Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I thought pepper plants were supposed to be immune to pests and animals due to the capsicum. At any rate, I hit the mites with a strong spray knocking them off the plants and I've moved the infected ones away from the others. Then I watered them all with 1 part white vinegar to every 3 parts water, which was I read was a thing online. The plants seem to be doing fine, and they've since dried out. Then I rinsed off the vinegar solution, and I saw a few mites still kicking, but nowhere near as much as before. I'm going to spray them with water every few hours to keep the whole thing miserably humid for the mites and see where we're at in a week before throwing more vinegar on them.

I knew caring for plants would involve some effort, but this is more than I expected. It's not a problem by any means, but it makes me rethink gifting plants to people. It gives them a level of responsibility akin to smaller house pets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Be careful you don't overwater your peppers trying to kill the mites. It's how easily they drown that kills them, not humidity itself.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 4, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I thought pepper plants were supposed to be immune to pests and animals due to the capsicum.
gently caress no. Capsaicin pretty much only affects mammals.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Enfys posted:

Be careful you don't overwater your peppers trying to kill the mites. It's how easily they drown that kills them, not humidity itself.

Will keep that in mind. They're well-drained and the suns out today so it shouldn't be too bad.

Flipperwaldt posted:

gently caress no. Capsaicin pretty much only affects mammals.

So even birds will eat the fruit? This is the only risk I'm running with all the pigeons and crows about.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
If it eases your mind a bit, I've never seen doves or crows go after peppers. They might if peppers were tossed to them though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Shoot we got aphids on the pepper plants outside... Barring ladybugs, which I can't find outside right now, and it feels silly to order, any suggestions?
Spray them with the hose. Aphids have weak bodies and a brief+brisk spraying will remove+kill most of them. They don't have a sturdy carapace like ants and stuff so they'll just eat poo poo and die.

Peppers are uhh, kind of finicky tbh. They can survive heat and low water but you wanna treat them well to have them produce a lot.

Also birds and reptiles are ENTIRELY IMMUNE to capsaicin, lmao. They literally cannot taste it, and adding capsaicin powder to birdseed is a common way to impede squirrels

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 4, 2017

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

coyo7e posted:

Also birds and reptiles are ENTIRELY IMMUNE to capsaicin, lmao. They literally cannot taste it, and adding capsaicin powder to birdseed is a common way to impede squirrels

This is amazingly effective, btw. We had a but of a backyard rodent problem so I stopped putting out seed for a while to help it die down. Started seeding again this spring and got a few squirrels at the feeder exactly ONCE before the chili sauce on the seeds helped them learn their lesson.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Specifically capsaicin powder? Can chili powder work or does the extra non-capsaicin part taste weird to birdos?

Have some acrobatic squirrels in my yard.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

BrianBoitano posted:

Specifically capsaicin powder? Can chili powder work or does the extra non-capsaicin part taste weird to birdos?

Have some acrobatic squirrels in my yard.
It shouldn't! Peppers evolved to be eaten by birds; their seeds aren't damaged by birdguts and can be transported further than by mammals whose nociceptors are triggered by capsaicin.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
With aphids I feel like the real problem is taking care of their ant overlords

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My cherry berry strawberries are putting out so many runners :catstare:

Timber turned up for the second bed, if I get a dry evening I'll put that up this week and start shoveling soil.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I thought pepper plants were supposed to be immune to pests and animals due to the capsicum.

Snails. Snails will eat the everloving crap out of habaneros. Not just the plant. The fruit.
The last critter I thought would ever touch a habanero just went through my poor peppers like it was a buffet.
Guess I could have sold the snails as Texas Spicy Escargot.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

topenga posted:

Snails. Snails will eat the everloving crap out of habaneros. Not just the plant. The fruit.
The last critter I thought would ever touch a habanero just went through my poor peppers like it was a buffet.

Snails don't seem to be a major problem here, only aphids since there's so many goddamn ants. Also tomato hornworms :smith:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Weirdly capsaicin is mentioned as being effective against insects, but not invertebrates.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I just dumped half an envelope of 1500 ladybugs on my porch garden and I'm going to hear the dying screams of aphids in my sleep

Also I think I gotta repot some plamps tomorrow-- my nasturtium, lemon balm, and dwarf sage are sharing a long planter and they all seem like they're having a bad time. The lemon balm and dwarf sages both have leaf curling, the kind I associate with wet feet, while the nasturtium is leggy and all its leaves are crisping up and dying. It's just covered in tiny little leaves that die before they can get bigger than a nickel. HOW AM I KILLING A NASTURTIUM

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

topenga posted:

Snails and slugs love peppers with an alarming passion.

I've started planting tons of nasturtiums all along the outsides of my garden beds and among my peas and beans. Pests and snails love nasturtiums even more, so if given an option, they go for the nasturtiums over my veggies.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

elise the great posted:

I just dumped half an envelope of 1500 ladybugs on my porch garden and I'm going to hear the dying screams of aphids in my sleep

Also I think I gotta repot some plamps tomorrow-- my nasturtium, lemon balm, and dwarf sage are sharing a long planter and they all seem like they're having a bad time. The lemon balm and dwarf sages both have leaf curling, the kind I associate with wet feet, while the nasturtium is leggy and all its leaves are crisping up and dying. It's just covered in tiny little leaves that die before they can get bigger than a nickel. HOW AM I KILLING A NASTURTIUM

Is the nasty urchin getting enough sunlight?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I'd been worried it's getting too much sunlight tbh, it's been hot as blazes in Seattle and I've had it sitting on my porch... but then I started looking at it closer and I wonder if maybe you're right.

This is the poor bastard in question. Its neighbors look unhappy too:

Meanwhile the oregano and thyme one shelf up are booming so hard they've buried the tiny tarragon, which is about to get repotted in hopes that it survives:

And the dill, fennel, marjoram, and french sorrel blew up so fast they outgrew their shelves during my weekend of absence and are now all wacky and crazed from pressing against the next shelf up:

(The dill could use a little cleaning up, but Raz likes to bite it.)

The guy at the nursery convinced me that I could totally plant "three small herbs to a window planter" but this was not true. I'm probably gonna have to repot everything. I just want to know what's going on with that one planter before I kill everything in it by accident.

By the way, the pineapple recovered nicely with lots of sun and a return to extremely scarce watering.

elise the great fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 7, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Does that area get six or more hours of direct sunlight or does it only get hella hot? (As a resident of New England I'm jealous of this phenomenon you call "heat")

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

As a resident of Georgia, you can have my heat. You can have my humidity too. I'll throw in my mosquitoes at no extra charge.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

I know it gets at least four or five hours of BLINDINGLY DIRECT SUNLIGHT because I have to have blackout shades on my bedroom windows to keep the room from becoming a swelter box.

But I'm starting to question whether maybe the metal shelves are blocking too much light. The rapid growth of the dill and fennel could be etoliation; the lovage in the foreground is recovering from aphids, but kinda looks leggy too...

I think I'm just gonna plop everything out on the other balcony, where eight hours of sunlight per day has made my tomatoes into monsters bigger than any others I've seen yet in Seattle this year. My basil and snap pea plants got sunburned! Whatever plants die from exposure will just be dead, and if they suddenly pop up and look happier, I'll retire the back balcony to low-light plants and just focus on cramming as much delicious foliage into the more exposed balcony as possible.

(Envy all you want, my house has no air conditioning and the heat and sunlight all punish my west-facing window-wall mercilessly.)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, four or five hours may just not be enough for some of those plants. Lemon balm and mints in general really like sun. They can survive in partial sun but don't thrive. Anything leggy needs more sunlight, probably.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Okay, so I did a little gardening this afternoon...

Here's the tomato porch. You can see my sunburnt peas and basil, and in the foreground the lemon balm and dwarf sage, now rearranged with a little more wiggle room because their neighbor the nasty urchin (v good, I approve) is now in the end of the box with the peas. I also put the wonky-rear end dill, still in its pot, into the end of the planter next to the nasturtium, figuring that it'll be happier in the bright sunlight.

Here's the rest of the tomato porch. I also have a fig sapling in the corner; it had some curled leaves at first, but once I pushed some of the mulch back, it straightened right out and is having a lovely year.

The thyme and oregano are still on top of the shelf on the more shaded balcony, but I pulled out the tarragon... and put one of the mints where the chives used to be. I want mojitos, dammit!

The tarragon in its new habitat, the rosemary in a larger pot (I had put it in a terribly shallow succulent pot before when I ran out of pots), and the lovage, which is gonna have to go somewhere else anyway because it keeps blowing back into the shelf. The ladybugs ate every last drat aphid on the whole thing last night. There is not one left.

And the rest of the kids, which I'm gonna have to figure out sunny places for. You can see the dwarf bronze fennel in the lower left corner, and in the upper left corner you can see the french sorrel and marjoram and how crowded they were in the box with the fennel. Mid-left is the curly parsley that my friend ripped up and jammed in a very small pot (now home to the tarragon) and gave me-- it refused to die, so I guess it's making a home in a leftover tomato seedling pot for now. The flat-leaf delicious parsley and the chives are in the middle, and around the top and bottom you can see my catnip (ostensibly, although my cat doesn't care about it), applemint, artemisia, and orange-painted toes.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Does that area get six or more hours of direct sunlight or does it only get hella hot? (As a resident of New England I'm jealous of this phenomenon you call "heat")
To be more exacting: which direction does this window face? Western and Southern windows are the best because they won't get overheated by late afternoon from the passive solar heat gains. Although from that picture, it looks like you have have an overhang or balcony above that window, which would make it rough. I've been doing a lot of HVAC analysis math the last couple semesters and with a latitude, city+state, and the direction the window is facing I can probably te3ll you exactly how much sun you get, if you can measure the depth and distance of from the window (usually directly vertical) for the shading above it.

I used to be able to just share a link that you could use your ownself to figure that stuff out, but since Trump got elected a lot of the EPA.gov website's free tools for property owners have just flat-out been removed with a hatchet (you can often see vestigal links and documentation, but the actual free web-based software tools are just flat gone.. For instance if you're a rich person with a huge property portfolio or a contractor trying to build a project estimate before and after, you could use a tool called "Portfolio Manager" for free to make assumptions of how much money it would cost to heat/cool your properties based on their size and location and usage, etc.. :arghfist: )

As for poorly lit windows, try some spinach and other salad greens, most of them prefer a lot of shade and will rapidly sunburn then bolt and die in most climes I've lived in, once it nears summer. The darker and redder the leaf, the healthier for you, and the less direct sun it'll survive in.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 8, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Something knocked down all of my corn today... It bent a eucalyptus and tomato plant in the process.

I've ruled out deer. It was windy today, and it's possible that there may have been a very precise gust, but that seems unlikely. I'm pretty sure a loving squirrel tried to jump on it and tackled all of it to the ground.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Thanks for the pointers! That smaller, shadier balcony has a glass porch-wall thing, but is otherwise open to air, and the overhang is at the same level with the glass itself. The way you describe salad greens makes them sound perfect for that dark little closet of a space-- only the very outer edge seems to get full light for a decent amount of time. (I've been doing a sorta sundial thing today.)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
"A sorta sundial thing" is effing brilliant. All you need is a notepad and a clock, and consistency of checking it every other hour for a couple days, every month, and you'll have enough info to know what you want to plant, or what you want in your next home (I wish I'd known how to calculate that poo poo before I bought a house, would've saved me seasons of work AND mossy roof problems lol!).

That balcony with the nasturtiums, I'm gonna cross my fingers and how the part on the right that's jutting out in some pictures - that's on your west side (I am not a construction or architecture dude past the basics for what I do, but those are either on purpose to block evening sun from making your place crazy gross hot from evening sun, or it's because you live in some big concrete box made by a guy in horn rim glasses between 45 and like 1990). That means that window is going to start eating shade at basically any time past like high noon, with rapidly diminishing returns - which is great if you had a couch in front of it and sat there to watch movies.

Shading physics are extremely obnoxious if you've got to work with lighting or HVAC systems or if you want to truly be an excellent architect, and a lot of the data is from ASHRAE and similar places which require memberships and big tombs of tables, which is why I'm mad some of the web-based EPA stuff is gone at least for the foreseeable next several years.. But it's actually not that hard if you care to explore the basic concepts (such as making a sundial measurement in the space, then adding in latitude to figure out how much sun clearance you might have between a certain range of dates (or all dates) based on building facing etc.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's the most wonderful time of the year :allears:

The plants, a week ago:

Tamed and re-trellised after harvest:

Inaugural tomato sandwich: smoked corn mayo, pickled red onions, and three thick slices of your largest tomato on a sweet potato and onion sourdough. Dry roasted okra on the side.

Bonus NOT from my garden: I sometimes inspect wastewater treatment plants. Apparently tomato seeds survive the treatment process so they sometimes pop up:

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Something knocked down all of my corn today... It bent a eucalyptus and tomato plant in the process.

Goondolances :(

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Can't wait for tomater season aaaag

coyo7e posted:

"A sorta sundial thing" is effing brilliant. All you need is a notepad and a clock, and consistency of checking it every other hour for a couple days, every month, and you'll have enough info to know what you want to plant, or what you want in your next home (I wish I'd known how to calculate that poo poo before I bought a house, would've saved me seasons of work AND mossy roof problems lol!).

That balcony with the nasturtiums, I'm gonna cross my fingers and how the part on the right that's jutting out in some pictures - that's on your west side (I am not a construction or architecture dude past the basics for what I do, but those are either on purpose to block evening sun from making your place crazy gross hot from evening sun, or it's because you live in some big concrete box made by a guy in horn rim glasses between 45 and like 1990). That means that window is going to start eating shade at basically any time past like high noon, with rapidly diminishing returns - which is great if you had a couch in front of it and sat there to watch movies.

Shading physics are extremely obnoxious if you've got to work with lighting or HVAC systems or if you want to truly be an excellent architect, and a lot of the data is from ASHRAE and similar places which require memberships and big tombs of tables, which is why I'm mad some of the web-based EPA stuff is gone at least for the foreseeable next several years.. But it's actually not that hard if you care to explore the basic concepts (such as making a sundial measurement in the space, then adding in latitude to figure out how much sun clearance you might have between a certain range of dates (or all dates) based on building facing etc.

Man, I wish I'd known about those cool tools before they were axed. :(

Also, elise, you can trellis nasty urchins. I'm on mobile so I can't make out if you've already done so!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My wife and I have hit the "gently caress it, pasta sauce time" stage of tomato overload. Eight pounds are on the table right now and probably four more could be picked. I find myself thinking that maybe if I left the enclosure open for a day the squirrels might help out a bit.

And let's just say that two eggplant were a huge mistake.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I just acquired a couple of Earthboxes. I'd like to start with some tomatoes, I guess just garden-variety hybrids that grow like crazy. Any tips other than keep them really well watered?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Well frick those tomato pictures fill me with unholy lust. I cannot WAIT for tomato season to finally leak into the Pacific Northwest.

Anyway, my balconies both face directly west, and it does get crazy gross hot from evening sun. I mean CRAZY gross hot. It seems to have been built in the '80s or '90s and it's basically a pressure cooker in here-- the pineapple sits in a window, where it thrived all winter because it never ever gets even slightly cold indoors. This being the PNW, summertime comes with 0430 sunrises and 2230 sunsets, which we pay for with lateral sunlight (that the side wall of my balcony blocks, come to think of it).

I'm seriously tempted now to start calculating sunlight exposure and whatnot, by the way. That is some really cool information and helps me understand a lot better how my porch can be hot enough to burn my feet but still not be getting enough direct sun to keep a dang parsley alive.

Here's an IMPRESSIVELY BAD mspaint layout of my tiny balcony garden setup, anyway.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

I've never used Earthboxes, but my container tomato experience has taught me that drainage can become a serious issue that blights your tomato season short. I put a shovel-scoop of clean gravel in the bottom of each bucket this year and it seems to have worked well so far. Also, tomatoes haaaaaaaaaaate crowding and you're gonna want at least a five-gallon bucket's worth of dirt for each one (and that will become precariously rootbound by the end of the summer).

Other than that, make sure you have a good proportion of potting soil to compost, maybe add some squished-up eggshells for calcium, and make sure you mulch/stake/cage very early. Once they get bigger, I usually trim off any lower branches that risk touching the dirt or catching splatter. I don't pinch suckers, although if the foliage gets too dense and the heart of the tomato plant gets crowded, I'll snip back some non-fruiting branches to keep it from getting moldy in there. And I use cotton yarn to loosely sling the branches of indeterminates to their cages so that they don't wander off the balcony. And I give them pride of place for sunlight-- they are hungry lil fuckers and the more sun they get the happier they are.

I'm a huge fan of Sungolds and Sweet Millions for easy, hard-to-kill tomatoes that bear all season. They're cherry tomatoes and they ripen on a daily basis once the season is underway. I CAN'T WAIT

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Also, elise, you can trellis nasty urchins. I'm on mobile so I can't make out if you've already done so!

This poor drat thing is too piddly to bother trellising at this point. If it survives and gets a little bigger, though, I might just put together an actual trellis for it... the peas are climbing a yarn net I half-assed on a boring afternoon, because I am a lazy gardener with no dignity.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
Raspberry problem. I'm in Portland, OR. I bought and planted two raspberry plants this April; one Fall Gold and one Amity. The Fall Gold is kicking rear end, but the Amity is most definitely not. Each Amity stalk started growing well, but quickly shriveled. In the first two pics below, you can see that new leaves are trying to pop up, but I'm certain they'll quickly shrivel.

Amity #1:

Amity #2:

Both plants, proximity:

Fall Gold:

I'm pretty new to gardening and raspberries in general, but my best guess is verticillium wilt. There are wild blackberries nearby, but the strange bit is that the soil was sawdust/chips in a big hole of native soil. I'd expect a disease would take longer to spread into the fresh bed, but maybe I simply have no clue. Thus far, the Fall Gold has been unaffected and is doing great for year 1. Any ideas for salvaging the Amity or is it lost? Ideas on the problem?

Magicaljesus fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 9, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
hi gardening thread, this is my garden! I just planted a bunch of corn and a lettuce carpet, along with some sunflowers and other colourful stuff. can't wait for this all to be giant.

this is from about a week ago, stuff is much bigger already. I'll be sure to post pics through the season as this is our first time doing anything so large scale, its pretty exciting

elise the great
May 1, 2012

I have serious heart eyes going at the thought of all those tomatoes and all that basil aaaaaaaaa

Can't wait to see how everything looks when it gets humongous!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Looks wonderful! So many gardens to admire in this thread.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for the kind words, these are indeterminate (mostly san marzano, few cherry beefsteak and heirloom), so right now my plans for support beyond what I have is to put a larger 10 foot stake in between groups of 4/5 plants, and then run twine from the existing posts to that. then tie off the tomato to the twine as it grows, making kind of tomato tower things. I'll also run some twine between the original stakes to get some of the offshoot branches some support. is that a feasable plan? i haven't found anyone doing it quite like that

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Walrus posted:

thanks for the kind words, these are indeterminate (mostly san marzano, few cherry beefsteak and heirloom), so right now my plans for support beyond what I have is to put a larger 10 foot stake in between groups of 4/5 plants, and then run twine from the existing posts to that. then tie off the tomato to the twine as it grows, making kind of tomato tower things. I'll also run some twine between the original stakes to get some of the offshoot branches some support. is that a feasable plan? i haven't found anyone doing it quite like that

I made a twine setup like this a couple of days ago after all my corn got knocked over. It seems fine so far.

Here is my garden because I don't think I've posted it yet. It's a beautiful overgrown mess.

Pic 1 is our vine wall. It has some coral honeysuckle, morning glory, virginia creeper, rose, American pitcher plants, redbud, etc.
Pic 2 is the vegetable garden with many peas, tomatoes, peppers, grapes, blueberries, corn etc.
Pic 3 is a huge gifted philodendron with Asian pitcher plants and mints in the background, plus misc shade plants.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elise the great
May 1, 2012

I AM SWOONING OVER YOUR VINE WALL