_Culling for why this might be a problem.

e: woops, I missed that you were doing tris and not vertices. Silly me. Still, check your assumption that the order doesn't matter - just because one arbitrary order always works doesn't mean another arbitrary order won't always not work.

Yeah, I think that's part of my problem. What's weirding me out though is this only happens when I have multiple triangles for the same Z result, so I feel like the problem's in my sorting code and not in the fact that I'm jumbling triangles all over the place, since outside this one exception it seems to not give half a crap about the render order. I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing differently there in my code that would cause it to get all screwy though.

e: Oh yeah, should also point out that I don't think there's any clockwise culling going on. I did have that implemented at one point but I'm holding off until I start running into performance issues, which may never happen if I keep my triangle count down to a couple of thousand at most.

more e: gently caress yeah, fixed it! Love forums post has the fix, but basically the problem was I was returning the contents of the result tables more than once when there were multiple triangles with the same Z. Now it makes sure to only have one table per result, and only call for that table one time when putting out triangles.

I feel super psyched that I managed to fix this. :dance:

Look at dem properly sorted jaggy bastards. :3:

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 1, 2017

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Dewgy posted:

Yeah, I think that's part of my problem. What's weirding me out though is this only happens when I have multiple triangles for the same Z result, so I feel like the problem's in my sorting code and not in the fact that I'm jumbling triangles all over the place, since outside this one exception it seems to not give half a crap about the render order. I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing differently there in my code that would cause it to get all screwy though.

e: Oh yeah, should also point out that I don't think there's any clockwise culling going on. I did have that implemented at one point but I'm holding off until I start running into performance issues, which may never happen if I keep my triangle count down to a couple of thousand at most.

more e: gently caress yeah, fixed it! Love forums post has the fix, but basically the problem was I was returning the contents of the result tables more than once when there were multiple triangles with the same Z. Now it makes sure to only have one table per result, and only call for that table one time when putting out triangles.

I feel super psyched that I managed to fix this. :dance:

Look at dem properly sorted jaggy bastards. :3:

Nice! I was also working on this because it took my interest (I've never done Lua or LOVE). I made a simpler fix totally by accident somehow by simplifying the logic in the version you posted:
code:
 		if pairsTable[averageZ] == nil then
			pairsTable[averageZ] = {}
			table.insert(zValueTable,averageZ)
		end
		table.insert(pairsTable[averageZ],tri)
I'm not sure why, but this also fixes the issue.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lowen posted:

Nice! I was also working on this because it took my interest (I've never done Lua or LOVE). I made a simpler fix totally by accident somehow by simplifying the logic in the version you posted:
code:
 		if pairsTable[averageZ] == nil then
			pairsTable[averageZ] = {}
			table.insert(zValueTable,averageZ)
		end
		table.insert(pairsTable[averageZ],tri)
I'm not sure why, but this also fixes the issue.

Oh wow, yeah yours is way better! When I was writing this originally I did have something similar with an "if table[result] == nil" check, but it was causing my vert count to increase by almost 7x somehow (went from 300 verts in to over 2000 out), which caused a crash when it fed into the mesh, which stopped when I did the "if not table[result] == nil" rewrite.

What exactly did I do back then that you aren't doing here? I dunno! But it works, thanks! :D

Mind if I repost your fix (with credit) to the Love forums?

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 1, 2017

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Dewgy posted:

Oh wow, yeah yours is way better! When I was writing this originally I did have something similar with an "if table[result] == nil" check, but it was causing my vert count to increase by almost 7x somehow (went from 300 verts in to over 2000 out), which caused a crash when it fed into the mesh, which stopped when I did the "if not table[result] == nil" rewrite.

What exactly did I do back then that you aren't doing here? I dunno! But it works, thanks! :D

Mind if I repost your fix (with credit) to the Love forums?

Not at all, go right ahead.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Steam Direct publishing fee is a recoupable $100.

quote:

Back when we announced Steam Direct in February, we hadn't decided how much developers would need to pay to publish their games. We knew that we wanted it to be as small as possible to ensure it wasn't a barrier to beginning game developers, while also not being so small as to invite easy abuse by people looking to exploit our systems. We thought it would be great if the game community at large had a conversation about it, including both players and developers, which was why we chose not to highlight a specific amount in that original post.

Since then, we've seen a bunch of great conversations discussing the various pros and cons of whether there should be an amount, what that amount should be, ways that recouping could work, which developers would be helped or hurt, predictions for how the store would be affected, and many other facets to the decision. There were rational & convincing arguments made for both ends of the $100-$5000 spectrum we mentioned. Our internal thinking beforehand had us hovering around the $500 mark, but the community conversation really challenged us to justify why the fee wasn't as low as possible, and to think about what we could do to make a low fee work.

So in the end, we've decided we're going to aim for the lowest barrier to developers as possible, with a $100 recoupable publishing fee per game, while at the same time work on features designed to help the Store algorithm become better at helping you sift through games. We're going to look for specific places where human eyes can be injected into the Store algorithm, to ensure that it is working as intended, and to ensure it doesn't miss something interesting. We're also going to closely monitor the kinds of game submissions we're receiving, so that we're ready to implement more features like the the Trading Card changes we covered in the last blog post, which aim to reduce the financial incentives for bad actors to game the store algorithm.

We believe that if we inject human thinking into the Store algorithm, while at the same time increasing the transparency of its output, we'll have created a public process that will incrementally drive the Store to better serve everyone using it.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

For those that think that $100 is too low, it's higher than the current system of $0 incremental cost after you're in the system. Lower than the greenlight fee since you get the $100 back after you make sales.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah isn't the current gl price $100?

That's kind of a relief, I was expecting something a lot more prohibitive, but this means if I ever feel satisfied with a project I can at least take a chance on it.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Huh. While I'm glad it isn't $5,000 (that price point is dumb), I feel kind of disappointed, almost. I was expecting $500.

I mean, I'm glad it's $100. But I feel that Steam's intention isn't to filter out the trash, but to profit off of the asset flippers that get dropped instead.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I've got a Unity shader question that seems simple but I have no idea how to approach it. I need to create a quad that I can put between the camera and an object and have it blur out. However I need this blur to be constrained to a circle in the middle of the quad and have it fade out to clear as it gets near the edge of the quad. How would I go about doing this?

I tried a refraction shader using a faded edge circle as a material but the transparent parts were still distorted.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Yodzilla posted:

I've got a Unity shader question that seems simple but I have no idea how to approach it. I need to create a quad that I can put between the camera and an object and have it blur out. However I need this blur to be constrained to a circle in the middle of the quad and have it fade out to clear as it gets near the edge of the quad. How would I go about doing this?

I tried a refraction shader using a faded edge circle as a material but the transparent parts were still distorted.

Do a cutout shader on the part that's supposed to be visible, blur that, then overlay it on the full scene?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Their logic makes sense to me at least. An iterative $100 per game cost (versus the greenlight 1 time $100) cost would greatly cut into the profit margin of asset flippers, and by expanding the curator system seems like a good way to leverage the existing game critic community to cover the curation of the marketplace. At least in theory. Unless Valve actually delivers the curator changes they promised I doubt we'll see any major impact on the visibility scale.

On an unrelated note, has anyone been to PAX Dev before? Is it worth the cost/trip to meet some local game-dev people if I'm considering moving up there in a short bit, or should I just go for Pax West? I'm not particularly interested in the talks.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I'm sure Valve has good intentions with their Curator system, but it sounds like they're just giving greenlight scammers a way to officially entrench themselves into the system. "Give us 5000 steam keys to sell to reseller websites and we'll show your game to our community which has 13 active members and 15,000 Russian bot accounts."

Since Steam will soon be even easier to publish to, I'm expecting an uptick in the number of articles/reddit posts that look like: My game titled "Game Maker: I spent a weekend following a tutorial and this is the result" only sold 1 copy (thanks mom), is this the indieacalypse?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Most indies from this part of the world are happy 'cause well $100 is decent, but I still think they could have gone higher. I mean if you're not confident enough in your game that recouping 500 bucks is an issue, maybe you're not ready for how expensive gamedev really is. And if you want to release it for free, there's itch.io and other platforms. There's still going to be 100+ games released weekly, and a significant percentage of that being utter poo poo you have to dig through to get to decent games. Oh well, here's to hoping their QA will be more hands-on. E: Assuming there will be any kind of human QA done on the entries, which I don't remember if they ever addressed or not.

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 2, 2017

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Most scam games don't actually profit off the store, so just having any per-game cost will probably hamper that somewhat.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

shs posted:

I'm sure Valve has good intentions with their Curator system, but it sounds like they're just giving greenlight scammers a way to officially entrench themselves into the system. "Give us 5000 steam keys to sell to reseller websites and we'll show your game to our community which has 13 active members and 15,000 Russian bot accounts."
Those will be pretty easy to sweep into a bucket, without a strong profit motive (which there won't be, if they're getting rid of card scamming).

EDIT: VV Yeah, it should still significantly reduce noise. This is completely net positive. All the scammers that would scam this system are already scamming Greenlight to hell and back (via this weird trading card racket that feeds into key sales), so worst case, that just stays the same.

I'm reeaaaaaally skeptical upping the fee would help. I mean yes, it would cut down on a lot of noise, but also a lot of actually good content from actual developers in, you know, poor countries. Is that net good? I would said definitely not, because you haven't actually fixed the noise problem.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 3, 2017

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Having never launched a game on Steam I don't exactly know how it works, but I'm guessing it would still be preferable not to have to compete with 15 asset-flips cobbled together over a week-end in Mother Russia. Shalinor, any thoughts on that?

It might seem like an elitist and unpopular move, but maybe upping the fee would have had a beneficial effect on the market as a whole, driving smaller devs to places like Itch.io which would take a small bite out of Steam's dominance. Ahem, not that they'd want that.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It occurs to me that I've not posted about what I've been working on this year, despite having a beta release last month. Probably because it's not actually a game itself, but a map generator for an existing game (Dominions 4). I'm quite pleased with it though, considering the restrictions of Dom4's format. A screenshot:

Text link.

I also wrote a piece this week on how it works.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr Underhill posted:

It might seem like an elitist and unpopular move, but maybe upping the fee would have had a beneficial effect on the market as a whole, driving smaller devs to places like Itch.io which would take a small bite out of Steam's dominance. Ahem, not that they'd want that.

how big is itch really, though? my impression of it is that it's where a fairly microcosmic community uploads various gamejam projects, then something bigger once in a while, and maybe they get a couple bucks from it from other people with the same idea. it always struck me as the kind of place that's known to the people who upload things to it, but has low visibility to, or at least low traffic from, the general public.