Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Thing is he has a point about beating down people who are rampaging around with their quirks no matter if they're doing it by choice or if they've been drugged, but he makes it in such a lovely way that he's convinced me of the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Jintor posted:

it's kind of amazing he's the no2 hero because he's such an unabashed dick and he barely tries to hide any of it

He's really, really good at the hands-on beating-up-villains part of the hero business.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh, hey, a change of subject!

Who the hell gets a suicide bomber quirk? Who passes that on?

Red headed kid who had the mutant power to explode. Once.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I notice that worst x-man ever thing isn't focused on beast

that can't possibly be right

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Crasical posted:

Endeavour looks kinda weird without his 'mask' of fire turned on.

not gonna lie he's actually pretty hot

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Manatee Cannon posted:

well it's not a popularity contest

it kind of is!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Work Friend Keven posted:

Ms. Midnight became a teacher so that she can jerk off all her students till they cum.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Ms. Midnight became a teacher so that she can jerk off all her students till they cum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkIDCG6DouM

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i want to register for ua

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh, hey, a change of subject!

Who the hell gets a suicide bomber quirk? Who passes that on?

Obviously one parent had the "bomb" quirk and the other one had the "suicide" quirk.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The "suicide bomber" writing was a red herring and he can actually explode as much as he wants

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Honestly I know - and everyone here probably does too - a few guys who'd probably be healthier adults if they'd gotten laid in high school so good for her.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Countblanc posted:

The "suicide bomber" writing was a red herring and he can actually explode as much as he wants

His dynamite fingers pop off and anyone that picks one up fells compelled to commit suicide.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Endeavor is Bakugou.

No, seriously: into heroing to be number one, thinks power and being unbeatable is the most important part of being a hero, shows casual disdain for everyone who isn't themselves, is more than willing to play the bad guy because they are bad guys.

The difference is instead of a one sided rivalry on Endeavors side, Bakugou has a real rival in both Midoriya and Todoroki. He respects them, and he is learning to be a better person through Midoriya and All Might.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Kanos posted:

He's really, really good at the hands-on beating-up-villains part of the hero business.

He gets a lot of practice at home

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
I've been re-reading the story again. The battle in the forest against the Hero Killers is amazing. I am really looking forward to Deku vs Muscular being animated.

Edit: I can't pick a favorite student. The whole class is awesome!

dazoner fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 6, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dazoner posted:

Edit: I can't pick a favorite student. The whole class is awesome!
Really?

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Well Bakugo is the obvious front runner, his armor piercing shot is great... but all the kids are great in their own way. Froppy is up there, Deku is as well, him beating Muscular is severely underrated.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Can I say how hype I am for the fact that sooner or later (thinking on it, end of season 4, not season 3), we're going to get to hear Chris Sabat do the United States of Smash?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

dazoner posted:

Well Bakugo is the obvious front runner, his armor piercing shot is great... but all the kids are great in their own way. Froppy is up there, Deku is as well, him beating Muscular is severely underrated.

The fight vs Muscular was good and it also leads into the excellent moment of him showing the kid's letter in front of his mom and All Might.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I thought the fight with Muscular was disappointing and Deku exploding his arms immediately after doing training to stop blowing up his arms sorta invalidated all that. The stuff that happens because of that fight are super good and fantastic but the fight itself was eh.

I bet it'll look real good in the anime though.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's important for Deku's growth as a character, and he would have died if he hadn't used full power. The attack came at a bad time for his ability to control OfA.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Aurora posted:

It's important for Deku's growth as a character, and he would have died if he hadn't used full power. The attack came at a bad time for his ability to control OfA.

It's not that it doesn't make sense and in fact it was super necessary especially in order to tell the (really good) story of the rest of the arc and the next one. It's just I found it weird that in the arc right after they introduced the plot point that Deku had learned a way to not break his bones in a fight he immediately breaks his bones in a fight but worse. And it's done in a way that was honestly super similar to his Todoroki fight. Up against a far more powerful opponent where his only chance for even a shot at victory was to go over the limit and horribly injure himself with OFA's power, just multiplied by 10 because whole arm compared to individual fingers. Also, Muscular was barely a character which didn't help, though the same could be said for all of the VA guys at the time.

Like, the idea that Deku even after his training still faces the problem that enemies are at such a high level that in order to save someone he has to mutilate himself is a solid one but i'd have been more accepting of it if there was even a small arc before hand to show the skills he had learned from All Might's Mentor were effective and put to good use outside of the 3-on-1 fight with Stain. It wasn't even a bad fight I just remember being disappointed by it.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
The result of his internship was being able to use a portion of the power without damaging his body. Like during the Stain fight.
He did manage to land some blows without crippling his body. It's just that the amount of power he could use at the time, without mangling his arms, was not enough to damage Muscular. Really driving the point home that he needed to find a better way.

I get where you're coming from. But since we had the Stain fight and All-Might beat down with Bakugo in between, I feel like there was enough time between his development and the need to improve it again.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 6, 2017

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I just wish they'd be consistent about the idea that they occasionally play with, that "going beyond your limits" and pushing yourself to new heights by damaging your body is actually selfish and a sign of poor mental health rather than something a hero should be doing.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Like, the idea that Deku even after his training still faces the problem that enemies are at such a high level that in order to save someone he has to mutilate himself is a solid one but i'd have been more accepting of it if there was even a small arc before hand to show the skills he had learned from All Might's Mentor were effective and put to good use outside of the 3-on-1 fight with Stain. It wasn't even a bad fight I just remember being disappointed by it.

It's almost like he's a student that's not ready to go up against actual villains yet...
Hmmmm...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I can't remember has he hurt himself using OfA after the Muscular fight? I agree that him hurting himself is bad and All Might all but encouraging him to do it (especially at the sporting event) was a mark of him being a bad teacher but it feels like the comic acknowledged that although maybe not as strongly as it should.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Rand Brittain posted:

I just wish they'd be consistent about the idea that they occasionally play with, that "going beyond your limits" and pushing yourself to new heights by damaging your body is actually selfish and a sign of poor mental health rather than something a hero should be doing.

I don't think that's the message, at least not full stop. Mangling yourself for marginal things like training exercises and school competitions is bad, sure, but I think it's pretty important that a hero is willing to sacrifice everything to save those in need (which is what we're talking about here with his fight vs Muscular).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Early on Eraserhead made the good point that if you have to mangle yourself to do anything you aren't going to be any good after that one shot (leading Deku to using his fingers as a placeholder loop hole for a while). Like heroically sacrificing yourself to stop something gigantic is one thing but if you have to incapacitate yourself halfway through every encounter you aren't really cut out for hero work.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Radish posted:

I can't remember has he hurt himself using OfA after the Muscular fight? I agree that him hurting himself is bad and All Might all but encouraging him to do it (especially at the sporting event) was a mark of him being a bad teacher but it feels like the comic acknowledged that although maybe not as strongly as it should.

I don't think so, but also think he hasn't been in a fight like that since then. Muscular is a beefy dude and someone like him hasn't shown up to fight Deku.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

I don't think so, but also think he hasn't been in a fight like that since then. Muscular is a beefy dude and someone like him hasn't shown up to fight Deku.

That's fair. I wonder if any of these yakuza pawns are going to have some sort of ability that will force him to have to consider mangling himself again.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The Muscular fight was almost the exact opposite of singing the praises of self mutilation. He does what he needs to do to save the kid but barely anyone even knows it happened, and he's not allowed to tell anyone it did, not that he would anyway. Virtually nothing is gained from it and it brings Deku to the edge of he abyss of self sacrifice that he keeps teetering on prior to that point.

He permanently damages his arms in such a way that he needs to figure out a different way to use One for All. And he finally gets a full look at what effect all of his self harm is doing to his mother. The fight was a great end cap to the era of Deku exploding his appendages to get by. He hasn't done it since.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also it flat out shows the futility of destroying yourself.

He saved Kouta but because he was so wrecked he collapsed before reaching Bakugou.

Muscular was there basically to pound home that 5% full cowl isn't enough.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 6, 2017

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I really love the fact that it isn't treated as wholly good or bad. On the surface, he did a very heroic thing by putting himself on the line to save a defenseless boy, and in so doing proved to that boy that his parents didn't die worthless deaths and earned himself his first real fan. On the other hand, he almost got himself pulled out of the hero program because his mom was rightly concerned about his safety, and he hosed up his arm so much that it's basically at the limit of what can be magically healed. On top of that, in making his sacrifice there Deku couldn't save Bakugou, which it what lead to All Might's encounter with All for One. But it was also the turning point where he stopped obliterating his body to use his "full" power. The fight with Muscular is probably the most important fight that Deku has had. The fact that it contains a lot of the surface elements of the Todoroki match is unfortunate, but I don't really hold that against it.

Hippopo
Apr 2, 2017

*sigh*

Zerilan posted:

The fight vs Muscular was good and it also leads into the excellent moment of him showing the kid's letter in front of his mom and All Might.

This has been my favorite part about BnHA so far; there's almost never a wasted moment or interaction, anything could become relevant later.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Can I say how hype I am for the fact that sooner or later (thinking on it, end of season 4, not season 3), we're going to get to hear Chris Sabat do the United States of Smash?

At the current pace it'll probably happen in season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.
If they knock out the Teacher Battles this season, then 3 will probably go up to All Might vs AFO.