Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

exploded mummy posted:

Dave Meltzer's (longtime MMA and wrestling writer) father passed away because of pancreatic cancer today.

to follow up, he wrote about his dad in his latest newsletter.

I'm half debating if I want to post it here, because it's subscription content, but goddamn its :smith:

guess a snippet wouldn't be too bad

quote:

Both of my parents loved meeting and talking to Observer readers. There were a few that my mom talked to, and they made her so happy. Last year when I was being honored at the Thesz/Tragos Hall of Fame in Waterloo, IA, it was so wonderful to see just how happy they were there. Because of that, that weekend meant so much more to me than I ever expected it would. I’ve said before but again want to thank Kyle Klingman and Gerald Brisco for making that decision and Larry Matysik, who spurred them on to doing it. For my mom, in particular, riding in the car from the airport and spending the weekend talking with Charlie Thesz, the widow of Lou, was such as a big thing.

I’m so glad it happened last year, because this year’s ceremony is only a few weeks away. If I had waited another year to go, or if they had waited another two years to ask, it would have been too late. Unfortunately, literally starting with the day of that ceremony, this has been a horrible year. I don’t say that to complain because I’m not. I really have no right to complain because I’ve been blessed with a wonderful family, great friends, and a job, that while difficult, is also wonderful in so many ways. In some ways, this has been a wonderful year because of my kids. But in other ways it’s been a bad year, due to situations involving some of the closest people to me, both those who have made me laugh for decades, or been with me through my tough times and were nothing but unselfish about it.

Anyone around this business as it was a decade ago, in theory, has to learn to deal with death all the time.

Life always changes. There are so many different points in life and periods that you wish would last forever. They don’t. It’s the cycle of life. There are wonderful periods and savor them and remember them and you can’t be bitter or unhappy that things have changed, because people close to you that feel like a part of you are at some point not going to be there, but others will come. There are hard periods, and when they come, remember that they are also only temporary. I was so happy at the end of 2016, as for some reason, I thought that terrible last five-and-a-half months, not at all business related, was over. But it wasn’t. One day I woke up and Scott Williams was gone, out of nowhere. Not any kind of warning past he told me a few months earlier in passing that his blood pressure was very high. My cousin, who is like a twin sister to me, told me about her pancreatic cancer as soon as I got back from Waterloo, telling me she wanted to surprise me by showing up. It was funny because when I got there I told her that even though I never asked her to come, that I realized she should have been there. But she was undergoing chemo treatments and after very difficult and invasive surgery, thankfully appears to be cancer free today. Literally minutes after sending the text to my cousin, I found out another close family member had been airlifted to the hospital in ICU. The folks in Waterloo had put on the Hall of Fame banquet and Lex Luger had blown it off because he had an autograph signing and Chael Sonnen canceled when his college wrestling coach passed away and the funeral was on the same day, and I know Sonnen felt terrible about it. There were no flights out until the next morning so I had no choice to make, but unfortunately, I was not fully able to enjoy that weekend the way my parents were able to.

This year between Dave Korner and Frank Deford, you are talking people so instrumental in how my life turned out. And I don’t want to not mention Jan Ross, because just the suddenness of her death and the nature of it hit me hard. With Dave Korner, we knew about his brain operations and he flat out told me he’s fine with it and was happy with his life. Still, there wasn’t a second that I processed that it was going to happen, and it wasn’t until I didn’t get an e-mail from him on WrestleMania morning asking who was coming and what sandwiches to bring that it hit me. Similarly, I was not close with Buddy Wayne. I had met him, but he was like a mentor to Bryan Alvarez, so that makes it hit home with me.

After the stroke, My mother was still alive and I was so grateful for that, but I thought the mother I knew my whole life mentally was not the same and I had thought that person was never coming back. This past week, for whatever reason, and obviously it has to do with the reality of my father, she did come back after eight months, almost completely, from a personality standpoint. But it took the fact that the man she first dated at 16 and married at 21 was going to die and then, I don’t know if it was miraculously or what, she was back. Unfortunately, she was back to get nothing but bad news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Jon said on twitter that this was day two of 11 for that future of football thing.

:munch:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Fun article on the development of the original NBA Jam.

Wish they would have talked more about the hidden characters, though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

In today's latest edition of "why print is dead" we have a Detroit Free Press columnist saying the big problem in youth sports isn't participation trophies, nor shithead parents, nor abusive coaches, nor injuries...

...but snacks.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Bois' last feature popped up in the Pocket feed as "Intro : What football will look like in the future." I cannot wait for the responses from unsuspecting readers.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Jam TE had like hundreds of them, didn't they? Devs, mascots, legend players, celebrities, Mortal Kombat characters, etc.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

In today's latest edition of "why print is dead" we have a Detroit Free Press columnist saying the big problem in youth sports isn't participation trophies, nor shithead parents, nor abusive coaches, nor injuries...

...but snacks.

Lol wtf Shawn. I know Albom hasn't written much this year but you don't need to pick up his slack

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

RC and Moon Pie posted:

This is a cool article. I didn't know the NBA Jam announcer also did the voice for pinball games like Twilight Zone. Also did the NBA really think arcade games were only played in seedy places in the early 90's? I wonder how many new fans that game brought into the sport.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/harrylylesjr/status/884195780596297728

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
That's one case where I'd 100% believe the "my account was hacked" excuse, that sentence contains zero corporate endorsements and dollar signs

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/ashleyxholcomb/status/884211964809031680

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Hey, man! Loving the underwear brand!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Just a normal situation about which you get really excited

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Figured Rovell would be used to having his drawers pulled up over his belt.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Anals of History posted:

Bois' last feature popped up in the Pocket feed as "Intro : What football will look like in the future." I cannot wait for the responses from unsuspecting readers.

I know exactly what the future of football will look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn_EiAzW2uQ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rovell is even more pathetic than I thought

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

keep it in your pants, Darren

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Rovell is the type of guy who puts Apple stickers on his macbook

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Today's the anniversary of the Brandi Chastain sports bra celebration. After the playboy super bowl party incident this is probably the thing Rovell is the creepiest about. He basically asked her if she still has it and can he see it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Today's the anniversary of the Brandi Chastain sports bra celebration. After the playboy super bowl party incident this is probably the thing Rovell is the creepiest about. He basically asked her if she still has it and can he see it.

The photographer nearly didn't get that shot. They basically dodged and persuaded security to get behind the goal. The story is a pretty fun read.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Shoot your shot hall of famer.

First ballot unanimous

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

exploded mummy posted:

to follow up, he wrote about his dad in his latest newsletter.

I'm half debating if I want to post it here, because it's subscription content, but goddamn its :smith:

guess a snippet wouldn't be too bad

Bleh )=. Life is the worst.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
UFC banned Ariel Helwani from covering the Mayweather/McGregor foght

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

UFC banned Ariel Helwani from covering the Mayweather/McGregor foght

hahahahaha god they are still such a joke with that

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Jon Bois' current thing reminds me a bit of some of Zack Parsons' frontpage series, especially That Insidious Beast.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

hahahahaha god they are still such a joke with that

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/884841547019071488

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

He and Dana just need to gently caress already and get everything over with.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

C. Everett Koop posted:

He and Dana just need to gently caress already and get everything over with.

I thought dana was out at the UFC since they got bought out?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ramadu posted:

No. He sold his shares but they want him around as the figurehead still.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Dana's still the face/ambassador of the UFC. I don't think he has any official pull but i'm guessing they're just letting him run poo poo without his ownership stake

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Ramadu posted:

From an article Rovell (I know) wrote the other day, ol' Lex Luthor here gets 7% of profits, in addition to the 9-digits he got from the sale. I get keeping White on for a little while after the sale because lord knows who could step up and immediately fill those shoes, but I'm amazed they're not trying to groom a replacement that's a little less volatile.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Unsurprising

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/885242822122770432

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
In which a broke brained racist brit tries to intertwine politics and sports

https://www.infowars.com/new-adidas-promo-censors-cleveland-indians-name/

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Spoeank posted:

well, imagine my shock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72KbeqN7pZ4

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Spoeank posted:

I'm ignorant about the history of the word Indians; it wasn't a slur originally, but that doesn't mean it didn't become one. But sweet Christ, they have got to get rid of Wahoo. And if they really want to be ballsy, they can dig deep into their own history and be the only pro or major college team (sorry Richmond) in all of American sports to be the Spiders. The potential cross-marketing with Sony/Marvel could be very lucrative and oh god I'm talking like Darren Rovell.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'm ignorant about the history of the word Indians; it wasn't a slur originally, but that doesn't mean it didn't become one. But sweet Christ, they have got to get rid of Wahoo. And if they really want to be ballsy, they can dig deep into their own history and be the only pro or major college team (sorry Richmond) in all of American sports to be the Spiders. The potential cross-marketing with Sony/Marvel could be very lucrative and oh god I'm talking like Darren Rovell.

As a Cleveland fan, I've said before, and I've had a few agree with me on this, but I think they should just change the name to the Tribe. People call them that anyways, it has no real negative connotation to my knowledge, and you can come up with a new logo, which means more money for the team and a nice PR sentiment. Or keep the red block C. Either works, you're still honoring the area's history without coming off as ignorant fuckwits.

The only person who would really complain is Curt Schilling, which means it's probably a good idea.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

It's not that "Indians" is a slur like "Redskins" is, Native groups don't want to be depicted as mascots at all.

But good God they could at least take wahoo off everything while they sort the rest out.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ramadu posted:

The only major person left from Zuffa is basically Dana. The Fertitas, Dana, and Joe Silva got bough out. WME kept Silva on until the start of the year and then he retired. Dana is as said before basically a figurehead for continuity.

Most everyone else major got axed when WME started cost savings.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

looks like a bunch of recently fired writers are starting a paid site

https://twitter.com/thebiglead/status/885620466144223232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
While I agree with you all, the point is that PJW wrote an entire article about the Cleveland Indians due to a 3 second throw away in a video that has nothing to do with the Cleveland Indians