Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

My Lovely Horse posted:

Pretty sure by now Death has just given up on him.

He's going to end up like Steve Irwin, and die of something relatively harmless out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Drape Culture posted:

A coworker just had a kid and renovated the nursery with dark blue "shiplap". In a 1970s ranch. Anyway, he didn't have the tools to make shiplap himself, so he ripped had The big box store rip a sheet or two of plywood into 6 inch strips and just nailed that to the wall, spaced slightly apart. I'm 95% sure that entire house is a Pinterest post.

I can't wait until the day we can colateralize a loan with a pinterest post and then take hundreds of those loans and turn them into a CDO.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Don't worry, imperial units are legally derived from the metric system anyway

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

peanut posted:

hehehe land of the free!

At first I thought this might be in a flood plain but that looks like a CA plate so it's probably just somewhere in the central valley (so not exactly wrong).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Open shelving in kitchens seems like a bad idea. Like your dishes dusty?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Bonster posted:

How about some horrible furniture made out of the worst material?

Cleanliness is a virtue - and utterly impossible.

Does this remind anyone else of that nightclub fire that killed a bunch of people? Wasn't the only set of stairs there made of pallets?

Hope you like splinters!

Hope you hate your ankles!

For when you want to demonstrate to your children how you don't like them - make their bed out of trash.

I don't know why you guys are complaining about this. It's the best scenario for a lazy programmer, when you want to renovate you just do a pallet swap.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Drape Culture posted:

A coworker just had a kid and renovated the nursery with dark blue "shiplap". In a 1970s ranch.

Wait a minute - the shiplap is on the inside of the house?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Clarence posted:

That's the thing now. Don't tell me you've never watched HGTV.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

GreenNight posted:

Open shelving is an awful idea. I don't want to put everything on display, and then cooking grease and dust and everything gets all over your dishes... I don't understand why you wouldn't just use cabinets with glass doors if you wanted to lighten the space up.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Clarence posted:

Yeah, I can't really see the draw either. It just screams "THIS USED TO BE AN OUTSIDE WALL BUT THEN WE PUT THIS ROOM HERE AND WERE TOO LAZY TO REFINISH THE WALL APPROPRIATELY" even if that's not at all the case.

That is to say, it gives me the impression of a half-assed addition.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I think the idea is that in that particular part of Texas it was a cheap and available material and was used for interior walls rather than lath and plaster or whatever else you would have used. Now because of that show, people are putting it in homes where you never would have seen it.

The sheathing of most of my house is ship lap, but there is a layer of underlayment and then cedar shingles on top of that. Personally I don't think ship lap looks very nice, even when painted.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's considered rustic charm. Which is not my style, but it is for a lot of people.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it can add some nice subtle texture. I really like the look of it here:

Then there's some truly stupid applications...

Clarence
May 3, 2012

GreenNight posted:

That's the thing now. Don't tell me you've never watched HGTV.

Not sure they have it in the UK, but there is bound to be something similar buried in the big pile o' crap channels.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I don't know why you guys are complaining about this. It's the best scenario for a lazy programmer, when you want to renovate you just do a pallet swap.

I want you to know this didn't go unnoticed.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
The local Cracker Barrel has t11 siding instead of drywall inside. You guys think you're too fancy for Cracker Barrel?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Why don't they just use barrels? Or crackers

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

cakesmith handyman posted:

I want you to know this didn't go unnoticed.

Don't encourage him

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Clarence posted:

Not sure they have it in the UK, but there is bound to be something similar buried in the big pile o' crap channels.
Fixer Upper is shown on ITVBe in the UK.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GreenNight posted:

What's the point of even having quirky ceramics if no one can see them though.

Words go on everything. Everything.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

PURE LARD

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This but in chinese tattooed on my wrist

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

2X PURE BUTTER

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Facebook Aunt posted:

Marie Kondo would be so pissed.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Ah yes, the pleasing aesthetic of clutter.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you love crappy construction you'll probably like the Interior Design thread too. There are some things there worth cross posting. Like this house:

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Here's a house for sale that's pretty special. like someone saw a year's worth of Country Living and said "yes, I want that!"

Exposed brick, shiplap and drywall in the living room.

Let's put postcards in 18x18 frames with giant mattes around them and block half with the tv.

Let's use whole peanuts in a wooden bowl as a centerpiece.

Rolling doors that don't open all the way that you have to move to get to the light switch.

Let's decorate with San Pellegrino.

Horse statue in front of cabinet on top of fridge

Let's put The Help quotes on our pillows.

Black wallplates with white switches.

Grow old along with me the best is yet to come.

Louis Vuitton night stands?

Welcome guests towels in the bottom drawer

It used to be a perfectly conventional, functional suburban house. Then they turned it into a Country Living nightmare.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Thought I was in the political cartoon thread for a minute.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Ashcans posted:

Thought I was in the political cartoon thread for a minute.

But nothing has the word DEBT written on it

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Fire is the great redeemer.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you love crappy construction you'll probably like the Interior Design thread too. There are some things there worth cross posting. Like this house:

It used to be a perfectly conventional, functional suburban house. Then they turned it into a Country Living nightmare.

Huge clock? check
Subway tiles? check
Open shelving? check

Someone watches chip and jo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

As the husband of a ceramic artist with a significant collection of crockery, I want to inform the world that it's OK to put glass doors on your cabinets, people can still see your bowls.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Personally I like the look of open cabinets, but it's mostly just a reason to force my wife to donate/throw away stuff we don't use. For instance, we don't need 30 mugs yet because they're hidden behind a wooden door she thinks it's perfectly reasonable to just keep filling it up.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

As the husband of a ceramic artist with a significant collection of crockery, I want to inform the world that it's OK to put glass doors on your cabinets, people can still see your bowls.

Except in this case, where the plates and bowls are all too large for the cabinet.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wanna see the occasion that requires you to not only have a big bowl of PECORINO but also to identify it so unmistakably.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Except in this case, where the plates and bowls are all too large for the cabinet.

Yeah some idiot decided to have a desk in the kitchen, and then that limited the depth of the overhanging cabinets, and there we are, a chain of bad decisions results in PURE LARD

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm sitting in the kitchen, facing my dish cabinet, with my granite desk, reading this hefty LOUIS VUITTON book and admiring the plastic ivy border around my lamp mirror.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's a good thing I have a spare PURE BUTTER by my feet, because the PURE BUTTER on the top shelf with all the plates stacked on it is too hard to take out past my wooden water buffalo head decoration.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

I'm convinced that house is some kind of showroom for fell-off-the-truck Restoration Hardware goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

whalesteak posted:

I'm convinced that house is some kind of showroom for fell-off-the-truck Restoration Hardware goods.

I feel that doesn't convey the amount of dedication to the cause.

They jacked that truck, then used it as cover to rob the rest of the warehouse.