Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Interestingly my 100+ year old house had a master bedroom closet, the first and only one I've seen outside of the US in my entire life. I ripped that poo poo out sharpish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The only requirement I remember reading about for bedrooms here is that they have to have at least two exits to the outdoors, in case of fire. One can be via an approriately-sized and -placed window, but a basement transom window won't cut it.

I haven't heard of closets being a requirement and I don't really get why they would be. :shrug:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ask me about having to replace all my upstairs bedroom windows because I removed the door between the kitchen and downstairs hallway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arachnamus posted:

Ask me about having to replace all my upstairs bedroom windows because I removed the door between the kitchen and downstairs hallway.

I assume it's because you had to do permitted work and that meant you had to bring your bedrooms up to fire code?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

I assume it's because you had to do permitted work and that meant you had to bring your bedrooms up to fire code?

It's probably more about minimum number of firebreaks (i.e. doors) between a common source of fires (the kitchen) and places where people sleep.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I replaced all the windows in a previous house and for fire safety I legally had to install an opening window large enough to climb out of in a second floor child's bedroom. I wasn't happy about the fall safety aspects of that bit of thinking...

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The requirement for closets in bedrooms is a realtor thing, not a legal thing.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The only requirement I remember reading about for bedrooms here is that they have to have at least two exits to the outdoors, in case of fire. One can be via an approriately-sized and -placed window, but a basement transom window won't cut it.

I haven't heard of closets being a requirement and I don't really get why they would be. :shrug:
It varies by jurisdiction, here's a summary from Realtor.com:

quote:

Minimum square footage: This is the top issue, says Shaun Anders of Douglas Elliman. Although this can vary from state to state, 70 to 80 square feet is generally the acceptable minimum. “Sellers in urban markets such as New York City and Chicago would love 5-by-7[-foot] rooms to qualify as a bedroom, but no go,” says Anders.

Minimum horizontal footage: The minimum square footage doesn’t tell the whole tale. A bedroom must also measure at least 7 feet in any horizontal direction. That is why you can’t call a hallway a bedroom!

Two means of egress: There have to be two ways out of a bedroom. Traditionally, these would be a door and a window. Ekroth adds that in most markets, a skylight would also qualify as that means of egress.

Minimum ceiling height: At least half of the bedroom ceiling has to be at least 7 feet tall.

Minimum window size: The window opening must be a minimum size, usually 5.7 square feet.

A heating and cooling element: We're talking a heater (a space heater won't qualify) as well as a way to cool it down, whether that's by opening a window or good old AC.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Platystemon posted:

I’m not impressed unless they have enough rusting iron to denude the room of oxygen and kill visitors.

That is an interesting read with what is surely a good thread title candidate:

quote:

How do you avoid being a victim of the Rusty Assassin?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Here a bedroom has to be at least 70sqft and have electrical service and a window; closets don't actually matter, although if people are renovating they often put them in anyway because people like having them (it's nice not to have to move wardrobes).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the closets thing was a bit misleading, it's about what the realtors will let you list a house as (they're a cartel who controls MLS and therefore everything to do with selling houses), it's not like the house cops will come and prevent you from living in a bedroom with no closet in it.

But what it means effectively is that if you want to list a house as a 3br house, you need three rooms with closets; and if you have to list it as 2br with a "bonus room" you are instantly excluding a huge number of house hunters from ever even seeing your listing.

By the same token, if you're shopping for a 3br house, you should include 2br in your search and look for 2br houses with a bonus room, because you will probably get that house with identical square footage for substantially less money, and the savings will more than pay for a dang wardrobe.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's probably more about minimum number of firebreaks (i.e. doors) between a common source of fires (the kitchen) and places where people sleep.

Yah this. You need minimum 30 minutes fire protection between the kitchen and the escape route out of the house from the bedrooms which went away when the door (and wall) came out. Any fire back there could spread to the main hall and cut off the stairs / front door.

To be precise I only had to replace the ones at the back to provide an alternate exit but I'm doing them all anyway 'cause they're lovely. For bonus points the new egress drops you straight onto two giant skylights which is going to be scary as poo poo if it ever happens.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 23, 2017

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Found on the internet, not seen myself.

Ignoranus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 24, 2017

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Ignoranus posted:

A testament to the insulating capabilities of our hand tools, I guess?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Ignoranus posted:

My uncle sold his house a year or two ago. He bought it brand new in a new subdivision, but it was the "second" house on that lot. The first one burned while under construction for exactly what is pictured here.

Well, I think it was actually a nail but whatever.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

wesleywillis posted:

My uncle sold his house a year or two ago. He bought it brand new in a new subdivision, but it was the "second" house on that lot. The first one burned while under construction for exactly what is pictured here.

Well, I think it was actually a nail but whatever.

I'm just confused about how the picture ended up being taken. Woudl that screw have been through some thin paneling-like material that got torn up around it, revealing the trouble behind? I can't imagine someone just plunked the screw right on the cable and went to town.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Bedroom chat.

A friend used to live in a 1 bedroom apartment. But the bedroom didn't actually have any windows. The bathroom was branched off of the bedroom, and there was a closet. But no windows anywhere in the apartment except for 2 next to the front door.

always wondered how that was legal, but every apartment in that floorplan had the same issue. It was a 60s apartment, but renovated around 2010.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

YamiNoSenshi posted:

I'm in the beginning phases of doing a kitchen remodel and even the designers say the big stockpot typically is stored outside the kitchen.

Sure, if you never use the kitchen. Wire shelving in a pantry closet for lyfe.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I hate wire shelving with a passion and I will irl fight anyone who thinks it's ever a good idea, come at me

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Bedroom chat.

A friend used to live in a 1 bedroom apartment. But the bedroom didn't actually have any windows. The bathroom was branched off of the bedroom, and there was a closet. But no windows anywhere in the apartment except for 2 next to the front door.

always wondered how that was legal, but every apartment in that floorplan had the same issue. It was a 60s apartment, but renovated around 2010.

Is the building on a historic register? That could definitely account for it, no matter the time it was renovated. My local code says:

quote:

The provisions of this code relating to the construction, alteration, repair, enlargement, restoration, relocation or moving of buildings or structures shall not be mandatory for existing buildings or structures identified and classified by the state or local jurisdiction as historic buildings when such buildings or structures do not constitute a distinct hazard to life or property shall be in accordance with the provisions of the International Building Code. Fire protection in designated historic buildings and structures shall be provided in accordance with an approved fire protection plan.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Alereon posted:

Ekroth adds that in most markets, a skylight would also qualify as that means of egress
Surely only in markets where people traditionally sleep on trampolines, no??

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Bird in a Blender posted:

I am looking into my future, I know it. My fiancee loves white everything. Bought our house a little over a year ago, and the old owners had lots of stained wood. The base, and trim is stained, kitchen cabinets are stained, doors, etc. It's mostly an orange/brown kind of color. I'm generally ok with it, but she's already mentioned how she wishes the trim was white, and talked about painting over our cabinets in white. I don't mind white, but I'm worried that slowly like 90% of our house is going to be white.

Painting perfectly good stained trim white? You know what you must do. No jury in the world would convict you.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Liquid Communism posted:

Painting perfectly good stained trim white? You know what you must do. No jury in the world would convict you.

There's nothing perfectly good about orange stained trim. And refinishing it is a nightmare.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Bad Munki posted:

I hate wire shelving with a passion and I will irl fight anyone who thinks it's ever a good idea, come at me
It's a good idea if you're a college student who will use it for 4 years before tossing it. :v:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bad Munki posted:

i don't think it's a good idea (exception: like industrial style wire shelving in a shop) but i'm also not gonna rip out the stuff in my EXPANSIVE MASTER BEDROOM WALK IN CLOSET

oh god i wish it didn't exist i'd take the extra bedroom space

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

th vwls hv scpd posted:

I don't know that I've ever seen a house that small with 4br in Louisiana. That seems extremely cramped.

This is a typical 1950s 4br suburban ranch floorplan

1288 sf. And yes, up unti the 60s most people lived with one bathroom in their house.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Youth Decay posted:

1288 sf. And yes, up unti the 60s most people lived with one bathroom in their house.

Thats because up until then only one member of the household had to shower, poo poo, shave, and leave the house early enough to make the office by 9:00.

Edit: we only have one bath and it really sucks.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

God I thought this was from that 'scary stories to tell in the dark' book, and that thing in the window was a terrifying face.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have one bath and we all use it at different times :shrug: A bathroom sink/vanity is where the real traffic jams happen (so I put another upstairs just for the kids.)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

sharing from the lego thread

The_Doctor posted:

Tell me about it, my bf and I are moving to Berlin soon and we're looking at apartments. One of my holdouts is separate kitchen/living room. :colbert:

Side note: one of the most bizarre flats I've seen in my search was a new build that had this big pod in the bedroom that had the bathroom inside it, and the kitchen on the outer wall. Again, in the bedroom.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I grew up in a home with six people and one full bath, you can make it work.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
More Grenfell Tower analysis.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/world/europe/grenfell-tower-london-fire.html

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
The obsession with bathrooms is crazy to me. Every place I have lived (barring my parents current home where I lived for a while) has been one bath. Why it is such an impossible task to share a bathroom is beyond me. There are one off cases of the bathroom being used when someone else experiences an emergency, but I think I've encountered that 3 times in over 40 years. And as for issues of the whole family needing to shower or do their hair and make-up at the same time? Plan better. If you know you have one shower, try to get in before it's 15 minutes before departure.

The extra bathroom and powder room my parents have now are no huge benefit. They are a convenience, but not essential. I remember a time in the early 2000s where 5 bedroom homes would have 5,5.5, or 6 bathrooms listed! Madness.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

We currently have four people and one full bathroom, and it's mostly ok. The problem is never with bathing/showering, etc, it's just when someone needs to use the toilet at the same time as someone else. That happens with smaller kids, because their window between 'realizing they need to go' and 'having an accident' can be pretty small. I think that my ideal home with be a 1.5, so that there is always a spare place to poop if needed (also useful for when you might have a bunch of people over). I don't really think that we need two full bathrooms, as you can make one work with scheduling. The kind of thing people use a sink/vanity for can often be done elsewhere, anyway. :shrug:

God, this is so terrible. :( It's horrendous that so many people basically knew this was a trap waiting to happen but nothing was done the whole time. I don't understand how the lovely people on the manufacturing/installation side of this can possibly live with themselves. How terrible do you have to be to continue to produce a cladding you know is a fire trap, and deliberately obfuscate it in marketing?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Indolent Bastard posted:

The obsession with bathrooms is crazy to me. Every place I have lived (barring my parents current home where I lived for a while) has been one bath. Why it is such an impossible task to share a bathroom is beyond me. There are one off cases of the bathroom being used when someone else experiences an emergency, but I think I've encountered that 3 times in over 40 years. And as for issues of the whole family needing to shower or do their hair and make-up at the same time? Plan better. If you know you have one shower, try to get in before it's 15 minutes before departure.
I used to live in an apartment with a single bathroom, sharing it with a friend who worked at the same place as I did, so we had the same basic daily schedule.

When you wake up to simultaneously hearing the shower kick on and feeling last night's burrito getting ready to make a move you begin to hate not spending the extra fifty bucks a month for the floorplan with two baths.

I will never choose to live in a place with less than 1.5 baths again.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I grew up in a house with 1 bathroom and I will never be denied a poop in the house I live in again.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

The extra bathroom and powder room my parents have now are no huge benefit. They are a convenience, but not essential. I remember a time in the early 2000s where 5 bedroom homes would have 5,5.5, or 6 bathrooms listed! Madness.

Growing up with one bathroom was great motivation to move out as soon as was possible.

I have 3 FULL baths now. I don't know what the use of the third shower is, I could use that space. It's actually being used as a closet right now.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

wolrah posted:

I used to live in an apartment with a single bathroom, sharing it with a friend who worked at the same place as I did, so we had the same basic daily schedule.

When you wake up to simultaneously hearing the shower kick on and feeling last night's burrito getting ready to make a move you begin to hate not spending the extra fifty bucks a month for the floorplan with two baths.

I will never choose to live in a place with less than 1.5 baths again.

Yeah, getting shitblocked is a terrible thing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If you don't know someone well enough to poop while they are in the shower, do you really know them well enough to live with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Bedroom chat.

My parents own a 2br/2b 1000sq/ft 50's South Florida condo that has a very similar layout, just mirror your buddies' layout and line 'em up with a 5ft deep lanai at the end. The 'bathroom through the bedroom' thing is a lot more common down there. The layout you posted is also extremely like the 1br variants within the condo building, with only windows in the kitchen, but because the 1br's are located in the middle of the condo building, against the elevator shaft. It's legal, and not a bad layout really. Just gotta maximize that natural light with mirrors and light colored walls. One I saw had made a 'window' in the wall of the bedroom through to the kitchen and installed louvers, just to let a bit more light in. Looked nice in a white beadboard and seafoam teal beachy theme.

Having 1 bathroom per bedroom was considered hella swank in the 50's.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 24, 2017