Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcsquad12 posted:

I guess It's more of a mix. GW sales go in waves with each new army release. That's where they make most of their money with new adopters, but between releases it's more the older grogs who keep them afloat. The kids either move onto other fads or become the grogs

Timmy turns 12 every day. Sometimes multiple times per day. It actually benefits the company if after he drops his cash he never comes back until he can afford to drop multiple hundreds per visit again. The staffing cost of dealing with a grog looking to get a few paints and maybe a box of that new unit once every few weeks vs introducing some new Timmy to whichever game caught his eye and selling him the starter box, tools, paints, glue and maybe a book is actually strongly in favour of eternal Timmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

Monocled Falcon posted:

Okay, so I know I'm jumping into a derail that was winding down, but it crystallized something in my mind that's been kicking around for a while.

This thread is the only place I've seen that holds to the idea that 'warhams was originally a satire of '80s Britain' but if there is one thing is definitely satire it's that, despite 'there is only war' the imperium is actually quite bad at leveraging it's resources for war. Space Marines and the upper ranks of the Imperial Guard and Navy are obsessed with honor and personal glory, and, simply put, if ever a STC on proper mass production or a meritocratic civil service, the Imperium could conquer the Galaxy in a couple decades.

Fascists assuming that war is this fundamentally masculine activity, and that no woman could possibly have any talent for is... I believe it's actually what fasicts think all the time.

Naturally this is just another subtle joke that got left in after GW dropped that line, and now the current culture war thing means that if they wanted to deal with it, they'd face a massive horde of screeching, poo poo throwing monkeys complaining about political correctness.

gently caress off

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Started reading Eisenhorn. Some good one liners so far.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'm almost done with The Guns of Tanith, are all of the remaining 8 books in the series in the one-campaign-per-book format with a few ancillary developments, or is there a multiple-book-spanning arc coming anytime soon that builds a bigger story?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Most tend to be one offs. That being said there is somewhat of an arcing plot between honour guard and sabbat martyr.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finished the Space Shark book. Not sure I remember anything about it.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm almost done with The Guns of Tanith, are all of the remaining 8 books in the series in the one-campaign-per-book format with a few ancillary developments, or is there a multiple-book-spanning arc coming anytime soon that builds a bigger story?

Books are individual campaigns or missions but there are three-book cycles that fill out the rest of the series
I think the order is something along the lines of this, but I've been on the road/sick for ever and don't have my books at hand-
Honour Guard, Guns, Straight Silver - The Saint
Sabbat Martyr, Traitor General, His Last Command - The Lost
Armor of Contempt, Only in Death, Blood Pact - ?????
Salvation's Reach, Warmaster, Untitled - The Victory

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Founding consists of First and Only, Ghostmaker and Necropolis
The Saint goes from Honour Guard, Gunst of Tanith, Straight Silver, and Sabbat Martyr
The Lost is Traitor General, His Last Command, The Armour of Contempt, and Only in Death
The Victory is Blood Pact, Salvation's Reach, and The Warmaster, and then who knows.

There are also several short stories, such as The Iron Star, which immediately follows events in Only in Death, Of Their Lives in the Ruins of Their Cities which is set during Ghostmaker, one set immediately after Necropolis that I forget the name of, and then a bunch of post Salvation's Reach stories in the Sabbat Crusade anthology.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Armor of Contempt is my favorite of them all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MariusLecter posted:

Armor of Contempt is my favorite of them all.

Mine as well. Good god that book is grimdark. It wasn't a liberation, it was a mercy killing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm still partial to the classics. Necropolis is the only 40k book that's made me tear up some, at the end.

And would probably make a drat good stand-alone movie, much better than any Space Marines garbage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd say that Armageddon would probably be the ideal Warhammer 40K story to adapt to film. Yarrick on the ground, Helbrecht in the sky.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Legion of the Damned?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I don't think Space Marines would be a good way to introduce 40k to film, honestly. There's a lot of baggage to get through for the ordinary viewer. The Guard, by contrast, are much easier to grasp, and tend to be much more human and relatable.

Necropolis is also an elegantly simple scenario with a broad range of characters, including women.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Meridian posted:

Started reading Eisenhorn. Some good one liners so far.

Agreed, almost reminds me of hard boiled detective novels.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Cythereal posted:

I'm still partial to the classics. Necropolis is the only 40k book that's made me tear up some, at the end.

And would probably make a drat good stand-alone movie, much better than any Space Marines garbage.

Wait, what happened at the end that was so sad again?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Wait, what happened at the end that was so sad again?

Dorden :smith:
Caffran gets a family :gbsmith:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Immanentized posted:

Dorden :smith:
Caffran gets a family :gbsmith:

For me, it was the coda piece. The artist making a statue of a simple Guardsman even as Vervunhive is abandoned to the ages.

The simple humanity of the Guard, especially when Abnett's writing them, gets me emotionally invested in a way no Space Marine book (not even First Heretic and Betrayer) has. These are just normal dudes, fighting for other normal dudes in very normal, very human ways. And all too often, suffering and dying in very human ways.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I always thought Eisenhorn would make for a good HBO mini series. The first scene of the first book where he is having a running gun fight while people are coming out of cryo-sleep would be an amazing scene to see come to life.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I always thought Eisenhorn would make for a good HBO mini series. The first scene of the first book where he is having a running gun fight while people are coming out of cryo-sleep would be an amazing scene to see come to life.

They kind of did with the video game adaptation but it could be much better. The problem with anything 40k is that there is a lot of backstory to explain. It might not get the required ratings because of this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

rocket_man38 posted:

They kind of did with the video game adaptation but it could be much better. The problem with anything 40k is that there is a lot of backstory to explain. It might not get the required ratings because of this.

One of the reasons I like the idea of Necropolis for a movie adaptation. Good guy space soldiers trying to defend space city from evil space soldiers with more superweapons up their sleeve than the Galactic Empire.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Cythereal posted:

Necropolis is absolutely my favorite. After that, Traitor General.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Nah, just skip on the exposition, they did AGOT (initially) pretty elegantly without bogging you down in detail.

"Heres a detective in space, he battles horrors." Have the detail expand with the story. Theres quite a bit of 40K which is standard sci fi, people would grasp it pretty quick.

Edit: Yeah necropolis would be ideal for adaptation, you don't need to go into explaining chaos and gods and all that stuff, just present Chaos as the awful body horror monsters that they are.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I don't think Space Marines would be a good way to introduce 40k to film, honestly. There's a lot of baggage to get through for the ordinary viewer. The Guard, by contrast, are much easier to grasp, and tend to be much more human and relatable.

Necropolis is also an elegantly simple scenario with a broad range of characters, including women.

This is my take as well. I think it would pay off tremendously to play the first few movies off with space marines being literal legend spoken of in hushed tones. Then you could introduce them with Helsreach or even Salvation's Reach where they are appropriately scary to the human actors.

Necropolis even has an after action report on a chapter torching the spike and doing the ignoble job of putting down Zoican survivors.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Um they DID make a 40k movie and it was about space marines and it sucked a whole lot.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Have it be a Necropolis movie but at the end have some Space Marines touch down and wreck poo poo with no explanation. That'd be a cool finale.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Event Horizon was a pretty good 40k movie imo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What was the gaunts book where he meets up with some eldar at the end. I think that was the last one I read.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I recently reread Eisenhorn, and it's still an excellent read

Glossia is still dumb as gently caress though

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

What was the gaunts book where he meets up with some eldar at the end. I think that was the last one I read.

That's the second one iirc? The first one ends with them fighting the men of iron or whatever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh I didn't get very far then.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

euphronius posted:

Ghostmaker. I don't think that book gets enough credit. No its not the best and I liked first and only better of the two short story collections, but a lot of the individual stories in that book are killer, like Larkin's hallucinations or Bragg's understated intelligence.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

rocket_man38 posted:

Agreed, almost reminds me of hard boiled detective novels.

"Who do you work for?"
"The Emperor."
"Well, imagine I'm him and you won't be far off."

:vince:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Meridian posted:

"Who do you work for?"
"The Emperor."

:vince:

Everyone shits themselves when someone brings out a Rosette.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Syncopated posted:

Event Horizon was a pretty good 40k movie imo.

Absolutely true.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can someone lightly spoil what happens at the end of His Last Command? I think maybe I read it. Thank you.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Hustlin Floh posted:

Finished the Space Shark book. Not sure I remember anything about it.

The chapter's name is Space Sharks.

:lol:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

euphronius posted:

Can someone lightly spoil what happens at the end of His Last Command? I think maybe I read it. Thank you.

Gaunt realizes that the gates to the deeper sections of the cities are actually warp portals similar to ones he saw on Gereon. While the Guard pulls out of the cities to nuke them, the Ghosts hold a rearguard action and try to collapse one of the gateways to stop the archenemy from pouring through. Feygor dies trying to set the satchel charge, and Wilder gives command back to Gaunt just before diving headfirst into the enemy forces to cover the withdrawal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thanks mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Meridian posted:

"Who do you work for?"
"The Emperor."