Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Interest check. I might rid of most of my CMF, I think have about 70 of them but I'll have to check later and can post a pic if anyone is interested. I'll be looking for interesting original trilogy Star wars sets. I'm also looking for creator sets like colorful buildings or the big cars (beetle/VW bus etc.) Sets I'm specifically looking for are Jabbas sail Barge, and the millenium falcon, but any OT star Wars stuff I don't have already would probably interest me to some degree. You can see what SW sets I already have as I posted a pic recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

There's a couple old CMF I'd love to get my hands on. I'll shoot you a PM.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nth Doctor posted:

I finished the Saturn V last night. The build took evenings most of the week and I got chills as I watched it get taller and taller.
I sat there staring at it for a few minutes just in awe of this cool set.

Lucky me, I get to do it again.

Please tag things as :nms: next time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My rocket got tipped over too, by a cat. Now it's on a shelf that no kitty can reach.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

xzzy posted:

My rocket got tipped over too, by a cat. Now it's on a shelf that no kitty can reach.

I've got no one to blame but myself. I picked it up off the floor one handed from the second stage. S1 fell off and then jerking my arm caused S3+ to fall off too.
I've gotten everything back together but S1 which is pretty properly hosed at the moment.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've dropped my UCS B wing twice and that thing is held together by hopes and prayers. Getting it back together was an hour long ordeal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

Haha look at this idiot. "A shelf no kitty can reach." You are living in ignorance.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

xzzy posted:

Ahahahahaha, "a shelf no kitty can reach". Yeah, right.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Since I have no place to put it at home and I have a couple coworkers who had shown interest in the SV, I decided to display it on my desk.

One of them is in his 60s. I called him over and his eyes lit up when he saw it. A big grin, too. He was around to watch the moon landing so I could see how much it resonated with him.

It's funny, in general I hate the US and am ashamed to be a citizen. But this model actually makes me feel proud. To look back and marvel at what we once accomplished. Pity our biggest accomplishment since then is being poo poo.

E1: I might be interested in some of those CMF. I forget which ones I was still looking for, though.

E2: My SV blew up, as well. I was trying to take the middle from the bottom with the top attached. Well, the middle came off just fine but the top decided it was time to launch and flew across the room and blew up. It's not held nearly as tightly as the middle.

I feel like I may have posted this already. But maybe not. It's been a weird few days.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 24, 2017

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Waltzing Along posted:

E2: My SV blew up, as well. I was trying to take the middle from the bottom with the top attached. Well, the middle came off just fine but the top decided it was time to launch and flew across the room and blew up. It's not held nearly as tightly as the middle.

:same:
You can definitely pick it up one-handed from the second stage, though, the S-IC / S-II connection is solid.

It's a shame Lego doesn't make more Saturn-quality real-life space sets (the SV is my first set since childhood). The UCS Star Wars appears to be the next best thing, but I'm not particularly attached to the franchise and most of the sets are discontinued (Lepin to the rescue?). The Imperial Shuttle does look great and so does the X-wing and the Falcon and the Blockade runner and the Venator and the Medical ship and drat look at that 911 GT3 and there's a kickass Tumbler too and... here I am marveling at plastic bricks like I'm 10 years old again.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Waltzing Along posted:

Since I have no place to put it at home and I have a couple coworkers who had shown interest in the SV, I decided to display it on my desk.

One of them is in his 60s. I called him over and his eyes lit up when he saw it. A big grin, too. He was around to watch the moon landing so I could see how much it resonated with him.

It's funny, in general I hate the US and am ashamed to be a citizen. But this model actually makes me feel proud. To look back and marvel at what we once accomplished. Pity our biggest accomplishment since then is being poo poo.

E1: I might be interested in some of those CMF. I forget which ones I was still looking for, though.

I feel like I may have posted this already. But maybe not. It's been a weird few days.

Are you my coworker? How do you feel about the AUDL?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What is AUDL?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
xposting from woodworking thread, a corner shelf I'm building tomorrow for books/lego

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like it. I'd like to see what it looks like when you are all finished.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Spookydonut posted:

xposting from woodworking thread, a corner shelf I'm building tomorrow for books/lego

I kinda love this.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Spookydonut posted:

Shouldn't you add a vertical board/post on the left though, saves you drilling a lot of holes in the wall?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Nice. I think in due time I'll get myself a Lego shelf too. Mine will have glass in front though, because gently caress dust.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
So, I have a few questions about the new Ninjago Movie sets, specifically Ninjago City. I've recently came back into Lego thanks to buying sets for my four-year old daughter, but realized I'm an adult now and can spend however much I want on this :v:

Since a lot of people seem pumped about City set, is there any risk of it being in shortage straight away once it's released?

Also, can I buy it at regular stores or is it D2C only?

Is the Lego VIP worth signing up for?

Will there be more than one wave of sets from the movie?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sets that big are usually only sold online (target etc) and in Lego stores. Depending on how popular it is, it could get back ordered but I've yet to see a single set since I got back into Lego, that Lego couldn't keep up with demand on. At worst you might have to wait a month for it but I doubt that city will be another Saturn V situation due to its price.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Zerf posted:

Is the Lego VIP worth signing up for?

For a set this big I'd think so. A few times a year there's a double VIP points offer, so if you wait for that you'll get $30 of points for this. It's also pretty simple to sign up.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
And it's free so there's like 0 zero reasons not to.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Spookydonut posted:

That looks nice! Good luck! Hey there's a woodworking thread? Can you link me? Sorry, off-topic!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

seravid posted:

:same:
You can definitely pick it up one-handed from the second stage, though, the S-IC / S-II connection is solid.

It's a shame Lego doesn't make more Saturn-quality real-life space sets (the SV is my first set since childhood). The UCS Star Wars appears to be the next best thing, but I'm not particularly attached to the franchise and most of the sets are discontinued (Lepin to the rescue?). The Imperial Shuttle does look great and so does the X-wing and the Falcon and the Blockade runner and the Venator and the Medical ship and drat look at that 911 GT3 and there's a kickass Tumbler too and... here I am marveling at plastic bricks like I'm 10 years old again.

The UCS Imperial shuttle has been discontinued for ages, but there's a regular version which looks amazing, it's basically UCS-quality. It's also retired, but very recently, you might still find it in stores.
Architecture sets
UCS cars
UCS vans
Giant one-offs

I'm not sure if those links will take you to my region's store or not, so those prices may be wrong for you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the newest version of the shuttle is just fantastic. It's actually really big too. It still commands a presence on a shelf next to UCS sets.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Cats tipping over Saturn Vs is small potatoes. My cat dumped the UCS Star Destroyer off a five foot high shelf. It sounded like someone dumping out a huge bin of loose pieces and the noise went on for days.

Speaking of Saturn Vs, I ordered June 2nd, and I'm on backorder with no date. Sucks. :(

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I was just looking at the Curiosity rover but, surprise, it's discontinued. There aren't too many parts and I should have a few of them in boxes somewhere, so I might look at brick stores (which I didn't know were a thing!) and build the thing "manually". People do that, right? Or does it end up being too expensive?

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah the newest version of the shuttle is just fantastic. It's actually really big too. It still commands a presence on a shelf next to UCS sets.
I haven't seen either IRL, but by looking at photos and clips on the internet I think I'm qualified to say that the Tydirium is a garbage ship with garbage wings compared to the gorgeous studless ones from the old set :colbert:

Krazyface posted:

I'm not sure if those links will take you to my region's store or not, so those prices may be wrong for you.

I appreciate the links and I'm sure those would be a blast to build (like that Ninjago tower and the Airjitzu and...), but I can't justify that kind of cash on sets about things I have no connection to. Honestly, (some of) the Star Wars ships only make the cut thanks to the iconic designs and me being a space nerd; given the choice, I'd much rather have a ISS or even a Soyuz to keep the Saturn company.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

seravid posted:

I was just looking at the Curiosity rover but, surprise, it's discontinued. There aren't too many parts and I should have a few of them in boxes somewhere, so I might look at brick stores (which I didn't know were a thing!) and build the thing "manually". People do that, right? Or does it end up being too expensive?

I did it. I am fairly certain it cost less than $50 after shipping. I bought from 3 different shops. Might have been below $40. Probably was, actually. There aren't many pieces and they are all common.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Feenix posted:

That looks nice! Good luck! Hey there's a woodworking thread? Can you link me? Sorry, off-topic!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2819334

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

My modular display. I've got to populate the top shelves yet and then my plan is to double up the size of the Palace Cinema. Currently bricklinking the Cafe Corner too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh I like your little alley between the restaurant and the square as a breathing space. Sandwiching up another building to the restaurant makes it loom over the open air space.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Oh I like your little alley between the restaurant and the square as a breathing space. Sandwiching up another building to the restaurant makes it loom over the open air space.

Thanks! Originally it was going to be a parking space for the Vacation Getaways camper van but that model is actually too long to fit on a baseplate. I figured some recycling bins was a nice non-smelly thing to include.

That's the original (non money laundering) washing machine from the Detective Agency that's been dumped.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

seravid posted:

I appreciate the links and I'm sure those would be a blast to build (like that Ninjago tower and the Airjitzu and...), but I can't justify that kind of cash on sets about things I have no connection to. Honestly, (some of) the Star Wars ships only make the cut thanks to the iconic designs and me being a space nerd; given the choice, I'd much rather have a ISS or even a Soyuz to keep the Saturn company.

If real spacecraft are your thing and you don't mind bricklink, the Hayabusa asteroid explorer was one of the first Cuusoo sets.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I built the Modern Modular House today and it's a neat improvement on the 3 in 1 homes. You build a couple of base shapes and can swap in door frames, window settings, and other accessories into gaps. That way you don't need to take apart the entire thing to build the other models, and you can swap in and out pieces from the other stuff in this line (there's a golf clubhouse and beach hut too that just came out).

I also got the Service Station on clearance at Target at 30% off, which, given the part count is what this should have cost to begin with. But I've always loved Lego gas stations and was glad to get this one.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I finished stage one of the Saturn V. What a cool build.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That gas station is 120 dollars? That's insane compared to the Saturn V.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

That gas station is 120 dollars? That's insane compared to the Saturn V.

60132 is $65.

Different gas station?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Benway posted:

If real spacecraft are your thing and you don't mind bricklink, the Hayabusa asteroid explorer was one of the first Cuusoo sets.

Neat. Odd that the one probe Lego made is this one and not Voyager, though.

edit: I see Cuusoo is/was Japanese, that explains it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What do you mean it was Japanese?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The first two ideas sets were exclusive to Japan. That's a bit misleading. The ideas sets started in Japan, hence were exclusive there. Whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't mean anything by it, really. I didn't know if they were still active since I had never heard of "Lego Cuusoo" sets before today.

edit: ^^^ well, there you go. Thanks for the explanation. ^^^