Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Lego site order SV just arrived today. It had gotten adjusted to Tuesday for some reason then changed back to today. Stuck at work for another 5 hours, tempted to go home early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Mine is still on a truck somewhere.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh poo poo all the summer Star Wars sets are out! :3:

Watched the review from Jang on the speeder and Anakin becoming Vader... those look like must buys. The bounty hunter pack as well since its cheap and comes with all the guys,

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vintersorg posted:

Oh poo poo all the summer Star Wars sets are out! :3:

Watched the review from Jang on the speeder and Anakin becoming Vader... those look like must buys. The bounty hunter pack as well since its cheap and comes with all the guys,

Not Zuckuss!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My Saturn V is being shippend on July 11th... Lego Germany is all out of rockets it seems. Doesn't matter, my birthday isn't until September, but the GF ordered it already just "to be sure I can get you one". Gotta love lego-liking significant others

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Nabbed a rocket at the Burlington store around 1 PM today. They had a decent number. Really enjoying the build so far.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Hopper posted:

My Saturn V is being shippend on July 11th... Lego Germany is all out of rockets it seems. Doesn't matter, my birthday isn't until September, but the GF ordered it already just "to be sure I can get you one". Gotta love lego-liking significant others

That's cause we stole all your scientists.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

a sexual elk posted:

Same boat I was all about Legos as a kid and mentioned how I couldn't wait until my daughter was old enough to have a crate of them to my fiancé, so she went to target and surprised me with the AT-ST and Y-Wing set. 20 years since I had that feeling of excitement and it all came flooding back.
It really is plastic crack isn't it? :ohdear:
Ever since ordering the set I am tempted to bury out this badboy that I have in storage (I have all my Lego in storage for my kids/nostalgia)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh poo poo there's a Lego beetle now! When did I miss this?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The Tukwila store happened to get another shipment of Saturn Vs in at around noon today, and I showed up around 1pm. They still had like 5 on the shelf, but may be gone by now.

I'll soon be 2/6th of the way to my moon landing rocket collection!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I got my space rocket, I'll build it some day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe lego is canceling some orders for people trying to order too many? Or maybe they got a billion duplicate orders when their website was making GBS threads bricks? Because I just got a shipping notice for my rocket, even though I put my order in after noon the day after.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Zedd posted:

Ever since ordering the set I am tempted to bury out this badboy that I have in storage (I have all my Lego in storage for my kids/nostalgia)

I have this set but sadly I seem to have misplaced the weird deltawing shaped black plate that forms the core of the shuttle.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

xzzy posted:

Maybe lego is canceling some orders for people trying to order too many? Or maybe they got a billion duplicate orders when their website was making GBS threads bricks? Because I just got a shipping notice for my rocket, even though I put my order in after noon the day after.

Weird, I'm a little jealous. I ordered around 2pm on the first, and my order status is Waiting for New Stock.

Zedd posted:

I loved the poo poo out of this set, even though I was bothered about the shuttle not having 3 decks. Being able to put the whole stack together was loving rad.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Finished my Saturn. About 5-6 hours (one pile :colbert:) with occasional breaks. There are some great techniques and even though at times it seems like you're just building a skeleton the thing is super solid. Amazing display piece at an amazing price. Can't wait to get some kind of display case for it. Might need a small aquarium. :ohdear:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Has anyone found a baseball bat case that it fits in?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

Has anyone found a baseball bat case that it fits in?

The saturn is 6 inches in diameter. Baseball bats are usually less than 5. The saturn is over 36 inches long, bats are usually under 35. It's possible there is a case but it would be a tight squeeze.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I haven't thought about the diameter. Looking around, the longest cases have an interior dimension of 38 inches. It would be possible to store it without the escape system probably.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

ChesterJT posted:

Finished my Saturn. About 5-6 hours (one pile :colbert:) with occasional breaks. There are some great techniques and even though at times it seems like you're just building a skeleton the thing is super solid. Amazing display piece at an amazing price. Can't wait to get some kind of display case for it. Might need a small aquarium. :ohdear:
I think the only thing I found super annoying about the build was near the end of the second stage. You have to build these little grille inserts that get plugged into holes that attach to 1x1 tile or 2x1 tile with clips. The two tiles are attached with one stud to a 1x1 brick with an open hole that sits on a green plate with arm. It's all single stud attachments.

The idea is that it's supposed to detach the plates from the 1x1 red hole after you attach the inserts, but in practice it's so drat fiddly that I wound up taking off the side panels (which were already attached in the instructions at that point) so I could actually attach them to the clips. Doing it the way the instructions requested was nearly impossible because the act of pushing it into the clips pushed that assembly off the brick, and I wasn't able to actually secure them at all that way.

I'm not sure if I was doing anything wrong there, but I have to say it's the first time i've seen a set intentionally work on a detachment of something inside an internal structure. If you don't push in the grille inserts after they're actually attached to the clips, they'll stick out too far. I mean, it's clever, I'm just surprised it's a legal build technique.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

I can't say you were doing it wrong but I didn't have any issues locking those inserts into place. They aren't perfectly smooth and round but I think they're in there as intended.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Just finished mine.

Definitely some unique building techniques.

Now to figure out where to put it....

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I messed up one of those because I thought it wasn't firmly attached and pressed too hard but it was easy to fix.

I'm thinking like a floating shelf screwed into studs for display?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

ChesterJT posted:

I can't say you were doing it wrong but I didn't have any issues locking those inserts into place. They aren't perfectly smooth and round but I think they're in there as intended.

After getting a "I didn't have any issues" responses from others, I went to look up some build reviews and now i see the mistake I made. The red brick needs two white studs, not one. I missed it. :doh: Complete goof up on my part. Took part of the second stage apart to make the fix, took about five minutes.

For others, this is the bit:

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 4, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

kefkafloyd posted:

After getting a "I didn't have any issues" responses from others, I went to look up some build reviews and now i see the mistake I made. The red brick needs two white studs, not one. I missed it. :doh: Complete goof up on my part. Took part of the second stage apart to make the fix, took about five minutes.

For others, this is the bit:

I missed it, too, but fortunately realized it early when I had too many spare white studs at the end of that part of the build.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have a Saturn V but like I said I'm waiting for some me time.

Just to break up the chatter, I've now got Robin's hover bike and the Batmobile (2/4) completed. Pretty neat and fun so far.

Also the bat signal is pretty neat and you can see it on a wall pretty far away in a darker room.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't know if anyone has mentioned the Saturn V yet but it's a really cool set. I'm 9 bags in and it's massive and very well designed.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Wait, there is a set with a working bat signal? Which one?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Hopper posted:

Wait, there is a set with a working bat signal? Which one?

The Ultimate Batmobile includes one that has a light brick (although the Brothers Brick review says it doesn't project very well).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pyroclastic posted:

The Ultimate Batmobile includes one that has a light brick (although the Brothers Brick review says it doesn't project very well).

It projects far better than I would have ever expected!

I mean... you won't see it in the clouds in the sky, or a neighboring building wall... but in a darker room you will see it on your wall.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm spending my day off from work at Legoland by going to Legoland

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Roth posted:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just completed the S-IC stage and i'll do some more tomorrow. has anyone had the side of their rocket spell out "rear end" yet?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't worry, I took care of it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
From about 5 feet away, for those that care...

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Roth posted:

I'm with my family at Legoland California right now. It was unexpectedly Star Wars weekend and the random RC-R2 unit was legit neat. My kids are literally talking about how today has been the best days of their lives to date.

Unfortunately my wife severely sprained her ankle walking to the airport entrance and can barely get around on crutches, which has severely dampened our enjoyment.

Do you work at Legoland CA, and if so, what are our options for getting around easier? Ideally we would be able to use a wheelchair, I think. The crutches are too slow.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hermsgervørden posted:

I'm with my family at Legoland California right now. It was unexpectedly Star Wars weekend and the random RC-R2 unit was legit neat. My kids are literally talking about how today has been the best days of their lives to date.

Unfortunately my wife severely sprained her ankle walking to the airport entrance and can barely get around on crutches, which has severely dampened our enjoyment.

Do you work at Legoland CA, and if so, what are our options for getting around easier? Ideally we would be able to use a wheelchair, I think. The crutches are too slow.

I work at admissions, so to my knowledge, renting a wheelchair would be the best option. That would be immediately on the left of the entrance. You can also go to membership processing on the right of the entrance, and pick up an assisted access pass to get on rides easier.

It works like this:

"When ready, go to the first ride you want. There a time will be placed on your card and you will be boarded.
The time on your card will be the time you can get on your next ride of choice. Once that time comes up you can go to any ride and the same procedure will be done.
You will enter via the rides exit or the Reserve and Ride entrance (which is like a fast pass line but this is normally only utilized during peak seasons)
The holder of the pass need not ride the attraction but must be present upon checking into the ride for a boarding time.
The pass does not eliminate waiting but makes waiting easier outside of the ride queues. I will say your wait times during the off season will be little to none."

I hope that helps.

Miniland, the Factory Tour, and Sea Life if you have hopper tickets would also probably be good places to go since you wouldn't have to bother with lines, and can just enjoy the sights.

I'm working at the toll booth all week this week, which is pretty chill. A little fun fact: I had never actually been to Legoland as a guest before now. It's a pretty neat place. Probably not as exciting as if I had gone as a kid, but it was nice. Those churros were pretty drat good.

Edit - Looking at the models around the park makes me want to get back into playing with Lego, but money.

Roth fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 5, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Feenix posted:

From about 5 feet away, for those that care...

That is badass.

Unrelated, but is that plant that comes with Wall-E exclusive to that set? I haven't seen it before and I lost mine while moving this weekend.It's my favorite set and I'm kind of bummed. He seems mangled now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do all the lego lands ban nerdy goonlords from entering without children?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

veni veni veni posted:

Unrelated, but is that plant that comes with Wall-E exclusive to that set? I haven't seen it before and I lost mine while moving this weekend.It's my favorite set and I'm kind of bummed. He seems mangled now.

Nah I have a whole bunch of them from the Indian sets from Orient Expedition iirc. They might not be so common these days though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Cojawfee posted:

Don't worry, I took care of it.

lmao