Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Depends on how you define "failure", I guess. I mean, it's the golden age of humans as a race - but with all the factions and fighting the only way you can tell is that everyone else has that much less. But I imagine it was the same with the other races - Jaghut too busy to notice it with infighting and subjugation of other races, Imass warred among themselves and the Jaghut and had a great time until they couldn't sustain themselves by fighting... I think only the K'Chain were pretty much hosed from the get-go because IIRC they come from somewhere else.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Civilisations are like military careers - they always end in failure.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think that's the point he's making, yes. Like we think of the races as monolithic but they all suffered from infighting.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I'm thoroughly enjoying Forge of Darkness, it's characters and development. One thing tho, Jesus Christ Olar Ethil and everything related to her! Is she like, responsible for EVERYTHING?

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

turboraton posted:

I'm thoroughly enjoying Forge of Darkness, it's characters and development. One thing tho, Jesus Christ Olar Ethil and everything related to her! Is she like, responsible for EVERYTHING?

She likes to think so.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If she isn't responsible for it, she'll claim the responsibility for it anyway. Not the most trustworthy character out there.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Due to work and studies I can't read that much but man, this book is a treasure.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

All the Olar Ethil poo poo was just misinformation piled upon misinformation and it left me utterly cold. But the Tiste scenes had this wonderful Austen-esque feel to them, and is probably the high point of his dialogue.

Especially Gripp. I knew Erikson could reliably make me weep, but I figured he'd need more than half a page to do so. He just drops the flowery language in favour of dry stoicism and the emotion weight of half the book comes pouring in through a half dozen lines of dialogue.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I was told like a year ago to post reactions in here from my first reading of these books. Sorry it took me so long.

Holy loving poo poo Anomander Rake just cut the goddamned head off of the God of Death, this poo poo is hosed up
^^spoilers from book 8 chapter 20^^

Thank you random goon for recommending this series to me in the book suggestion thread a long rear end time ago.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 19, 2017

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I caved and decided to reread Deadhouse Gates. This is my first time re-reading a Malazan book. Everything makes so much more sense!

And somehow everything hurts so much more

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's amazing how good these books are a second time around. Like when people say this series is great for rereading they really aren't kidding. Amazingly all the details are consistent for the most part, apart from some questionable timeline stuff and GOTMisms like Dessembrae being present for the CG's chaining.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

It's amazing how good these books are a second time around. Like when people say this series is great for rereading they really aren't kidding. Amazingly all the details are consistent for the most part, apart from some questionable timeline stuff and GOTMisms like Dessembrae being present for the CG's chaining.

he's been chained more than once

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
So I just finished Forge of Darkness and drat Erikson gets better and better. Sadly I don't have Fall of Light available so I'll just have to read Crack Pot Trail meanwhile. I'm honestly having Malazan withdrawals!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

turboraton posted:

So I just finished Forge of Darkness and drat Erikson gets better and better. Sadly I don't have Fall of Light available so I'll just have to read Crack Pot Trail meanwhile. I'm honestly having Malazan withdrawals!

My favourite part of FoD is how Anomander Rake has basically gone from Drizz't to Mr Darcy. Dude's got layers

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, Erikson cited Dickens as one of his chief inspirations for that trilogy...

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Well, Erikson cited Dickens as one of his chief inspirations for that trilogy...

The side characters I can definitely see that - especially the inept legion officers. And Gripp Galap. Every Gripp scene is incredible.

I kind of want to see Erikson go full bore Shakespeare with it. He's got the linguistic flair to pull off at least the goofier moments - Mercutio, Benvolio etc.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Pretty sure he has gotten very close with Fall of Light hence its devisive reviews.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I started Dancer's Lament last night... was I really tired, really high, or is ICE improving?

Edit other than the gratuitous and unnecessary peppering of Crimson Guard

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
People generally seem to like it; I honestly found it pretty boring and the finale extremely underwhelming but it's still better than, say, Assail.
I still maintain it's got to win some award for "epilogue reveal the least people give a gently caress about".

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 2, 2017

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Dancer's Lament was above average for ICE, so a huge step up from Assail. I might be favoring it more cause my expectations bottomed out after Assail. I barely remember the plot at all, though, for whatever that's worth.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Got back to continuing this series since I haven't read in a while. Currently reading The Bonehunters. IS it me or is Apsalar's chapters absolutely a slog. She is such a boring cookie cutter edgy assasin character.. Whenever I read her chapters I feel like I am reading a angsty teen novel. Even with Curdle and Terolast who have amazing dialogue they can't carry her sections. I was thinking they were gonna reach Tehol/Bugg level comedy but Apsalar's involvement ruins the joy of everything.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I think she grows bit by bit. She's basically a husk of a person when her actual storyline starts after she is released from being possessed by Cotillion

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Thing is, that happens as early as GotM.
For what it's worth, I agree, she is boring as hell. I think Bonehunters is the last book where you really have to put up with her, though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

her and crokus suck poo poo individually but for some reason i like when the two of them are together, they're oddly adorable

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Thing is, that happens as early as GotM.
For what it's worth, I agree, she is boring as hell. I think Bonehunters is the last book where you really have to put up with her, though.

Ya the Cotillion ruining or eliminating her personality excuse doesn't make that much sense.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

her and crokus suck poo poo individually but for some reason i like when the two of them are together, they're oddly adorable

Crokus is horrible too and I do agree they seemed more interesting as an odd awkward couple instead of separate characters.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Two minor questions:

1) Do we ever learn what the deal is with Burn? Or at least an explanation for why the Malazan empire uses "Burns Sleep" as a measure of the years when it's monstrously inaccurate, and when Burn doesn't seem that big a deal to the Malazans anyway.

2) Is realm where Setoc picks up all her wolf ghosts the T'lan Ay world that the Mhybe is dreaming in MoI? It's the only way I can see to make sense of what Togg and Fanderay are up to, but that's really bleak and depressing even by Erikksons standards.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Two minor questions:

1) Do we ever learn what the deal is with Burn? Or at least an explanation for why the Malazan empire uses "Burns Sleep" as a measure of the years when it's monstrously inaccurate, and when Burn doesn't seem that big a deal to the Malazans anyway.

2) Is realm where Setoc picks up all her wolf ghosts the T'lan Ay world that the Mhybe is dreaming in MoI? It's the only way I can see to make sense of what Togg and Fanderay are up to, but that's really bleak and depressing even by Erikksons standards.
1) You get a bit more background on her in Forge, as for the reason they use it as a measure, I suspect they nicked it from some other culture or ascendant (Icarium? He's obsessed with measuring time, it wouldn't be a stretch for him to choose an obscure baseline. Hell, AD isn't exactly precise eihter)

2) That's how I read it as well.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I like to think it's a subtle clue towards the fact that the history/ known timeline of the world is a little screwy.

Y'know, it's BS. :rimshot:

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 11, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm about to finish book 7 and uh... did Erickson go through a divorce between book 6 and 7 because there's a lot of weird psychosexual poo poo out of no where.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm about to finish book 7 and uh... did Erickson go through a divorce between book 6 and 7 because there's a lot of weird psychosexual poo poo out of no where.

You're gonna love book 9.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

cptn_dr posted:

I like to think it's a subtle clue towards the fact that the history/ known timeline of the world is a little screwy.

Y'know, it's BS. :rimshot:

It's more than a little screwy - it's out by like half a million years. I've just never been able to pick up any hints as to what happened 1194 years ago to make it a sensible baseline.

I did like the bit in MoI about how the world is made of rocks floating on lava, but it's also made of her body and entirely in her own head. Metaphors make life so easy.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Just finished a Malazan series re-read.

Tool & Tehol stole Trull's happy ending.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

You shut up Trull got his happy ending :arghfist::saddowns:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

i hosed him and cummed in him

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Hey I'm ok with Tehol, it's Tool that grates on me.
Tool got TWO happy endings and I'm dreading Tool showing up in the unwritten Karsa trilogy for a 3rd happy ending.

Fall of Light was a, uh, ambiguous read; and with my recent Malazan series re-read, kinda thinking that the Azath house builder that Nimander 2 stumbled across when meeting Gothos the jaghut might just be Grizzin Farl aka the Protector.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Hey I'm ok with Tehol, it's Tool that grates on me.
Tool got TWO happy endings and I'm dreading Tool showing up in the unwritten Karsa trilogy for a 3rd happy ending.

Fall of Light was a, uh, ambiguous read; and with my recent Malazan series re-read, kinda thinking that the Azath house builder that Nimander 2 stumbled across when meeting Gothos the jaghut might just be Grizzin Farl aka the Protector.

Only halfway into Fall (interspersing it with writing a masters dissertation is a great way to totally forget who all the characters are) but I got the impression that Farl is the Forulkan god who gets murdered and shattered. They've taken to worshiping him as a god, and it's easy to see how a chill dude like Grizzen would fail to live up to their expectations of a God.

I'm also definitely thinking that Karkhanas would be best read around the middle of BotF. Had I done so, the reveals of Korabas Otar Tantaral and kid Gear would have made me lose my poo poo in a big way.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Only halfway into Fall (interspersing it with writing a masters dissertation is a great way to totally forget who all the characters are) but I got the impression that Farl is the Forulkan god who gets murdered and shattered. They've taken to worshiping him as a god, and it's easy to see how a chill dude like Grizzen would fail to live up to their expectations of a God.

I'm also definitely thinking that Karkhanas would be best read around the middle of BotF. Had I done so, the reveals of Korabas Otar Tantaral and kid Gear would have made me lose my poo poo in a big way.

I don't see Farl as that, for that exact same reason you mentioned.
Skillen, K'rul's figurative & literal wingman in Fall of Light, yeah Skillen fits that role much better.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

I don't see Farl as that, for that exact same reason you mentioned.

Eh? I'm not following.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

It'll make more sense once you finish Fall of Light.
Farl is too chill for those dudes to even consider worshipping him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Bonehunters finally starting to pick towards the mid part. This has been probably the slowest book of Malazan alongside Gardens of Moon. Memories of Ice, House of Chains and Midnight Tides were so good back to back.