Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Disinterested posted:

In this theory, you don't get ownership of land by pure virtue of mixing labour with it - that is conditional upon the land being unowned. The 'labour mixing' theory is supposed to be a historical image of how property came into being, not a program for adverse possession. That's one reason why it was important to declare certain lands terra nullius (though expropriation of native land in any event did not occur according to a Lockean homesteading doctrine).

Naturally land ownership has to have some sort of paper record associated with it which is why libertarians are always like "well of course if my house was on native american land I would be happy to pay reparations to the local native american tribe, so long as a living descendant has proof that their ancestor owned the land"

Disinterested posted:

Regarding slavery in general, libertarians are typically opposed to it on theoretical grounds but inconsistently from thinker to thinker, place to place, and movement to movement.

I was going to bring this up as well, there have been different libertarian posters in this very thread who have taken up hard opposition to slavery (marking it as a very specific exception to the "you can make a contract for anything" rules) while one guy took the rational approach that slaves were never really people in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

QuarkJets posted:

I was going to bring this up as well, there have been different libertarian posters in this very thread who have taken up hard opposition to slavery (marking it as a very specific exception to the "you can make a contract for anything" rules) while one guy took the rational approach that slaves were never really people in the first place

That's the other trapdoor under the logic, to assert that x is not a person and therefore not subject to the same rights.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

White Coke posted:

So what's the Libertarian position regarded slaves and ownership of land by mixing your labor with it? I know that they'll try and justify why the descendants of slaves don't have any claim to property, but I don't know how.

Our resident libertarian interlocutor / punching bag felt that slavery was wrong, and that the descendants of slaves are absolutely entitled to a piece of the land their ancestors were forced to work. That is, of course, only applies to parts of the specific plantations their specific ancestors worked, and these claims would each need to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt on a case by case basis. But hey, once you've worked your way through your dozens of cases against the dozens of plantations your ancestors worked on, using all the documentation that totally exists to prove your argument, and once the plantations have been decided among all of the descendants of their victims, you'll have plenty of tiny subplots of worn out farmland spread across a dozen states! That is, of course, provided your case concluded before the case the Native American tribes that were forced from the land in the first place brought. Then the perpetrators' descendants wouldn't even own the land, and you'd have no case against the new owners, since they did nothing to you.

Disinterested posted:

That's the other trapdoor under the logic, to assert that x is not a person and therefore not subject to the same rights.

No, see, they just weren't using it productively. Gotta have cotton farms and white skin picket fences, or it doesn't count.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Disinterested posted:

That's the Hoppe approach right, where engaging in certain categories of crimethink erase your human rights and turn you into a free good which any citizen can convert into property.

Crimethink includes: Marxism, communism, democracy, liberalism, homosexuality, miscegenation, racial integration, non-Christian religions, non-European languages, all other cultures besides mine

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

That's the Hoppe approach right, where engaging in certain categories of crimethink erase your human rights and turn you into a free good which any citizen can convert into property.

Crimethink includes: Marxism, communism, democracy, liberalism, homosexuality, miscegenation, racial integration, non-Christian religions, non-European languages, all other cultures besides mine

There are definitely more garbage Libertarians who think enemies of the free society can be gas chambered at will, but I can't recall if Hoppe is one. It's definitely an attitude you'll find amongst libertarians on the more insane parts of the internet.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

IIRC jrod would argue that productivity was a necessary requirement in determining whether a piece of land could be homesteaded, which i assume is how some libertarians argue that native americans aren't owned any reparations of any sort

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

IIRC jrod would argue that productivity was a necessary requirement in determining whether a piece of land could be homesteaded, which i assume is how some libertarians argue that native americans aren't owned any reparations of any sort

They can simply assert that Native Americans who didn't practice settled agriculture weren't owners at all.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Yea I questioned him specifically on this point and his reply was a mix of "they didn't work the land, not really" and "they would have to have proof that they owned the land."

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

WampaLord posted:

Yea I questioned him specifically on this point and his reply was a mix of "they didn't work the land, not really" and "they would have to have proof that they owned the land."

"Proof" of course means "in writing," and no treaties don't count, those are statist.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Disinterested posted:

There are definitely more garbage Libertarians who think enemies of the free society can be gas chambered at will, but I can't recall if Hoppe is one. It's definitely an attitude you'll find amongst libertarians on the more insane parts of the internet.

Hoppe's Covenant Communities bullshit contains all sorts of language about how there can be no tolerance of philosophies and behaviors that are antithetical to the community itself, and what should happen to anyone practicing them, all of which is clearly window-dressing for "shoot the bastards."

Disinterested posted:

They can simply assert that Native Americans who didn't practice settled agriculture weren't owners at all.

More interesting* is the case of those Native Americans who did practice settled agriculture, who's expropriation is usually seen by libertarians as an excuse to blame the Evil State for something while simultaneously coming up with any number of reasons why, say, the Cherokee have no claim on their former lands in Georgia.

*In the usual sense of morbid curiosity.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 17, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I tried asking jrodbot about these questions this morning.

https://twitter.com/JRodimus_Prime/status/876078686113607680

and

quote:

We feel we need to build upon and advance beyond the concepts of individual liberty, sound money, property rights above the survival of the reason the libertarian understanding of private property is better taken care of environmentally than public land, where there is actionable scientific proof that changes in behavior today can greatly reduce human suffering will result from civilized behavior and exercise more control over the scarce resource than you. Once property is only one example. The more regulations we pass, and the Lockean theory of natural events could reduce the numbers of human interactions must necessarily commit aggression.

were the results.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Jrod was against slavery but thought it was wrong to fight a war to abolish it. He also believed that Qatar, a literal slave state, were freer than Sweden.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Alhazred posted:

Jrod was against slavery but thought it was wrong to fight a war to abolish it. He also believed that Qatar, a literal slave state, were freer than Sweden.

And that racial profiling in law enforcement just made sense.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

WrenP-Complete posted:

We feel we need to build upon and advance beyond the concepts of individual liberty, sound money, property rights above the survival of the reason the libertarian understanding of private property is better taken care of environmentally than public land, where there is actionable scientific proof that changes in behavior today can greatly reduce human suffering will result from civilized behavior and exercise more control over the scarce resource than you. Once property is only one example. The more regulations we pass, and the Lockean theory of natural events could reduce the numbers of human interactions must necessarily commit aggression.

the bot is definitely passing the Libertarian Turing Test

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

divabot posted:

the bot is definitely passing the Libertarian Turing Test

Which is more than Jrod ever did.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Give libertarians some credit; they mostly wouldn't make those grammar errors.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

Give libertarians some credit; they mostly wouldn't make those grammar errors.

Because they would make other?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I played with programming in some better grammar.

https://twitter.com/JRodimus_Prime/status/876114215622332416

https://twitter.com/JRodimus_Prime/status/876114561421725698

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Alhazred posted:

Because they would make other?

You and I both know a libertarian knows how to write a run-on sentence.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

:perfect:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Alhazred posted:

And that calling Qatar a slave state was a slap in the face to the real victims of slavery.

Such as the upper-class American taxpayer.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

VideoTapir posted:

You and I both know a libertarian knows how to write a run-on sentence.

But is there a market for them?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

And that calling Qatar a slave state was a slap in the face to the real victims of slavery.

The absolute best part of that was watching him try desperately, and fail horribly, to wall of text himself out of that one. Then we all pointed out that where he got the information was a rich person shill that was funded by rich people; when you look at the actual criteria it was 100% "here is a bunch of bullshit we made up. Now, the best nations are the ones with the fewest regulation, lots of poverty, and possibly slavery."

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Holy loving poo poo :vince:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

The fact that this is grammatically and syntactically accurate as well as probably 100% true is wonderful.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Logical Man: Taxation is slavery, and thus the worst thing ever.

Crowd: hmm yes alright, that's a really good point

Logical Man: Actual slavery is not taxation, which means it is not slavery.

Crowd: cogent and thoughtful, wow, keep going

Logical Man: Ergo actual slavery is not all that bad!!!  Furthermore,

Crowd goes wild :vince: :bravo: :wow:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Saw this tweet, thought of this thread:

https://twitter.com/socketquest/status/876365691183661057

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jrod's clearly the third guy in line.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

VitalSigns posted:

Do you have a link I want to read this.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Do you have a link I want to read this.
I had to dig for a while, but I found it! It was in one of the other Jrod threads. This whole thread is worth reading, too, but the post where he brings up the Cato study is here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745862&pagenumber=12&perpage=40#post451470608

Caros
May 14, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Jrod's clearly the third guy in line.

He isn't nearly handsome enough.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

theshim posted:

I had to dig for a while, but I found it! It was in one of the other Jrod threads. This whole thread is worth reading, too, but the post where he brings up the Cato study is here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745862&pagenumber=12&perpage=40#post451470608

:rip: all those guys who perma-toxxed for hilldogg.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Everytime I see this thread pop up I have a brief moment of hope that perhaps the prodigal son has returned. Such a pity. In his honor, I present you vintage Jrodefeld, circa 2011.

The 250gb data cap is ruining my family. It HAS to go. posted:

Hello,

I have been a customer of Comcast Internet for several years now. I just recently got a call from Comcast after my internet was shut off. The reason given was that my family had exceeded the data cap and they were issuing a warning. They informed me that if I crossed the limit again, my internet would be shut off and I would be unable to use Comcast services for a whole year. Now, I might have not been paying attention but I was unaware of the data cap when i signed up several years ago, and I have never known about any restriction on services. No one has contacted me before now. I was informed of the Usage Meter on this website, so I took a look.

This is what my family of five have been using in the last three months:

In May, 2011 the total data used was: 1363gb
In June, 2011 the total data used was: 758gb
In July, 2011 the total data used was: 1271gb

Okay? Now, it must be known that I do NOT download illegal, copywrite material or torrents. In my house there are five people with five computers, several smartphones, a Playstation 3 and AppleTV all connected to the internet through a wireless router. Several of us are tech minded people who need to be able to send and receive large amounts of data through our network and publish material on the internet.

Not only that, but I have (legally) downloaded films through places like iTunes and downloaded games and software in the same manner. I create digital content (web pages, animation, other content) and publish it on the internet. Not only that, but I send this content to friends and colleagues through web hosting sites like Netload. I download games and watch streaming Netflix through my Playstation 3.

I think it is absolutely beyond belief that Comcast can offer the speeds that they do, with the evolving demands of the internet and modern digital demands that people have, and think that 250gb is sufficient for even the moderately tech savvy user. This data cap is absolutely horrible and is an insult to my family and an abomination given how much money we have given to Comcast over the last several years for their service, amounting in the thousands of dollars. Not to mention that we signed up with the idea of getting an "always on", unlimited service.

Is Comcast okay with losing me and many others like me as customers, losing huge amounts of potential revenues for the cause of defending some arbitrary data caps that are horribly outdated for the demands of the 2011 internet user?

The argument that was given to me makes very little sense. On the one hand, it is said that a user going over that threshold hurts the internet experience for other users in your area, and on the other hand Comcast claims that the "average" user uses only 2-4gb per month. If that is the case, then multiple users who average at 250gb a month would slow down the internet far more than one individual who uses, say, 500gb in a month. If such a small number of users exceed the cap, then Comcast's network should easily be able to allow that without it affecting other users. If, on the other hand, many users are exceeding the cap, it means that the limit is far too small and Comcast should upgrade their infrastructure if they cannot keep up with user demands. Basically, Comcast should have no cap but strive to upgrade their network to allow users to have the freedom to use the internet how they see fit.

The arguments put forth simply don't make any sense. And the argument about the "average" user using only 2-4gb is flawed. Number one, you are scaring off anyone who might use more than the 250gb cap, and you are counting many people who pay for internet service and rarely use it. You are vastly underestimating the needs of the average family of regular internet users.

Think about this. The video I download from legal services is Bluray quality video with a high bitrate. This is 2011. This can be as much as 10gb PER HOUR. That means, if I only downloaded 1080p movies, I could only get about 25 hours of video in a month. Not a lot. That is maybe 12 movies. But of course that is not all that is used.

I might download a Playstation game over the Playstation Network. That might be 6-10gb. I sometimes upload original footage I create at tens of gigabytes, preserving the quality. Someone might download Apple Lossless albums through iTunes at multiple gigabytes for only a handful of albums. Then there are streaming Netflix movies, always at HD quality. There are services like OnLive, streaming gaming. There is online gaming of all sorts.

What you fail to understand is that nearly ALL media is delivered through the internet today, this is not about illegal downloads. Bluray is the standard quality for movies. HD video is tens of gigabytes. People are not downloading 128kb MP3s anymore, they are downloading lossless audio.

All of this doesn't event touch on creative people like myself who create original material and publish it on the internet, using tens of gigabyes per completed project. You are destroying my ability to use my own technology and express myself creatively.

250 IS NOT enough for people these days. Given my current level of usage (and the five people living in my house), I would need to cut back to ONE FIFTH of my current usage to come under that data cap. That is outrageous and it would ruin me. The most amazing thing is that you don't even offer a residential service without a data cap or a higher cap for tech savvy users.

Do you really think you can offer someone speeds of 105mb per second for $200 a month and expect them not to exceed 250gb downloaded a month? At that speed you could reach that limit in one day.

Data caps (especially ones this small) are an archaic byproduct of an older time where internet usage was far different. Terabyte hard drives are dirt cheap. My own personal computer has FIVE TERABYTES of space on a RAID array. There are four other computers in my house besides this own. And you expect me not to move more that 250gb of information a month? Are you kidding me?

If Comcast cannot offer me a plan with a larger cap (or no cap), even at higher cost, I will probably be forced to cancel my service. This means that Comcast will lose thousands of dollars from me over the next few years, and this disgruntled customer will spread the word about how I was threatened with being kicked off their service simply for lawfully using my technology in a manner necessary for me to express myself creatively and provide my family with opportunities for enriching online content delivery and education.

Is it really worth it to lose me as a customer forever because my family uses more than 250gb a month? Can you provide some kind of evidence that my online usage has negatively affected any other Comcast subscriber in my area? Because if it hasn't, this is an atrocious abuse of power by Comcast to control the internet usage of its customers.

The internet usage behavior of my family (including some absolutely vital functions) use about five times as much as the data cap allows. Kicking me off the network would destroy me.

Can someone comment? Would any Comcast representative be able to offer me a higher cap or no cap? I would even be willing to spend more for the privaledge. But my feelings are that if users such as myself are really affecting others in a significant way, that is Comcast's fault for not improving their network and evolving to meet the needs of internet users in 2011.

He literally does it to comcast customer service. I'm dying.

Edit: gently caress, I forgot the title.

Caros fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 18, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It just. Keeps. Going.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Caros posted:

Everytime I see this thread pop up I have a brief moment of hope that perhaps the prodigal son has returned. Such a pity. In his honor, I present you vintage Jrodefeld, circa 2011.

He literally does it to comcast customer service. I'm dying.

Edit: gently caress, I forgot the title.

In his defense, a 250GB cap is bullshit. I have a 350gb cap, and that's because I have a BFE lovely cable service (Antietam) as the local monopoly. There's a reason Comcast decided to just create a new name for itself, since a new brand would have zero goodwill, but also hopefully no negative association.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

rkajdi posted:

In his defense, a 250GB cap is bullshit. I have a 350gb cap, and that's because I have a BFE lovely cable service (Antietam) as the local monopoly. There's a reason Comcast decided to just create a new name for itself, since a new brand would have zero goodwill, but also hopefully no negative association.

He was lying about not pirating things, and in fact made his living by doing just that. :ssh:

Who What Now posted:

It just. Keeps. Going.

Jrod is fundamentally incapable of communicating in a clear and concise manner, possibly due to an early-life brain injury (other than being a libertarian, that is).

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He was lying about not pirating things, and in fact made his living by doing just that. :ssh:

Wait, what? So a libertarian who doesn't respect other people's property rights? Are we sure that he wasn't just a long form troll like TriangularTobelerone or that one guy who just used to post Fox News talking points? This has to be a joke.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

theshim posted:

Since things are very quiet in this thread, I vote that we break down his entire ocean of verbal effluvia and simultaneously debunk it while mocking everything about JRod, including his fruit-loving habits, while secretly wishing he was still posting here so that we could mock him to his face.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

rkajdi posted:

Wait, what? So a libertarian who doesn't respect other people's property rights? Are we sure that he wasn't just a long form troll like TriangularTobelerone or that one guy who just used to post Fox News talking points? This has to be a joke.

Technically it wasn't illegal because the movies weren't trademarked in America, they were pirated from Hong Kong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

rkajdi posted:

He had all sorts of unsurprisingly long winded and convoluted explanations as to why what he was doing didn't really violate anyone else's property rights, which ultimately boiled down to "it'd cost me more and/or be inconvenient to not pirate them."