Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lizard Combatant posted:

I had promised a friend the spare fourth astronaut from my Saturn V kit, which meant opening the last bag first.
So I've been building it backwards and it's great, would recommend. Each stage gets bigger, heavier and more complicated. I'm really appreciating the scale.
Echoing the sentiment that this has some of the most ingenious techniques and surprisingly little repetition.
Immensely satisfying build.

Apropos of nothing, that avatar is rad as hell and I have zero idea what it means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

rickiep00h posted:

Apropos of nothing, that avatar is rad as hell and I have zero idea what it means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMJCN_enTIg

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Amazing.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

rickiep00h posted:

Bird up.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 19, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh man that lighthouse set is adorable. I needed something colorful to build. Every time I get a little creator building it really makes me want to dive into modulars...Still don't want to go down that road though. wish I could just build them for people lol.

I'll make an exception for the fishing shack for sure.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I finished SV. Wow.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ooh, I like this. Lego posters from Bricks on the Dollar. The previous ones have all been various degrees of ropey, but this month's is a cracker.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

ShaneB posted:

I have a Saturn V waiting for me at work, so that's rad. What are some other uber-satisfying builds and potentially cool to have displayed out in an adult home?

-Modular buildings
-VW Van, Mini, Ferrari F40, Beetle, Caterham
-Sidney Opera House
-Orthanc
-Slave I
-Ghostbusters Firehouse

And poo poo I don't have:
-Tower Bridge, the Big Ben. I don't have these because I think they're slightly too boring to build, but they probably look awesome and even better together.
-If you are into ships you could also make a cool collection I think. I don't have any because so far I've been able to stop myself. I came very close to getting the Sea Cow and if I had gotten that it probably would've opened the gates to getting every large ship I could get my hands on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ShaneB posted:

I have a Saturn V waiting for me at work, so that's rad. What are some other uber-satisfying builds and potentially cool to have displayed out in an adult home?
:tipshat:

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
The Black Pearl, Queen Anne's Revenge and Sydney Opera House all get really positive comments, but they might be pretty hard to find these days.

Also the more recent Architecture sets are gorgeous.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ShaneB posted:

Upcoming fishing shack and ninjago dragon boat are the ones to look out for in the months ahead. If you've got after market money to burn for out of print sets (or don't mind buying knock offs) the list is enormous. What are your themes? Space (duh), train, historical, architecture, etc...?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lizard Combatant posted:

Upcoming fishing shack and ninjago dragon boat are the ones to look out for in the months ahead. If you've got after market money to burn for out of print sets (or don't mind buying knock offs) the list is enormous. What are your themes? Space (duh), train, historical, architecture, etc...?

I was actually considering the Chinese millennium falcon. What's weird is I don't even consider myself a star wars geek I just wanna build that thing.

I wish there were a few insane motorcycles ala the 911.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Supposedly there's going to be a new UCS Falcon later this year. It'll cost more than the Lepin though.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dogen posted:

Supposedly there's going to be a new UCS Falcon later this year. It'll cost more than the Lepin though.

What's the source on that? I'd wait if it's not gonna be impossible to find.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
AFAIK it's just a rumour, but there were similar rumours about the Snowspeeder redo and UCS Hoth before they were announced. It's convincing enough that I'm waiting.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I want a UCS Falcon embedded in a couch/gaming table. Have it sit underneath a glass-plate covered cutout in a stylized Mos Eisley landing pad illuminated by LEDs.

But :effort:

kertap
Mar 13, 2010

ivantod posted:

Oh, speaking of giant sets, is anybody getting the Minecraft Mountain Cave?

It's been available for VIPs for the last couple of days, so curious if anybody had ordered it yet.

It seems the numbered bags in this one go up to 24, but that's understandable as Minecraft sets typically contain mostly larger pieces compared to a "normal" set.

I'm thinking about it. I got an email from Lego saying it was only available for VIPs and it's only available until 30/6. Does that mean it won't be available after that or is this a VIP only time to get it.

My kid is huge into Minecraft and we got him some sets to play with during the week when he can't play the game itself. I've had a load of fun building them. Every thing could just be a big bland square but credit to the lego designers they come out being really textured and interesting. It's really cool to see how stuff like doors, fences, switches, item frames are built out of plain blocks. Oh and trees!

You do end up with an absolute poo poo ton of 2x2 thick square blocks but they're perfect for 4 year old hands to get used to sticking bricks together.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So I just got back from vacation and my Saturn V was at the office. The box got a little banged up in shipment. The packing was pretty minimal, just an outerbox with a small amount of padding. One of the reasons I ordered the one I did is because the box looked great in the eBay ad. I noticed the seller has listed at least one more using the same photo.

Am I within my rights to complain to the seller? Or is complaining about box condition absurd?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you intend to hang on to the box and sell it at MASSIVE PROFIT in 50 years, you might have a reason to be mad.

If you're going to toss the box in the garbage because boxes are stupid, then no.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there anywhere to get a reasonably priced sv or are they just gone until like mid July at the earliest

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there anywhere to get a reasonably priced sv or are they just gone until like mid July at the earliest

How reasonable?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Krazyface posted:

AFAIK it's just a rumour, but there were similar rumours about the Snowspeeder redo and UCS Hoth before they were announced. It's convincing enough that I'm waiting.

Yeah, it seems like it is coming from the more reliable rumor sources that have proven right in the past.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ShaneB posted:

Am I within my rights to complain to the seller?

You are within your rights to complain. You should have the option of returning it. You would likely have to pay return shipping, though.

E: if they do remake the Falcon, you can bet some people will be ordering tons of dishes on PAB.

E2: of course they will use stickers this time, further escalating the price of the original.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm glad they don't do stickers for the ideas sets because I refuse to do stickers. I always leave them off.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wish they would stop with the stickers entirely. I know it makes their costs go up a bit, but it can't be a huge amount. Just raise the price of the set by a dollar, big deal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

:goonsay:

I bet if you got a job with lego and sent your ideas about stickers to the CEO you could enact some real change in the company.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

:fap:

I wanted this set so bad as a child; I had all the rest of the Magnetron sets but that one. I walked past it so many times in Kmart but could never convince mom or any of my family to buy it for me. Last year I realized I could buy it because I'm an adult. Washing the smoke smell off the bricks and assembling it was one of the most satisfying Lego experiences I've had.

It's sitting above my desk as I type this.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

E: if they do remake the Falcon, you can bet some people will be ordering tons of dishes on PAB.

E2: of course they will use stickers this time, further escalating the price of the original.

Part of the rumor is that it will have both types of dishes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There was a pretty beefy m-tron display at brickworld which really brought out the spergs. Some people on reddit are Very Mad(tm) that authentic baseplates were not used and someone else was happy that classic space was finally getting some representation.

This made me, an old man, yell at a cloud.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dogen posted:

Part of the rumor is that it will have both types of dishes.

are people actually that weird about dish shapes

i'm not sure why i'm asking a question i already know the answer to

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ShaneB posted:

are people actually that weird about dish shapes

i'm not sure why i'm asking a question i already know the answer to

The Falcon from the original movies had a round dish, which was knocked off. The falcon in the new movie has a rectangular dish. So people would probably want to have the original dish shape.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

The Falcon from the original movies had a round dish, which was knocked off. The falcon in the new movie has a rectangular dish. So people would probably want to have the original dish shape.

I get this. I just think it's funny that it's a thing.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Captain Invictus posted:

I was at the local Lego store last weekend and they had a small pile behind the counter for people who asked.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I came to the US from the USSR as an almost-8-year-old in '89, so I have a particularly nostalgic place in my heart for those Magnetron / Blacktron and other scifi sets of the time which were overly reliant on the neon green transparent pieces, monster truck moon wheels, and oversized cockpit canopies. At the same time, I feel like those sets contributed to the problems LEGO created for itself, because those sets invariably had a lot of big parts and little in the way of anything interesting about the build. They were pieces stacked together, but without any particular cleverness or ingenuity. Granted, when I briefly got back into LEGO in the late 2000s (with the Creator Fast Flyers and Stegosaurus sets), and then again a few years ago when my son got old enough to enjoy them, I was blown away by the creative touches and the thought that went into some of the design elements - such as the retractable wings on the Fast Flyer - so it's not impossible that my earlier memories are tainted by my later experiences.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Man, the roof pieces of the Old Fishing Store take me back to making Black Falcon's Fortress as a young lad....

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Oh yeah, meant to post earlier: those two agonizing weeks of walking by the sealed Saturn V box in my bedroom were totally worth it. Cracked it open and got started with my boy (5.5) on it on Father's Day this weekend. Finished the first stage before we had to tend to other commitments. Echoing what others have said: it is an amazingly satisfying build. At the same time, I could see how the repetition of building everything four times could get to some. Luckily, that feature makes the set particularly well suited to a collaborative build, as we can either split up the multiples between ourselves, or else one of us will stay on a step that requires four identical components while the other will move on to the next set of steps. Works out really well when you have a five year old who breezes through even the Expert Creator sets.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That dish fetches ridiculous prices. I'll be interested to see what changes if it is included or not.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
close to retail price reasonable. I'll probably wind up waiting for it to be restocked if it's like 150+ or more, it's for a birthday present for my dad but he's cool with waiting for restocking.

NeuralSpark posted:

:fap:

I wanted this set so bad as a child; I had all the rest of the Magnetron sets but that one. I walked past it so many times in Kmart but could never convince mom or any of my family to buy it for me. Last year I realized I could buy it because I'm an adult. Washing the smoke smell off the bricks and assembling it was one of the most satisfying Lego experiences I've had.

It's sitting above my desk as I type this.
I have three of them.

Do I need three of them? Not really. Does it matter if I do or not? Not at all. :smaug:

Habibi posted:

I came to the US from the USSR as an almost-8-year-old in '89, so I have a particularly nostalgic place in my heart for those Magnetron / Blacktron and other scifi sets of the time which were overly reliant on the neon green transparent pieces, monster truck moon wheels, and oversized cockpit canopies. At the same time, I feel like those sets contributed to the problems LEGO created for itself, because those sets invariably had a lot of big parts and little in the way of anything interesting about the build. They were pieces stacked together, but without any particular cleverness or ingenuity. Granted, when I briefly got back into LEGO in the late 2000s (with the Creator Fast Flyers and Stegosaurus sets), and then again a few years ago when my son got old enough to enjoy them, I was blown away by the creative touches and the thought that went into some of the design elements - such as the retractable wings on the Fast Flyer - so it's not impossible that my earlier memories are tainted by my later experiences.
I disagree, I built some crazy poo poo with those sets. Yeah they had huge fuckoff pieces, but outside of the windshields or the giant wheels(which, to this day, only three sets have ever had the MCM wheels still) they were still almost all normal parts. The real problem was poo poo like the Insectoids line. Seriously, compare that with this:

look at that loving thing

it's got FOUR HUNDRED AND NINETEEN PIECES. The MCM has 70 more than it, and is roughly the same size(not counting the extra width the giant bug legs give the arachnid base).

compare the piece lists:
https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=6977-1
https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=6989-1

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Well, I have an extra one. Are you still in New Hampshire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I disagree, I built some crazy poo poo with those sets. Yeah they had huge fuckoff pieces, but outside of the windshields or the giant wheels(which, to this day, only three sets have ever had the MCM wheels still) they were still almost all normal parts. The real problem was poo poo like the Insectoids line. Seriously, compare that with this:

Oh sure, they had plenty of normal pieces, and I'm not going to argue that the Insectoids line and others weren't worse offenders in the "why the gently caress is this thing all one piece" category. But I'm sticking by the assertion that those Magnetron, et al. sets were simply not particularly interesting builds in and of themselves. They were...just very straight forward, in the sense that you could look at a picture of the finished product and pretty easily guess how everything was achieved. The strides LEGO made in that aspect in the 2000s were incredible.