Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Do helsreach if you haven't

I might at some point.

Hustlin Floh posted:

I know the reason you don't hear about the Dominate is because it's another company's work

Yeah ever since that DH tie in novel that seemingly flopped BL has never really bothered covering anything of the FFG 40k games.
Might change now that GW is in control of those games now. They announced that the newest version of WHFRPG is going to be set in the Mortal Realms aka the AoS setting.
Which is going to be interesting since we'll get a lot better view of that setting that way then we have had before if they play their cards right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I started reading 40k stuff around when HH started. I really enjoyed the first book but couldn't get past the third chapter of the second. Figured out the disparity was between Annett and not him. I read Leigon and Prospero Burns and really enjoyed them, so following the threads advice I've been reading Eisenhorn. It's a nice read, but after finishing the second I feel like they're somewhat flat compared to the HH stuff I've read of his. I'm going to finish it and start Ravenor because he seems like a more interesting character.

Also I bought Helsreach yesterday after watching those videos.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Does Imperial guard = astra militaratium or whatever now?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

euphronius posted:

Does Imperial guard = astra militaratium or whatever now?

Yes. But you can call them Imperial Guard - everybody else does.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Thought the "Imperial Guard" was specifically the ground troops?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That would imply that the Astra Militarum is a combined force of Ground and Navy, which is certainly not the case.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Imperial guard or the Guard is what everyone who plays calls them or coloquial reference in the setting.

Astra Militarum Is what GW's IP lawyers call them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There should be a point in a novel where a veteran slaps a new recruit and yells at him to cut the high Gothic bs and talk like a normal person.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

There should be a point in a novel where a veteran slaps a new recruit and yells at him to cut the high Gothic bs and talk like a normal person.

It's a thing in the tabletop RPGs that most Imperials can't even speak High Gothic.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just finished the Space Wolf series and I'm looking for my next read. I just got a new phone and I've been playing the Freeblade game, and it's got me interested in stories revolving around knight titans. Any recommendations?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
So Aeldari, is that High Gothic too?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

funmanguy posted:

So Aeldari, is that High Gothic too?

Nah it's a totally alien language. If a High Gothic is Latin to our English, that would be Mandarine.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Got the new Blood Bowl comic issue 1 and it was decent enough. Big surprise when I got to the back page to see Nick Kyme's name there.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MrNemo posted:

Imperial guard or the Guard is what everyone who plays calls them or coloquial reference in the setting.

Astra Militarum Is what GW's IP lawyers call them.

Seeing the AM being used in one of the stories in the second Sabbat Crusade omnibus was really weird and felt like a huge case of find and replace.
Even weirder it was one of those plot important Dan Abnett stories too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32aKF-MKbc8

Remember Fire Warrior? Remember X-Play? I was going through old Xplay reviews and came across this one. Despite their jokes about the "evil earth empire", Adam Sessler is more on point about the Imperium of Man than he may have realized.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not to post a meme or anything...

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just read the new Iron Hands book 'Eye of Medusa'.

Can't recommend it, it's a bit of a mess.

Lots of jumping back and forth between characters and time in a way that's not very clear or readable.

Plus the endings either super abrupt, or this is the first book in a series. I honestly can't tell. There's nothing about it being a new series on the cover, but even by GW's dripfeed of plot standards, this is a kick in the teeth if it is stand alone.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Deptfordx posted:

Plus the endings either super abrupt, or this is the first book in a series. I honestly can't tell.

You mean Dan Abnett wrote it!?

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Looking at Dark Imperium now; been wanting to read a book set in the new "Guilliman's back" storyline, and I've enjoyed a lot of Haley's work. Anybody given it a read yet?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
People have been posting about it on Bolter and Chainsword and the consensus seems to be that it's surprisingly good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked how Guilliman had to take his best guess at what year it is due to all the bitter infighting between the imperial timekeepers who cannot agree on a universal calendar.
The Indomitus Crusade seems like a rather gigantic offensive to last over a century. Which of course leads back to the status quo sort of. Blunts the Chaos advances but the Imperium is still cut in half. Goal posts have changed but it's not a total immediate death spiral.

I think what works best is that unlike Gathering Storm where everything happened on fast forward, Dark Imperium takes its time, or at least implies that a while has passed with sweeping changes rather than instantaneously.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 4, 2017

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is Dark Imperium the start of a new series? I'm interested in getting in on the ground floor of a Black Library storyline for once, it feels like I am always playing catchup.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Playing catch up is always better because then you don't have to read/buy the poo poo ones.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Azubah posted:

So far Carrion Throne is pretty great, really paints Earth as a super poo poo hole that was only hinted at in other books.

This was an extremely good book.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

One Legged Cat posted:

Looking at Dark Imperium now; been wanting to read a book set in the new "Guilliman's back" storyline, and I've enjoyed a lot of Haley's work. Anybody given it a read yet?

Next on my to read list. Should be done with it in a couple of days, I'll report back.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Carrion throne is pretty good . Two thumbs up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What book has Robute coming back in the present?

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

What book has Robute coming back in the present?

Dark Imperium has this, sort of. Depends what you mean. It starts off with a 30K intro chapter, then flashes forward to 112 years after he wakes up in 40K.

Spoiler for the dating system in the 42nd millennium: There are five contradictory galactic dating systems and Guilliman can't work out if he's in the 42nd millennium or still the 41st.

Spoiler for his relationship with Mechanicus characters: Belisarius Cawl, the tech-priest who woke him up, is petitioning Guilliman to declare him ruler of Mars, and Guilliman keeps putting him off because Cawl's a hated techno-heretic and his rulership of Mars would be guaranteed to ignite a Martian civil war.

Ghost of Babyhead fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 5, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Custodies should have cut Ghuilimans life support like the Emperor told them to. Imo

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Pistol_Pete posted:

This was an extremely good book.

Definitely going to pick this up

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Carrion throne had me guessing until the end which is good.

Inquisitor books are awesome .

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Dark Imperium has this, sort of. Depends what you mean. It starts off with a 30K intro chapter, then flashes forward to 112 years after he wakes up in 40K.

Spoiler for the dating system in the 42nd millennium: There are five contradictory galactic dating systems and Guilliman can't work out if he's in the 42nd millennium or still the 41st.

Spoiler for his relationship with Mechanicus characters: Belisarius Cawl, the tech-priest who woke him up, is petitioning Guilliman to declare him ruler of Mars, and Guilliman keeps putting him off because Cawl's a hated techno-heretic and his rulership of Mars would be guaranteed to ignite a Martian civil war.

Something I read from the leaks and found amusing is that Cawl wants to make more Primaris marines out of Traitor geneseed as well but Guilliman tells him not to. But at the same time he pretty much knows Cawl is doing it behind everyone's back anyway. That's going to be fun when it backfires.

And it looks like I'm going to finally pick up a BL book based on the comments regarding Carrion Throne.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
If you haven't read anything there are better books to start with

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I think I might take a break from Gaunt's Ghosts for carrion throne.

Just finished Honor Guard, and that felt a little long-winded until the end, which - conversely - felt rushed as gently caress.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cooked Auto posted:

Something I read from the leaks and found amusing is that Cawl wants to make more Primaris marines out of Traitor geneseed as well but Guilliman tells him not to. But at the same time he pretty much knows Cawl is doing it behind everyone's back anyway. That's going to be fun when it backfires.

And it looks like I'm going to finally pick up a BL book based on the comments regarding Carrion Throne.

Chaos has to get those sweet truescale Marines too, gotta sell those models. Kharne dealing with the fact that all the new World Eaters are more muscley is going to go well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Waroduce posted:

If you haven't read anything there are better books to start with

What? No I just haven't read a BL book for over a year and a half or something because nothing has interested me until now. Otherwise I would've just waited until Warmaster came out and bought that.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Chaos has to get those sweet truescale Marines too, gotta sell those models. Kharne dealing with the fact that all the new World Eaters are more muscley is going to go well.

Meanwhile I can't wait to see how true the comments about Primaris marines dealing badly with geneseed corruption is going to be.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cooked Auto posted:

Meanwhile I can't wait to see how true the comments about Primaris marines dealing badly with geneseed corruption is going to be.

Especially the chapters that already have geneseed problems, like the Imperial Fists and Raven Guard.

Stabilizing that kind of thing might be a reason to bring Corax back, though. He alone has the Emperor's original notes and research on the invention of geneseed if I remember Deliverance Lost correctly.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Especially the chapters that already have geneseed problems, like the Imperial Fists and Raven Guard.

From what I remember hearing is that the Flesh Tearers are supposedly going all in on the whole Primaris thing.
Can't wait to see that blow up in their faces spectacularly. :allears:

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Picked up Carrion Throne based on your recommendations, it's really good! Great world building and the characters hold my interest.

Last BL book I read was the space sharks vs the night lords and that book was OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Halfway through Dark Imperium and it's bad. Probably the weakest BL book I've read so far... You would have thought they'd made sure this one was one of the good ones, but no

Mediocre prose and pretty uninteresting plot so far, Guy Haley sure ain't no ADB