Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That's basically what I'm dealing with too. It's even worked its way under the patio and is popping out from all the cracks. It will be impossible to kill at this house, and as soon as we move out it will probably swallow the place whole. Luckily I'm just a renter who doesn't mind putting some effort into the garden. I know now that bamboo will be an immediate deal breaker when I'm looking to buy a place.

I like to look at some of the Reddit gardening subs, and there are way too many "Look at my brand new bamboo landscaping!!!" posts. Everyone tells them that they're idiots, but they usually defend it and swear that they'll maintain it. But that's the thing. You can take every precaution for 10 or 20 years and maybe everything will seem fine. But you let up for one season, or your barrier fails, and the bamboo is out. Every bamboo planting is a permanent installation that will one day take over the area.

This sounds cool I'd like a forest what kind of bamboo do you recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I will submit to our new bamboo overlords.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Well the birds have finally found my strawberries, it was too good to last. Going to net them all up. Any recipes for the birds that are dumb enough to get tangled up?

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Throw a cold frame on them my man, even here in FL I've found limitless uses for mine, Amazon a jewell made cold frame

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Well the birds have finally found my strawberries, it was too good to last. Going to net them all up. Any recipes for the birds that are dumb enough to get tangled up?

I'm about to have the same problem. I'm curious, will providing birdseed give them something else to distract them from my berries or just attract more birds?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Kjermzs posted:

I'm about to have the same problem. I'm curious, will providing birdseed give them something else to distract them from my berries or just attract more birds?

My understanding is the birds eat the berries for water, so maybe a well tended bird bath might do you better.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Funny, my wife wants one so looks like that joins the project list.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Broccoli leaves are loving delicious. The flower stalks are just tough fiber garbage

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Spookydonut posted:

Broccoli leaves are loving delicious. The flower stalks are just tough fiber garbage

Haha, glad that all worked out for you then. How did you prepare them?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Suspect Bucket posted:

Haha, glad that all worked out for you then. How did you prepare them?

Sauted in olive oil with some sliced garlic

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sometimes they can be a bit fibrous. You can peel the outside which may help if yours is super fibrous; the interior is usually less so.

Also cutting thin circles perpendicular to the stalk growth can help.

That's too bad though, the stalk is usually a good part!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Eeyo posted:

Sometimes they can be a bit fibrous. You can peel the outside which may help if yours is super fibrous; the interior is usually less so.

Also cutting thin circles perpendicular to the stalk growth can help.

That's too bad though, the stalk is usually a good part!

I tried all the ways of cutting/peeling them and they were still garbage. Maybe boiling them?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Spookydonut posted:

Sauted in olive oil with some sliced garlic

Nice. Eat them greens.

The fiberousness might be from the bolting as well. Next season you might want to look into less bolty varietes of broccoli. Or, if you're so fond of the leaves now, perhaps a raab/rabe focused variety.

http://www.grow-it-organically.com/broccoli-varieties.html#raab

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Suspect Bucket posted:

Nice. Eat them greens.

The fiberousness might be from the bolting as well. Next season you might want to look into less bolty varietes of broccoli. Or, if you're so fond of the leaves now, perhaps a raab/rabe focused variety.

http://www.grow-it-organically.com/broccoli-varieties.html#raab

These have been growing happily in that bed for 2 seasons now.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Harvesting a couple leaves here and there from my cauliflower, broccoli, and brussels sprouts etc, really helped to open my eyes to using greens from random stuff, and taking one leaf or two here and there also keeps the plants from getting lazy! ;)

When in doubt, look to recipes which use kale or collard greens etc. If you can find a collard recipe you like, you can eat pretty much any big leafy cole crop, because good lord are collard greens tough and chewy.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I need an emergency basil pro tip. I just moved and haven't set up any of the new drip system for anything, but I've got a basil in a large outdoor pot and I'm going out of town for 7 days. In northern nevada this time of year when its 95-100 every day, it needs well watered about every 48 hours. Even that is close to questionable but maybe that was only before it took root.

Can I:

1. Water the poo poo out of it and put it in the shade (like under the deck where it will only get 3-4 hours of morning sun) and be good for 6-7 days.
2. Water the poo poo out of it and leave it where it is, where it gets blasted almost all day long by 5000' elevation rays.
3. Move it to my front yard where I can tie it into the existing drip system relatively easily but I don't want to because it will still be a pain in the rear end. I've never really seen the drip system because it's under landscaping but it's probably not that hard to tie into next to an existing stupid flower.
4. Ask my new weird potentially multi generational Mormon family neighbors to water it for me.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Throw a cold frame on them my man, even here in FL I've found limitless uses for mine, Amazon a jewell made cold frame

Your gardening advice is as useless as your political opinions.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

scrubs season six posted:

I need an emergency basil pro tip. I just moved and haven't set up any of the new drip system for anything, but I've got a basil in a large outdoor pot and I'm going out of town for 7 days. In northern nevada this time of year when its 95-100 every day, it needs well watered about every 48 hours. Even that is close to questionable but maybe that was only before it took root.

Can I:

1. Water the poo poo out of it and put it in the shade (like under the deck where it will only get 3-4 hours of morning sun) and be good for 6-7 days.
2. Water the poo poo out of it and leave it where it is, where it gets blasted almost all day long by 5000' elevation rays.
3. Move it to my front yard where I can tie it into the existing drip system relatively easily but I don't want to because it will still be a pain in the rear end. I've never really seen the drip system because it's under landscaping but it's probably not that hard to tie into next to an existing stupid flower.
4. Ask my new weird potentially multi generational Mormon family neighbors to water it for me.

Can you wrap plastic around the bottom of the pot and flood the bottom third or so of the top, keep it in the shade?
I mean it might be a little bit unhappy about being drowned but its better than letting it dry out.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

scrubs season six posted:

Can I:

Put it inside?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Gounads posted:

Put it inside?

That'll dry it out just as quick if he's got the AC on.

I'd just set the pot in a shallow dish of water and cover the dish and dirt of the pot with a sheet or (not black) plastic to keep everything from evaporating away.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

None of my indoor plants dry out that fast, and I have the AC running constantly. I guess I could understand homes being drier in Nevada than Georgia though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Would you leave the AC running if you're gone for 7 days?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fitzy Fitz posted:

None of my indoor plants dry out that fast, and I have the AC running constantly. I guess I could understand homes being drier in Nevada than Georgia though.
Humidity levels vary drastically, and cause massive disparities in comfort levels as well as the amount of energy necessary to bring air to a comfortably conditioned zone. In higher humidities, you often need to remove moisture from the air in order to reach an appropriate comfort zone, iirc Willis Carrier accidentally discovered air conditioning physics because he was trying to reduce moisture levels in a large printing shop.

Look up psychrometrics (no it's not a typo) if you're curious, it's sort of like using a slide-rule to determine humidity and temperature relationships in order to determine HVAC system sizing.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hello everyone. I wasn't 100% sure where gardening and pest control questions go so I'm crossposting in a couple places. This looks good. Please forgive my post if inappropriate.

I have a serious grasshopper issue. Huge numbers of the little bastards have spent the last few weeks systematically denuding my fruit trees and I need to draw the line. I haven't observed neem oil doing a darn thing and when I applied a very heavy garlic spray today it didn't seem to drive them off either - in fact, when I scattered the extra garlic-rich mealy substance left over from my reduction at the base of a tree, I swear I witnessed some of the drat things eating it directly. So much for garlic repellent.

Advice?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Release a swarm of hornets for the live ones, then release a bunch of skunks to clean up the bodies and the eggs.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Growing basil for the first time this year and its coming up lovely. I'd like to make some pesto from it, but all the recipes I find want 2 or more cups of basil leaves. How do I make just enough pesto for one or two servings?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SuperKlaus posted:

Hello everyone. I wasn't 100% sure where gardening and pest control questions go so I'm crossposting in a couple places. This looks good. Please forgive my post if inappropriate.
Advice?

RELEASE THE CHICKENS :henget:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LLSix posted:

Growing basil for the first time this year and its coming up lovely. I'd like to make some pesto from it, but all the recipes I find want 2 or more cups of basil leaves. How do I make just enough pesto for one or two servings?

i dont mean this to be snarky but you figure out how much basil you have and apply that ratio to the other ingredients.

edit also make sure you are pruning your basil fpr additional growth. two cups from one plant is more than possible

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Having made pesto before, I think most recipes are for a somewhat large quantity because it's actually harder to make less of it. Like it'll just end up getting stuck to the sides of the food processor constantly because there's not enough mass to toss around and cause friction in there.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Mash that poo poo up in a strong bowl with that muddler you got for the cocktails you never made and you're fine.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
On one of my tomatillo plants, the leaves are turning dark green, thick, and leathery; the flowers on these sections look dull and mottled; and fruit is not developing as well as other areas of the plant, which have quarter-sized fruits in the husks already. I gave them a drink of 2-4-0 liquid fertilizer 3 or 4 weeks ago, and water only when dry a couple inches down. The rest of the plant is not exhibiting over- or under-watering stress, which leads me to believe it may be fungal/viral. It could be a nutrient deficiency, but I have another tomatillo in the same size (tall 18") pot with the same soil and same watering/fertilizer schedule with no problems, not that that means much. I also have a few herbs in these pots and the affected pot has a couple spanish marigold volunteers while the other does not, but I'm not aware of any negative interaction between these two plants and ground cherries don't mind marigold buddies. I haven't noticed any aphids or other critters on the affected areas, though just about all the leaves on both plants have some sort of insect damage. That's never stopped my tomatillos in the past. What do you folks think?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Sir Lemming posted:

Having made pesto before, I think most recipes are for a somewhat large quantity because it's actually harder to make less of it. Like it'll just end up getting stuck to the sides of the food processor constantly because there's not enough mass to toss around and cause friction in there.

Right.

Just make a full batch and freeze the extra. I actually dump it in an ice cube tray and freeze individual pesto cubes for later use.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Jan posted:

Right.

Just make a full batch and freeze the extra. I actually dump it in an ice cube tray and freeze individual pesto cubes for later use.

This is what my wife and I do, and it's awesome.

Also, make sure you're picking basil the right way, so that it will produce all summer long.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Suspect Bucket posted:

RELEASE THE CHICKENS :henget:

This really is the solution, if you want everything in the area you release them in to die you can't do any better than these loving raptors

Otherwise try azadirachtin

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
I am trying to figure out what I did wrong with my raised beds since everything in them seems to be growing very slowly. They are 8'x4'x12" and filled with a moderately priced local planting soil that is supposed to be great. But corn starts planted in the landscape with the same soil are doing much better (easily 3-5x as mature) and my tomatoes are nowhere near as large/productive as ones I grew last year in containers using cheap bagged soil.

I didn't do anything special to the beds before I added the soil; my yard has an inch or two of bark mulch and then landscape cloth underneath. I was under the impression that raised beds didn't need extra drainage, so perhaps I'm under watering? When I dig down a few inches in both areas the soil seems equally moist. The only other difference is that the landscape corn were planted behind a retaining wall that seems to hold mostly sand rather than my rocky topsoil; I pulled back the cloth and made a 12" trench which I filled with soil.

Novo fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 16, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
What were the NPP numbers on the soil you purchased?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah, that photo with the corn having red-purple edges on their leaves makes me think they're severely deficient in phosphorus.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
I don't have numbers on the soil, but it's this stuff.

I noticed the purple too but the weird thing is the same soil is used in both photos...

Novo fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 17, 2017

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Novo posted:

I don't have numbers on the soil, but it's this stuff.

I noticed the purple too but the weird thing is the same soil is used in both photos...

Total Nitrogen: 0.02% Avail. Phosphate: 0.05% Sol. Potash: 0.3%

e: for reference the cheap bag compost that I used to get for potted plants is 0.3% 0.1% 0.1%

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
man my tomatoes are blighted. been spraying with copper but it's only slowing it down a bit. doesn't help that my neighbours seem content to let their plants turn into yellow shriveled blightballs before they get a single harvested fruit

that plus the crazy hail we had three weeks ago is really going to hamper my crop but we're still looking good. guessing we'll end up with about 200-300 san marzanos and god, I don't even know, hundreds of cherry tomatoes. does anyone need cherry tomatoes?