Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Varkk posted:

You just know you are getting a bunch of flash drives filled with unencrypted PST files. Most will be called Outlook.pst

Thankfully its from a provider that knows how to do this. Or at least that's what I've been told. Either way, not my issue.

I did once have to explain to someone why it would be impossible to copy 60gigs of data across a T1 line in 2 days. Saying "I need it in 2 days though" is not going to make it go faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

One of the people involved in this is named Peter, which led to this early "brain's not fully firing yet" internal monologue:

MOTHER OF GOD DOES HE KNOW WHO I'M TA--- ohhh Office Space, right right, carry on.

Also, I've worked with plenty of PMs throughout the years, but they've all been on a "pretty good" to "good" spectrum. Working with these guys I am right now, where 1 is the best I've seen, and 1 is the worst, has really shown me what makes a good project manager. Our good PM is so good that it has actually improved my own work habits. I see how he organizes his projects, takes notes on meetings, has something substantive to contribute when he speaks, etc. Has been great to learn from him.

All the PMs we have now just say they want it done today, even though they've also said this for like two other projects for the same day during a major outage, all of which required prep they never told us about until it was happening. :wtc:

I'm imagining them as the pointy haired boss saying I want it done today into the phone, leaning back, putting their feet up, and going "yep, that's how you get things done" and daydreaming about the bonus and kudos he's going to get.

Meanwhile tickets pile up into the triple digits which I'm sure the same people are going to complain about. They must think we're just scripts they run and return successful projects at the push of a button without any lead time, catch up time, and sometime even time off on the weekend.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

skooma512 posted:

All the PMs we have now just say they want it done today, even though they've also said this for like two other projects for the same day during a major outage, all of which required prep they never told us about until it was happening. :wtc:

I'm imagining them as the pointy haired boss saying I want it done today into the phone, leaning back, putting their feet up, and going "yep, that's how you get things done" and daydreaming about the bonus and kudos he's going to get.

Meanwhile tickets pile up into the triple digits which I'm sure the same people are going to complain about. They must think we're just scripts they run and return successful projects at the push of a button without any lead time, catch up time, and sometime even time off on the weekend.

I dunno man, the effort to success ratio of a PM must be pretty high when all they do is act like huge whiny babbies and demand their poo poo go to the front of the line, all without bothering with things like reality, or project load, or quality of life for anyone that isn't the PM.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

Thankfully its from a provider that knows how to do this. Or at least that's what I've been told. Either way, not my issue.

I did once have to explain to someone why it would be impossible to copy 60gigs of data across a T1 line in 2 days. Saying "I need it in 2 days though" is not going to make it go faster.

Why isn't FedEx a method to consider? They have overnight shipping and they can transport TBs of harddrives/flash drives/optical if needed. Beats having to upgrade your internet connection for once in a blue moon issue.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's expensive. You're the computer guy, make it work.

Napkin math, would 60gb over a T1 be almost 28 days?

Wait, no, I didn't convert from Mb to MB.

How the gently caress did Steam survive when a T1 was fast?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Games weren't in the tens of gigabytes range they are now. Most would fit in a single CD.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
We'd also wait patiently and excited for it to finish. Back then Steam approval was also kind of a quality mark, so you were waiting for a good game generally speaking. Today I can just install multi-GB games in a matter of minutes and every time I get reminded that we truly live in the future :downs:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, at this point I just download a game, dislike it, and uninstall it for room on my SSD within an hour.

I remember downloading EverQuest 2 for the demo and it taking more than 24 hours. Then again, we were on some pretty slow DSL even in 2005. We didn't even have broadband until 2003 or so, when my mom started working from home and her company paid for it.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 6, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I remember downloading FrontDoor on a 2400bps modem. At slightly over 1 MB it was the largest single thing I had downloaded. I waited until my parents had gone to bed before starting the download, then left it running overnight. :corsair:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It took me years to swap to steam and when I finally did I was getting 160mb down.

Now i've moved and i'm getting 6-7.

I don't like it.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I was excited when my line went from about 0.8 to 1.6

There is a fibre cabinet at the end of my street - according to my insider sources the install is now late so hopefully it's going to be soon ish

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A T1 hasn't been fast since like 1999

eames
May 9, 2009

If I remember correctly Half Life 2 was the first big steam title. Most people bought the physical version (CD/DVD) and had to unlock it via Steam on launch day. It was a bit of a mess.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Also, Steam let you download games prior to release, they'd decrypt and download the final executables at release time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

They brought a new salesperson around.

"I am completely computer illiterate! You guys are going to be my best friends!"

Awesome.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bob Morales posted:

"I am completely computer illiterate! You guys are going to be my best friends!"

Awesome.

I find it depressing that it's still apparently acceptable to show up for a job and loudly declare that you're incapable of performing it. If you're working in an office with a computer, declaring "I'm computer illiterate" should result in your immediate ejection from the building.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Collateral Damage posted:

I remember downloading FrontDoor on a 2400bps modem. At slightly over 1 MB it was the largest single thing I had downloaded. I waited until my parents had gone to bed before starting the download, then left it running overnight. :corsair:

Winzip at 1.5 megabytes was forever my bane. Overnight download ho. And just too big to save/store on a floppy drive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

A T1 hasn't been fast since like 1999

Depends on your definition. T1's had unbeatable pings so if you hopped on a quake server with one you were a god among men. :v:

Obviously the bigger T2/T3 tiers were better because they had the ping plus bandwidth but bandwidth wasn't an issue for a while longer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

xzzy posted:

Depends on your definition. T1's had unbeatable pings so if you hopped on a quake server with one you were a god among men. :v:

Well, cable started coming out around that point (at least in my area) so 1.544Mbs or whatever a T1 was started looking pretty slow - but it was pretty usable for a couple years after that.

The first MSP I worked at had a T1, I had to download some driver that was like 8 megs and said "oh this might take a while", coming from 56k land...it downloaded in just a few minutes I was amazed and my boss was so excited to show me how fast it went.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

Awesome.

From a sales guy there is at least a 50% chance he's fine with computers, but will use this excuse to justify making ridiculous requests.

"I need a Verizon hotspot with unlimited data and two foldable screens and a physical copy of the T: drive data so I can use this laptop anywhere I go"
"Why can't you use hotel or Starbucks WiFi, connect to VPN, and stick to the huge laptop screen we provided?"
"Lol I'm not good with computers heh I need this though and if you don't deliver, you're at fault for my sales numbers"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Bob Morales posted:

Well, cable started coming out around that point (at least in my area) so 1.544Mbs or whatever a T1 was started looking pretty slow - but it was pretty usable for a couple years after that.

poo poo, it's still usable NOW. I'm stuck on 1.5Mb DSL.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

eames posted:

If I remember correctly Half Life 2 was the first big steam title. Most people bought the physical version (CD/DVD) and had to unlock it via Steam on launch day. It was a bit of a mess.

CounterStrike 1.6 too, especially when WON got shutdown.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Our All Hands Meeting today has been pushed back from 4-4:30, to 4:30-5:15, and is now extended another half hour to 5:45. Can't we just pick it up in the morning?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah, everyone fondly recalls the actual first Steam title: Ricochet!!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Fil5000 posted:

I find it depressing that it's still apparently acceptable to show up for a job and loudly declare that you're incapable of performing it. If you're working in an office with a computer, declaring "I'm computer illiterate" should result in your immediate ejection from the building.
I think people still think that stuff is endearing. "Look how folksy I am! I'm just one of the boys!"

Except "one of the boys" in IT is probably wearing a shirt with a binary joke on it, sooo, know your target audience.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's expensive. You're the computer guy, make it work.

Napkin math, would 60gb over a T1 be almost 28 days?

Wait, no, I didn't convert from Mb to MB.

Back then Steam was pretty awful and it was essentially what the Blizzard app is now - that thing for Valve games. You had to use it to play the latest version of Counter Strike and it was a pain in the rear end. I don't really remember when it became even tolerable much less the leading supplier of PC games it is today but it was definitely after the early 2000's.

Fe: most old CS players liked 1.5 better so they managed to stay off steam for a while. Forgot about the WON shutdown being what pushed everyone onto Steam.

Fe2: and I guess the first memory I have of Steam being good/bringing people back was the Orange Box deal. Pretty much everyone bought it because it was a good deal with good games. Then you realized they made a lot of improvements and Steam wasn't so bad.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Oh yeah at release Steam was a steaming pile of poo poo. It was really needed as a solid platform for patching, sensible anti-piracy (remember all that DRM bullshit we had back in the '00s?) and anti-cheating. Back around release time i don't think it could handle the load. 2007 was the big turnaround point with a lot of third party publishers also making their games available on Steam.

mewse
May 2, 2006

There was shrieking rage across the internet that people bought boxed copies of HL2 and couldn't play it because it wasn't release day yet and valve hadn't flipped the switch to decrypt the data

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Steam is still a pile of poo poo, just with a different character to it.

The worst part is their update cycle. You get prompts to restart it for an update like 2-3 times a week.

I liked it best when it was the only show in town, I could have my entire gaming library in one spot. But now that everyone realizes there's money in controlling the platform, everyone has their own platform. So now you gotta have 2-5 game portal apps running in the background all the time (unless you go full sperg and kill them off manually every time you exit a game).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

mewse posted:

There was shrieking rage across the internet that people bought boxed copies of HL2 and couldn't play it because it wasn't release day yet and valve hadn't flipped the switch to decrypt the data

I had a friend that HL2 was released on their birthday, which was mid summer. His family went on a 2 week vacation and purchased HL2 to a cabin in the woods. He read the manual the manual many times because no internet.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

xzzy posted:

The worst part is their update cycle. You get prompts to restart it for an update like 2-3 times a week.

I liked it best when it was the only show in town, I could have my entire gaming library in one spot. But now that everyone realizes there's money in controlling the platform, everyone has their own platform. So now you gotta have 2-5 game portal apps running in the background all the time (unless you go full sperg and kill them off manually every time you exit a game).

Besides Origin and uPlay, what are the alternatives?

It'd be nice if their patches were less intrusive (like Chrome) or just quietly restarted when you weren't at the PC (like Windows 10).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jeoh posted:

Besides Origin and uPlay, what are the alternatives?

It'd be nice if their patches were less intrusive (like Chrome) or just quietly restarted when you weren't at the PC (like Windows 10).

battle.net is the fourth one I can think of. There was a brief period where nvidia and ati wanted to run a game portal too, but I think that died off over a year ago.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Game overlays are their own annoyance though. I think the most I've ever seen is 4 all announcing their presence at once: Origin, Steam, nVidia, and Windows.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

xzzy posted:

Why did you opt into beta if you don't want frequent updates?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Steam, Origin, uPlay, Battle.net, GOG Galaxy (which is entirely optional), Twitch had their own client now, I don't think Green Man does yet, but it wouldn't surprise me, Humble Bundle doesn't yet, and I feel like I'm forgetting one.

Then there's Discord and whatever else you have for chat. Is TeamSpeak still a thing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SinineSiil posted:

Why did you opt into beta if you don't want frequent updates?

Uh, I didn't think I was. But maybe I turned it on years ago in some drunken stupor. I'll doublecheck tonight. :angel:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

xzzy posted:

Uh, I didn't think I was. But maybe I turned it on years ago in some drunken stupor. I'll doublecheck tonight. :angel:

There was also a broken update about year or two ago that wanted to install itself over and over again.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Okay guys, it was fun when it was tangentially related to the topic at hand (Internet speeds and how download times were handled) but we should quit the Steam and gaming derail :)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And I hit post right after alereon...what happens when you leave a tab open too long. Deleting crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Someone needs to respond by ripping a giant fart and replying "Sorry, I'm not good with people."

Bonus points if you're an aspie so you have a medical diagnosis of being bad with people.