Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This ugly house in my neighbourhood drives me nuts. It's hard to tell from the google street angle but the door isn't quite centered, it's like 1' off to the right.
You can tell when looking straight-on but it's like this

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh my god did you guys know there's a :grovertoot: smiley

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

PainterofCrap posted:

My next-door neighbor is goon and carpenter RivuletsofGlop, employed by a developer that rehabs & flips repo homes in south Jersey.

Last week while working on a deck, he found this GFCI in a weather enclosure, attached to the rear elevation of the house.

It was still working. The indicator light was still lit...although he didn't try to actually test or use it.

We're trying to ID the manufacturer so that we can send them a testimonial.

Yeah uh.. light being lit on that particular means it's tripped. Still impressive though... how many fires has that thing been through? :v:

Pretty sure that's a Cooper outlet. I have the same ones in my kitchen.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:eyepop:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
As a contrast to the bourgie crackhouse renovators, here's a rando dude on Reddit who saved a bunch of money by doing his homework and getting a second opinion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6ebmyq/if_you_are_buying_a_house_with_iffy_foundation/
If you are buying a house with iffy foundation, get a structural engineer to look at the house. It saved me a lot of money (self.personalfinance)
submitted 1 day ago by InvestingDoc
77 commentsshare

quote:

I thought that I would post my story since it may help some other first time home buyers save some money and hopefully avoid a money pit. I almost bought a half a million dollar money pit but a $600 fee from a structural engineer saved me.
I'm currently located in a HCOL city Austin, TX. I've been looking at buying a starter home, which in central Austin is about 400-500k for a 2/1 up to a 3/2 the farther out you go maybe 5-6 miles from downtown. Many of these houses were built in the 1940's to 1980's and have foundation issues. I kept being told by my agent not to worry, that this is common.
I found a property that I loved and put in an offer that was quickly accepted. There was some sloping of the house, which everyone told me was normal for an old pier and beam house. There also were some cracks in the walls that were indicative of foundation issues.
I had a foundation repair man come out and he gave me a written quote to "shim" the house at $4,000. This means that he felt the house needed only to be jacked up with shims placed underneath to keep it lifted. I felt that something wasn't right with the quote and decided to get a structural engineer to look at it.
This structural engineer came in, spent 3 hours assessing the house and gave me a very detailed written assessment. He was dirty as hell since he crawled under the house drawing detailed diagrams of the foundation and support structures. He informed me that 1/3 of floor supporting beams were broken and needed repair. An area over the kitchen has some sagging in the roof of about half a inch which was due to the owner removing a load bearing wall without proper support. He also noted that the garage foundation was of such poor quality that it was literally pulling away from the house. If not remedied, he expected the garage to fully detach from the house in the future. All in, he called another foundation company that he works closely with and informed me that the house needed > $20,000 in repairs plus the costs of moving pipes to get under the house. This didn't include any residual damage from lifting the house 2-3 inches from the "settling" that occurred.
This structural engineer also pointed out where the owner put in new grout and tile to cover previous cracks and put in caulk at some crack points and painted over them in an effort to hide the true damage. This was not disclosed on the seller disclosure and to be frank, pissed me off.
Needless to say, this was the best $600 I ever spent in my life because I almost spent half a million on a property that has serious foundation issues and is in need of desperate repair.
I terminated my contract today and went out to have a beer since I potentially just saved a ton of money and headache not purchasing that house.
TLDR; foundation repair guys/gals may not know what a house truly needs done to it and always be skeptical of a low estimate. A structural engineer will assess a house and write a prescription for how to remedy any deficiencies. The foundation repair guys then carries out those recommendations. If you have any concern about the foundation, consider hiring a structural engineer.

Good catch, random homebuyer dude.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo. I knew Austin was more expensive than the rest of TX (I'm in DFW), but half a mil for a 2/1 starter home? :stonk:

I thought DFW had gotten expensive. gently caress.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

canyoneer posted:

As a contrast to the bourgie crackhouse renovators, here's a rando dude on Reddit who saved a bunch of money by doing his homework and getting a second opinion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6ebmyq/if_you_are_buying_a_house_with_iffy_foundation/
If you are buying a house with iffy foundation, get a structural engineer to look at the house. It saved me a lot of money (self.personalfinance)
77 commentsshare

I had a subsidence problem that was missed by the surveyor because the owner had gone to the effort of stripping back and re-plastering to hide the visible cracks and the line of the crack was such that you couldn't see it anywhere else up until it started moving again. Eventually turned into a ~10mm crack right through the building which fortunately was covered on insurance.

Root cause: literally no foundation on the back addition which was sitting on two courses of bricks on sandy ground.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Holy poo poo. I knew Austin was more expensive than the rest of TX (I'm in DFW), but half a mil for a 2/1 starter home? :stonk:

I thought DFW had gotten expensive. gently caress.

Nah, that's a little misleading. I was just looking at austin houses a couple months ago because a buddy moved there and is thinking of buying in the next couple of years. There are plenty of decent houses in Austin for $300k or so. The issue is that it's a sprawling texan city and this dude is looking solely at homes very near downtown.

Houses (not condos or apartments or townhomes or land) $300k or less:
https://www.redfin.com/city/30818/TX/Austin/filter/property-type=house,max-price=300k

Example: $240k, 3/2, 1700 square feet, detached 2007 ranch style house with yard:
https://www.redfin.com/TX/Austin/5409-Parkcrest-Dr-78731/home/31085752
The catch: 7 miles from downtown.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Video tour of the "quality" of a 1.3million dollar new vancouver condo, holy poo poo. Starts off more nit-picky quality things, but gets into serious electrical poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j3SChqp51Y

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 2, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah uh, some of those prices are still painful compared to what I'm used to seeing.

The $240k house looks like a decent deal, and 7 miles from downtown doesn't seem bad to me... but then I remember how horrific 35 is down there.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

Nah, that's a little misleading. I was just looking at austin houses a couple months ago because a buddy moved there and is thinking of buying in the next couple of years. There are plenty of decent houses in Austin for $300k or so. The issue is that it's a sprawling texan city and this dude is looking solely at homes very near downtown.

Houses (not condos or apartments or townhomes or land) $300k or less:
https://www.redfin.com/city/30818/TX/Austin/filter/property-type=house,max-price=300k

Example: $240k, 3/2, 1700 square feet, detached 2007 ranch style house with yard:
https://www.redfin.com/TX/Austin/5409-Parkcrest-Dr-78731/home/31085752
The catch: 7 miles from downtown.

Fax is buying a house?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Baronjutter posted:

Video tour of the "quality" of a 1.3million dollar new vancouver condo, holy poo poo. Starts off more nit-picky quality things, but gets into serious electrical poo poo.

oh my god the always-on lamp

when i was doing my led stuff in my house and the wall switches stopped really being useful i was like "huh, i guess i could just bypass the switch and- lol no that sounds like an impossibly bad idea and also probably super illegal."

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Arachnamus posted:

Bit late for that

Now, that's a fire!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Now, that's a fire!
Good for cooking brontosaurus burgers!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

More Vancouver condo construction quality

Keep in mind this is all at prices where a 1br is like 600k

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

oh, for content...

i still get e-mail updates about real estate listings, i could unsubscribe but it's interesting. new listing today.

"And in this room we have the kitchen."

"What's that room?"

"The rest of the kitchen."

like i get it, you had a tiny kitchen and got sick of it, but that is not how you fix that

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

77 commentsshare

Any bets on if the sellers will disclose this additional information to other potential buyers, as I'm pretty sure they're legally required to do? :v:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baronjutter posted:

As a lifelong renter, the only things I would even have noticed are the always on lamp and maybe the sparking light switches. I might have noticed the floor was easily dinged and let my landlord know so it wouldn't count against my damage deposit, but I certainly wouldn't require that it be replaced immediately.

It was a little bizarre to see a hobo-looking guy complaining the OMG you can kinda see where the screws are under the drywall. Oh no, the paint job isn't flawless, how will I survive?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Facebook Aunt posted:

As a lifelong renter, the only things I would even have noticed are the always on lamp and maybe the sparking light switches. I might have noticed the floor was easily dinged and let my landlord know so it wouldn't count against my damage deposit, but I certainly wouldn't require that it be replaced immediately.

It was a little bizarre to see a hobo-looking guy complaining the OMG you can kinda see where the screws are under the drywall. Oh no, the paint job isn't flawless, how will I survive?

It's not the paint job that's the issue, it's the fact that the wall is unfinished. The laminate coming off the floor means that the underlying crapwood can cause splinters, get stained, etc.

There are certainly code violations up the yinyang and the fact that it's a mega-apartment building compounds the issue.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

The apartment is worth 1.3 million dollars, how much do you think he's paying for rent? If you were paying 3-4k/mo for rent you would probably be complaining about your bathroom tiles coming up and your floors de-laminating.

This place reminds me of this hotel I stayed at in China, at the surface level it looked really swanky but the more time I spent in there the more it turned out everything was slapped together to "look good" and was functionally poo poo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah uh, some of those prices are still painful compared to what I'm used to seeing.

The $240k house looks like a decent deal, and 7 miles from downtown doesn't seem bad to me... but then I remember how horrific 35 is down there.

As a bay arean, the austin prices seem ludicrously cheap to me, and a seven mile commute in total gridlock would still be a massive upgrade to the more typical 50 mile commute in total gridlock around here.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Fax is buying a house?

No, but he was thinking about it as a possible future option, maybe, so the other month we were scrolling through listings just to get a sense of what's what.

SoundMonkey posted:

oh, for content...

i still get e-mail updates about real estate listings, i could unsubscribe but it's interesting. new listing today.

"What's that room?"

like i get it, you had a tiny kitchen and got sick of it, but that is not how you fix that

Looks like a laundry room off the kitchen, maybe

e. Oh that's a dish rack, isn't it, lol

Most likely that's a split unit and the "kitchen" was added to a room that used to be a living room or something.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

Now, that's a fire!

Bonfire of the vanities.

You can see where the builders have been burning things off to the left and I've got my eye on this giant pile because I get the feeling they might just light it up. Also those cabinets did not come out of my house, the builder's dumped them there.

First week they were here they set fire to my bushes. And the second week. And the third.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Any bets on if the sellers will disclose this additional information to other potential buyers, as I'm pretty sure they're legally required to do? :v:

If I were OP, I would try to get it showing up on the Web.

Not just because I’m a nice person, but also because gently caress the seller for trying to scam me.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Really should do a series on low budget rentals in Melbourne. (around $250 a week).

You get gems like

On my bingo list:
Is the bathroom completely pink?
Is the kitchen so small the oven takes up most of the space or you have to walk around it?
Can you fit the fridge?

Granted the newer apartments are so bad as in their rush to get up they are riddled with so many design flaws that many are earmarked to be completely demolished.
Cheaper material such as foam is used, meaning mould explodes within the wall from leaking water.
Or in one case the external cladding catches fire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhVNWPOPW8Y

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We want to keep all the old windows and the front door but update the siding to match our garden shed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

These prefab Sekisui M1 from the 70s are still around in tight old neighborhoods.
They were fast, cheap and spacious compared to lovely post-war houses.

peanut fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 2, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Modern Sekisui homes are still modular construction but with more variety and better finishing.

The on-site construction is faster than a regular house build, but the total cost is the same if not more expensive. I like the integrated solar panel roofs.

peanut fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 2, 2017

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Leperflesh posted:

e. Oh that's a dish rack, isn't it, lol

yeah that's the only sink

also most of the counter space is in the smaller sink room

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PainterofCrap posted:

Now, that's a fire!

Please let me know if you were making an obscure Eddie Murphy reference because if so I appreciated it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Speaking of lovely post-war houses, this is available nearby for $55,000. The arrow on the bottom is the front door, the K in the upper corner is the kitchen (looks like 9x9 feet). It looks like a duplex converted into one home, as neither of those doors facing the street in the photo are the current front door.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.

peanut posted:

These prefab Sekisui M1 from the 70s are still around in tight old neighborhoods.

Is this in Japan? I vaguely remember hearing that in Japan houses are more often torn down then remodeled.
Would that mean that they would have less crappy house construction or more ?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes :japan: Nice old houses are preserved but most from before 1970 are rotten garbage with outdoor plumbing and a labyrinth of small additions. The front door of this is the right-most grey square in the top.
(The price on this is the land price, expecting someone to bulldoze it and maybe split into or 3 lots).

peanut fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 2, 2017

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

peanut posted:

I think these look cool af from the outside. All these big gray boxes are very much in style with rich people. Just convince them it's new, they'll eat it up.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ashnjack posted:

Is this in Japan? I vaguely remember hearing that in Japan houses are more often torn down then remodeled.
Would that mean that they would have less crappy house construction or more ?

Reading about this, their building standards are fine -- have to be in a country as earthquake-prone as Japan. But nobody bothers to do renovation or even plain maintenance because a used house is worthless, so all the used stock is junk, and it's a self-perpetuating cycle.

also, the :ghost: thing

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Some "Bubble Era" buildings from the 80s are falling apart due to hasty construction and cheap materials... sound familiar?

Lots of people are upgrading their old baths and I'm shocked to still see houses and apartments with squatter toilets. But when the boomers die and their kids take over the property it's likely to get completely gutted and/or sold for land value.
In my area there's lots of rice fields being converted to residential lots, but in big cities you have to buy used and See Above.

* Many older properties include storefronts that haven't been used in a few decades. Grandma's corner shop, grandpa's drycleaning. The lost floorspace often meant no proper family kitchen and other cramped, inconvenient floorplans.

peanut fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 2, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

As a bay arean, the austin prices seem ludicrously cheap to me, and a seven mile commute in total gridlock would still be a massive upgrade to the more typical 50 mile commute in total gridlock around here.

No, but he was thinking about it as a possible future option, maybe, so the other month we were scrolling through listings just to get a sense of what's what.

Bay Area prices are loving insane. My sister and my mother bought a two house lot in which both houses basically needed to be gutted and rebuilt from the foundations up. Seven years ago during the buyer's market and In just above crackhouse level quality at the start the cost was over a mill for the pair. The house I sold in Madison Wisconisn at about the same time they bought theirs which was in much much better condition and much much much larger I only got 350k for.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

SoundMonkey posted:

oh, for content...

"What's that room?"

It's tempting.

The kitchen in my house only has one small usable wall for counters & cabinets. One wall has windows (that start at knee level), the other side has another low window and a door, there's a pantry in the corner between the windows, and the fourth side is open to the living room. There's a counter sticking out along that open space with a little bit of storage and the dishwasher, but basically I have to go around the counter to use the toaster, and any other appliances other than the microwave have to be stored between uses.

The only solution I can come up with (aside from burning it to the ground and starting over) would be to turn half of the attached living room into a dining room, moving the table out there, and putting an island in the kitchen. And even that would not be great, the pantry and fridge sometimes require me to shuffle chairs out of the way to get them open so it would need to be a very small island to account for that and the windows.

Eliminating the windows and moving the pantry door to the other side to free up that wall would also work, but also result in a much darker room. And maybe switching to an above the range microwave would free up a little counterspace, but I feel like there's not really enough room above the oven for that.

Basically, the longer I live in my house, the more I find things that just make me go, "Why did they build this like this?"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I live in one of literally hundreds of identical suburban houses built in the 50's originally for IIRC military families. I'm fortunate in that the house is solidly-built (the second-floor underfloor is made out of 2x8s instead of plywood, for example) and doesn't have any major structural issues, plus the POs didn't really do any upgrades or major remodeling, which means they didn't get the opportunity to upfuck the house.

On the other hand, there's a lot of minor deferred maintenance that I got to take care of. You win some, you lose some.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

SoundMonkey posted:

oh, for content...

"What's that room?"

I wouldn't mind that actually. Keeps the dirty dishes (main mess in a kitchen) out of sight until you could get to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

SoundMonkey posted:

oh, for content...

"What's that room?"

Work Triangle? What's that?