Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Whatever it is like, just remember it can't be as hard a left turn into :wtc: as School Days' last episode.

Kado is a new addition to the :wtc: list. Asspull of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There Bias Two posted:

Kado is a new addition to the :wtc: list. Asspull of the season.

Well you can't say that without sharing :suspense:.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I want to recommend Hajime No Ippo to everyone. I don't see it recommended a lot here or maybe I just don't notice. But this show is just amazing. Its a sports anime thats not just a copy of shounen tropes.

It does have hype moments you would see in shounen and some characters have some "special abilities" but they are not out of the realm of possibility. More than that it has a great story. Its not just about Ippo punching people in the face but what its like to be pro boxer in your regular life. Also all the characters get developed even the trainers, ippo's one time opponents you never see again. Its like the perfect mix of drama from shows like Ashita no Joe/Slam Dunk and the hype of shows like Haikyuu/Kuroko no Basket.

Even if you don't like sports this one is really good. The anime has a bunch of seasons and movies all done by the brilliant Madhouse, the manga is still on going so not all of it is adapted.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Seconding the Ippo recommendation. I generally can't stand that sort of sports/shounen thing but it's hella good.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm on episode 30 of Ippo right now and it's been a wonderful ride so far.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Yes I am still in season 1 and drat this anime still looks good for a early 2000s production. Can't wait to get the more recent seasons which were made in hd.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ippo is fine but it goes on for literally forever and features little to no progress for the titular character once he reaches a certain level on top of having a slew of racial caricature/gimmick fights.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The first season / 72 + movies rules, season 2 is lame, season 3 is dope as gently caress.

The manga has been poo poo for like ten years

There is an ancient and ongoing thread dedicated to it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I was speaking about the first season which is universally liked. Have seen bits of sequels and movies they looked good aesthetically not sure about the story.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Even tho Ippo eventually gets real bad it's definitely worth pointing out that not only is the first season consistently great, but it does end at a point that feels just fine for an ending. So even though the story has been going on for decades you can just watch that and leave feeling satisfied.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

If you think about it Hajime no Ippo started in the same year as the original Dragon Ball in '89. There has been 4 different dragon ball series since than...

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Has he hosed that creepy dude's sister yet, or is this another Oh! My Goddess! situation.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

O!MG! with more brain damage

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
I have $30 to spend on Amazon, and I want to spend it on 1st volumes of several manga. can anyone recommend a good spread? Pretty much anything action, sci-fi, or comedy, but staying away from Berserk, My Hero Academia, One-Punch Man, Mob Psycho 100 or any Junji Ito since I've read/watched those already.

Kinda eye-ballin' Delicious in Dungeon, is that any good?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Delicious in Dungeon is fantastic. I also recommend Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer and Spirit Circle for good fun action with great storytelling.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ross Perowned posted:

I have $30 to spend on Amazon, and I want to spend it on 1st volumes of several manga. can anyone recommend a good spread? Pretty much anything action, sci-fi, or comedy, but staying away from Berserk, My Hero Academia, One-Punch Man, Mob Psycho 100 or any Junji Ito since I've read/watched those already.

Kinda eye-ballin' Delicious in Dungeon, is that any good?

It's extremely food

I typoed good as food by accident but it is both of these things, it's one of the best currently running manga series

I would say if there's an omnibus for battle angel alita(the original series to get you started) to get that, assuming it's currently in print, it's an iconic series in the sci-fi genre.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Captain Invictus posted:

It's extremely food

I typoed good as food by accident but it is both of these things, it's one of the best currently running manga series

I would say if there's an omnibus for battle angel alita(the original series to get you started) to get that, assuming it's currently in print, it's an iconic series in the sci-fi genre.

Bad news: there aren't omnibus editions for Battle Angel Alita.

Good news: there will be new ones released in a couple months.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StrixNebulosa posted:

loving FINALLY! And deluxe hardcovers, no less :swoon:

Now if only they'd loving release Omnibus 6 of Last Order after three. Goddamn. Years. :argh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hot drat, putting all three on my wishlist. Definitely grabbing those down the line.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Since people knew their stuff on Evangelion, I might as well ask here.

I want to buy the new Attack on Titan Blu-ray, but I get the impression that most bonus material including audio commentary - which is what I'm the most interested in - is just with the dumb US voice actors. Anyone know what's in Japanese and what's not?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ufarn posted:

Since people knew their stuff on Evangelion, I might as well ask here.

I want to buy the new Attack on Titan Blu-ray, but I get the impression that most bonus material including audio commentary - which is what I'm the most interested in - is just with the dumb US voice actors. Anyone know what's in Japanese and what's not?

Audio commentary is always the US voice actors in DVD/Blu-Ray releases, you never seen Japanese ones added in with subtitles or anything like that.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Audio commentary is always the US voice actors in DVD/Blu-Ray releases, you never seen Japanese ones added in with subtitles or anything like that.
Oh bummer, thanks for the heads up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Movies sometimes do, Utena and Metropolis off the top of my head had director commentary with subtitles.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Studio Ghibli tend to emphasize the Pixar/Disney relationship, I recall there being a bunch of material on the English version on Howl's, but I can't remember whether it happened at the outright expense of original content.

With stuff like Ghost in the Shell (the anime), I don't think there was much English material, but that was before nerd culture went mainstream and people probably cared about US VAs being at cons and stuff.

I've never been too into anime aside from movies, and although I've never watched them with dubs, I haven't never thought about whether any original Japanese material was thrown out.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 8, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I watched the Castlevania show on Netflix yesterday and is there anything that's similar only good? Being subbed is a plus

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

theres a few anime with audio commentary of the japanese cast subbed, but they're a rarity. monogatari is one i can think of

Len posted:

I watched the Castlevania show on Netflix yesterday and is there anything that's similar only good? Being subbed is a plus

horror is not exactly a popular genre for anime, and especially not ones with copious amounts of violence and monster hunting. stuff like hellsing ultimate and vampire hunter d (haven't watched that one myself, so idk) is probably the closest you will get. berserk has a lot of monsters getting destroyed too (certainly more than the 3 terrible fights the castlevania show had) but the anime adaptations are unfinished or terribly ugly

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I think it depends on if the Japanese and English distributor is the same, which is the case with Aniplex shows and some movies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Davincie posted:

theres a few anime with audio commentary of the japanese cast subbed, but they're a rarity. monogatari is one i can think of

horror is not exactly a popular genre for anime, and especially not ones with copious amounts of violence and monster hunting. stuff like hellsing ultimate and vampire hunter d (haven't watched that one myself, so idk) is probably the closest you will get. berserk has a lot of monsters getting destroyed too (certainly more than the 3 terrible fights the castlevania show had) but the anime adaptations are unfinished or terribly ugly

Don't watch the first Vampire Hunter D movie, watch Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust instead. It's a great action film, and the only connection between the two is the protagonist.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you want horror-horror, try Shiki and Higurashi. If you want action-horror, try the Hellsing OVAs and movie(s?).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Shortest Path posted:

If you want horror-horror, try Shiki and Higurashi. If you want action-horror, try the Hellsing OVAs and movie(s?).

Hellsing Ultimate is just a straight set of ten OVA's, each one the adaptation of its respective manga volume.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's the one I meant, I couldn't remember which was which.

Hellsing Ultimate is really fuckin good.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Len posted:

Watch everything directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Watch everything directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

How is the anime for Kingdom? It's getting recommended to me left and right lately. Well, the manga has, but I don't have as much energy for manga these days but I might be down for an anime marathon if it's decently animated and faithful for the source.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Higurashi imo has more mystery and has lots more "scary" moments or wtf moments but Shiki is a horror story with depth. It is really good and delves into pretty interesting topics such as immortality, discrimination, segregation etc... The art style in Shiki is kinda a weird at first but it's mostly the hair and faces being really sharp. Shiki also has god tier soundtrack and the ops are amazing too. Higurashi is more flashy kind of horror but Shiki is the one that will make you think more.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Higurashi also looks like trash but it's pretty good, though as a full package I have trouble thinking of something I love more than Shiki for horror.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

Higurashi also looks like trash but it's pretty good, though as a full package I have trouble thinking of something I love more than Shiki for horror.

Totally agree. Shiki is fantasy but it could easily have been a real story because you could replace vampires with a minority with some bad stereotype. That's what makes it even scarier.

Higurashi just looks like a standard early-mid 2000s anime while Shiki has a more distinct style which might put off some people. I thought maybe Clamp did the characters in Shiki because they have the same sharp/angular characters as Clamp shows like Code Geass. I prefer Shiki's style way more than the generic Higurashi style.

Higurashi is also way longer because it has two seasons. Meanwhile, Shiki is only 22 episode/1 full season with a great ending.

Only bad thing about Shiki is that it is a slow burn. I don't mind that but if you want cliffhangers and the plot appearing immediately Shiki isn't that.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Does this thread also do manga recommendations? I tried looking for a thread specifically for that, but I only found this and the thread where people post a bunch of images from different series. If this is the wrong place then I apologize.

If it's the right place: What are some manga with well drawn scifi worlds? I've already read everything by Otomo and Nihei, as well as other well known stuff like Nausicaa and GitS. I particularly love the architectural draftsmanship of Otomo and Nihei's stuff and will overlook weak stories (Nihei doesn't do much for me) if a series does that aspect well. GitS, on the other hand, isn't really what I'm looking for as its artwork isn't really focused on the world. Miyazaki's Nausicaa still fits, but not as well as the first two artists. Beautiful world, less of a draftsmanship quality. Outside of Japan, I also really love the work of Jean "Moebius" Giraud, for the same reasons.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

Does this thread also do manga recommendations? I tried looking for a thread specifically for that, but I only found this and the thread where people post a bunch of images from different series. If this is the wrong place then I apologize.

If it's the right place: What are some manga with well drawn scifi worlds? I've already read everything by Otomo and Nihei, as well as other well known stuff like Nausicaa and GitS. I particularly love the architectural draftsmanship of Otomo and Nihei's stuff and will overlook weak stories (Nihei doesn't do much for me) if a series does that aspect well. GitS, on the other hand, isn't really what I'm looking for as its artwork isn't really focused on the world. Miyazaki's Nausicaa still fits, but not as well as the first two artists. Beautiful world, less of a draftsmanship quality. Outside of Japan, I also really love the work of Jean "Moebius" Giraud, for the same reasons.

Have you read Yokohama Shopping Trip(Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou)? That's my recommendation.

e:

I somehow swapped your desire for landscapes vs architecture, but i'm sticking with the rec. :v:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Planetes and Five Star Stories are the first things that spring to mind.

I'm reading Gundam 0083: Rebellion right now, which is so far a better manga retelling of the Gundam OVA with the best Cool Space Bits and the worst plotting.