Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Unironically hope Mirio dies to totally own Nighteye Tbh

I'm really interested to seeing how that whole thing turns out. I can't imagine Deku leaving any doubt that he is unassailably the greatest successor to One For All but I don't see Mirio coming up short in anything. I want to see Sir's expectations get dunked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Deku will beat a villain no one else can.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am enjoying the Eight Expendables so far. Hopefully the next set of them can do interesting things.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I can't wait for Tomura to get All For One at some point because his own Quirk is pretty useless now that we have "Tomura but I can restore things too". Also I assume we're all aboard the Dabi is a failed Todoroki train.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

dazoner posted:

Deku will beat a villain no one else can.

I hope this isn't the case, or at least only part it. What sets Deku apart isn't strength it's that he has heroic qualities others do not. For example, saving Ochaco at the entrance exam even though he was terrified at first. As soon as someone needed help Deku charged in not even thinking about if One For All would work or not. Mirio is being portrayed as the exact kind of person who would do that too which currently sets them above others so far in terms of heroism. Just beating a strong enemy others couldn't doesn't make Deku a more worthy successor than Mirio because One For All is such an overwhelmingly strong quirk. He needs to fight on in a situation where Mirio has given up or something to that effect. The other option would be to become a hero greater than All Might (which he will anyway) but that's a long way away and I don't see winning Sir over taking until then. I imagine Deku earning Sir's respect will be part of the climax to the Overhaul arc.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Alternatively, Mirio will die and Deku will have an unreachable goal that he'll never be able to stop comparing himself to.

Edit Scared myself. Thought this was the anime thread for a second.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Alternatively, Mirio will die and Deku will have an unreachable goal that he'll never be able to stop comparing himself to.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

EmmyOk posted:

I can't wait for Tomura to get All For One at some point because his own Quirk is pretty useless now that we have "Tomura but I can restore things too". Also I assume we're all aboard the Dabi is a failed Todoroki train.
I wonder if Dabi is the bastard child of Endeavor or something.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Mirio has been shown to be less worthy of OfA through context clues of the fact that while he has trained his rear end off he'll still compromise in the face of adversity. It's subtly shown in his hero name, and explicitly in the encounter with Eri. Deku wants to save everyone and doesn't hesitate to protect her even though he absolutely knows it'll get him in deep poo poo. Mirio has a finite number of people he wants to save and takes the "don't make a scene" route.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mirio was being cautious I don't think he only wants to save a "finite amount of people".

E:Like, you can say The Symbol of Peace would have forgone caution in that situation but it's not like Mirio went "well this is an acceptable loss I guess"

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
This came up as early as chapter 001. When Bakuou is getting sludged, all the pro heroes are standing around saying "Ahh yeah my Quirk doesn't work against this guy, lets just wait until someone else shows up".

It's not cowardly or callous, just rational thinking. But it doesn't meet the series' definition of "heroism".

"A pro hero always puts their life on the line!"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'll have to re-read the chapter I the morning but did Mirio even know Eri was scared? I thought only Deku did because she was holding him so tight and Mirio had his back when he said it. Deku also arguably failed there by not pursuing if he knew Eri was that scared.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

I'll have to re-read the chapter I the morning but did Mirio even know Eri was scared? I thought only Deku did because she was holding him so tight and Mirio had his back when he said it. Deku also arguably failed there by not pursuing if he knew Eri was that scared.

He hates himself for letting that happen, but the only reason why he let go was the he was unsure and Mirio talked him out of it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ryaomon posted:

Mirio has been shown to be less worthy of OfA through context clues of the fact that while he has trained his rear end off he'll still compromise in the face of adversity. It's subtly shown in his hero name, and explicitly in the encounter with Eri. Deku wants to save everyone and doesn't hesitate to protect her even though he absolutely knows it'll get him in deep poo poo. Mirio has a finite number of people he wants to save and takes the "don't make a scene" route.

While reckless and utterly selfless heroism is the hallmark that sets Deku apart from almost everyone else, the series has been fairly heavy handed that Deku needs to learn to temper that selflessness with some perspective because recklessness can endanger more people than it saves. In that context, Deku listening to Mirio and backing off isn't really an indicator of Mirio being less worthy. Both of them had no concrete idea of the situation on the ground at the time and only with hindsight were they aware of the horrible things happening to the girl, and Deku trying to basically kidnap someone's child because she looks scared and has some bandages on would absolutely be a poo poo thing to do that would do nothing but get him bounced out of his internship and out of UA even if it didn't immediately result in Overhaul turning him into chunky salsa on the spot.

Even All Might worked within the system. Hell, All Might is currently a teacher at the school that represents the pinnacle of the system.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I think the point between Mirio and Deku is that both are worthy successors. We've been shown that Deku's recklessness and All Might's example for him to follow has been his downfall so far. If Deku was at 100% One for All I think they rescue Eri when she runs into him.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Kanos posted:

While reckless and utterly selfless heroism is the hallmark that sets Deku apart from almost everyone else, the series has been fairly heavy handed that Deku needs to learn to temper that selflessness with some perspective because recklessness can endanger more people than it saves. In that context, Deku listening to Mirio and backing off isn't really an indicator of Mirio being less worthy. Both of them had no concrete idea of the situation on the ground at the time and only with hindsight were they aware of the horrible things happening to the girl, and Deku trying to basically kidnap someone's child because she looks scared and has some bandages on would absolutely be a poo poo thing to do that would do nothing but get him bounced out of his internship and out of UA even if it didn't immediately result in Overhaul turning him into chunky salsa on the spot.

Even All Might worked within the system. Hell, All Might is currently a teacher at the school that represents the pinnacle of the system.

All-Might and Nighteye/Mirio seem to represent opposite approaches to heroing that Deku is meant to balance. The former instinctually charging in and being self-sacrificing (which Deku took a bit too much to heart), the latter being more cautious (and in the case of Nighteye being cautious in the extreme).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Aurora posted:

I think the point between Mirio and Deku is that both are worthy successors. We've been shown that Deku's recklessness and All Might's example for him to follow has been his downfall so far. If Deku was at 100% One for All I think they rescue Eri when she runs into him.

Thinking about it, I think the overarching point is that having a single successor to the position of Symbol of Peace is a terrible idea to begin with. There can be a successor to One For All and that successor needs to be of unimpeachable character, but the weakness of All Might's approach to being THE hero became apparent the moment everything collapsed into panic the moment he couldn't do it anymore. Having multiple heroes who aspire to that standard, such as Mirio, Deku, and the rest of Class A, is far better for the health of Hero Society(and is ironically very similar to what Stain was talking about, albeit with less murder).

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

If this manga doesnt end with deku becoming the leader of a team of heroes made up of all his class a and b classmates, whom with he shares the one for all power then consider me mineta

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

If this manga doesnt end with deku becoming the leader of a team of heroes made up of all his class a and b classmates, whom with he shares the one for all power then consider me mineta

Why would he share one for all?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

can he share one for all? all might could only pass it on to someone else and his powers faded away over a period of time after he did so

hell the name kinda implies it's just one person at a time

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Some of it is left behind or lingers so they could just pass it again between united states of smashes.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Can you xfer the power back though?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The way I always thought One For All worked is that it's a huge mass of power (think Ki from DBZ or the Breaker or Veritas or whatever) that grows entirely on its own little by little every second just by existing.

You're a vessel, One for All is a well you dip into to fill the vessel. Too much and it breaks. And as you use it with the quirk in your possession the well constantly refills you- the vessel.

All Might was filled with power from One For All, he passed it on to Midoriya, and he didn't have that well to fill back up from anymore. So as he did stuff, he slowly ran out of gas until he hit E fighting All For One.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fabricated posted:

The way I always thought One For All worked is that it's a huge mass of power (think Ki from DBZ or the Breaker or Veritas or whatever) that grows entirely on its own little by little every second just by existing.

You're a vessel, One for All is a well you dip into to fill the vessel. Too much and it breaks. And as you use it with the quirk in your possession the well constantly refills you- the vessel.

All Might was filled with power from One For All, he passed it on to Midoriya, and he didn't have that well to fill back up from anymore. So as he did stuff, he slowly ran out of gas until he hit E fighting All For One.
That makes as much sense as any other interpretation. Full Cowl is Deku learning to dip slowly, all at once, rather than what he was doing before, which is... I guess shoving the container down into the water to scoop up as much as possible?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

before he was jumping in head first

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Kild posted:

Can you xfer the power back though?

I don't think we've seen anything that explicitly forbids it but it would make sense.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't mean that Deku can't "discover" a way to split it up or bestow a portion of his power. Not that I think it would be a satisfying end--I feel like it potentially undermines the whole thing about All-Might's idea of a singular symbol of hope being misguided if All-Might has just been replaced with a set of demigods blessed with a portion of One For All.

Deku should become a great hero, yes--but the rest of his classmates need to be able to stand on their own feet. The interplay of teamwork and independence (or competition) has always been important in this manga. The recent season of the anime has reminded me of when Uraraka refused Deku's help in strategizing for the fight with Bakugo. Just breaking up One For All and handing out pieces of it to his friends would undermine this theme, I think.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Handing out One For All, even if it were possible(and I'm pretty sure one of the 7 previous users would probably have tried it if it were), would completely undermine the idea that every prospective hero has to learn to stand on their own two feet to be a real hero. It would also simultaneously let the secret of One For All out into the wild in a big way when suddenly a whole bunch of people start pulling All Might's powers out of their butts, which would put all of their loved ones and families in serious danger on a pretty permanent basis because every lovely villain org would obviously want to try to get a piece of that.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Man I wish the Breaker were an anime...

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Grouchio posted:

Man I wish the Breaker were an anime...
Shioon is really a lot like Midoriya. Empathetic, started out worthless/weak, kind-hearted to a fault, self-sacrificing and determined to the point of appearing insane, crazy pain tolerance, etc.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fabricated posted:

Shioon is really a lot like Midoriya. Empathetic, started out worthless/weak, kind-hearted to a fault, self-sacrificing and determined to the point of appearing insane, crazy pain tolerance, etc.
Too bad the writers decided to flip off everyone and discontinue work after part 2 ended. :suicide:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Here I thought it was a reference to the three musketeers.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I believe in Breaker Part 3.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Christ, that's one of those series that I had forgotten I was even waiting for.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Mr. Fowl posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't mean that Deku can't "discover" a way to split it up or bestow a portion of his power. Not that I think it would be a satisfying end--I feel like it potentially undermines the whole thing about All-Might's idea of a singular symbol of hope being misguided if All-Might has just been replaced with a set of demigods blessed with a portion of One For All.
Well now I want Deku to find a way to temporarily bestow the power to everyone nearby that he chooses, and form the hero team The Wonderful 101 For All.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Fabricated posted:

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

One For All works the same way.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It would be very strange if Deku started sharing One For All with people both narratively and thematically. I really like the point someone made about there only being one symbol of justice actually being a huge mistake though. Even if you have one Number 1 hero the second ranked hero shouldn't be light years behind or you're screwed when the top hero leaves.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Deku's going to lose OFA somehow, but he's spent his whole life studying quirks and devising tactics that he'll become the founder and Batman figure of the MHA universe's version of the Justice League.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Reinanigans posted:

Deku's going to lose OFA somehow, but he's spent his whole life studying quirks and devising tactics that he'll become the founder and Batman figure of the MHA universe's version of the Justice League.

He's not going to lose it permanently but I have an idea about how this "who is more worthy" thing may be solved! Deku and Mirio will both get hit with one of the darts and temporarily lose their abilities. Deku will fight on and Mirio will panic or not know what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Miirio is going to be shown as an equally heroic and determined person as Deku with maybe the only difference being that Mirio believes a Nighteye prediction or something due to his respect for the Hero while Deku decides to ignore it like All Might did. Though I think it's just as likely that nothing is said about Deku being a better symbol of peace than Mirio, he just does something heroic enough to earn Nighteye's respect and cause him to consider him a worthwhile successor.

E: Like, I don't think the conflict the story has been setting up with this arc is that Deku needs to show himself to be better than Mirio, it's that he needs to prove himself to Nighteye.