Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

This isn't very FOOFy, but does anyone know why it's so difficult to get high concentrations of acetic acid in the US? Not even anhydrous/ glacial acetic acid, but like 80% acetic acid (which is recommended to beekeepers as a fumigation agent for woodware beehives that may harbor the nosema fungus). I'm guessing it must have some sort of drug making application since I can't imagine anyone making a sufficiently powerful explosive even with the best combo of super vinegar and baking soda.

I mean, acetic anhydride is one of the components of making acetylsalicylic acid, aka aspirin. It's also enough of an irritant even at modest concentrations to warrant a fume hood, and outright corrosive at higher concentrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Olesh posted:

I mean, acetic anhydride is one of the components of making acetylsalicylic acid, aka aspirin. It's also enough of an irritant even at modest concentrations to warrant a fume hood, and outright corrosive at higher concentrations.
Acetic anhydride is completely different from acetic acid. Acetic anhydride is a DEA List 2 chemical. Acetic acid does have some drug manufacturing uses but nothing particularly mainstream.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

This isn't very FOOFy, but does anyone know why it's so difficult to get high concentrations of acetic acid in the US? Not even anhydrous/ glacial acetic acid, but like 80% acetic acid (which is recommended to beekeepers as a fumigation agent for woodware beehives that may harbor the nosema fungus). I'm guessing it must have some sort of drug making application since I can't imagine anyone making a sufficiently powerful explosive even with the best combo of super vinegar and baking soda.
You can buy small and bulk glacial acetic acid here.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
It's a pretty strong acid with all the fun that entails. There's not really any consumer applications for 80% acetic acid so they don't really sell it for consumer use I guess?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
This reminds me, I should get a gallon of vinegar and a significant quantity of baking soda to make some crystalline sodium acetate to put on food. Salt 'n Vinegar flavor :getin:

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

You can though! Triacetone Triperoxide is what was used in the London bombings.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Acetic anhydride is completely different from acetic acid. Acetic anhydride is a DEA List 2 chemical. Acetic acid does have some drug manufacturing uses but nothing particularly mainstream.

My bad on the anhydride thing. I assume that means that acetic anhydride wouldn't be made from acetic acid?

Why's it a DEA list 2 chemical, out of curiousity? I remember doing a synthesis of aspirin back in high school; is there some synthesis involving acetic anhydride to make meth or something? Is there a different aspirin synthesis that we would have done?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Acetic anhydride is used when making heroin.

e: Used to add acetyl groups to morphine more specifically.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Olesh posted:

My bad on the anhydride thing. I assume that means that acetic anhydride wouldn't be made from acetic acid?

Why's it a DEA list 2 chemical, out of curiousity? I remember doing a synthesis of aspirin back in high school; is there some synthesis involving acetic anhydride to make meth or something? Is there a different aspirin synthesis that we would have done?
Keep in mind DEA list 2 is a pretty low bar, e.g. Hydrochloric acid which you can buy at every pool supply store is also list 2.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEA_list_of_chemicals

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GenericOverusedName posted:

A lot of chemical names are basically just german compound words that describe the structure, if it follows standard naming conventions. Hardest part for that compound is the first part on the right, isowurtzitane. It is describing the shape of the weird carbon cage, but that's not something you run into often like an propyl group or whatever so it's a weird word for a weird cage. After that you have hexa (6) aza (aromatic nitrogen stuff), so six nitrogens in that cage structure replacing some of the carbons, and then hexa (6) nitro groups attached to it.

TNT is short for trinitrotoluene. It's a toluene (a benzene with a methyl group on it, IUPAC name would be 'methylbenzene' but TNT predates that common usage) with three nitro groups on it.

Problem is a lot of earlier chemistry was figured out before we figured out a standardized way (or two) of describing chemicals. A lot of things have weird names as a result.

I know but I don't have a chemistry background so a lot of the stuff doesn't really stick :3:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Olesh posted:

I can pick up muriatic acid from my local lumberyard and all sorts of hellishly flammable and noxious paint solvents from the local general store though. I can get high concentrations of liquid ammonia in gallon jugs for cleaning ovens too. I don't need to jump through any particular hoops to do so.

Gobbeldygook posted:

You can buy small and bulk glacial acetic acid here.

This is what I ended up doing before I posted. It was pretty much the only place I could order from that wasn't a sketchy eBay supplier! I was a little surprised that no one local could supply it, and all the listings on Amazon were I stocked or unavailable for shipment to the US.

Next week is "fun with acids" week.

AA is for Quitters posted:

The world's worst vinegar baking soda bomb? :wtf: Thanks for setting me straight!

Vitamins posted:

Acetic anhydride is used when making heroin.

e: Used to add acetyl groups to morphine more specifically.

Weird! Thank you.

I'll update if anything interesting happens when I use the acid. Let's hope that it's boring and that I handle it safely. :sun:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

AA is for Quitters posted:

Actually, TATP is acetone and peroxide, not acetic acid. You still can't do anything too interesting with acetic acid.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

darthbob88 posted:

Actually, TATP is acetone and peroxide, not acetic acid. You still can't do anything too interesting with acetic acid.

And acetone itself is totally uncontrolled. I making TATP was such a concern that they made acetic acid hard to get, you'd think you wouldn't be able to buy 100% acetone at hardware stores and pharmacies.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

it works as a shittier heroin precursor if you can't get anhydride

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Acetic acid is controlled to cheapen the public's taste for good vinaigrettes after lobbying by Big Salad.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Phanatic posted:

And acetone itself is totally uncontrolled. I making TATP was such a concern that they made acetic acid hard to get, you'd think you wouldn't be able to buy 100% acetone at hardware stores and pharmacies.

Which preparation of TATP are you using that involves acetic acid? Everything I've ever seen says to use Hydrochloric.

I did note that you absolutely must keep the acetone/acid mixture cold, otherwise it starts fuming chloroacetone, one of the OG tear gasses. That was fun.

TBH, the whole TATP preparation is a bunch of fun.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

That is a bad comment and nobody should pay attention to it, in particular people who aren't experienced synthetic chemists. Making that material is a good way to accidentally kill yourself.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

TBH, the whole TATP preparation is a bunch of fun.
Not as fun as Methyl Nitrate! :supaburn:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I work for a company in Australia that buys the stuff (90%) in 1000L pallecons. Plenty of suppliers for it.
Try chemical companies that serve the food industry?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

B.H. Facials posted:

God, chapter 1.12 in TM 31-210. We had a lot of fun with that on Coleman Demo Range at Ft. Bragg.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Gobbeldygook posted:

Keep in mind DEA list 2 is a pretty low bar, e.g. Hydrochloric acid which you can buy at every pool supply store is also list 2.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEA_list_of_chemicals

I once asked my perpetually-sniffly SO to pick up some muriatic acid while he was out shopping, so I could get the zinc off some galvanized steel I wanted to weld; he looked it up on wikipedia and told me "no, get it yourself, I'm already buying one precursor today, I don't want to be on the higher-tier list."

Can't blame him.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

God, chapter 1.12 in TM 31-210. We had a lot of fun with that on Coleman Demo Range at Ft. Bragg.
Anything not classified produced by the US government is public domain, so it ain't even :filez: to google the number and download the official US Army Anarchist's Cookbook. I have a physical copy I bought from a surplus store.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You can get significant amounts of toluene and chloromethane from paint thinner via distillation (i dunno about potential azeotropes tho)
And small amounts of methanol, methyl ethyl ketone and if youre lucky, tetrahydrofuran.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Oooh, that's a fun little molecule. Username very relevant.

"Wikipedia posted:

One danger posed by THF follows from its tendency to form highly explosive peroxides on storage in air.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

There's quite a few ethers that spontaneously form explosive peroxides when stored in light or air. Finding very old bottles of the stuff is always fun.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

B.H. Facials posted:

Two of my least favourite functional groups, together at last!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

FOOF thread: dammit I made what amounts to krokodil but it makes your limbs explode

TCC thread: dammit my limb exploded

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You can get significant amounts of toluene and chloromethane from paint thinner via distillation (i dunno about potential azeotropes tho)
And small amounts of methanol, methyl ethyl ketone and if youre lucky, tetrahydrofuran.

I will always remember taking dry THF from the distillation room with a slightly leaky syringe and seeing the droplet literally cut my glove open as it went. The joys of organic solvents.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

thecluckmeme posted:

FOOF thread: dammit I made what amounts to krokodil but it makes your limbs explode

TCC thread: dammit my limb exploded

*Arm reduction joke here*

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I survived diluting and fumigating with glacial acetic acid. All my fingats are as good as when the adventure started. Since my home isn't equipped with the appropriate fume hood, I used a vapor respirator plus recommended PPE and worked outside. Nothing FOOFed, much to no one's disappointment.

Significantly less interesting than synthesizing my own salicylic acid. Was that a pretty common high school chemistry lab? Anyway, thanks!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I once cleaned a coffee maker with glacial acetic acid. That I diluted first.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

pmchem posted:

:stare: That seems like overkill.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

pmchem posted:

Did you dilute it yourself?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, I mean, I diluted it significantly. Hooray for chemistry. We had the coffee maker, lab next door had the acid.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
A world where glacial acetic acid is more accessible than vinegar. A chemist's world.

I won't lie, it's really tempting to make a hellish baking soda volcano, but I'm afraid of being maimed. The acetic acid goes back to the basement until I need to fumigate wood again.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

pmchem posted:

Yeah, I mean, I diluted it significantly. Hooray for chemistry. We had the coffee maker, lab next door had the acid.

The safety person in me is mad at you for ignoring the "lab use only" label on the bottle.

Otherwise: that's being resourceful!

I find the stuff neat since it freezes at just below room temperature.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

i mean if the lab uses the coffeemaker, it seems like it's being used for it's intended purpose

Shikantaza
Sep 10, 2016
I you want concentrated acetic acid you could distill it from regular vinegar but that would require some glassware.

In other news I am planning on using HF for the first time in a week or two so this may or may not be my last post

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shikantaza posted:

I you want concentrated acetic acid you could distill it from regular vinegar but that would require some glassware.

In other news I am planning on using HF for the first time in a week or two so this may or may not be my last post

I used HF like 2664 times this week.

Fear it. Fear it always. Also wear lab coat, gloves, and goggles while working in a hood for all dilutions. Do not open the concentrated jug outside of a hood ever.

Oh I guess don't use glass too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ignimbrite posted:

Oooh, that's a fun little molecule. Username very relevant.

LupusAter posted:

I will always remember taking dry THF from the distillation room with a slightly leaky syringe and seeing the droplet literally cut my glove open as it went. The joys of organic solvents.

Its mainly intesting for the above reason.
Its an incredibly, incredibly useful solvent. I'm loathe to call it a universal solvent but it comes close.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Mustached Demon posted:

I used HF like 2664 times this week.

Fear it. Fear it always. Also wear lab coat, gloves, and goggles while working in a hood for all dilutions. Do not open the concentrated jug outside of a hood ever.

Oh I guess don't use glass too.

Wait, Demons are supposed to give bad advice.

Unless this is a overextended metaphor on the evils of OSHA, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bubblyblubber posted:

Wait, Demons are supposed to give bad advice.

Unless this is a overextended metaphor on the evils of OSHA, I guess.

Fine. Chug the HF. Drink it down until you no longer have teeth. Or bones.